The facts behind the SPFL’s statement. (3rd June)

The Friendly Ghost

Yesterday’s SPFL/Celtic statement has omitted to tell us the truth regarding the finer details of the amendments to the SKY TV deal and the true cost to the clubs, so here they are.

The deal agreed previously was for 48 games per season at £25 million pounds per season (£520,833.33 per game)

The truth is that the figure of £25 million has been negotiated down to £24.7 million per season (£1.5m in total) and that next season SKY will be given an additional TWELVE matches free of charge, with the clubs losing £6.25 MILLION pounds as a result. Furthermore SKY will be gifted Celtic’s ‘flag day’ for being awarded this season’s title.

It has been apparent from the outset that the SPFL has sought only to look after one club, their corrupt practices are costing the remainder £7.75 million Over the course of the SKY deal.

The BT liability, of course, remains.

Aren't they also getting the league sponsorship rights thrown in too?

And isn't the deal worth more than 25m per season? Inthought it was 160m over 4 or 5 years?

Yesterday’s SPFL/Celtic statement has omitted to tell us the truth regarding the finer details of the amendments to the SKY TV deal and the true cost to the clubs, so here they are.

The deal agreed previously was for 48 games per season at £25 million pounds per season (£520,833.33 per game)

The truth is that the figure of £25 million has been negotiated down to £24.7 million per season (£1.5m in total) and that next season SKY will be given an additional TWELVE matches free of charge, with the clubs losing £6.25 MILLION pounds as a result. Furthermore SKY will be gifted Celtic’s ‘flag day’ for being awarded this season’s title.

It has been apparent from the outset that the SPFL has sought only to look after one club, their corrupt practices are costing the remainder £7.75 million Over the course of the SKY deal.

Thanks TFG, I've been waiting for this information to come out!

Good post mate.

Is Doncaster not on the record as saying there would be no broadcasting liabilities for calling the season early. I seem to recall Richard Gordon repeatedly asking him this question on Sportsound.

How the **** can they expect clubs to vote for something when they don’t give details of how it is going to work? I mean important details like the number of games, will it have a split, if so when and how?

“..er...how do you fancy signing a legally binding document that could influence the future of your club? ...eh, and don’t worry about the details... we’ll tell you after....“

The sheer and utter incompetence of this clown beggars belief. If Liewell thinks he’s doing a bang up job then he’s either easily pleased or has a vested interest in him staying.

Have to be careful using words like incompetence TB. It could, in fact, be the polar opposite. That Neil is executing a plan perfectly.

Is Doncaster not on the record as saying there would be no broadcasting liabilities for calling the season early. I seem to recall Richard Gordon repeatedly asking him this question on Sportsound.
Voiding the league was going to create this liability.

It's just as well we didn't void it then or there'd be 10million quid owed to the broadcasters.

great info and should be sent to every chairman in the SPFL. As one thing is a 100% certainty. No WoS media outlet will dare write some facts. Best bet is east of Scotland journos.

So the truth is Sky have got their full whack of compensation!

They obviously didn't fancy sponsorship of the SPFL so got a price reduction and 12 games free instead. Next revelation will probably be that some of them are Rangers home games that won't be able to be streamed - wouldn't put it past them.

"The Status Quo Cannot Hold"

Liewell's bumming up of Doncaster in the mockit's statement was nothing short of boak inducing and now (unsurprisingly) it wasn't even merited.

i believe we called it out but the clubs voted to ignore it
It’s still happening and the club seem to have moved on.
What exactly was their strategy, did they have one or was it just hope for the best, did they think it would be a piece of cake, show the dossier and everything would just fall into place.

I can’t get my head around the fact that other clubs stand for this. Is really to do with us, i.e. Rangers don’t like it so let’s cut our noses off to spite our faces?

great info and should be sent to every chairman in the SPFL. As one thing is a 100% certainty. No WoS media outlet will dare write some facts. Best bet is east of Scotland journos.
All the premiership clubs were briefed on Monday about the revised deal including the extra games for 2020/21 and were asked to vote on it.
They only required 8 clubs to approve the resolution (66%) so I assume they got that.

Any decent journalist would investage this.

I am not on social media but have banged an e-mail away to Sportsound before tomorrow's podcast to ask them to do just that (more in hope than expectation).

Ewan Murray likely would if anyone knows his e-mail addy.

Last edited:
I’d be very surprised if they don’t have it But they are the sorts who operate under blind hate

What a fantastic piece of negotiating certainly worth every penny of his four hundred thousand getting less money for the TV deal, no sponsorship cash, still owe BT million's let's get his new contract signed before someone snap's him up. At least the scum are happy that's all that seems to matter

So the truth is Sky have got their full whack of compensation!

They obviously didn't fancy sponsorship of the SPFL so got a price reduction and 12 games free instead. Next revelation will probably be that some of them are Rangers home games that won't be able to be streamed - wouldn't put it past them.

"The Status Quo Cannot Hold"

Liewell's bumming up of Doncaster in the mockit's statement was nothing short of boak inducing and now (unsurprisingly) it wasn't even merited.
I think C1872 need to establish leadership in mobilising targeted dissent by our fan base to ensure / minimise our fans paying towards others .

Member clubs only have themselves to blame. They had their chance to end the corruption, but are more than happy to collude with Liewell.
FF has always said that the other 41 and their fans would rather vote against anything we propose Rather than vote for what’s in the best interest.
The boards dossier contains facts that are coming out a bit at a time.
It said the broadcasters/sponsors refund COULD happen, it has.
ND said on bbc sport sound that there wouldn’t be any recompense if the leagues were called early.

FF has always said that the other 41 and their fans would rather vote against anything we propose Rather than vote for what’s in the best interest.
The boards dossier contains facts that are coming out a bit at a time.
It said the broadcasters/sponsors refund COULD happen, it has.
ND said on bbc sport sound that there wouldn’t be any recompense if the leagues were called early.

Doncaster is repeatedly found out lying again and again, yet member clubs and the media say nothing. We can only infer from this is that they don't care.

Back