The gap

ThomasMRFC

Posted in a thread but thought it should be highlighted

The alternative
worst case scenario it’s the same as last year and Gerrard leaves. What then we get someone in. RIP everything up and sign another 10 players so the new guy can get his own guys in?

We don’t have a Walter Smith type manager who can find a way with 0 money

Until the financial gap is closed and we can spend 9 million on a striker

5 mil on 2 left backs

7 mil on a centre back

Nothing will change

We have a kit deal hampering us they don’t

They have 8000 extra season ticket revenue

They are selling players for millions because of winning trophies and champions league exposure. That’s what 2012 gave them this financial lead. Throw in champions league money as well

There is no way of closing the gap without winning the league it is a catch 22

Unless we get a new owner willing to lose money but that is pie in he sky . It didn’t happen at our peak it won’t happen now

2012 caused this and even though we didn’t ‘die’ the free runs at the title has them so far ahead we can’t catch up .

Will it last forever no. They will have a bad year or 2. But will it happen before 10. I doubt it means to much to them

But until we find a way to bridge the gap they have built up over 7/8 years we will likely finish second. In most leagues around the world the team that spends the most money wins the league juventus, Man City, Bayern. You might get the odd lecister but it’s rare

Although i see where your coming from its also worst case scenario.

Whoever scored first today was going to win today that's ultimately the truth the fact they did meant they could sit back and hit on the break and spoil the game with the random injurys and rime wasting. Which is what we would have done if we had scored first.

They deserved to win today they were first to every second ball and wanted it more.

But we have shown we are a match for them on our day we just need to build consistency and confidence against the rest

this league will be won against the rest of the league if we can can one win and two draws on the remaining games against them

Don’t entirely buy that . Morelos cost a million , good players are out there that don’t cost the earth .

However , they do need to play for 90 minutes and in the correct formation to make it work

You might find 1/2 gems but right now I feel our team are playing to the level I’d expect for the amount we paid. Comfortably second but not ever being the front runner or in a position to make 1st our own. To make the jump we need 2/3 players at 5/6 million or get really really lucky with moreles. They have eduord , julien, ntcham , Sinclair . That’s 25 mil and 2 of them don’t play. Like most things in life you get what you pay for and right now we are with comfortably second last season. Typically players like moreles get found by the bigger clubs with better scouting networks . We had inside knowledge of the league with JJ that’s why we got moreles

Although i see where your coming from its also worst case scenario.

Whoever scored first today was going to win today that's ultimately the truth the fact they did meant they could sit back and hit on the break and spoil the game with the random injurys and rime wasting. Which is what we would have done if we had scored first.

They deserved to win today they were first to every second ball and wanted it more.

But we have shown we are a match for them on our day we just need to build consistency and confidence against the rest

this league will be won against the rest of the league if we can can one win and two draws on the remaining games against them

Is there not a crazy stat that the team scoring first in a OF has lost 2/50 or something

Smart player recruitment helps.

I must say am starting to question Mark Allen signing policy.

Need Quality but just have Quantity just now.

Being honest they need to lose it for us to win it with the finances they have.

There starting 11 today cost 26 million. Ours cost 6/7 million. That’s gonna add up over the course of a season even if can win one off games like December

They have much bigger, deeper squad. Over 38 games that will usually be crucial.

We might regret last season as they were fairly dreck...this season they already seem more focused.

We made them look good today. Their press paid off but Brown strolled it. He didn't do that in any of the 4 games last year.

I still don't think their squad is any better than ours.

Look how many of them came from SPL clubs.

Brown, Christie, Hayes. McGregor. This gives me hope for players like Stewart, Doc andto some extent Murphy.

Forrest and Johnson came through their youths. We can't be too far away from producing some first team regulars

Griffiths was a failure in the 3rd tier of the EPL.

I'd also struggle to believe that Lennon has a better coaching staff than SG. He walks away with a victory today, but really, TLB a tactical genius or great motivator and man-manager?

The difference for me is the confidence that only comes from winning things.

That's more significant than the financial disparity.

Still a long way to go but I'll tell you one thing we better give them a game at the piggery when it comes around, they owe us that much

The biggest gap between the sides is in the forward area.They look like they can score every time they are around the box.their midfielders are prepared to have a pop ,their wide players weight in with their share as well.We look as if we are struggling to score most of the time, we have Nobody who can strike a ball from distance and oor wide players score very few goals.We are over reliant on our strikers to score all our goals and until we get goals regularly from other areas we are winning zilch

I can understand the yahoos have a massive advantage financially right now but that just makes it all the more important we get our signings right and frankly that’s not happening.

£3.5m for Helander, £1.5m for Grezda, £1.5m for Barisic that’s £6.5m worth of players who didn’t even kick a ball for us today. Add to that about £15k a week being wasted on wages for guys who are no better than our youth players signed over the last year.

Back