The Football Factory Film

It's not the best film but it is a guilty pleasure for me.

It has aged better than Green Street which was released around about the same time.

John King's Football Factory Trilogy is still the best collection of fiction writing about football.

Been a while since I read them - funnily enough, I was flicking through them today - but they're powerful, angry, visceral works about the creeping gentrification of football, the disappearance of the white working class and the death of the final sub-culture in British society. Irvine Welsh regularly cites The Football Factory as one of his favourite books.

The film, on the other hand - holy God. It strips away anything good about the book and leaves you with a collection of embarrassing fight scenes and a hotchpotch story. I'd probably like the film more if it didn't lead to years and years of God-awful football films, the rise of hooligan autobiographies and a lot of posh people I went to school with wearing Stone Island and speaking like they were from East Landan.

There's an unreleased version of football factory with a different soundtrack and scenes around which is better

I know the one you mean mate and it's much better. Slide away by Oasis is one of the opening tracks on the unreleased one if I remember right.

Headhunters was my favourite of the FF trilogy. I really wish now that I’d got the opportunity to shite in my ex-wife’s handbag but alas it never happened.

Just watched that Ultras one on Netflix, not bad to be honest - easy watch albeit with American English voiceovers, has subtitles on and found the American voiceover to English proper subtitles quite amusing at times.

Last edited:
Would recommend the John King Trilogy. Much more depth to the characters and storyline.

Headhunters and England Away are better that Football Factory IMO.

It's half decent but the whole film is let down by the dreams and the realisation of how he eventually gets battered. All that wasn't needed but it is far better than the terrible Green Street and some other recent related films.

Loved the opening scene and the music in the build up to the pub then the speech that was very good.

Last edited:
Apart from 30 minutes of the shite that was Green street I’ve never seen any of the films mentioned!

Something else for me to have a look at during this virus.

We were doing a contract in the flat of Dudley Sutton (the old cnt in FF and the trampy looking fckr in Lovejoy) We'd been there a few days had been chatting to him off and on didn't seem a bad old cnt. I bought a dvd from a looky looky guy just after the premier not knowing he was in it. Next morning I told him I'd seen the movie, he asked me if I'd been at the premier and went fckng mental when I told him. started to go on about artistic rights and loss of revenue to the British film Industry. I pointed out that I would never have paid anymore than the dvd cost to watch such shite. I think Philistine was the least of the insults and never said a word to us for the next two or three days, no tea either. My last words when we finished was to ask if he'd had the best acting letter from The Academy. His last words to me was a resounding " %^*& off" as we walked down the stairs.

We were doing a contract in the flat of Dudley Sutton (the old cnt in FF and the trampy looking fckr in Lovejoy) We'd been there a few days had been chatting to him off and on didn't seem a bad old cnt. I bought a dvd from a looky looky guy just after the premier not knowing he was in it. Next morning I told him I'd seen the movie, he asked me if I'd been at the premier and went fckng mental when I told him. started to go on about artistic rights and loss of revenue to the British film Industry. I pointed out that I would never have paid anymore than the dvd cost to watch such shite. I think Philistine was the least of the insults and never said a word to us for the next two or three days, no tea either. My last words when we finished was to ask if he'd had the best acting letter from The Academy. His last words to me was a resounding " %^*& off" as we walked down the stairs.

He dies a couple of years ago didn't he?

Back