The fringe players tonight

Ger572

Official Ticketer
As per title I personally thought Barker, Halliday, Jones and Ojo were poor and offered next to nothing. It's hard to come in and get upto speed I understand but still!!!!

Patterson was very good first half but faded abit in the 2nd, very encouraging from the young lad though. Kennedy wasn't given enough time to make an impact but good for the lad to get minutes.

The regulars who played were ok, Davis the standout but thought Katics distribution was poor.

Anyway, job done.

Thought we lacked just that wee bit of creative spark up front without Kent and Morelos in the side.

Nearly every team we play at Ibrox in the league will have the same blueprint against us with 10 men behind the ball so we definitely need better options than Ojo, Barker and Jones if we are going to be fighting it out in 3 competitions for the next few months.

Agree Jones Barker and Halliday were not great tonight

They will need to improve or the Gaffer will want to move them on

it’s up to them to get better or be jettisoned

Realistically if everyone is fit only two from tonight start.

Davis and Jack and to be honest Jack was as bad as anyone tonight.

It was a terrible night for football, against a team who sat deep.

We had 33 shots. They had none.

Job done no injuries.

I wouldn’t have a dig at Ojo tonight as he was brought on late and played at centre forward.
To be honest, with the exception of young Patterson, we were very poor.

if I was to have a go, I’d say that Barker has failed to impress yet again, he’s clearly not at our level.

Realistically if everyone is fit only two from tonight start.

Davis and Jack and to be honest Jack was as bad as anyone tonight.

It was a terrible night for football, against a team who sat deep.

We had 33 shots. They had none.

Job done no injuries.
Katic, Arfield and Aribo are regular starters and all played relatively well tonight. Defoe is definitely starting the next 2 games due to no Morelos and with Tav out for a couple of weeks, Patterson has did his chances no harm what so ever either.

Ojo got brought on and played centre forward. Cab give him a pass.

Halliday is mince. Jones is well off the pace. Barker isnt very good. We can carry one at a time but not so many at once

Jones is just back from injury so I’m willing to give him a bit of latitude tonight but the others showed why they shouldn’t be in the team.

Apart from the two kids. Patterson has a future, no doubt.

We were very flat across the team but as a long time defender of Halliday I thought he was particularly poor tonight when you consider the opposition.

Seen moaning at Ojo which is predictable and yes he made a couple of mistakes but I really do think Defoe gets an easy ride in an overall context.

As much as the fringe players were disappointing so were the regulars.

It was a bad night-we just need to move on quickly.

Jones is just back from injury so I’m willing to give him a bit of latitude tonight but the others showed why they shouldn’t be in the team.

My worry with Jones is see a game at home where the team like tonight defends like mad, as will be the case v st mirren, he doesn't have any guile or quality to open them up. We need our wide players to be getting on the ball, creating chances, getting shots away, getting quality through balls for Defoe etc, and I don't feel he has this in his locker

JJ has a lot to prove for me. I believe he can challenge for a spot but he needs to knuckle down big time.

I think it was 5 starts from 13 before his injury, 2 of which were St Joseph's and East Fife. Brilliant game in Denmark and cracking ball in obviously against Legia but overall so far he is a good bit off the player i think he can potentially be.

My worry with Jones is see a game at home where the team like tonight defends like mad, as will be the case v st mirren, he doesn't have any guile or quality to open them up. We need our wide players to be getting on the ball, creating chances, getting shots away, getting quality through balls for Defoe etc, and I don't feel he has this in his locker

In the first half, he refused to go/stay wide. When he was, he cut inside into the congestion. At other times, he was dropping too deep and was beyond Davis and Jack.

I was expecting him to try things to impress - even if they don't come off, at least it shows willingness to take responsibility. He did play a great ball into Aribo in the 2nd half but that was it. Rather poor,
especially given what the manager has said about him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone if a reasonable offer comes in during January.

JJ has a lot to prove for me. I believe he can challenge for a spot but he needs to knuckle down big time.

I think it was 5 starts from 13 before his injury, 2 of which were St Joseph's and East Fife. Brilliant game in Denmark and cracking ball in obviously against Legia but overall so far he is a good bit off the player i think he can potentially be.

Tonight was never a game for him, his game is going past players with pace and space in behind, that was never going to be the case tonight.

Seen much better teams than tonight's starting eleven struggle playing against that sort of set up.

Still frustrates me that we brought in Ojo, Barker and Jones, prompting Candeias to feel surplus when left out the euro squad and ultimately leading to him leaving.

He was far superior to all 3 players. With hindsight, we should have done more to convince him to stay, as he’d have played plenty of games.

I don’t disagree Stuart. I feel he has still to win us over at this point but I’m just being fair after so long out.

Agree GF. I’m just trying to allow the guy to recover match fitness before being too harsh on him.

So flat it was unreal.

But after a winter break and so many changes to the team, it was always going to be a bit flat.

I have no fear about Jones, he just needs minutes. Ojo didn't get enough time to judge. Halliday is Halliday. Barker still hasn't shown anything.

It’s all about attitude.

These guys are pretty average footballers by lower SPFL standards.

However at least look interested lads.

Halliday looked like he would rather be watching a Netflix box set tonight. Rather just take a challenge/dive than actually do something.

Gerrard won’t miss shit like this.

Who had a bad attitude tonight?

I agree on the Halliday looking for a dive at every challenge (tonight no different from every other game) but same as always.

Wasnt the beat game to make remarks about players but I will based on what I saw.

Halliday- just not good enough for lur level now. Love his heart and desire but lacks skill.

Ojo - just not good enough also. Very slack and getting poorer by each game. Maybe its confidence but hes a 1 trick pony.

Barker - he shouldn't be the bench hes not that good. Faith play to SG for persisting with him but hes not at our level either.

Jones - he needs to start repaying SG with a performance. Tonight was as good as any for him to show what we have missed. He will get his chances but if that's the performance it will be few and far between.

Wasnt the beat game to make remarks about players but I will based on what I saw.

Halliday- just not good enough for lur level now. Love his heart and desire but lacks skill.

Ojo - just not good enough also. Very slack and getting poorer by each game. Maybe its confidence but hes a 1 trick pony.

Barker - he shouldn't be the bench hes not that good. Faith play to SG for persisting with him but hes not at our level either.

Jones - he needs to start repaying SG with a performance. Tonight was as good as any for him to show what we have missed. He will get his chances but if that's the performance it will be few and far between.

10 men camped in the last 25 yards is a good game for Jones to shine?

What were you expecting from him against that set up?

Giving Jones the benefit of the doubt. Wasn’t great, but was disappointed that he wasn’t on the wing, the middle wasn’t working for him as it was too crowded.

Barker was very poor and done more harm than good. He’s slow, can’t beat a man and completely out of ideas, not the player Hibs had 2 years ago.

Jack and Davis get pass marks but only just.

Aribo had a mixed game, some nice touches and looked a class above, but not much of an end product.

Completely lacked firepower without Morelos and Kent which is worrying.

Jones was a disappointment tonight, there’s no point sugar coating it.

He has it to prove, he had the chance and at no point did he even look enthusiastic about receiving the ball.
Compare this with Paterson and Kennedy.

Yes, it’s not his type of game (e.g Midtjylland) and yes he’a rusty as old balls.

But you ask at 7 o clock tonight who’s in there raring to go and most people’s answer will be him.

He needs to show it quick.

Jones was a disappointment tonight, there’s no point sugar coating it.

He has it to prove, he had the chance and at no point did he even look enthusiastic about receiving the ball.
Compare this with Paterson and Kennedy.

Yes, it’s not his type of game (e.g Midtjylland) and yes he’a rusty as old balls.

But you ask at 7 o clock tonight who’s in there raring to go and most people’s answer will be him.

He needs to show it quick.

Raring to go yes, but that was never a game that would suit his style of play.

C**t of a game with so many behind the ball throwing their body in as if their life depended on it.
Fair do's to Stranraer, brutal stuff but Rangers did breach them and won the match 2-0.

Raring to go yes, but that was never a game that would suit his style of play.

I completely agree.

How do you square off though, the moment in the first half where Paterson took away half the team and he just stood still over on the left against a solitary Stranraer defender?

It’s not just me who’s seen it mate, I’ll guarantee the whole coaching staff will be pondering that one and others this weekend.

Of the fringe players tonight Wes had virtually nothing to do; Patterson had a good debut and should be capable of covering Tav's absence; Edmundson strolled it; Halliday showed he's not good enough; Jones just seemed to float around and not do anything to open them up, but he's still coming back from injury.
Subs - Barker don't see it; ojo, apart from a goal wrongly chalked off, didn't dominate lower league defenders.

It's a sobering thought,do we have the strength in depth,for me the second 11 should be just as strong. If they struggle against Stranrawe,it doesn't bode well.

We just simply don’t have two players for every position, that’s the truth.

In central defence & the first 4 in midfield yes, but in forward positions & full back there’s absolutely a big gap.

No disrespect to young Nathan who I really really like.

Not one player who didn't play at Parkhead looked like competition for the ones that did.

Hardly comparible games.

Playing against 10 men, well set up, regardless of level, camped within 25 yards of the goal is always difficult.

We have all watched much much better teams struggle against that.

It didn't help that the build up was pedestrian for most of the game. Got to move the ball quicker to break down packed defences. Young Nathan and big George did OK, but barker, halliday and Jones need to have a long hard look at themselves if they want a future at our club!

Hardly comparible games.

Playing against 10 men, well set up, regardless of level, camped within 25 yards of the goal is always difficult.

We have all watched much much better teams struggle against that.

McGregor
Tavernier
Goldson
Katic
Barisic
Jack
Davis
Kamara
Aribo
Kent
Morelos

That is our best 11.

He hasn't played since September so of course it will take him time to get up to speed. Steven Davis looked finished when he first came back now he's vital to the team. People on here are always too quick to write people off.
Difference is Steven Davis has always been a top quality player, and I say that as someone who thought he was done this time last year.
Davis made 91 appearances for Villa in 3 years in the EPL before going to Fulham and made a further 22 EPL appearances before coming to us on loan at the age of 23, then a permanent deal.

Jones isn't a young kid, he's 25.
His career stats include making 1 appearance for Middlesbrough (29 mins), 11 appearances for Hartlepool in League 2, 1 for Cambridge in League 2, then 119 appearances for Kilmarnock before coming to us where he has maintained his 1 assist in 5 record.

I'll happily say he had a brilliant game in Denmark and a great cross v Legia, but as someone who was sceptical of what he would bring when he signed, he still has a lot to do to convince me that he's worth a jersey.

If we were offered north of 2m for Jones, I'd take it.

Reactions: GF7
Difference is Steven Davis has always been a top quality player, and I say that as someone who thought he was done this time last year.
Davis made 91 appearances for Villa in 3 years in the EPL before going to Fulham and made a further 22 EPL appearances before coming to us on loan at the age of 23, then a permanent deal.

Jones isn't a young kid, he's 25.
His career stats include making 1 appearance for Middlesbrough (29 mins), 11 appearances for Hartlepool in League 2, 1 for Cambridge in League 2, then 119 appearances for Kilmarnock before coming to us where he has maintained his 1 assist in 5 record.

I'll happily say he had a brilliant game in Denmark and a great cross v Legia, but as someone who was sceptical of what he would bring when he signed, he still has a lot to do to convince me that he's worth a jersey.

If we were offered north of 2m for Jones, I'd take it.

What did you honestly expect from him tonight?

It’s all about attitude.

These guys are pretty average footballers by lower SPFL standards.

However at least look interested lads.

Halliday looked like he would rather be watching a Netflix box set tonight. Rather just take a challenge/dive than actually do something.

Gerrard won’t miss shit like this.
Who had a bad attitude tonight?

I agree on the Halliday looking for a dive at every challenge (tonight no different from every other game) but same as always.
I alluded to this in the match thread - Halliday going down like he's been shot, slapping the turf and signalling pretty much every time he's tackled does no-one any favours.

The challenge he received should have been a red, but his fondness for the 'head buried in crook of elbow, waving and hitting the ground' means that when he actually is on the receiving end of a bad one, he's less likely to be believed.

Anyone remember Borna doing the same once, then the manager called him out on it in an interview and this board thought it was great? Different story if it's Halliday on a match thread.

Back