The great Ralphie Brand

This is a period when we had Men who Played for that BLUE SHIRT, and played through Injury for the Team. Not like the modern Footballer who breaks a finger nail, and is out for two weeks, only one close to them is Big Marv, like them would play through a Brick Wall.

The great thing about teams in those days was they stayed together - very little movement in and out of the club - so players went to one another's weddings and christenings of kids and stayed friends for life.

Very moving thing to see amongst them in their later years at functions.

The great thing about teams in those days was they stayed together - very little movement in and out of the club - so players went to one another's weddings and christenings of kids and stayed friends for life.

That is a fantastic point and something I had never really taken into account before!

When I was a kid in the early 1960s my father had taken me to a match at Ibrox v. Clyde (lifted over the turnstyle, in those days.) Rangers hammered Clyde and on entering Queen Street Station on our way home, my father walked up to this lone figure, saying, "Good win today, eh, Ralph?" It was Ralph Brand, presumably waiting to get his train back to Edinburgh. I couldn't believe it! They chatted for a minute or so, but even at that young age I got the impression Ralph was keen to get the conversation over and done with. A vague memory from the past. He was one of my favourites, though the great team of that era were ALL heroes to me...

We could rattle off the same starting line-up just about every week.
No aches,strains or hangnails back then.My favorite days as a Rangers fan.Ralphie was excellent,they all were.;)

Apparently some of our moaning fans said he was just a poacher. Over 300 games, over 200 goals, all those honours. Some f*cking poacher!

Back