The general Warsaw help thread.

I should point out I'm not in Warsaw I am up north in Gdańsk however happy to help with translations, local customs, generic Polish questions.

There are good transport links in Warsaw but I would highly recommend downloading Uber or the App Taxify. Uber is very cheap here and there is always drivers available.

For the Warsaw specific questions I'll ask my friends that live there and come back to you.

Legia certainly aren't the most violent football fans here but the hooligan culture is a lot more prominent here and they don't mess about, they actually have training sessions in MMA gyms etc so I would advise bears to watch there backs at all times.

Updates in the OP would work best mate, js.

If flying to Warsaw Chopin get the train to the centre as the taxis can be a bump. Train station is at the airport.

If flying to Warsaw Modlin, then I would recommend you book Modlin Bus to the centre. Book online or buy a tkt at exit doors of the airport. If the bus is full you can get another bus to the train station in Modlin town.

https://www.modlinbus.com/

Return bus to the airport at Plac Defilad which is the main square under the Soviet tower.

What flight you on mate?

I’ve booked a transfer and have 6 spare spaces if anyone is on the 8.45 out of Leeds/Bradford, if any bears on here are on this flight.

Just checked and we are both due to land at 12.10 local time - I'll have one of those spare seats on the transfer if that's ok - just hope Ryanair dont %^*& the flights up!

Poles are generally very hospitable - as long as people dont go around acting the fool and insulting the locals all will be well.
Only concern is the return leg when Legia will attract undesirables to their support.

does singing Rangers songs come under the "insulting the locals" bracket? That's a genuine query. I know some places or clubs might not take kindly and see singing songs for the opposition as an attempt to 'take' their city.

does singing Rangers songs come under the "insulting the locals" bracket? That's a genuine query. I know some places or clubs might not take kindly and see singing songs for the opposition as an attempt to 'take' their city.
Absolutely no problem with singing.I was thinking more along the lines of chucking ale around a boozer or insulting people.

Just checked and we are both due to land at 12.10 local time - I'll have one of those spare seats on the transfer if that's ok - just hope Ryanair dont %^*& the flights up!

Ours is Ryanair landing at 12.10 as well mate. Believe ours is a return flight to Warsaw so hopefully Polish pilots and won’t be affected by the strike.

Will PM you.

Won’t let me PM you mate. Could you try PMing me with your number.

@LoyalTrueBlue Where would you recommend to stay in Gdansk tomorrow night, any bars that are worth a visit, what is the best site to book the train to Warsaw?

@LoyalTrueBlue Where would you recommend to stay in Gdansk tomorrow night, any bars that are worth a visit, what is the best site to book the train to Warsaw?
Do you mean Hotel wise?

If I were you I'd get an Uber or Train to Sopot and go to Monte Cassino Street and sample the bars and pubs there as it's a lot nicer and you can go a walk on the board walk.

Sopot, Gdańsk and Gdynia are 3 cities (Trójmiasto) which border each other and are easily accessible via Uber or train.

Do you mean Hotel wise?

If I were you I'd get an Uber or Train to Sopot and go to Monte Cassino Street and sample the bars and pubs there as it's a lot nicer and you can go a walk on the board walk.

Sopot, Gdańsk and Gdynia are 3 cities (Trójmiasto) which border each other and are easily accessible via Uber or train.
Thanks will look at a hotel in Sopot for the night then, is polrail the train website?

Thanks mate much appreciated if your about tomorrow night and fancy heading out will get you a few beers.

Thanks for the offer but I'm now back in Scotland. Split my time between the two countries but mostly in Scotland.

But for all bears reading this trust me download Uber it's so cheap in Poland and will get you exactly where you need to go with minimal fuss.

Thanks for the offer but I'm now back in Scotland. Split my time between the two countries but mostly in Scotland.

But for all bears reading this trust me download Uber it's so cheap in Poland and will get you exactly where you need to go with minimal fuss.
No problem cheers, how much would an Uber be from Gdansk to Warsaw out of interest?

Around 2pm

There's a train leaving Gdańsk at 1349 which is 3.5hours for 63 złoty (£12) which is 2nd class which will probably be in a wee communist style cabin with 6-8 in with you or you can go 1st class for 82 złoty (£17) (which I think is a no brainer as 1st class in Poland is good)

Or

1443 which is 2hr 53m and 150 złoty (about 30 quid) again 2nd class or 1st class is 229 złoty about £46.

I'm being reliably informed by the Mrs you could actually go to the train station tomorrow and buy in person for Wednesday.

Hope this helps

There's a train leaving Gdańsk at 1349 which is 3.5hours for 63 złoty (£12) which is 2nd class which will probably be in a wee communist style cabin with 6-8 in with you or you can go 1st class for 82 złoty (£17) (which I think is a no brainer as 1st class in Poland is good)

Or

1443 which is 2hr 53m and 150 złoty (about 30 quid) again 2nd class or 1st class is 229 złoty about £46.

I'm being reliably informed by the Mrs you could actually go to the train station tomorrow and buy in person for Wednesday.

Hope this helps

There are pendolino trains from Gdańsk to Warsaw which helps with time.

If you buy booze on the train you probably have to drink it in that cabin rather than take to seats. Polish law.

I'd be avoiding that champions sports bar which is doing the rounds on twitter, I can't understand why someone would promote one of the most expensive bars in Warsaw?

Been to Poland twice and the average price of a pint is £1.50

I arrive in Warsaw 10pm Wednesday night , what time do most bars close?

I'd be avoiding that champions sports bar which is doing the rounds on twitter, I can't understand why someone would promote one of the most expensive bars in Warsaw?

The only reason people mention is because it's quite large but yeah, better places to go to.

Plenty of bars in the old town center that are walking distance from each other.

I’m the same, Champions bar can be double the price of a pint in comparison to other places.

There is a holiday Inn at Gdańsk which may be good for you, I meant more Sopot for the bars/pubs. Use www.booking.com for either Sopot or Gdańsk and you'll get something decent.

https://www.intercity.pl/en/ for the train
If overnighting in Gdansk even just one night we usually rent a small apartment in the city centre ....generally excellent value (dont take the piss by having more bodies than beds !). Booking.com
Presumably Warsaw similar.

Unsure mate, I've been to Poznan twice and some of the bars stay open until the last person leaves haha.
I was in Krakow a few months ago , but had my kids with me , so mainly had a few beers in our room late at night.
Hopefully my Hotel bar will be accommodating tomorrow night
:cool:

I’m at the Legia stadium now, having a pint and some food in their sports bar.

I walked from my hotel. It’s a fair distance but an easy walk and it’s roasting here at the moment.

There’s plenty of trams, taxis, buses but I’m sure there will be a meet up point for the travelling Bears and it seems an easy city to get around.

I commented on twitter that Champions was an expensive pint, HardRock the same but both are big pubs.
There is a cracking bar called PiwPaw that sells loads of different beers and is central with plenty bars around it. A Titty bar is just across the road if that is what you want.
Eating and drinking in Warsaw is good value for money and if you go down the carryout route then you could get blootered for less than a tenner.

Last edited:
I commented on twitter that Champions was an expensive pint, HardRock the same but both are big pubs.
There is a cracking bar called PiwPaw that sells loads of different beers and is central with plenty bars around it. A Titty bar is just across the road if that is what you want.
Eating and drinking in Warsaw is good value for money and if you go down the carryout route then you could get blootered for less than a tenner.

That's what I want to hear :cool:

Back