The 'H' word

Even worse is ‘Rangers fans’ who refer to themselves as it

I'd argue that the only way for the word to lose its potency/offensiveness is to use it repeatedly amongst ourselves, almost as a badge of honour.

Celtic fans call themselves "19th Century Terrorists" to the extent that the word has lost some of its meaning. I generally think they're better at "owning" their insults than we are.

It's the same reason that singing "sheep-shagging bastards" to Aberdeen fans, who then join in, doesn't make any sense.

I've less understanding about why someone would get so angry over the use of hun.

This all goes back years.

There was faux outrage over '19th Century Terrorist' because it was vital that this word was deemed by police, prosecutors and the courts to be sectarian in nature. Most importantly, it criminalised 'The Billy Boys' under the 'aggravated by religious prejudice' clause introduced by McConnell. In turn that gave UEFA the green light to punish Rangers.

Most people of my age group never used '19th Century Terrorist' in the sense that it was synonymous with 'Roman Catholic'. It alluded to support for violent Irish Republicanism.

But there was no leeway - this word meant exactly what Tom Devine and others wanted it to mean.

The 'h word' was a general term of abuse in British slang. However, perhaps due the lack of other insults used by Celtic fans it became their go-to term of abuse for Rangers supporters. Due to the influence of Celtic fanzines supporters of smaller clubs began using it to refer to Rangers fans blissfully unaware that it applied to them as well. The word was and is certainly used in a sectarian context ('hun school', 'mini huns', etc.).

In Northern Ireland there is no leeway - it is viewed as sectarian.

The authorities would prefer that 'hun' never became an issue. They're perfectly happy to prosecute working-class Rangers fans who won't put up a legal fight over '19th Century Terrorist'.

We often get this stuff on FF about using 'hun' as part of some childish point-scoring exercise.

It would be immensely damaging to attempts to pressurise the authorities to take action against it.

It's completely mindless.

And any Rangers supporters calling themselves this must be as thick as two short planks.

Been wanting us to educate the mentally challengeds on this point for years. All for it.
Banners, songs, it was some of their clan that sided with the Hun during WW2

Never understood Rangers fans that refer to themselves as H***. Don’t mind the term bluenose.

As for them? Always referred to them as
“The Scum.”

Any Rangers related post on Twitter is bombarded with them calling us huns. You'll rarely see anyone calling them 19th Century Terrorists though.

Haha bollocks mate. I call them 19th Century Terrorists all the time on Twitter :))

When the so-called 'Famine Song' emerged, Lawwell immediately pressurised the authorities to take action. Reporting Scotland duly devoted a fair amount of effort to shocking viewers with a 'bouncing ball' explanation of the words.

Singing this chant very quickly became an arrestable offence.

The moral of the story is that if you want to achieve anything you have to do it at a political level and use the media to help your case.

This is what Unionists in Northern Ireland eventually realised.

You certainly don't score own goals like calling yourself a term of abuse.

Even worse is ‘Rangers fans’ who refer to themselves as it

A line trotted out periodically by the scum’s useful idiots in the media to try and justify or excuse the blatant sectarianism being belted out by their support.

My first Rangers game was in the mid 80s. I’ve had a season ticket since the late 80s. The vast vast majority of my friends are Gers supporters. I’ve NEVER heard a Gers fan refer to themselves as h*n.

When I was growing up back in the 60s and 70s we used to call the Tim's 'Huns'.In fact in games at Ibrox and Hampden when it was raining we would all chant The Huns are getting wet amongst other things.
For some reason they have appropriated the term and turned it round on us.Now as the media and authorities has deemed this term to be neither sectarian or racist I think it is time we took it back.
Imagine the next game at Ibrox we hit them with Go home ya Huns go home while we are all pointing the finger at them.Their wee heeds would explode and they would have nowhere to go with the racist sectarian card.
I can remember thinking in my scheme that “up the ra” on walls where I lived meant the opposite of what it did.
I grew up in an estate where most of my pals were tims and when they used to dodge chapel on a Sunday in their best clobber to hang about with me I honestly thought they were dodging “maths” not mass:))
When the dirty beast used to walk about, I used to ask him if I could call him father and when he said “NO” as a kid I was gutted. Lucky escape...

I’m sure if we started singing go home ya huns full pelt at the next game against them, there would be such an outcry that the word would be banned immediately and we’d be on the wrong end of a fine............possibly
We should .... Only telling truth

Plenty do. Usually on Rangers Facebook pages
The same Facebook pages which has 5/6 Indy Republican rangers fans .....who craves to see Scotland at a world cup finals and loves to see them do well and supports them and Cataloniah, The same Facebook pages where the same posters don't want politics or football brought into the debate because if they get found out they get reminded they bought the wrong top when shopping and match day ticket as they be better off in the piggery

Facebook has them all lol....don't listen to Facebook .

This all goes back years.

There was faux outrage over '19th Century Terrorist' because it was vital that this word was deemed by police, prosecutors and the courts to be sectarian in nature. Most importantly, it criminalised 'The Billy Boys' under the 'aggravated by religious prejudice' clause introduced by McConnell. In turn that gave UEFA the green light to punish Rangers.

Most people of my age group never used '19th Century Terrorist' in the sense that it was synonymous with 'Roman Catholic'. It alluded to support for violent Irish Republicanism.

But there was no leeway - this word meant exactly what Tom Devine and others wanted it to mean.

The 'h word' was a general term of abuse in British slang. However, perhaps due the lack of other insults used by Celtic fans it became their go-to term of abuse for Rangers supporters. Due to the influence of Celtic fanzines supporters of smaller clubs began using it to refer to Rangers fans blissfully unaware that it applied to them as well. The word was and is certainly used in a sectarian context ('hun school', 'mini huns', etc.).

In Northern Ireland there is no leeway - it is viewed as sectarian.

The authorities would prefer that 'hun' never became an issue. They're perfectly happy to prosecute working-class Rangers fans who won't put up a legal fight over '19th Century Terrorist'.

We often get this stuff on FF about using 'hun' as part of some childish point-scoring exercise.

It would be immensely damaging to attempts to pressurise the authorities to take action against it.

It's completely mindless.

And any Rangers supporters calling themselves this must be as thick as two short planks.
I thought 19th Century Terrorist was a word they called themselves same as tim malloys similar to to black people calling themselves the “N” word in every (good) rap tune

The same Facebook pages which has 5/6 Indy Republican Rangers fans .....who craves to see Scotland at a world cup finals and loves to see them do well and supports them and Cataloniah, The same Facebook pages where the same posters don't want politics or football brought into the debate because if they get found out they get reminded they bought the wrong top when shopping and match day ticket as they be better off in the piggery

Facebook has them all lol....don't listen to Facebook .
Yeah Facebook full of bangers mate :D

I thought 19th Century Terrorist was a word they called themselves same as tim malloys similar to to black people calling themselves the “N” word in every (good) rap tune

The problem with the ‘N word’ analogy is that a white person using the same word will get into a whole lot of trouble.

I hate being referred to as a Hun and what I hate more so is the fact that people (Celtc fans) deem it to be ok and not an insult because they say so and it’s their rules.
It’s a derogatory and sectarian term for Protestants and Rangers fans no matter how they try to dress it up. If I were to refer to Celtc fans as 19th Century Terrorists, mentally challenged or poets on social media there would be outrage but surely it’s perfectly acceptable because I say so, right?

It’s too confusing for many within our support. Some numpties refer to themselves as Huns. Depressing.
It is ridiculous that an element of our support still roll over on this one.
The multiple examples of “Kill All Huns” graffiti all over Glasgow should help even the simplest of folk understand that this is far from some kind of football banter.

The worst of it is... the term has caught on during the last 20-25yrs... in a period where using discriminatory language based on race, colour, religion etc has been largely stamped out.

The problem with the ‘N word’ analogy is that a white person using the same word will get into a whole lot of trouble.
Ano it’s pathetic, how many black people have been annihilated for using it? It’s a word ffs. We are called honkey cracker huns, who gives a f&?k?

We should be nice to each other but when we’re not one derogatory term shouldn’t be deemed more offensive than the other. People nowadays go out their way to be offended. I’m an orange hun bastard who happens to be anti peadophillia unlike many followers of the catholic cult.

This is a big problem.

We need to educate these dafties.
I'm not normally a proponent of violence or of discrimination, but a smack in the teeth, or a swift boot in the nuts should be enough for both to get the picture.
It is intended to be derogatory, is a form of humiliation and racist, and is NOT acceptable, it must be stopped.
Woe betide anyone who tries to call me or any of my family by that word. I take exception to it, and I will exact revenge on them sooner or later, they will be encouraged to stop.

They are perfectly content with the H word but using terms such as 'Croppies' and 'Tattie howkers' gets them on the phone to the Irish Embassy in jig time.

What about keeping things simple and to lose the ambiguity caused by the history of the "H" term.

What about, "Go home ya paedos"?

It would be clear, unambiguous and totally devoid of any opportunity of transference of the term to any other team. We could also add the Big Jock Knew phrase after reading Gordon Woods, tweet today.

Of course, there could be a wee opportunity to claim that BJK was really about Jock Wallace.

The authorities have set a precedent and categorised it as sectarian so I don’t know where you’re getting your info from.

Even biased government think tanks like NilByMouth class it as sectarian.

The word is so prevalent amongst a lot of people in Scotland which further highlights the fact we live in a society who think it’s ok to be sectarian as long as it’s against Rangers/protestants.

It’s simple!

They’re the ”Huns” let them know!

Don’t let them dictate the agenda.

And when we sing ‘Go home ya’ huns, we obviously only mean their hoose.

Last edited:
Just call them Paedos, theres not one word that makes them crumble more... they cant deal with it and they cant answer questions.

Hun was word used by Brits to describe Germans, during the war... so ironic that the mentally challengeds use it to describe us, given that those scumbags fuelled German U-boats during the war!

If anyone is 'a Hun' it's them!

Last edited:
If you want to watch the cogs working in their demented wee minds, if you ever hear them claim that h*n isn't a sectarian slur and just means Rangers fan, ask them why they call fans of the "new Rangers" h*ns. Why would they use the same term to refer to fans of a different club?

Reactions: VGM
Been wanting us to educate the mentally challengeds on this point for years. All for it.
Banners, songs, it was some of their clan that sided with the Hun during WW2
In WW1, the Glasgow-based Irish immigrants who did not volunteer for the conflict with the Germans were known as the “ stay-at-home huns”.

There’s a theory that lads who had fought returned to Glasgow after the war to find the stay-at-homes had nipped in during their absence to appropriate their jobs and wives, and that the resulting resentment was the start of the religious divide in the city.

The word hun was deemed sectarian in 2008 in Scotland, type in T Shirt Sectarian 2008 in google and it the article appears. The Sheriff was Ian Peebles

In 2016 when another redtop published that the word was not offensive or sectarian, Ipso upheld a complaint https://www.ipso.co.uk/rulings-and-resolution-statements/ruling/?id=02093-16. In particular paragraph 5 tells you all you need to know.

It states 5.

The complainant also said that it was inaccurate to report that the word “hun” was not classified as offensive under Scottish law, and that the reporting of such a falsehood encouraged religious discrimination in breach of Clause 12. He provided an article reporting a conviction in 2008 of a man wearing a t-shirt with the words “dirty horrible huns” as evidence that the use of the word was a criminal offence in Scotland.

The word H*n* in scotland is sectarian and offensive and used against Rangers fans from supporters of almost every club.

We should be nice to each other but when we’re not one derogatory term shouldn’t be deemed more offensive than the other. People nowadays go out their way to be offended. I’m an orange hun bastard who happens to be anti peadophillia unlike many followers of the catholic cult.
Well done, what a post. Are you sure you are a Rangers fan when you refer to yourself as an Orange Hun bastard? People like you are part of the problem when it comes to referring to themselves or other Rangers fans (if that’s what you claim to be) as Huns, it normalises it for scumbag Celtc fans who think it’s appropriate yet burst into tears if they are called a sectarian name- by the way Hun is legally deemed sectarian in this country.
As for your comment about the “N” bomb just being a word- tells me all I need to know about you.

Its not something that bothers me if I'm honest.

I call them poets, mentally challengeds, bead rattlers etc... The word "Hun" is water off a ducks back in comparison IMO.

Well done, what a post. Are you sure you are a Rangers fan when you refer to yourself as an Orange Hun bastard? People like you are part of the problem when it comes to referring to themselves or other Rangers fans (if that’s what you claim to be) as Huns, it normalises it for scumbag Celtc fans who think it’s appropriate yet burst into tears if they are called a sectarian name- by the way Hun is legally deemed sectarian in this country.
As for your comment about the “N” bomb just being a word- tells me all I need to know about you.
Away and dry your eyes ya wee hunk
N “bomb” ? Are you old enough to be on here?

I hate being referred to as a Hun and what I hate more so is the fact that people (Celtc fans) deem it to be ok and not an insult because they say so and it’s their rules.
It’s a derogatory and sectarian term for Protestants and Rangers fans no matter how they try to dress it up. If I were to refer to Celtc fans as 19th Century Terrorists, mentally challenged or poets on social media there would be outrage but surely it’s perfectly acceptable because I say so, right?

Protestants are the only people in Scotland who don’t get to decide what offends them.

The word hun was deemed sectarian in 2008 in Scotland, type in T Shirt Sectarian 2008 in google and it the article appears. The Sheriff was Ian Peebles

In 2016 when another redtop published that the word was not offensive or sectarian, Ipso upheld a complaint https://www.ipso.co.uk/rulings-and-resolution-statements/ruling/?id=02093-16. In particular paragraph 5 tells you all you need to know.

It states 5.

The complainant also said that it was inaccurate to report that the word “hun” was not classified as offensive under Scottish law, and that the reporting of such a falsehood encouraged religious discrimination in breach of Clause 12. He provided an article reporting a conviction in 2008 of a man wearing a t-shirt with the words “dirty horrible huns” as evidence that the use of the word was a criminal offence in Scotland.

The word H*n* in scotland is sectarian and offensive and used against Rangers fans from supporters of almost every club.

This is the important point. No one in Scottish Football will want to open that can of worms

Latest posts

Back