Archive Season 2022/23 - The Great Big Bumper Thread of RangersTV Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
About time one of these got an official tag! Great work again VBN. Love the new title too :))

I happen to be going on a few trips this year, so will trying to find how to get RTV when abroad ;)

@Valley Bluenose - if you make the first post a generic guide after the Malmo game I will link to this thread in every Match Thread.

You do an amazing job, and it has been noticed by the Admin team and is very much appreciated. We give you our thanks.
@Valley Bluenose is also ex RAF so when we open this thread you should fix it so we hear The RAF March. That WOULD be cool:

Edit: Or pull strings to make it the opening theme to RTV much in the same way as Lillibullero was in the old days of The World Service.

For non-season ticket holders wanting the Livi game tomorrow:

The game isn’t available in the UK (except for Virtual Match Pass viewers). So, in order to purchase you need to use your VPN.

Turn on your VPN, set to overseas location like France, Belgium etc, go to RangersTV Home page, do NOT login, click on Subscribe button and PPV for Livi will be there to buy. Purchase process will take you through login.

Time to turn our thoughts to Malmö away on Tuesday night now.

For those overseas or ‘overseas’ (via a VPN) it’s only £7.99. I’m actually quite surprised it’s not the regular £9.99 so it’s a bargain.:D

Some guidance on how it all works in the OP for anyone new to this. A simple reminder for others.

The Malmö away match is now available to purchase for those overseas or 'overseas' at a cost of £7.99. Take care you don’t purchase the Home tie by mistake as a couple of posters have done.

New season, so time for a ‘refresh’ on how to make it all work. All instructions below are for desktop/laptop. Whatever device you use for your viewing, I’d recommend using the website rather than the (poor) App. That’s not always possible if you want to cast though. Using a TV browser is at your own risk, many are not up to the task. I still can’t get the App to launch on Fire TV Stick either but Silk browser works for me.

1. The away game against Malmo is available on Premier Sports but for those – the majority hopefully – who want to give their money to the Club you can view it on RangersTV provided you are overseas or have access to a VPN to make it appear you are overseas. I won’t go into what a VPN is too much because we’ve covered it often but if anybody wants more info just ask.

2. If using a VPN, I would always recommend a good quality paid-for VPN. The Club have links with NordVPN and they are as good as it gets, especially if you are going to be using it long-term. There are others out there. For a one-off use there are options such as Opera, which is free, but they tend to have drawbacks. Any VPN will slow down your connection and can lead to buffering. A free/cheap VPN will generally slow it down more than a good quality one such as NordVPN.

Summer Deal: buy NordVPN's 2-year plan with 72% off! | NordVPN

Buying the Match

3. If you don’t have the Unlimited (overseas) subscription then you need to PPV. You can only purchase matches via the website and not via the App. Apple/Google get a 20%+ slice of the pie for in-App purchases so it’s not viable for the club.

4. Switch on your VPN and set it to a location overseas. Ideally select a location near to the UK. France, Belgium, The Netherlands are all favourites of mine. These will generally have lower latency that areas further afield, i.e. they will be ‘quicker’.

5. To check that its worked, if you want to, click on the following link. It should show you as located in the country of your choice.

What Is My IP Address - See Your Public Address - IPv4 & IPv6

6. Go to the RangersTV Home page. Do NOT login. Click on any button that says Subscribe or Buy Match Pass. This will bring up a page of options available for purchase by overseas users. This will include the upcoming game. Click to purchase the game and the purchase process will take you through Login as part of the payment process. Don’t worry about any messages regarding an existing subscription just click through them (unless you actually have Unlimited LOL). You do not need a UK address or UK bank details to purchase. Once your purchase is made you can relax and wait until about an hour before kick-off time.

Viewing the Match

7. If you have turned it off, go back and turn on your VPN and set it to your location of choice (France, Belgium etc). Normally, around 1 hour before the match (though sometimes it’s much less) the Watch Live button will appear on the RangersTV Home page.

RangersTV | Rangers Football Club

8. Go to the RangersTV Home page (with your VPN set to overseas) and Login. When the Watch Live button appears (sometimes it goes red) click on it. If the stream is ‘live’ you will normally get the placeholder page for Erskine from about 1 hour before kick-off. ‘Moving pictures’ generally appear about half an hour before kick-off, though this can vary. If you cannot find the game, scroll down to the section headed RangersTV Latest and the game should appear in there.

9. To make sure you get sound, either roll your mouse over the top left-hand corner of the video window and click on Unmute when it appears – or simply go to the Enlarge icon in the bottom right and go Full Screen, which will unmute automatically.

10. At this stage, to help reduce any buffering, I’d also click on the Settings icon in the bottom right of the video panel and change it from Auto to 1080P. If you encounter buffering after this then try dropping it down another step to see if it helps. In extreme times, Tranmere game was one, the stream became unwatchable due to buffering. In that instance I pulled the bottom slider bar back by roughly 2 minutes and pressed Play. No more buffering but, of course, I was a few minutes behind ‘live’. Hopefully we never need to do that again.

11. Keep an eye on FollowFollow. Generally, someone will post ‘live now’ or ‘moving pictures’ or similar. If your screen doesn’t reflect that then simply Refresh your browser.

One final point, please, please make sure you do not login on more than 1 device at a time. If you do, you risk having your Account blocked and will need to go down the Forgotten Password route. If you are in the habit of leaving yourself logged in of the App, for example, make sure you logout of the App before trying to login via your browser. When done watching, logout and turn off your VPN.

That’s it. Happy viewing - or Lets’ Go (Again) as Stevie G would say.

I have a busy week as we have visitors but I will, hopefully, get the chance to drop in and out of this thread – though not as often as I normally would. Plenty others on hand, many with more knowledge than me, who can help out though.
Great post / thanks

a question though

I’ve just seen I’ve got access to a VPN through my Norton antivirus subscription so I think I will try the VPN route for this game

my query is about step 8 on the guide above.
When you say login? Do you mean login with existing RangersTV account? Or should I create a new account when buying the match (when the VPN is on / I’m connecting to the rangers website initially?

Any help would be appreciated, cheers

Great post / thanks

a question though

I’ve just seen I’ve got access to a VPN through my Norton antivirus subscription so I think I will try the VPN route for this game

When you say login? Do you mean login with existing RangersTV account? Or should I create a new account when buying the match (when the VPN is on / I’m connecting to the rangers website initially?

@Valley Bluenose can correct me if wrong. :))

But, turn on your VPN first then login with your existing RTV account. No need for a separate RTV account for VPN viewing.

Great post / thanks

a question though

You use your existing RangersTV Account mate. No need for an overseas address, no need for an overseas Credit Card or anything like that.

So, first step is VPN on. Then try to buy the match. The purchase process will take you through the login process, using your existing account.

You use your existing RangersTV Account mate. No need for an overseas address, no need for an overseas Credit Card or anything like that.

So, first step is VPN on. Then try to buy the match. The purchase process will take you through the login process, using your existing account.
Ok thanks, much appreciated , I will give it a go tomorrow & see how i get on.

Time to turn our thoughts to Malmö away on Tuesday night now.

For those overseas or ‘overseas’ (via a VPN) it’s only £7.99. I’m actually quite surprised it’s not the regular £9.99 so it’s a bargain.:D

Some guidance on how it all works in the OP for anyone new to this. A simple reminder for others.
Helpful as ever.

I’m abroad and on the site but even when I’m using the link from the article about the game tomorrow saying ‘purchase here’ it’s only letting me buy the home game. Any ideas?

I bought pretty much every away game individually last season and had been intending to just buy the unlimited package this season. Is the game tomorrow available when you buy ‘RTV unlimited’ or do you still need to buy Euro games separately?

Helpful as ever.

I’m abroad and on the site but even when I’m using the link from the article about the game tomorrow saying ‘purchase here’ it’s only letting me buy the home game. Any ideas?

I bought pretty much every away game individually last season and had been intending to just buy the unlimited package this season. Is the game tomorrow available when you buy ‘RTV unlimited’ or do you still need to buy Euro games separately?
If you are abroad make sure your device sees you as abroad by clicking on the ‘what’s My IP’ link in the OP. It should show you as being in the country overseas. If it doesn’t, try clearing cache/cookies and try again until it does.

Don’t use the link in the article. As per the OP go to the RangersTV Home page. Do NOT login. Click on Subscribe next to tomorrow nights game. Select Buy Now for tomorrow’s game in the options that come up (be careful not to select the Home leg by mistake) and the purchase process will take you through login.

If you are abroad make sure your device sees you as abroad by clicking on the ‘what’s My IP’ link in the OP. It should show you as being in the country overseas. If it doesn’t, try clearing cache/cookies and try again until it does.

Don’t use the link in the article. As per the OP go to the RangersTV Home page. Do NOT login. Click on Subscribe next to tomorrow nights game. Select Buy Now for tomorrow’s game in the options that come up (be careful not to select the Home leg by mistake) and the purchase process will take you through login.
I had already tried the method in the OP before trying the link. Either way I’m only being offered the home game v Malmö even though I’m being offered the Dundee Utd game and RTV unlimited. Thanks anyway though.

Great thread

Anyone having issues with Chromecast button? Arsenal game allowed me to chromecast, but it went to the start of the stream (30 mins before broadcast) rather than live without option of going live.

I had already tried the method in the OP before trying the link. Either way I’m only being offered the home game v Malmö even though I’m being offered the Dundee Utd game and RTV unlimited. Thanks anyway though.
Now that’s bizarre. You are making sure you have NOT logged in? That’s important.

I have the Unlimited package. If I login from overseas there is currently nothing next to the Malmö v Rangers game. Watch Live will appear later.

If I go to the Home page from overseas and do NOT login there is a Subscribe button. Clicking on that brings up all the options available for purchase including tonight’s game.

I‘d suggest making sure you are NOT logged in. If it’s still the same then logout, clear cache/cookies, VPN off, VPN on, open browser and try again.

Usually HDMI from laptop to TV but was going to try browser on firestick anybody do that and does it work well ?

Usually HDMI from laptop to TV but was going to try browser on firestick anybody do that and does it work well ?
Are you overseas? Remember you need a VPN for tonight if you aren’t so that might be an issue on Firestick.

If overseas, I’ve used Silk browser on Fire TV Stick. It works fine, so long as you have a strong Wi-fi signal to the Fire TV Stick. I’d always recommend laptop/HDMI as the optimum solution to get it onto a TV screen though.

Are you overseas? Remember you need a VPN for tonight so that might be an issue on Firestick.

If overseas, I’ve used Silk browser on Fire TV Stick. It works fine, so long as you have a strong Wi-fi signal to the Fire TV Stick. I’d always recommend laptop/HDMI as the optimum solution to get it into a TV screen though.
I will be "overseas" might give it a try and switch back if any issues

Dont know about anyone else but my last two emails have been:
Malmo v Rangers live on RTV excluding UK/Scandinavia
Rangers - Buy NordVPN

:D

Anyone trying to purchase you need your VPN on and do NOT login.

As per OP here.

As per OP here.

Saw you post to late there mate, purchased when logged in. Does it make a difference?

As per OP here.

Has the coverage started yet on RTV, even just the placeholder?

Edit - Never mind, it's started now. :))

Last edited:
Any idea what time tonight’s game goes live on rtv unlimited?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back