The general Warsaw help thread.

Hi everyone,
I'm a Charlton fan who lives in Warsaw and will be going to the game on Thursday in the home end. I go to Legia fairly often and I've never seen any trouble there.
However, normally away fans for League games are bused in by police from the Central Warsaw train station and the two fans never cross paths, so it will be a bit unusual to have away fans making their own way to the stadium. I'd advise that people travelling by Cab/Uber to the stadium make sure they ask to go to the 'Legia Tennis Stadium' (other side of the road from the fan zone) as that is where the away fans entrance is. If you ask a taxi driver to just drop you at the stadium then you'll arrive outside the Zyleta stand (Ultras stand) side of the ground and left with a 10 minute walk through thousands of Legia fans that you probably don't want.

There will be lots of police by the stadium but not necessarily around the rest of Warsaw, and so if you're walking to the stadium from the centre then be prepared to walk with the Legia fans also.
Hopefully they'll be no trouble, and most of the supporters are friendly/welcoming, but they do have plenty of idiots.

Weather looks good Thursday, so drinking in the centre during the day should be enjoyable. Personally I'd avoid places like Champions (expensive) and British Bull Dog as they're both on one of the main roads in Warsaw and there's really no space outside those pubs for people to congregate anyway (you'd just have to drink inside and it'll be hot).
The Old Town doesn't really have many bars/pubs as it is away from the centre of Warsaw, so it's just tourists there and some restaurants.
However, along 'Krakowskie Przedmiescie' and 'Nowy Swiat' (the two roads that link the centre of Warsaw to the Old Town) there are plenty of goods bars and pubs to visit Wednesday evening and Thursday.
A good place for drinking is by the river during the day. Several bars there and plenty of space around the area of the Kopernicus Science Centre (on the red metro line it's 'Centrum Nauki Kopernik'. The riverbank is also the only place in Warsaw where you're legally allowed to drink outside in public areas, either with alcohol from bars or your own stuff.
The fanzone looks the best place to be before the game, and if you're there from the afternoon onwards you probably wont even see any Legia on Thursday fans until you're in the stadium.

I think you'll easily beat Legia over two games - they're not a great side. Joe Aribo should look like David Silva compared to their midfielders.
They did make the Champions League group stages a couple of years ago, but they had the easiest draws possibly (I think the play-off was against Dundalk, and they almost lost the 2nd leg at home).

Hope you all enjoy Warsaw, and tbh I hope you get the win on Thursday.

Hi everyone,
I'm a Charlton fan who lives in Warsaw and will be going to the game on Thursday in the home end. I go to Legia fairly often and I've never seen any trouble there.
However, normally away fans for League games are bused in by police from the Central Warsaw train station and the two fans never cross paths, so it will be a bit unusual to have away fans making their own way to the stadium. I'd advise that people travelling by Cab/Uber to the stadium make sure they ask to go to the 'Legia Tennis Stadium' (other side of the road from the fan zone) as that is where the away fans entrance is. If you ask a taxi driver to just drop you at the stadium then you'll arrive outside the Zyleta stand (Ultras stand) side of the ground and left with a 10 minute walk through thousands of Legia fans that you probably don't want.

There will be lots of police by the stadium but not necessarily around the rest of Warsaw, and so if you're walking to the stadium from the centre then be prepared to walk with the Legia fans also.
Hopefully they'll be no trouble, and most of the supporters are friendly/welcoming, but they do have plenty of idiots.

Weather looks good Thursday, so drinking in the centre during the day should be enjoyable. Personally I'd avoid places like Champions (expensive) and British Bull Dog as they're both on one of the main roads in Warsaw and there's really no space outside those pubs for people to congregate anyway (you'd just have to drink inside and it'll be hot).
The Old Town doesn't really have many bars/pubs as it is away from the centre of Warsaw, so it's just tourists there and some restaurants.
However, along 'Krakowskie Przedmiescie' and 'Nowy Swiat' (the two roads that link the centre of Warsaw to the Old Town) there are plenty of goods bars and pubs to visit Wednesday evening and Thursday.
A good place for drinking is by the river during the day. Several bars there and plenty of space around the area of the Kopernicus Science Centre (on the red metro line it's 'Centrum Nauki Kopernik'. The riverbank is also the only place in Warsaw where you're legally allowed to drink outside in public areas, either with alcohol from bars or your own stuff.
The fanzone looks the best place to be before the game, and if you're there from the afternoon onwards you probably wont even see any Legia on Thursday fans until you're in the stadium.

I think you'll easily beat Legia over two games - they're not a great side. Joe Aribo should look like David Silva compared to their midfielders.
They did make the Champions League group stages a couple of years ago, but they had the easiest draws possibly (I think the play-off was against Dundalk, and they almost lost the 2nd leg at home).

Good info mate. Nice one!

Hi everyone,

Great info. Is the Tennis Stadium 'Stadion Tenisowy Legia?'

Great info. Is the Tennis Stadium 'Stadion Tenisowy Legia?'

Yeah that's it. There's a path along the canal to the away end.
ECbDR5lWkAMFdJq

Incidentally, the UK embassy is behind the away end, on the other side of the canal.
'Ambasada Zjednoczonego Królestwa' - hopefully no one needs to go there Friday morning!

Yeah that's it. There's a path along the canal to the away end.
ECbDR5lWkAMFdJq

Incidentally, the UK embassy is behind the away end, on the other side of the canal.
'Ambasada Zjednoczonego Królestwa' - hopefully no one needs to go there Friday morning!
What's going to be the best way of getting back to the city centre after the game James? Are there many taxis about?

What's going to be the best way of getting back to the city centre after the game James? Are there many taxis about?

Yeah there should be, especially on Uber. Most Legia fans get public transport or just walk to the centre.

From 'Rozbrat 02' bus stop there are buses 525 and 520 that go straight to 'Centrum' (Central Metro Station) - only 10 minute journey.
This bus stop is on the main road which is on a bridge heading over the black circle, however this circled area is really a 'Legia area' where some fans drink before and after the game in cheap pop-up bars under the bridge. I'm not sure the police will allow you to pass through that area straight after the game.

Screenshot-2019-08-20-at-21-08-27.png

I guess they might keep you inside for a short while.
The stadium empties quite fast and most people just go home, but some Legia fans hang around these bars.

Best bet is a cab/uber.
Walking back to the centre from the stadium is an option, but means you have to go uphill most the way. It's not exactly Everest though.

Yeah there should be, especially on Uber. Most Legia fans get public transport or just walk to the centre.

From 'Rozbrat 02' bus stop there are buses 525 and 520 that go straight to 'Centrum' (Central Metro Station) - only 10 minute journey.
This bus stop is on the main road which is on a bridge heading over the black circle, however this circled area is really a 'Legia area' where some fans drink before and after the game in cheap pop-up bars under the bridge. I'm not sure the police will allow you to pass through that area straight after the game.

Screenshot-2019-08-20-at-21-08-27.png

I guess they might keep you inside for a short while.
The stadium empties quite fast and most people just go home, but some Legia fans hang around these bars.

Best bet is a cab/uber.
Walking back to the centre from the stadium is an option, but means you have to go uphill most the way. It's not exactly Everest though.
Thanks mate

@jamesf05 thanks for the info.

Are there clubs etc that you’d recommend for Wednesday night ?

For a Wednesday I'm not so sure, because students who would go out midweek tend to leave Warsaw during the summer and go back home, and so it might not be so busy.

However, I know on Wednesdays that 'Teatr Cubano' should be busy still. It's central, quite near the old town.
There is also a club near the centre called 'Klub Park' which is 20zl (£4) entrance and they do unlimited free beer until 1am on Wednesdays.
Both of these are more international themed, in terms of music and the people in there.
They have more info on facebook.

Around Centrum there are Polish disco-type places, like 'Meta Disco', but again i'm not sure what they're like on a Wednesday.

For a Wednesday I'm not so sure, because students who would go out midweek tend to leave Warsaw during the summer and go back home, and so it might not be so busy.

However, I know on Wednesdays that 'Teatr Cubano' should be busy still. It's central, quite near the old town.
There is also a club near the centre called 'Klub Park' which is 20zl (£4) entrance and they do unlimited free beer until 1am on Wednesdays.
Both of these are more international themed, in terms of music and the people in there.

Around Centrum there are Polish disco-type places, like 'Meta Disco', but again i'm not sure what they're like on a Wednesday.
Fkn what?? Carnage in a can!

£4 entry and free unlimited beer you say.:eek:

Hi everyone,

Great post mate. Thank you.

The only time I was in Warsaw was 1984/5 and all I can remember is this huge communist building in the middle of what seemed to be the downtown square. I recall a few decent bars off to the east side, but no doubt its all changed since then.

Sorry for the redundant post

A good few in champions bar tonight around £4 a pint

Madness paying that in Poland. Having said that, it’s not as expensive as Oslo Airport, my son and his mates stopped of there en route to Warsaw, they paid the equivalent of £60 for 3 pints and a filled roll.

Madness paying that in Poland. Having said that, it’s not as expensive as Oslo Airport, my son and his mates stopped of there en route to Warsaw, they paid the equivalent of £60 for 3 pints and a filled roll.

I think I could wait rather than paying £20 for that.

I commented on twitter that Champions was an expensive pint, HardRock the same but both are big pubs.
There is a cracking bar called PiwPaw that sells loads of different beers and is central with plenty bars around it. A Titty bar is just across the road if that is what you want.
Eating and drinking in Warsaw is good value for money and if you go down the carryout route then you could get blootered for less than a tenner.
Aye piwpaw was open 24hr when I was there 2 years ago. Jaberwocky close by is good for beer too. That titty bar (exotic) was dangerous. They had a stripper on my pals knee, he had his top off for some reason and the barmaid was sitting next to them with the contactless machine and he was just hitting his card off it. We went in and pulled him out. He had made it up to £680 at this point

Back