The Greatest Of All Time

That’s not the point. There will always be injuries and foul play. People will
obviously try to get at Messi and he deals with it well. It’s nothing like the brutality Maradona faced though.

The fact is if you can go through the back of forwards with impunity it is an easier game for defenders and more difficult for forwards.

Mate your wasting your time. He's obviously about 18 years old.

Think Puskas and DiStephano of Real Madrid fame would be up there with any of the above. I was lucky enough to be at hampden on that glorious day when these two destroyed Eintracht Frankfurt in the epic 7-3 game. Best game of football ever and I've seen quite a few.

The top players are always fundamental to their teams victories. He won nothing single handed though, not even close to it. Some good players is doing a massive disservice to his team mates too.

Nobody wins anything single-handed in football and I didn’t say Maradona did.

Messi has played in an era where there is a far greater concentration of talent at top clubs . He has undoubtedly played with the best midfielders of the era at Barca.

Maradona played with good players but he never had the supporting cast Messi has had at Barca.

That’s not the point. There will always be injuries and foul play. People will
obviously try to get at Messi and he deals with it well. It’s nothing like the brutality Maradona faced though.

The fact is if you can go through the back of forwards with impunity it is an easier game for defenders and more difficult for forwards.

Yeah but there’s a huge trade off in that defenders now are faster, stronger and more agile. By the way, I’ve seen a lot of footage of Maradona and the treatment he got isn’t half blown out of proportion. Nostalgia is, as it always does with retired players, playing a significant part in the way his career is romanticised.

The games also more tactical and players have to be in top shape. A headcase junkie like Diego wouldn’t top the pile in the modern game, especially with the increased money and media attention.

The advancement in fitness etc makes the latest players technically superior, but they have little influence on the iconic status or the development of the game.

In 20 years time Messi and Ronaldo (x2) may be almost forgotten among the stream of new and better talent.

Alan Morton "The wee blue devil" was described by many of his contemporaries (and my own grandpa) as "the best player in the world". When I see his giant portrait hanging pride of place in the best stadium in the world I can hardly disagree.

For all the ability of later footballers we cannot forget the pioneers that made the working man's game the beautiful game and the art form we all love.

Messi has played in an era where there is a far greater concentration of talent at top clubs . He has undoubtedly played with the best midfielders of the era at Barca.

Maradona played with good players but he never had the supporting cast Messi has had at Barca.

That’s true and obviously why he’s won far more. But I’m not taking about Messi, I’m taking about the false implication that Maradona toed groups of half decent cloggers to success. It’s simply not true.

Folk do get worked up on a fun thread don’t they? I only get worked up about Rangers stuff! I am right about Maradona though

You’re saying that to an old guy whose just thrown a tantrum because of my involvement in the thread!

Ironically he’s displaying more fanboy traits that any other participant in this thread.

Messi is a phenomenon who can help his team control a game and be decisive which is a rare combo. That said, he’s played, almost without exception, ahead of the best midfields in the world at Barcelona.

Put him in a team with a different quality of player and you get different results- Argentina with Messi in the team lost 3 1 to Venezuela a couple of weeks back.

In a ‘normal’ team it’s Maradoma every time for me.

I remember when they said Messi was only good because of Xavi and Iniesta. Xavi left and Messi continued. Iniesta became less important in the team then he left. Messi continued. The other one was Messi relies on Dani Alves, he leaves, Messi continues. Same for Neymar as well.

You're also picking one game to highlight Messi with Argentina. A 3-1 game that meant nothing really.

You should look up the stats of Argentina with and without Messi. Frightening. The only reason they reached the World Cup is because he dragged them there. The main reason they've reached 4 finals is because he dragged them there.

It's a pity in 2010 he had to deal with Maradona as a manager. Screwball.

The advancement in fitness etc makes the latest players technically superior, but they have little influence on the iconic status or the development of the game.

In 20 years time Messi and Ronaldo (x2) may be almost forgotten among the stream of new and better talent.

Alan Morton "The wee blue devil" was described by many of his contemporaries (and my own grandpa) as "the best player in the world". When I see his giant portrait hanging pride of place in the best stadium in the world I can hardly disagree.

For all the ability of later footballers we cannot forget the pioneers that made the working man's game the beautiful game and the art form we all love.

I can't see it - Messi & Ronaldo have just taken all the records and completely obliterated them.

BTW watch that footage. Look at the absolute state of the standard...it's like watching a pub team. That was the pinnacle of football 60 years ago but the level of ability is dreadful.

Yeah but there’s a huge trade off in that defenders now are faster, stronger and more agile. By the way, I’ve seen a lot of footage of Maradona and the treatment he got isn’t half blown out of proportion. Nostalgia is, as it always does with retired players, playing a significant part in the way his career is romanticised.

The games also more tactical and players have to be in top shape. A headcase junkie like Diego wouldn’t top the pile in the modern game, especially with the increased money and media attention.
I just think you’re plain wrong on the treatment mate.

That’s fair on defenders but fitness and shape will always improve. If that is the be all and end all, the greatest player of the current era is by definition the greatest player of all time and some kid will be on here in 20 years telling you you’re an old romantic for saying Messi is the best ever.

I just think you’re plain wrong on the treatment mate.

That’s fair on defenders but fitness and shape will always improve. If that is the be all and end all, the greatest player of the current era is by definition the greatest player of all time and some kid will be on here in 20 years telling you you’re an old romantic for saying Messi is the best ever.

Yeah but I mean that’s why it’s impossible to compare players across generations isn’t it. I wouldn’t argue with anyone who holds the view Maradona is the greatest, I really wouldn’t, he was obviously a special talent. But if they say things like “brutalised, Messi couldn’t take some bad tackles”, or “won the World Cup and scudetto single handedly”, then I’ll contest that because those arguments are bollocks.

You’re saying that to an old guy whose just thrown a tantrum because of my involvement in the thread!

Ironically he’s displaying more fanboy traits that any other participant in this thread.
Whatever mate. It’s a parlour game not worth anybody’s anger though. I only know drgriffen on here and as the authority ( along with Brooklyn Blue) on Argieball I say we all defer to them on the Messi Maradona debate.

Last edited:
For the younger generation Messi seems indisputable but I still say Maradona, having seen both.

Would be interested to know how many older fans think Messi above Maradona.
Would love to have seen Maradona play. Didn't he play at Hampden and apparently do something with the ball at the line up before the game started that told everyone they were about to witness someone a bit special? I've heard a story along those lines.

I remember when they said Messi was only good because of Xavi and Iniesta. Xavi left and Messi continued. Iniesta became less important in the team then he left. Messi continued. The other one was Messi relies on Dani Alves, he leaves, Messi continues. Same for Neymar as well.

You're also picking one game to highlight Messi with Argentina. A 3-1 game that meant nothing really.

You should look up the stats of Argentina with and without Messi. Frightening. The only reason they reached the World Cup is because he dragged them there. The main reason they've reached 4 finals is because he dragged them there.

It's a pity in 2010 he had to deal with Maradona as a manager. Screwball.

I can't see it - Messi & Ronaldo have just taken all the records and completely obliterated them.

BTW watch that footage. Look at the absolute state of the standard...it's like watching a pub team. That was the pinnacle of football 60 years ago but the level of ability is dreadful.

People have lined up these obstacles for him since he was about 19! It was can’t score against English sides, then it was cant score for Argentina, then it was cant do it without Xavi, then Iniesta, then Alves and so on. He’s obliterated all of them.

Folk using Argentina as a reason to berate him, he’s led them to 4 finals, he is their top scorer, and in his time playing for Argentina they’ve predomently been a jumbled disorganised mess of individuals led by bang average coaches, or in some cases, loonies like Maradona. Of course the key one to look at is how Argentina fair without him, well the results suggest that they’re hopeless and absolutely dependant on him in a manner no team should depend on one player.

Yeah but I mean that’s why it’s impossible to compare players across generations isn’t it. I wouldn’t argue with anyone who holds the view Maradona is the greatest, I really wouldn’t, he was obviously a special talent. But if they say things like “brutalised, Messi couldn’t take some bad tackles”, or “won the World Cup and scudetto single handedly”, then I’ll contest that because those arguments are bollocks.

Yeah, you’re first sentence hits the nail on the head mate. I think sometimes we all use exaggerated language straining to make our point. It ends up more black and white than it should be.

The real point should be it’s a privilege to watch them both.

Yeah, you’re first sentence hits the nail on the head mate. I think sometimes we all use exaggerated language straining to make our point. It ends up more black and white than it should be.

The real point should be it’s a privilege to watch them both.

Absolutely. I’m not saying Maradona’s not the best or anything like that, I’m just picking apart a couple of the arguments that people regularly use to make his case, because they’re untrue.

But yeah there’s just so many variables in football and so much has changed, you can’t really compare across generations at all, to even speculate what might have happened is tricky too.

I

I agree but don't you see that in 30 years time Messi and Ronaldo will also look pedestrian - great in their time but pish compared to what our grandchildren will have? It's the same in every sport. If we're still around we'll also be telling them we used to be quite good - to be honest I was a pish left back in the mid-70's but it's amazing how great I have become over the years!

Old guy??

Seriously you need help. Your about as funny as a burning orphanage and bright as a blackout. Give up.

Football evolves, Pele was the outstanding player of his generation, Maradona his, Messi and Ronaldo are masters of this period. They all bring or brought outstanding ability to the table and those who witness or witnessed the skills provided, the fans, are the winners.

In 1978 Bjorn Borg was king of Tennis. He'd have destroyed Fred Perry in a tennis match at both of their best. However if I went to see the Jam at the Apollo in 78 in a Bjorn Borg T-Shirt, I'd probably have had my head kicked in.

Old guy??

Seriously you need help. Your about as funny as a burning orphanage and bright as a blackout. Give up.

If you remember Maradonna’s prime you’re no spring chicken are you.

Oh I’m not trying to be funny, I’m deadly serious. You can’t come on here implying a player who is physically superior to Maradona, couldn’t cope with some rough tackles, and then try and poke fun at someone else’s intelligence. It’s embarrassing.

A wee bit sad that a grown man is holding a grudge from about 13 years ago but each to their own.

We slate teams for parking the bus against us in the league.
You slate teams I don't,!play to your strengths,bet you didn't complain when we reached the Europa cup final!it's not a grudge it's that little twats attitude fine when he's winning(99%))of the time and if it is a grudge then IM old and wise enough to know im right you stick to your opinion,which I respect,and don't give me any lectures on my opinion!

For the younger generation Messi seems indisputable but I still say Maradona, having seen both.

Would be interested to know how many older fans think Messi above Maradona.
Not me.
Maradona remains the best player I've seen in my 56 years on this earth.
However, for consistency and longevity it's hard to see past Messi.

Does that mean he won it 'singlehandedly'? No.

None, because it's bollocks.

Please have a read:
http://www.averageopposition.com/2012/03/the-myth-of-maradona.html
Oh well, seeing as some random bloke has written an article on the internet, we must all be wrong.

Would Argentina wave won the 86 WC without Maradona? A resounding NO. Would Napoli have ever won anything let alone a Serie A without him? NO.

For a single player to have that much influence let alone the sheer skill of him makes him the greatest ever for me and I can even stand the wee khont.

Tin hat on here but I think much of the Maradona love-in is just dreary-eyed nostalgia of folk looking back at an era of football that they enjoyed much more. There is absolutely no doubting that the guy was an exceptional talent. His career achievements however consist of 1 World Cup and 2 Serie A wins with a very good Napoli side, all won within a period of 4 years.

Messi has been tearing it up at the very top level for 13 years and counting. He’s been running riot against the best teams in the world in the biggest club tournament in the world for the last 13 years. He’s been the linchpin in arguably the greatest club side ever. He has a level of consistency, a goal scoring record and a trophy haul that Maradona could only dream of. In terms of records held, there isn’t even a comparison to be made.

I can’t stand Barcelona and I’m by no means a Messi fanboy, but for me there is no doubt that Messi is the greatest player to ever play football. To put Maradona ahead of him purely because of 5 goals he scored at a world cup tournament held over a 4 week period is just madness.
Agree with this 100%. It's Messi for me.

Would love to have seen Maradona play. Didn't he play at Hampden and apparently do something with the ball at the line up before the game started that told everyone they were about to witness someone a bit special? I've heard a story along those lines.
I think it might have been his debut. My granda was there.

The folk denying Messi are kind of like the sad acts in the lounge declaring they have never watched GoT as if its a badge of honour.

Need to be different from the clearly obvious normal opinion everybody else has.

I took you to the cleaners on this debate a while back, want me to do it again?

Messi has his face burst open last week, yet you feel he couldn’t cope with evading the clumbersome, slower, less athletic oafs that Diego did? It makes no sense at all.

The AC Milan backline Maradona faced were in all probability the finest back four ever to play the game. Oafs you say?

The folk denying Messi are kind of like the sad acts in the lounge declaring they have never watched GoT as if its a badge of honour.

Need to be different from the clearly obvious normal opinion everybody else has.

Nobody is denying Messi anything.
It's an opinion that's all.

I'd rather listen to the opinions of people who've watched a player hundreds of times as opposed to someone who's watched a player a dozen times.

"Done nothing at the World Cup" - someone was just mentioning Cruyff is up there for getting to the final with Holland. Messi's been to 3 or 4 international finals. Had Higuian scored an easy chance in 2014 Messi would have a WC winners medal and there wouldn't even be a debate anymore.
2014 World Cup Messi led a woeful Argentina team to within 7 mins of a penalty shoot out to win the thing

oh and he won player of the tournament.

you call that nothing?
Looking back at last night's posts, it wasn't the World Cup I was talking about, it was the Workd Cup. (Dead giveaway - I was half pished.)

Fair points, lads.

It's always a good debate - Maradona or Messi - and I guess it always come down to opinion and preference. Truth be told, I actually prefer Cruyff to either of them.

You slate teams I don't,!play to your strengths,bet you didn't complain when we reached the Europa cup final!it's not a grudge it's that little twats attitude fine when he's winning(99%))of the time and if it is a grudge then IM old and wise enough to know im right you stick to your opinion,which I respect,and don't give me any lectures on my opinion!

It's just quite sad that a grown man still has a chip on his shoulder about a comment that was made over 10 years ago.

Back then we played to our strengths, parked the bus and got a result against Barcelona. If they want to criticise our style of play then fair enough. We play the likes of Kilmarnock & Aberdeen who park the bus and you can check the match threads on here, everyone gives them dogs abuse for their style of play.

Oh well, seeing as some random bloke has written an article on the internet, we must all be wrong.

Would Argentina wave won the 86 WC without Maradona? A resounding NO. Would Napoli have ever won anything let alone a Serie A without him? NO.

For a single player to have that much influence let alone the sheer skill of him makes him the greatest ever for me and I can even stand the wee khont.

Fair enough, would Barca have won so much without Messi? I doubt it.

Having only watched Youtube footage of Maradona he looked a special talent in the same mould as Messi.

For anyone who's old enough to remember - why didn't he have a great career? Winning the World Cup is one thing but he never exactly had an amazing club career...

Ive always said Maradona but Messi now gets my vote , i just dont think you can argue with the consistancy he’s shown throughout his career . Although i do think he’d have tested a lot more in Maradonas era due to the challenges that were allowed back then

not having a go but can you back up your choices with stats

post up the stats, once that is out the way, we can discuss skill, assists, international honours

keep it civil and factual and there is a discussion to be had

Are you wanting stats or opinions? If you're wanting stats, then you could presumably look up for yourself who is statistically the best player ever, and end all discussion. Which stats do you want? Goals? Assists? How are they weighted? 1 goal = 1.5/2 assists?

Fair enough, would Barca have won so much without Messi? I doubt it.

Having only watched Youtube footage of Maradona he looked a special talent in the same mould as Messi.

For anyone who's old enough to remember - why didn't he have a great career? Winning the World Cup is one thing but he never exactly had an amazing club career...
The thing is, Barcelona probably would have won the majority of things without him because he had/has world class team mates. Maradona played in a Napoli team without that level of quality. The 86 WC side was half decent but nowhere near the level of world champions. Messi has failed to deliver on the International scene on that level. For me that is the difference between the two.

Even so, Ronaldo is a better player than Messi. Everything you get with Messi:goals, assists etc you get with Ronaldo but Ronaldo's physical presence and aeriel threat gives him the edge.

Last edited:
The thing is, Barcelona probably woukd have won the majority of things without him because he had/has world class team mates. Maradona played in a Napoli team without that levwl of quality. The 86 WC side was half decent but nowhere near the level of world champions. Messi has failed to deliver on the International scene on that level. For me that is the difference between the two.

Even so, Ronaldo is a better player than Messi. Everything you get with Messi:goals, assists etc you get with Ronaldo but Ronaldo's physical presence and aeriel threat gives him the edge.

Was the Argentina team of 86 worse than the Argentina team of 2014 that got to the final? Genuine question btw as I don't know.

Your second paragraph is mental tbh. Messi is basically a deep lying midfielder who outscores Ronaldo, has more assists, creates more chances, has better vision, is a better dribbler and is probably the best passer in the world. All Ronaldo has in his favour is height/heading and a better record of scoring in the Champions League knockout stages.

I think people often forget that Messi is 3 years younger than Ronaldo as well. When they both retire Messi will be in a league of his own.

""going by cold hard stats, goals, assists, medals""

this line for me makes it Ronaldo. but going on pure ability and talent - Messi

*picture of God*

Not even as good as his brother But you know that and oh to see quality like that again at Ibrox

But he's won an international tournament which his brother hasn't done and that is a criteria that some use for suggesting that Messi can't be as good as Maradona.

I'm not buying this argument that Maradona played when football was more thuggish and that modern players have it easy now by comparison.

Maradona (and even more so Pele) weren't up against the sheer level of athleticism that modern day players have.

It was easier for someone with the sublime level of skill that Cruyff, Best, Maradona and Pele had to stand out back in the day. Yeah, football could be seen as more brutal at times, but there wasn't as much of the elite as their is now.

To excel to the levels that Messi and Ronaldo do in this day and age above any of their peers is almost beyond comprehension.

R9 did things in his prime I'd never seen before. Before him it was Maradona who was blazing a trail. It's impossible to compare players across generations.

The only real argument of note comes between Messi and Ronaldo since they're playing in the same era and played huge chunks of their career in the same league and against the same teams in the CL.

Even then, it's personal preference. I prefer watching Messi play as I like a traditional winger who beats a man with close control as opposed to someone who is just an utter machine like Ronaldo and uses more power in his game.

Messi / Ronaldo (Portuguese) / Ronaldo (Brazilian) / Maradona / Ronaldinho / Cruyff / Pele / Best / Michael Laudrup / Zidane / for a top 10 in that order if anyone wants an argument! ;)

It's just quite sad that a grown man still has a chip on his shoulder about a comment that was made over 10 years ago.

Back then we played to our strengths, parked the bus and got a result against Barcelona. If they want to criticise our style of play then fair enough. We play the likes of Kilmarnock & Aberdeen who park the bus and you can check the match threads on here, everyone gives them dogs abuse for their style of play.
Told you that's you and most folks on here,I've been following rangers since I was 8 through thick and thin through good and bad I'm now 67 if I've got a chip on my shoulder then you got a sack a tatties mate,end of post go and pull yourself off to mr messy

Does that note mean that Messi's success in the Champions League is even more remarkable when the very finest of the players are at all the top clubs competing in it? To win the CL now is far harder than it was to win the old EC.

Maradona only even won three leagues in his entire career and didn't get close to a European Cup in two attempts.

For all his glory in 1986, it was a one off in Elite top level competition for him. That can happen for a team as the likes of Greece or Denmark proved at the Euros. I'm not doing it down but more is made of it when you're talking across his entire career than Messi or Ronaldo winning top honours consistently over more than a decade.

Back