The flags are up in George Sq

Accident waiting to happen btw.

Never mind. We can't possibly open up a park to avoid any injuries. HSE ignored, I assume?

It’s absolute insanity for that scaffolding to still be there, nice holder for the flags though.
Its madness - and, I suspect, by design. If its still there it is inevitable that Rangers fans will get onto it. That immediately makes it dangerous, dangerous to the fans who climb on to it, no doubt in numbers way above its capacity, and to the fans below. The Police will have to act if that's what happens. They will have little real choice. And when they do? Who knows how that will end but we could all have a decent guess.

In my view it is a trap laid by GCC. Nothing more, nothing less. To erect that scaffolding this week, of all weeks, is deliberate. If they've a degree of common sense it will be taken down tomorrow. I'm sure that is the advice the Police will have given them as well. Looking at the webcam from today though it looks like they think herras fencing is the answer. Fools!

Its madness - and, I suspect, by design. If its still there it is inevitable that Rangers fans will get onto it. That immediately makes it dangerous, dangerous to the fans who climb on to it, no doubt in numbers way above its capacity, and to the fans below. The Police will have to act if that's what happens. They will have little real choice. And when they do? Who knows how that will end but we could all have a decent guess.

In my view it is a trap laid by GCC. Nothing more, nothing less. To erect that scaffolding this week, of all weeks, is deliberate. If they've a degree of common sense it will be taken down tomorrow. I'm sure that is the advice the Police will have given them as well. Looking at the webcam from today though it looks like they think herras fencing is the answer. Fools!
It won't be a trap but down to bad planning and incompetence.
If somebody climbs that and falls off then Digby Brown will be involved, hence why they will be erecting Heras Fencing.

I can’t get enough of all of this. If there was some way to take all the 55 hoopla and inject it into my veins, I would
Club missed a trick mate. Should've been able to order 55 motif'd syringes. By God, we've needed them in the last few months. And Saturday we are gonny overdose on mentally challenged, SNP, middle class, and west end liberal tears. Why did the plants have to die? I've no seen my family for over a year, etc etc.

It won't be a trap but down to bad planning and incompetence.
If somebody climbs that and falls off then Digby Brown will be involved, hence why they will be erecting Heras Fencing.
I disagree. It's been known for weeks that George Square would 'be busy' this weekend. Who decided that this week was the time to erect that scaffold? Could work be delayed to next week? Could it have been completed last week? If its emergency work that merits immediate attention there may be a case but, whilst I don't know that, I'd suggest its highly unlikely. Will the Police have highlighted to GCC that this is a danger? You betcha they will have.

This, for me, is planned work. And its been planned to be undertaken at the worst possible time. That's not accidental in my view.

The herras fencing isn't going to stop anybody. Once the fencing is breached there will be dozens, if not hundreds, up there. Thereafter one of two things happens, there's an accident or there's Police action. Neither is very appealing.

@Greg Marshall

I assume the club is aware of this? Do you know if they’ve asked this to be removed? This is an accident waiting to happen and a set up by GCC.
Why would the club ask for it to be removed? They arent responsible for fans outside the ground and they have also advised fans not to gather. Thats as far as Rangers remit on this goes.
Public Safety is down to PS and GCC as are any H&S risks

I disagree. It's been known for weeks that George Square would 'be busy' this weekend. Who decided that this week was the time to erect that scaffold? Could work be delayed to next week? Could it have been completed last week? If its emergency work that merits immediate attention there may be a case but, whilst I don't know that, I'd suggest its highly unlikely. Will the Police have highlighted to GCC that this is a danger? You betcha they will have.

This, for me, is planned work. And its been planned to be undertaken at the worst possible time. That's not accidental in my view.

The herras fencing isn't going to stop anybody. Once the fencing is breached there will be dozens, if not hundreds, up there. Thereafter one of two things happens, there's an accident or there's Police action. Neither is very appealing.
This with signage will more than likely cover their insurance needs.
If you genuinely think some ta#g smart arse in GCC had the forward planning to lay traps for celebrating bears then I'd say you give them too much credit.
I agree GCC is ta#g infested but for them to have a strategy 'of quick get that scaffold up' with the potential to harm the public (jubilent bears) is off the scale mate.
The sensible thing to do would be to take it down but we know GCC are not sensible.

Guys,it wont be the GCC fault, if the council put fencing round it and people break through it have an accident then they have no legal recourse. In fact if they fall on someone they are the ones in responsible in the eyes of the law. I agree it isn't common sense not to remove it but it doesnt negate who's responsibility it is.

Even if they didn't erect a fence and someone climbed it then it would be classed as vicarious liability and the person falling would take a large percentage of blame. The amount would be attributed by the HSE.

It’s only dangerous if brain donors choose to climb in it. The scaffolding won’t come to life and harm anyone.
It is a magnet for exuberant young men

Exactly this, if there is any common sense at all they should have a scaffold gang there tomorrow for half a day striking that, i assume it will be quite simple to find who instructed the erection of the scaffold and for what works,

I can see that lot planning a pre-emptive gathering in George Sq under the pretense of 'Free Palestine' or whatever drum they are banging on any given day. They'll turn it into a battle for territory, and the narrative will be set: 'Noble protest in support of Palestine overrun by drunken football yobs wearing Rangers strips, rioting in the streets of Glasgow'

Wouldn't put it past them.

In all seriousness why oh why did they put scaffolding up ?

The more I see the more I sense traps being laid for naive bears . All I will say is please “Ca ‘ Canny “ to use a good old Scottish term ( unless the SNP have stolen all those as well) .

Scaffolding will hold about 20 men , not 50 not 100 and we could face a disaster if over exhuberant fans climb up that with drink in them .

Questions should be asked by the club , before it’s too late . @Greg Marshall

Last edited:
Anyone who climbs it is an idiot, just go out, have a swally, have a sing song, have the time of your life but just behave and all will be good
Jesus, what an attitude, Listen, that obviously has not been correctly RISK ASSESSED. There's alcohol involved, therefore there will always be , as you say , an idiot , who will climb , then others will follow , this has a very nasty outcome written all over it .

Why George square?
should be fleshers haugh with a cargo.
The question needs to be asked why didn’t the council and the club knock their heads together and arrange something at Glasgow green and direct all bears there . Would have meant less disruption for everyone , safer , big screens up etc bears could have a good time and everyone’s happy . Instead we have what is increasingly looking like a bear trap laid by our detractors and accidents waiting to happen .

I see from the George Square webcam that the benches are still in place. You would think that after what happened before, they'd have them moved out?

Back