The Gallant Few New Episode - 1979 Drybrough Cup Final

The Gallant Few

The History Show - 1979 Drybrough Cup Final

Colin & Graeme take another look back in time and discuss Rangers 3-1 victory over Celtic in the 1979 Drybrough Cup Final, fondly remembered for one of the most famous Rangers goals by Davie Cooper.

Available wherever you get your podcasts!

Really enjoyed that episode.
That game was an interesting time in Rangers. I think if we hadn't blown the title the previous season from a strong position, John Greig's time may have been more productive with regards to winning titles. As it happened we never recovered from it under John and ultimately it led to the David Holmes/Graeme Sounness revolution which put us in a much stonger position for many years to come. I'm going to have another look at the mini highlights of the Drybrough match to enjoy the goals again..

Really enjoyed that episode.
That game was an interesting time in Rangers. I think if we hadn't blown the title the previous season from a strong position, John Greig's time may have been more productive with regards to winning titles. As it happened we never recovered from it under John and ultimately it led to the David Holmes/Graeme Sounness revolution which put us in a much stonger position for many years to come. I'm going to have another look at the mini highlights of the Drybrough match to enjoy the goals again..

It’s very much a ‘what if’ or ‘could’ve been’ time in our history!

We played West Ham on the Friday night, winning 3-2, then Celtic on the Saturday, finishing up with Kilmarnock on the Sunday. We were 2 goals up on Killie but our legs went and we lost on pens.

I think the "big" turning point that season was when we surrendered a 2 goal lead to a 10man Celtic side in the last 6 mins. This was not long after the Dryborough Cup Final, and the day the Copland Road Stand was officially opened.

His opener was actually a cracking goal but then got totally overshadowed by 2 of the best goals you'll ever see.
Bang on dh! Wee John’s was a great goal, Sandy from his own 18 yard box to slot the second away was unbelievable. Then Coop! Happy, happy days.

We played West Ham on the Friday night, winning 3-2, then Celtic on the Saturday, finishing up with Kilmarnock on the Sunday. We were 2 goals up on Killie but our legs went and we lost on pens.

I think the "big" turning point that season was when we surrendered a 2 goal lead to a 10man Celtic side in the last 6 mins. This was not long after the Dryborough Cup Final, and the day the Copland Road Stand was officially opened.
I'm sure we played at Rugby Park in the Dryborough Cup semi final on the Wednesday too, so 4 games in 5 days.

Might have the name wrong, but I have a vague memory of a defender called Steve Richardson playing that night.

I'm sure we played at Rugby Park in the Dryborough Cup semi final on the Wednesday too, so 4 games in 5 days.

Might have the name wrong, but I have a vague memory of a defender called Steve Richardson playing that night.
I only came back from holiday on the Friday afternoon, so you may well be right. I have no recollection of the Wednesday game.
I attended all three games over the weekend.

Back