The Euros are better than the World Cup - Change My Mind

MrBearightside

Here is a reminder of the World Cup teams of 2018

The fact that Panama were there and Italy were not there makes it laughable

Yes I get its the 'best nations from each continent' and Italy should have qualified like Panama did, I don't care.

There are a small number of non-European nations who are clearly a cut above a lot of nations in Europe, which makes the world Cup great

But nation per nation, the Euros is harder to win and better quality (and therefor the better competition)

However if they had a new way of picking teams for the world Cup and said "top 24 nations will be selected for the world Cup" then that would be better than the Euros

Anyone want to change my mind?

Only 8 out of the top 24 nations are non European

Here is a reminder of the World Cup teams of 2018

The fact that Panama were there and Italy were not there makes it laughable

Yes I get its the 'best nations from each continent' and Italy should have qualified like Panama did, I don't care.

There are a small number of non-European nations who are clearly a cut above a lot of nations in Europe, which makes the world Cup great

But nation per nation, the Euros is harder to win and better quality (and therefor the better competition)

However if they had a new way of picking teams for the world Cup and said "top 24 nations will be selected for the world Cup" then that would be better than the Euros

Anyone want to change my mind?

16 team euros and I'd probably agree!

24 team has just diluted it.

Wh
why?

I can’t remember the details but we were in some weird lower tier group, and won a couple of games against Israel and Serbia (or something like that) to get to the euros.

scotland benefited from an ever expanding number of teams and flexible way to get in.

Always remember the World Cups from the mid 70s onwards, euros from 88 … definitely the World Cup for me … I’m in my 50s , probably an age thing

OK I will try another way

The average ranking nation at the Euros is higher than the world cup

Meaning the quality is higher

Do you understand me so far
Four of the top 11 footballing nations are from South America.

still not getting your point. Tbh.

I’d say the Euros has a better quality group stage as a rule, although expanding it diluted it too.
WC is Europe v South America plus some mates. I will say tho, that African teams have improved since I was a kid, and the WC is the catalyst to that. You can add Japan and the USA to that too.

Four of the top 11 footballing nations are from South America.

still not getting your point. Tbh.
Did you read my opening post?

Did you read my opening post?

Nope. I can’t agree with that.

Taking the group stages out of the equation, you have Brazil, Argentina, mexico, Uruguay, Mexico, chile in the mix. That doesn’t make it easier.

Exactly.

we got there because of a relaxing of the rules not because we managed to perform better
Correct.

There are 55 ( :shh: ) countries under the UEFA umbrella.
The only reason Scotland qualified for the Euros this time is because UEFA made it 24 teams.

In '92 when we qualified it was 8 teams.
That was quite an impressive achievement.

In '96 it was 16 teams.
Not as impressive but not still something to be proud of.

This year, to qualify we only had to be just in the top half of all the countries in Europe, which is not a particularly impressive feat, given that of the 31 teams who didn't qualify, 21 of them have never qualified.

Nope. I can’t agree with that.

Taking the group stages out of the equation, you have Brazil, Argentina, mexico, Uruguay, Mexico, chile in the mix. That doesn’t make it easier.
Taking the group stages out of the equation? - I didn't realise we could just do that

I.e the part of the competition that takes the longest?

So if we take the group stages out we are going straight to the knockout yeah?

So you are admitting thay half of the nations in the group are not quality nations?

So we agree

The World Cups seem to stick in my mind whereas I can't say the same for Euros. I'm can remember mostly all the major incidents from France 98 onwards, but not the Euros for some reason. For example, apart from England going out to Italy and Spain bossing the final I can't remember much else from 2012. Similar story with '08, just a couple of memories.

Im
Taking the group stages out of the equation? - I didn't realise we could just do that

I.e the part of the competition that takes the longest?

So if we take the group stages out we are going straight to the knockout yeah?

So you are admitting thay half of the nations in the group are not quality nations?

So we agree
Im out lol.

not entirely sure what point you are making other than being completely obtuse.

:D

The World Cups seem to stick in my mind whereas I can't say the same for Euros. I'm can remember mostly all the major incidents from France 98 onwards, but not the Euros for some reason. For example, apart from England going out to Italy and Spain bossing the final I can't remember much else from 2012. Similar story with '08, just a couple of memories.
Their are two euros that stick in my mind. One won by Greece and the other by Denmark. The danish one top of the list even though I was young. I still remember the Tomas brolin celebration. I was 11

Both have went piss poor, most of the games are crap nowadays. The big teams are now just a collection of the super rich clubs first team and reserves with players who couldn't care less about playing so long as they are getting 100k+ a week. I really do think the drop in quality is down to players not playing every week, it used to be if you weren't getting a game you moved on ASAP, now you can be the back up reserve team goalie for any of the big teams and you will get in the squad.

Strawman argument

Nobody said the Caribbean doesn't produce good footballers

But they don't produce good nations

Are you going to address that point?
Yes I will

the World Cup is and should be compromised of teams from around the world, if you want to add to the group stages then fine but don’t be taking away people who have earned it

Im

Im out lol.

not entirely sure what point you are making other than being completely obtuse.

:D

I have made my point several times
You have refused to address it

The Euros have higher average ranked nations than the world Cup

I.e it has better quality nations

As a personal preference I prefer to watch better quality football in a competition

Example, I would rather watch the Premier League than the F.A Cup

Some prefer the F.A Cup

I don't.

The Premier league have higher quality games than the F.A Cup

Also....the Euros have higher quality games than the World Cup

Yes I will

the World Cup is and should be compromised of teams from around the world, if you want to add to the group stages then fine but don’t be taking away people who have earned it
You have given the dictionary definition of the World Cup but no argument as to why its better than the euros

From 2026, the WC expands to 48 teams. It’ll be a test of endurance to get through such a long tournament.

That'll be bonkers. Virtually handing qualification to New Zealand for every World Cup now with 1 guaranteed slot for Oceania.

Back