The fabled Manchester United number 7 shirt

TheLeatherKagool

Tbh mate you've not really explained your reasoning though.. You've stated you didn't think he was influential on the pitch.. Which I think many a football fan would disagree with. And then said that because he 'only' played 120 odd games for Real Madrid he wasn't much use to them either..

Which is.. well.. absolute pish.
Woot woot fan boy alert, fan boy alert!!!

Last edited:

Blue Lew

A guy who played and won things for Man Utd and Real Madrid isn't iconic?

He also played for AC Milan and PSG.

Beckham was a great player who done far more in the game than many other English players who would definitely be considered iconic.
It’s embarrasing the amount of abuse and snide remarks he attracts. It reeks of jealousy.

TheLeatherKagool

If only I had a similar witty response with which to joust.. oh well, back to my Beckham splattered man cave I go.
I don’t engage with folk who’s opening gambit is you’re talking absolute pish or whatever it was, and you’re obviously not capable of reading my posts because I’ve never once said he wasn’t influential and I agreed he was a great player.

You have a good evening now, don’t use too much kitchen roll! :D

SDF

He rarely beat a man is the absolute dregs of a critique of a player.
It astounds me how many people use it to beat up Beckham with.

He didn't need to beat a man with his ability to cross a ball.

Would folk rather have had Denilson beat a man 5 or 6 times and then shank a cross into the stand ?

Bangersbc

Definition of iconic in that era: were you in this advert?

If the answers no... there's your anwer as far as im concerned!

dh1963

Back in the late 70s, Steve Coppell was their number 7 and he was a very good and underrated player.

steve1873

My comment was regarding him as the No.7 for Man Utd and I wouldn't put him in the same bracket as Ronaldo or Cantona. I didn't say he wasn't a decent player.

I also wouldn't put him anywhere near Paul Scholes, Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard and they didn't win anything for Real Madrid?

I'm interested to know the players he was better than that you would class as Iconic??
Beckham achieved more than Cantona.

He was also the equal of any of the English players mentioned. Including our gaffer.

steve1873

At one point Shearer was the best striker in the world.

If he had of signed for Man Utd instead of Newcastle we would be talking about someone who has broken all records and probably a Ballon Dor winner.
Shearer, as good as he was, wad NEVER the best striker in the world. He played at the same time as the likes of Batistuta and Ronaldo to name but 2 who were both better than him.

Bowery Boy

A guy who played and won things for Man Utd and Real Madrid isn't iconic?

He also played for AC Milan and PSG.

Beckham was a great player who done far more in the game than many other English players who would definitely be considered iconic.
Like Paul Gascoigne for example. Gazza pissed all over him in terms of natural ability but Beckham's work ethic and dedication to his craft took him levels above anything PG ever achieved.

dt17

I used him as an example of the talent still out there.

Ronaldinho as another.

He was never in their league.

But as a guy that worked at his game, he was top notch.
There's no shame in that at all. Zidane and Ronaldinho are probably in the top 10/15 players of all time.

Definition of iconic in that era: were you in this advert?

If the answers no... there's your anwer as far as im concerned!
That rules Zidane out as well then :p

RabSpackman

Beckham was a sensational player.

Cantona receives ridiculous levels of recognition for some who only really turned up for about 3 years of a pretty short career.

Cantona built a brand that the player never quite lived up to - a cracking look with the collar, decent Nike adverts, that Sunderland goal and celebration, kicking some lady's front bottom and dragging a team to a title while another imploded - could think of about 30 players during the EPL era I would have before him and Beckham is one of them.
Cantona was the inspiration for Beckham, Neville’s, Scholes, Butt & Gillespie around Old Trafford at the time, and who knows how many young players at clubs or in parks across the country.

His time at the top was relatively short but his impact was massive.

He encouraged dedication, extra training and a bit of arrogance.

Unicorn

The idea that Beckham wasn’t an iconic player is laughable to be honest and almost certainly a view fuelled by jealousy.

CaptainCourageous

Beckham's touch, vision, distribution, movement, intelligence and delivery beat many a man - time and time again.

Clever player, fantastic touch, good movement, took up dangerous positions on the park - always found that bit of space and his range of passing was phenomenal, better than our managers which is saying sine thing. The amount of times he controlled the pace of play as well was impressive. Not bad for a player who couldn't beat a man.

England captain, Manchester Unired, AC Milan, PSG and Real Madrid says it all.

All round good guy as well.

wd1872

Iconic in the world of "celebrity" not in the world of football.

Absolute nonsense.

A man who was a star player for Man Utd and didn't look out of place in the Galacticos team.

Countless honours, over 100 caps, also playing for Milan and PSG.

What more do you want? At the peak of his game he could have played for anyone.

That in my mind is what makes a world class player.

AsYouWere

Always liked this video Fergie waiting at side after Euros win, Nani still calling him boss. Ronaldo obv with the respect, get feeling he was SAF greatest ever

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
Beckham's touch, vision, distribution, movement, intelligence and delivery beat many a man - time and time again.

Clever player, fantastic touch, good movement, took up dangerous positions on the park - always found that bit of space and his range of passing was phenomenal, better than our managers which is saying sine thing. The amount of times he controlled the pace of play as well was impressive. Not bad for a player who couldn't beat a man.

England captain, Manchester Unired, AC Milan, PSG and Real Madrid says it all.

All round good guy as well.
It doesn’t say it all though, which is why there’s always a debate about the impact and power of his celebrity status.

Go back and see my post for a break down if those clubs while Beckham was there. And this next bit isn’t aimed as you mate so don’t take offence, but it always amazes me the way people greet whenever people question how good Beckham actually was. You’d be forgiven for thinking he was an ex Rangers player.

dt17

You don't become England's most capped outfield player if you're not top class. Only recently surpassed by Rooney.