The fringe players tonight

What did you honestly expect from him tonight?
To at least try and make something happen.

Barker attempted more in his time on the pitch, and that's saying something.

It just seemed like Jones was not offering himself when he should have been, not making runs, quick to get rid of the ball.

It is often said that we'll forgive a poor performance as long as we can see someone is putting in the effort. Jones, who has a hell of a lot to prove, didn't seem like he was giving anything close to 100%.

Last edited:
Let's be honest here, Jones has exceeded expectations prior to his injury. Once he gets back up to speed he will be a decent impact player at the very worst.

Barker has been poor and he has been given a few chances to shine and failed badly. Not sure what sort of wages he will be on but I would punt him at the first opportunity. I thought he would offer us something different with his pace and direct play but he simply doesn't have enough about him to persist with.

Everybody knows what Ojo is - not much point in even discussing that. The only good thing is he seems to be getting less and less playing time so the gaffer looks like he is also losing faith in him.

Difference is Steven Davis has always been a top quality player, and I say that as someone who thought he was done this time last year.
Davis made 91 appearances for Villa in 3 years in the EPL before going to Fulham and made a further 22 EPL appearances before coming to us on loan at the age of 23, then a permanent deal.

Jones isn't a young kid, he's 25.
His career stats include making 1 appearance for Middlesbrough (29 mins), 11 appearances for Hartlepool in League 2, 1 for Cambridge in League 2, then 119 appearances for Kilmarnock before coming to us where he has maintained his 1 assist in 5 record.

I'll happily say he had a brilliant game in Denmark and a great cross v Legia, but as someone who was sceptical of what he would bring when he signed, he still has a lot to do to convince me that he's worth a jersey.

If we were offered north of 2m for Jones, I'd take it.

And Kamara is a 24 year old signed from Dundee but he's another one who's now integral to our team. Not really sure what your point is. Jones had a great start to the season by your own admission, he made a stupid mistake which I'm sure he regrets more than anyone. He deserves more than one game back after injury to prove himself.

And Kamara is a 24 year old signed from Dundee but he's another one who's now integral to our team. Not really sure what your point is. Jones had a great start to the season by your own admission, he made a stupid mistake which I'm sure he regrets more than anyone. He deserves more than one game back after injury to prove himself.
I didn't say he had a great start to the season. I said he had a brilliant game in Denmark and a great cross v Legia. I also said he still has a lot to do to convince me he's worth a Jersey - in other words he still has to prove himself. Also, I haven't mentioned his 'stupid mistake' at all.

Kamara looked an excellent player at Dundee. Jones looked alright at best at Kilmarnock.

Let's not forget it was you who made the first comparison by mentioning Steven Davis in relation to Jones though.

I didn't say he had a great start to the season. I said he had a brilliant game in Denmark and a great cross v Legia. I also said he still has a lot to do to convince me he's worth a Jersey - in other words he still has to prove himself. Also, I haven't mentioned his 'stupid mistake' at all.

Kamara looked an excellent player at Dundee. Jones looked alright at best at Kilmarnock.

Let's not forget it was you who made the first comparison by mentioning Steven Davis in relation to Jones though.

I mentioned Steven Davis in terms of fitness alone and nothing to do with footballing ability or achievements. If you can't understand that there's no point discussing it with you. And are you really telling me you watched Dundee enough times to realise Kamara looked good there? Okay mate.

I mentioned Steven Davis in terms of fitness alone and nothing to do with footballing ability or achievements. If you can't understand that there's no point discussing it with you. And are you really telling me you watched Dundee enough times to realise Kamara looked good there? Okay mate.
And I pointed out it was a false equivalence because Davis always had something about him. Jones hasn't, and his career reflects that up til this season.

I probably saw Kamara and Jones about the same number of times like the majority of this forum - when they played against us, plus the odd game they were on TV and highlights of other games. In that time, Kamara was far more impressive than Jones who looked like an average SPL winger. Why? Kamara was playing with a bottom of the table team, but still managed to be excellent in possession and rarely wasteful with the ball show technique and a bit of drive forward, despite his team being up against it.

I'd be quite pleased to come back to this in a year and say I got it wrong. I want all of our players to be successful, and I'm not one who routinely slates folk. If anything, I'm usually overly optimistic until proven otherwise. I just don't see it with Jones. Okay mate.

Reactions: GF7
If they can’t do it against bottom of league one level, they don’t deserve to be anywhere near Rangers.

Ffs. He tried the young lads out against a shitey team. Just experience for them. We still win. We had 5 first team regulars.

What a delusional person you are.

We are progressing ffs.

Wes- nothing to do, must have been cold

Patterson - played well
Katic - could have scored a couple
Edmundson - strolled it
Halliday - didn't stand out, didn't make mistakes

Davis - not sure he was needed, but strolled it
Jack - so/so
Arfield - goal aside, thought he was poor

Aribo - did ok, looked dangerous
Jones - struggled, 3 months out will do that
Defoe - did ok

Ojo - not great, yet had a goal wrongly ruled offside
Barker - terrible, but didn't hide
Kennedy - probably deserved more time

Thought we looked lethargic, much like last season when we came back (and always seem to after a break)

Hopefully, the game against QoS helps with that and then we move on to St Mirren, where we'll add 5, maybe 6 genuinely classy players to the team

My worry with Jones is see a game at home where the team like tonight defends like mad, as will be the case v st mirren, he doesn't have any guile or quality to open them up. We need our wide players to be getting on the ball, creating chances, getting shots away, getting quality through balls for Defoe etc, and I don't feel he has this in his locker
He will be on the bench at best v St Mirren.

Wes- nothing to do, must have been cold

Patterson - played well
Katic - could have scored a couple
Edmundson - strolled it
Halliday - didn't stand out, didn't make mistakes

Davis - not sure he was needed, but strolled it
Jack - so/so
Arfield - goal aside, thought he was poor

Aribo - did ok, looked dangerous
Jones - struggled, 3 months out will do that
Defoe - did ok

Ojo - not great, yet had a goal wrongly ruled offside
Barker - terrible, but didn't hide
Kennedy - probably deserved more time

Thought we looked lethargic, much like last season when we came back (and always seem to after a break)

Hopefully, the game against QoS helps with that and then we move on to St Mirren, where we'll add 5, maybe 6 genuinely classy players to the team
That’s why it was good to come back to an easy game after the break, last year we were away to Kilmarnock, and it destroyed our season.

The game went exactly as I expected. We controlled it comfortably and as expected looked a bit rusty after a break. Eased through to the next round. We didn’t need to win 9-0 for it to be a successful game

Not a bed wetter by any means, and I know they parked the bus, but before last night I thought the squad was strong, how wrong was I, some of the performances were rank rotten and frankly a couple of those players should be nowhere near our club, on a side note the set up should have been different did we really need to play with so many centre mids, and Defoe was surrounded every time the ball went near him, we have a lot of home games coming up and we still seem to struggle against packed defences, but we are in the next round and that's what matters.

He hasn't played since September so of course it will take him time to get up to speed. Steven Davis looked finished when he first came back now he's vital to the team. People on here are always too quick to write people off.
My point was though that bar Midtjylland and a couple of other flashes, I haven't been convinced at any point but I think he is better than he has shown.

He will be more effective in more open games but the reality is that isn't what we come up against 90% of the time.

90% of our play was down the right because we had Patterson wide and players going beyond him. When Halliday got the ball Jones was where Stranrear wanted him - inside. Basically he was hiding.

Agree GF. I’m just trying to allow the guy to recover match fitness before being too harsh on him.
Agree GY personally thought JJ could've tracked back better after a loose ball or stray pass whether from him or toward him given the opposition. Thought he could've used the game to bust a gut so to speak to get his fitness and sharpness back, but has been out for a while, so like you say needs recovery.

Barker is horrendous. He seems to have lost a lot of the pace we all remember from when he was at Hibs.

My worry with Jones is see a game at home where the team like tonight defends like mad, as will be the case v st mirren, he doesn't have any guile or quality to open them up. We need our wide players to be getting on the ball, creating chances, getting shots away, getting quality through balls for Defoe etc, and I don't feel he has this in his locker

He looked lively in the game in Dubai so I was hoping for a lot more tonight. He went missing after 10/15 minutes and I noticed a couple of times when he could have run at their back 4 he instead bottled it and slipped the ball back the way to Jack.

Barker I just don’t see whatever it is/was that our coaching staff see. I’m not sure where he’shiding this blistering pace and I’ve yet to see him go past a man. The defender makes contact with the ball EVERY SINGLE TIME!

Ojo has bags of skill and will pop up with wonder goals and deft touches for others to score but I don’t think he’ll ever do it consistently enough to be another Ryan Kent. Championship awaits I reckon.

Jones is just back from injury so I’m willing to give him a bit of latitude tonight but the others showed why they shouldn’t be in the team.

Apart from the two kids. Patterson has a future, no doubt.

Gerrard was getting very annoyed with Jones last night Grigo.

Several times he was shouting at him and gesturing towards him to get more involved in the game.

Turned away in frustration a few times too, when he gave away cheap possession.

No suprise when he was hooked.

Gerrard was getting very annoyed with Jones last night Grigo.

Several times he was shouting at him and gesturing towards him to get more involved in the game.

Turned away in frustration a few times too, when he gave away cheap possession.

No suprise when he was hooked.

Cheers mate. I’m in the Main Stand & don’t look down at his reactions during the game.

All I’m saying is that he’s been out 3 months MU, so I don’t want to be too harsh on him, but he was unquestionably poor.

Cheers mate. I’m in the Main Stand & don’t look down at his reactions during the game.

All I’m saying is that he’s been out 3 months MU, so I don’t want to be too harsh on him, but he was unquestionably poor.

I agree with you Grigo, although I must admit to having a nagging doubt about Jordan's attitude.

What was the story with Jones getting himself into a lot of bother when he was younger ? I've seen it referenced in articles but never actually seen what it was.

I agree with you Grigo, although I must admit to having a nagging doubt about Jordan's attitude.

Yes, it seems that he’s not Steven’s favourite & he sees him every day.

The only guy who has done well in competing with Kent/Aribo for a place in the 2 is Stewart.

Others haven’t come up to a consistently good standard. I do think it’s a squad area I would try to address tbh.

I dont want to slate anyone but has Barker actually ever beat a man ? 3 or 4 times he ran at them last night and was tackled every single time.

I know he isn't a great player but i saw him skin players while playing for Hibs and Preston but yet to see it for us.

Yes, it seems that he’s not Steven’s favourite & he sees him every day.

The only guy who has done well in competing with Kent/Aribo for a place in the 2 is Stewart.

Others haven’t come up to a consistently good standard. I do think it’s a squad area I would try to address tbh.

Agreed Grigo.

Last night was tailor made for Stewart, as Wednesday will be too.

He's got great technical ability and movement.

He seems to have the gift of being able to find pockets of space against deep lying defensive teams.

A massive player for the 2nd half of the season, particularly at Ibrox imo.

In an ideal world we’d get rid of Barker as soon as possible and replace him with a player who provides genuine competition to Kent and Aribo or at least a threat from the bench. Big concern if Kent is ever out and that’s type of player we have in reserve.

Ojo has been really, really poor for a while. Last game I remember him doing well in was Ross County away. Looks flat and is on the floor so I’d like our support to get right behind him. Look back at clips from pre season and European qualifiers and he looked dangerous. So he at least has shown something if he can find some sort of form/confidence. Down to him to work hard to get through it as well of course.

I think Jones gets a bit of a pass since he's just back from injury and getting up to speed.

The others have no excuse.

Murphy - even if he still had a cruciate ligament injury and can barely move - is still a better footballer than Barker & Ojo. They are mince.

I dont want to slate anyone but has Barker actually ever beat a man ? 3 or 4 times he ran at them last night and was tackled every single time.

I know he isn't a great player but i saw him skin players while playing for Hibs and Preston but yet to see it for us.

I'm certainly not his biggest fan mate, but like Jones, (and to a lesser extent Ojo) he struggles when he doesn't have acres of space to run into.

All these players are more comfortable against teams that open up against us.

I reckon Stewart will feature way more than any of those 3 in the 2nd half of the season.

Agreed Grigo.

Last night was tailor made for Stewart, as Wednesday will be too.

He's got great technical ability and movement.

He seems to have the gift of being able to find pockets of space against deep lying defensive teams.

A massive player for the 2nd half of the season, particularly at Ibrox imo.

Absolutely agree.

As you say, at Ibrox maybe with the exception of the beasts from the east I’d seriously consider him for every game.

I don’t disagree Stuart. I feel he has still to win us over at this point but I’m just being fair after so long out.
Yeah you have to make allowances for Jones as he's just returning, but you'd have expected him to look far superior to their players and he didn't. Gerrard himself was visibly getting annoyed with him.

Even pre injury and the times I've watched him at Killie, he doesn't have that guile required to unlock teams. Away from home, yes, he's handy as he can get us up the pitch due to his one dimensional style.

People go on about our next few games being mostly at home, for me that's a worry. We know how bad Ibrox has been this season with impatient supporters, if our plan A doesn't work out plan B (Jones/Barker) aren't going to come in and make a difference.

Gerrard is frustrated as he was hoping last night our fringe boys would shine but ultimately we still had to rely on our regulars such as Arfield, Davis etc to run the show

Jones was poor last night but have people forgotten that he hasn't played a proper game of football for the best part of 4 months. He's no world beater but he was playing very well before he got injured. He will take time to get back up to speed
This has to be taken into consideration, we saw with Davis when he first arrived how important it is to get a good few games under your belt.

Jones was poor last night but have people forgotten that he hasn't played a proper game of football for the best part of 4 months. He's no world beater but he was playing very well before he got injured. He will take time to get back up to speed

Along with Stewart will provide a good option when fit. We need to get behind these 2.

Yeah you have to make allowances for Jones as he's just returning, but you'd have expected him to look far superior to their players and he didn't. Gerrard himself was visibly getting annoyed with him.

Even pre injury and the times I've watched him at Killie, he doesn't have that guile required to unlock teams. Away from home, yes, he's handy as he can get us up the pitch due to his one dimensional style.

People go on about our next few games being mostly at home, for me that's a worry. We know how bad Ibrox has been this season with impatient supporters, if our plan A doesn't work out plan B (Jones/Barker) aren't going to come in and make a difference.

Gerrard is frustrated as he was hoping last night our fringe boys would shine but ultimately we still had to rely on our regulars such as Arfield, Davis etc to run the show

Absolutely correct.

And this is why I’m disappointed we’re not bringing a few in. As well as those already going out on loan I’d let Barker & Halliday go too & try to bring in cover for Borna, cover for striker, and an extra offensive midfielder who can make runs into the box.

I accept that others say that Defoe can cover Alfie when he’s out, but I’m not 100% on that always, and while others say strategically we don’t rely on any of the midfield 3 to get a lot of goals & assists, having a player that gives us that option would, to me, be a useful thing to have. I wouldn’t mind if these guys are loan deals either.

Absolutely agree.

As you say, at Ibrox maybe with the exception of the beasts from the east I’d seriously consider him for every game.

He's certainly the best option after Aribo and Kent Grigo.

He must be ahead of Jones, Ojo and Barker in the pecking order now.

His attitude seems spot on too and his fitness levels have improved dramatically, as we saw in the endurance runs in Dubai.

One of the fittest players in the squad now.

Absolutely correct.

And this is why I’m disappointed we’re not bringing a few in. As well as those already going out on loan I’d let Barker & Halliday go too & try to bring in cover for Borna, cover for striker, and an extra offensive midfielder who can make runs into the box.

I accept that others say that Defoe can cover Alfie when he’s out, but I’m not 100% on that always, and while others say strategically we don’t rely on any of the midfield 3 to get a lot of goals & assists, having a player that gives us that option would, to me, be a useful thing to have. I wouldn’t mind if these guys are loan deals either.
I think 1 or 2 will come in despite what Gerrard has said.

He's certainly the best option after Aribo and Kent Grigo.

He must be ahead of Jones, Ojo and Barker in the pecking order now.

His attitude seems spot on too and his fitness levels have improved dramatically, as we saw in the endurance runs in Dubai.

One of the fittest players in the squad now.

Hard to believe that turnaround. Massive credit to the guy.

Ojo got brought on and played centre forward. Cab give him a pass.

Halliday is mince. Jones is well off the pace. Barker isnt very good. We can carry one at a time but not so many at once
As big a bluenose Andy Halliday is he should be nowhere near a Rangers squad to where we are now. The lad plays the pace of game we had 3-4 years ago and we’re light years on from that now.

Greg Docherty and Murphy should have played before going on loan to let the manager have a look at them
You're forgetting he sees what they have to offer in training every day.

Maybe they're just not showing it?

It's not like Gerrard is going to watch someone turn in outstanding performances at training and not use them, is it?

As fans, we want these guys to succeed, especially cause they're bears, but Doc clearly hadn't been able to make the step up to what we need now, and the injury to Murphy has clearly taken its toll.

He mince. He takes 15 touches to travel 2 yards.
There has to be a better youth option.

You're forgetting he sees what they have to offer in training every day.

Maybe they're just not showing it?

It's not like Gerrard is going to watch someone turn in outstanding performances at training and not use them, is it?

As fans, we want these guys to succeed, especially cause they're bears, but Doc clearly hadn't been able to make the step up to what we need now, and the injury to Murphy has clearly taken its toll.
Does he see Barker every day?
You are not telling me he is a better option than Murphy.

For me, barker now falls into the same category as ojo. We really need to get him loaned out and assess his development at the end of the season, he looks short of confidence. I need to highlight defoe on 15 goals so far this season is a brilliant return for being 2nd choice striker.He will add another few with morelos being out for the next 2 games aswell

Back