The Greatest Rangers Goals that Never Were

ClockworkOrange

What are some examples of nearly great Rangers goals that didn't go in, either as a result of a refereeing decision (right or wrong) and near-misses? I don't just mean crappy offside calls or wrong decisions.

I'll start with one of each:

Morelos' offside goal against Moscow, starting at 3.13:

A good wide ball to Candeias, an incredible whipped ball across three Moscow players and a smart finish by Morelos. Wrongly ruled out for offside.

Katic's shot against Oxford:

Taking inspiration from big Amo, Katic tries his luck from miles back, cracking the bar.

There was one at Fir Park in the 80s when Davie Cooper was dribbling past a couple of defenders and he slipped and fell. He somehow still kept possession, got up, threaded a ball into the box, and McCoist scored.

It was chalked off, and I can't now remember why.

I'm sure this "goal" has been in a few of the Cooper tribute videos.

Think it was the 2011 league cup final (Weiss pass for Jelavic twice off the post in extra time) and Davis had an absolute screamer of a hit that went unbelievably close and would have deserved to win any match. Didn't matter of course, and the Jelavic goal was fantastic as well.

Another that didn't matter, before Ferguson's goal in 2002 cup final, he rifled one off the post that would've been just as iconic as the free kick.

5mins 40secs in. Not the "greatest" but would have been huge for us. Disallowed, we got a foul.

Last edited:
There was one at Fir Park in the 80s when Davie Cooper was dribbling past a couple of defenders and he slipped and fell. He somehow still kept possession, got up, threaded a ball into the box, and McCoist scored.

It was chalked off, and I can't now remember why.

I'm sure this "goal" has been in a few of the Cooper tribute videos.
2mins 15secs in. Did this get chalked off?

Terry Butcher in the 1989 cup final. A Bob Valentine decision that likely cost us a treble.

The referee allowed an Old Firm Cup Final as his final game ever. With no possible come back there was only one possible winner that day and it wasn't us. Their goal that should never have stood only outdone by the disallowed goal for their keeper colliding with one of their own players.

A 30 yarder by McCoist v sheep at Shittodrie. Incredible goal but disallowed because somebody was offside over at the touchline. Ridiculous.
Think it was Jan Bartram who was offside way out on the left wing and a stunning left foot shot from Ally about 30 yds out.

Posted in another thread this morning.

Big Amo hit a shot from easily 35/40 yards against the yahoos in the 3-2 win December 2002. Rattled the bar. Sure it was a lay off free kick, wouldve went down as one of the greatest old firm goals ever.

Posted in another thread this morning.

Big Amo hit a shot from easily 35/40 yards against the yahoos in the 3-2 win December 2002. Rattled the bar. Sure it was a lay off free kick, wouldve went down as one of the greatest old firm goals ever.

Came on to post this.

Can remember it so clearly.

Off topic but a funny story from the 89 final. Our supporters bus usually ran two buses to cup finals (1 double and 1 single decker) but on that occasion we also had a minibus which was absolutely packed and bouncing.
As we approached the lights just before the piggery it was pointed out that the street outside the Springfield Vaults was chock a block with bheggars in a make-shift kind of beer garden due to the scorching weather.
The noise level on the bus increased accordingly with the party tunes getting blasted out - the lights changed and we got stopped directly opposite the pub. The twisted demented faces as they hurled abuse at the bus were a sight to behold. Then someone at the back closest to the pub pushed other mhankies aside and a gap in the crowd opened as he staggered forward to launch his pint at the bus.
As he prepared to unleash his pint, clearly forgetting there was a railing road side, he fell full length over the railing landing flat on his face in the middle of the road. The lights changed and we headed off p1ssing ourselves laughing and convinced it was a sign of good things to come.
Sadly Bob Valentine ensured the day didn't pan out as it should have.

I’m starting to think I imagined the goal I’m talking about, As no one else seems to ever remember it.

Against Aberdeen last season ( 2.0 from memory ) we had an amazing goal by Tavernier where he started the move in his own half & it was just total football until he dinked home the finish. Into the Rangers End.

Goal was given offside, which TV suggested was a wrong decision.

To me it would’ve been goal of the season.

I want to mention a non-Rangers goal that I mentioned last week but nobody picked up on.
Duncan McKenzie was going through one-on-one with against the keeper.
He was about thirty out and he caught the ball between one foot and the heel of the other, lifted it over his shoulder and it went over the keeper into the goal. Sadly, he was flagged offside.

Mols away to Panathinaikos, would have been one of the best goals I've seen
I think about this goal quite often but I've never managed to hunt down a replay of it. I always wonder if its just my mind playing tricks on me as I was pretty drunk watching it.

The goal at the piggery in the 6-2 game right on half time.
From 3-0 down, we should have gone in 3-2 with the momentum on our side.

Just another one of those 'mistakes'.
That always rankles me in that game. It's made out to be a humping. Yes, 6-2 is a bit of a doing in the end up, however Sutton's first goal is clearly offside.

Even allowing for that, had Wallace's goal stood as it should have, then I still reckon we would have taken something from the game.

Trevor Stevens against the mhankies at Ibrox, never offside.
Did Big McPherson not dribble around loads and then chip keeper only for it to go past or stick in the mud as he was away celebrating? Or has the Red Wine taken over my brain :)

What are some examples of nearly great Rangers goals that didn't go in, either as a result of a refereeing decision (right or wrong) and near-misses? I don't just mean crappy offside calls or wrong decisions.

I'll start with one of each:

Morelos' offside goal against Moscow, starting at 3.13:

A good wide ball to Candeias, an incredible whipped ball across three Moscow players and a smart finish by Morelos. Wrongly ruled out for offside.

Katic's shot against Oxford:

Taking inspiration from big Amo, Katic tries his luck from miles back, cracking the bar.
One at pittodrie. Sure Ally hit it from about 40 yards and the prick of a linesman gave Durrant offside. 87 maybe but don’t remember if it was televised

Can remember this as well, might even have been earlier, 2008 or 2009? Think it was because Boruc supposedly got fouled as the corner was coming in.

Yeah in fact sorry you might be right, possibly the game McDonald scored late on and we lost 1-0. It would’ve been Dec 2008 then.

Back