The Greatest Of All Time

blaudrup.jpg

:cool:
Aw naw no anoni on anaw noo. Couldnt resist. Ill get my coat. Maradonna for me.

Cruyff is the greatest all round player imho, Pele scores, Maradona couldn’t defend, Ronaldo and Messi are both the same, Cruyff could do a job in every outfield position, he’d probably be a decent keeper too :))

Cruyff is the greatest all round player imho, Pele scores, Maradona couldn’t defend, Ronaldo and Messi are both the same, Cruyff could do a job in every outfield position, he’d probably be a decent keeper too :))

Smoked like a chimney as well did he not?

Has Messi not scored more career goals than Ronaldo though?

I've no idea of assists but my guess would be he outstrips Ronaldo on that too.

Actually, hang on...someone will have done all this.

https://michelacosta.com/en/messi-vs-cristiano-assists/

Messi by a mile on assists too.

Messi also has more league titles to his name and more domestic cup wins in total too (despite Ronaldo playing in England where there are two domestic cups)

Pretty much the only honour Ronaldo has more than him (other than the Euros win) is the CL at 5 v 4 and that has a very likely chance of levelling this season.

You can add all that to Messi's talent and being younger!

I stand corrected haha

Best

To be able to play the way he could when assaults were legal and pitches were like ploughed fields defies belief.

Same could be said of Di Stefano.

He started his career as a winger, but developed into a fast, technical centre forward like Henry. Then when he moved to Millonarios he came under the tutelage of Pedernera where he became the player that would be pivotal to Real Madrid's success: someone who could pick the ball up from the defence to start the play, a creator of chances and someone who could score goals.

As an aside, within Argentina he is regarded at the same level as Maradona and Messi.

Lionel Messi

The demands of the modern game are so different from a different era. The pressure, the amount of games, the consistency with which he does it.

Lionel Messi is the best footballer ever. His time at the top of the game unmatched.

Honourable mention to Ronaldo, who runs him very close.

George Best for me only because my dad told me he was , only ever been to one Scotland game it was the very early 70's my dad took me to Hampden to see in his opinion the greatest footballer of all time in George Best. My dad passed away before Messi came on the scene but i know he would have loved him just as much with the " tin man" a close second

One thing I hate about these debates now days is the way they’re often reduced to people reading numbers off a webpage. It’s like the skill and entertainment part of the game has been eliminated to instead reduce players to a spreadsheet of numbers. But surely the ‘magic’ that players produce should be a huge part of these debates? Moments where you say “wow” or are left wondering how they just did that. Messi’s numbers are up there with the best, but his careers also loaded with ‘wow’ moments of magic.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

messi-pass1.gif

NW2vSlHq9tvDiU0TD3lZezZQ2En1sb7o5PX8BzyjSNZU9k967ToFdmfPUs-UVZNfIpQKiJgWbcTF8Y6_VTAJPjqgeRTf-sBFQ5IAlHm4EsFsMcG40s7Hh-SEOBPiW6Li2fokvq4ssR-Cm-Fru6y4enf98T2LtX45nqhut_cWHrAfSQchtfdlyoFsAtEM8tvkuL6XTheCIWjwj3FCpqPf=s0-d

giphy.gif

Obviously the crown jewel in the career, Messi vs Lego

tumblr_oh47byVwSd1tf8a5ao1_500.gif

GOAT doesn't work in football due to how much has changed over the years. Be it pitches, boots, advances in medicine and player welfare, the list goes on.

Im not suggesting him as the greatest but how good was Platini ? His scoring record for an attacking midfielder is exceptional .

Maradona is the most skillful player ever.

Pele is the greatest of all time with 3 world cups to his name.

Very difficult to separate Ronaldo and Messi - Ronaldo's champions league record is second to none. Messi is probably a better player though.

Agree with all of that.

The Messi CR7 stuff really gets old.

Wish it was old enough to remember that Pele and Maradona were better than both of them, though. LOL

I prefer my sporting football heroes to be innovators and like the odd snout or snort and still be brilliant, not pumped up on steroids and artificial hormones.

I give you Cruyff and Maradona. LOL :D

I think if Ronaldo hadn't got injured for 2-3 years he'd be right up there. In Brazil's WC winning squad of '94. Almost averaging a goal a game for PSV & Barca which, considering his age, is amazing. Some of the earlier videos of his career are frightening. His pace & skill blew people away.

I remember leading up to WC 2002 people were saying he was completely finished (still only around 25/26 I think) and we all know what happened in that tournament.

Whilst it's an incredible achievement, it doesn't make him the greatest player ever, it makes him the most successful in the CL. It's a team game remember.

CR7 has played in 6 CL finals. The reality is he’s played well in 2 of them, been alright in one of them, and been flat out honking in the other 3. I love how when guys like Bale and Ramos rescue him that somehow supports his status as a better player.

Kinda goes back to what I said about people simply looking at numbers but without any context.

I think if Ronaldo hadn't got injured for 2-3 years he'd be right up there. In Brazil's WC winning squad of '94. Almost averaging a goal a game for PSV & Barca which, considering his age, is amazing. Some of the earlier videos of his career are frightening. His pace & skill blew people away.

I remember leading up to WC 2002 people were saying he was completely finished (still only around 25/26 I think) and we all know what happened in that tournament.
100% loved watching him in his pomp he is second behind Messi in my favourite players to ever have watched.

100% loved watching him in his pomp he is second behind Messi in my favourite players to ever have watched.

Same with me mate. I was a wee bit too young to fully remember his whole career but I loved him growing up, Rivaldo as well.

QUOTE="Jjbscotty, post: 3517898, member: 6508"]You don’t really believe that.[/QUOTE]

Best forward
Best thinker
Best goalkeeper

For me, the two greatest players I have seen are Maradona and Messi. Pele was a wonderful player but I probably haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion. Cristiano Ronaldo is also a fantastic footballer but doesn't, for me, hit the heights of the two Argies.

I'll still go for Maradona.

My favourite footballer of all time (Rangers players excepted) is Johan Cruyff. If I could be reincarnated as a footballer, it would be Cruyff.

Back