The Gherald reporting that the Peasants could be granted an automatic Champions League place every season

Sounds like complete fabricated pish BUT the way football is going nowadays anything can happen. Its all about the rich and powerful clubs and they will bring in a few diddy clubs as a ploy re making it look like "historical clubs".
As the OP states, is it were to happen, it would be catastrophic for us.

It could be fun, if they had to play the original team of players from their win. Pish stained old bertie getting a run out, now I'd watch that nonsense.

Would it give us a very good reason to apply for the English League? After all we would be unable to ever compete with the scum if this came to pass. Not that I think it will.

Let previous winners in at first qualifying round if they have not qualified by any other means. Absolutely no more than that

Apparently, UEFA want to change the Champions League and clubs that have won the trophy before could be given a automatic spot. Utterly horrific, if true.

It's celtic that want to change the rules to this not UEFA as far as I'm aware. I heard mutterings about this a while back.

Apparently, UEFA want to change the Champions League and clubs that have won the trophy before could be given a automatic spot. Utterly horrific, if true.

Nottingham forest, aston villa, hamburg, steaua Bucharest and red star belgrade as well?

There wouldn’t be any need for qualification if this was true. There will be enough different winners to make up the groups without qualification through league places. It doesn’t make sense.

Having Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest, Celtic and Red Star Belgrade in the CL every year isn’t what UEFA want

That's like Gary Player getting automatic entry to The Masters every year.
he does. you win it you get invited back to whatever major you won. thats why big sandy lyle pops up every so often. not sure if all are the same but its the green jacket lot. im not a golf fan btw.

The potatoes obsessed riffraff in the Q for one of the world's premier sporting competitions before Manchester City,PSG, Seville,Roma, Arsenal,Atletico Madrid and numerous others?......:D
A sellik fanzine pandering to it's jaikie readership.

did you not read what the proposal was in the OP? Past winners....all 3 of them clubs are past European Cup winners.

The proposal isn't past winners though, the OP just said that.

It's "clubs with 'great historical importance to football.'

The suggestion being that they fit the criteria by being the first UK side to win the old European Cup.

It sounds nonsense. However I'd never rule anything out, not with that lot.

Here we are thinking they'll face financial penalties from their abuse scandal but instead walk into the Champions League.

The suggestion being that they fit the criteria by being the first UK side to win the old European Cup.

my mistake, must have misread it.

So, Feyenoord get entry as the first Dutch winners? Steau Bucharest as the first Romanian winners? Benfica. Manchester United. Red Star Belgrade. Marseille. Where do you stop? Who defines ‘great historical importance to football’? Celtic were (sadly) the first Scottish team, UEFA doesn’t recognise the UK in football terms so that is an irrelevance.

It's not nonsense, but there's more to it.

The Telegraph reported about it a fortnight ago, including quotes from the ECA.

The issue that is being discussed is that coefficients would be heavily weighted by historical achievement in the competition, so a Celtic, Red Star or PSV wouldn't have had to play in the qualifiers this season. That may actually pass without too much controversy as a gesture of goodwill towards the smaller nations. The coefficients already changed to accommodate a watered down version of this and they already make it easier for domestic winners in qualifying, so don't write this plan off.

The proposals to have 8 team groups or weekend games are very divisive though and the the EPL and Bundesliga have come out strongly against it.

The teams they beat on the way to the final is laughable!

The stellar names they put out were Zurich, Nantes, Vojvodina and Dukla Prague. A feat so impressive we should all get a national holiday.
. Funny how that stellar list of Europe's elite clubs is quickly passed over when lauding the fluke of the century. They won it in May and lost it in September, another fact not open to discussion.

So, Feyenoord get entry as the first Dutch winners? Steau Bucharest as the first Romanian winners? Benfica. Manchester United. Red Star Belgrade. Marseille. Where do you stop? Who defines ‘great historical importance to football’? Celtic were (sadly) the first Scottish team, UEFA doesn’t recognise the UK in football terms so that is an irrelevance.

I have no idea about the others, I was just pointing out that the proposal was not them getting in because they had won the previous cup, as people had clearly been discussing.

I have no idea what the criteria would be, or who would make the decision.

Just so we are clear, I also said I didn't think it would happen.

It's not nonsense, but there's more to it.

The Telegraph reported about it a fortnight ago, including quotes from the ECA.

The issue that is being discussed is that coefficients would be heavily weighted by historical achievement in the competition, so a Celtic, Red Star or PSV wouldn't have had to play in the qualifiers this season. That may actually pass without too much controversy as a gesture of goodwill towards the smaller nations. The coefficients already changed to accommodate a watered down version of this and they already make it easier for domestic winners in qualifying, so don't write this plan off.

The proposals to have 8 team groups or weekend games are very divisive though and the the EPL and Bundesliga have come out strongly against it.

I’m not sure the increase in co-efficient points (as you say, that’s the proposal rather than the reported automatic entry to group stages) will be enough to see them avoid qualifiers. As I understand it there will only be something like 4 teams that make it through the qualifiers. Can’t belive the Scottish media are saying they are ‘of historical significance’ because they are the ‘first British team’ to win it. There’s no such thing as a ‘British’ team in the Champions League.

Celtic won a cup 52 years ago so should be granted automatic entry to the Champions League every year? I can see the Russians, Croatians, Turkish, Greek and Austrian teams going along with that :D

Selic fans react with fury at UEFA proposal to allow all teams who have won a European trophy to be given automatic CL entry.

Only one team in Europe would regularly benefit from this and the idea was proposed by pistol pete.
Surely UEFA would see through the sly bastia and his corrupt idea.

Exactly. Giving every former winner of the EC a place in the CL would mean few others could ever qualify. There would be no spaces

And again, that's not actually what is being claimed.

The claimed proposal is nonsense, but it isn't that every former winner of the Champions League or European Cup would get an automatic place in the Champions League every season.

Bad example mAte as all past winners do get automatic invite, at least for a number of years. That’s the only reason why Sandy Lyle still plays each year.

I’m sure that the Man City and PSG’s of this world will be perfectly understanding of this, not!

Martina Navratilova being invited to Wimbledon every year is maybe a better example

While we are at it the past winners of the world cup should automatically qualify for the finals as well.

I agree with the scums proposal all past winners should be entered in to the groups but the exemption should be for those who have won it in the last 50 years .:))

If this happened, we'd be finished.
Every team in Scotland would be as well just giving up.

I can't see it happening, however.

In the very unlikely event that something like this ever came to pass, would we not have grounds to sue based on a two-horse race in Scotland becoming a one-horse race?
Unfair competition or something.

Utter horseshit. And if it somehow comes to pass then it will simply be another nail in the coffin of the current Uefa structure. It would surely precipitate full-on legal challenges and breakaway set ups, which is exactly what the fuds have been desperate to avoid for the past couple of decades.

If they get an automatic entry, wouldn't second place in our league also take the 'champions spot' if they won the league.

It would perversely work in our favour most of the time (unless we finished third).

What would be the point of Celtic even trying to win the league it's all about getting to the land of milk and honey they only need to play in the champions league and they could actually be relegated to whatever league and still qualify for CL ...nah a total load of shite

Liewell has his fluffers putting out all sorts of pish as season ticket renewal looms, its what he does.

Back