The farce that is VAR

Angrybluebear

Official Ticketer
In the Manchester Utd game Fred clearly pushes his head into the face of the PSG, not quite a full on head butt though a deliberate act with a little force.

All commentators and studio ref reckon he is off. Real ref obviously got told go have a look but don’t send him off. Ref runs over glances at screen don’t even think he watched the whole incident then goes over and gives Fred a yellow card.

No point having it if this is the kind of decisions they are giving.

I think it was because the movement wasn't enough to put him down. Wrong in the rules but I think it was actually fair.

Edit, just seen it again, I thought he only flicked his head against the PSG player, but he does push him at the end, so red.

That’s not the fault of VAR, it’s just bad refereeing. You can lead a horse to water...

McTominay should have had a straight red that was a deliberate stamp on Neymar.
He looked down and knew exactly what he was doing.

VAR as a system is excellent, it gets all the decisions 100% correct. It’s the fannies who decide on the outcomes of VAR are the ‘farce’.

Correct decision, no one should be getting sent off for that.

The player going down should be punished.

It's a mess - it's a good idea but the issue is the same as the current issue with the refs. The people running it just aren't good enough.

I didn't see this incident so I'm just going by the OP but if the referee reviewed it and gave a yellow instead of a red, how does that make VAR a farce?

If anything isn't the on field referee the farcical one?

How is any of this VARs fault exactly?? The problem is you still need humans to operate it and possibly selectively ignore or bring up what they fancy.

It's flawed but only because of the above.

Chelsea should have had another pen there. Farcical decision by the ref to not give it after watching the monitor

Not VARs fault - all on the ref.

In the Manchester Utd game Fred clearly pushes his head into the face of the PSG, not quite a full on head butt though a deliberate act with a little force.

All commentators and studio ref reckon he is off. Real ref obviously got told go have a look but don’t send him off. Ref runs over glances at screen don’t even think he watched the whole incident then goes over and gives Fred a yellow card.

This isn't VAR in itself, though. It's the referee's wrong interpretation that's the issue.

I didn't see this incident so I'm just going by the OP but if the referee reviewed it and gave a yellow instead of a red, how does that make VAR a farce?

If anything isn't the on field referee the farcical one?

You really need to see the incident, ref got shout from VAR but what ever he was told in his earpiece he made no attempt to look at the incident objectively.

I didn’t think VAR was for giving yellows, if that was the case Fred’s second would have got overturned.

You really need to see the incident, ref got shout from VAR but what ever he was told in his earpiece he made no attempt to look at the incident objectively.

I didn’t think VAR was for giving yellows, if that was the case Fred’s second would have got overturned.

Fair do's, I'll have a look later.

On giving yellow cards, I think VAR can only get involved if there's a possibility that it's a red. However, if the ref reviews it and it's not a red then he can give a yellow. It's not like it'd have to be a red card or no card at all.

VAR should be like the tennis where you get three challenges per set ( each half obviously in a football match ).

If your not happy with a decision use one of your challenges to question it, if you are proved correct you keep your challenges intact and if you are wrong you lose one .

Way too much time wasted as it stands currently.

Going by the rules it’s a red I agree. But I personally think he hardly touched him and a booking is the smart choice in these instances. Although I know by the rules he should be off.

He flicks his head at him. Not enough for violent conduct for me. The rule is:

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

I don’t think there’s either excessive force or brutality there.

VAR should be like the tennis where you get three challenges per set ( each half obviously in a football match ).

If your not happy with a decision use one of your challenges to question it, if you are proved correct you keep your challenges intact and if you are wrong you lose one .

Way too much time wasted as it stands currently.
That would just lead to managers making challenges for no other reason than to break up play though.

Correct decision, no one should be getting sent off for that.

The player going down should be punished.
That’s probably right but we have all seen a red for those “headbutts” hundreds of times over the years.

Back