The handball rule and VAR

Officials need to man up and enforce the 'clear and obvious error' law. That handball in the Man City game was far from a clear and obvious error by the ref.

Also how can any rule be taken seriously when the SAME handball incident is only a foul if you're attacking and not defending. Ludicrous.

Try and see the 'goal' denied RB Leipzig yesterday...brushed soooo lightly off a hand, invisible in real time, and the hand was not raised or an 'unusual shape' yet VAR rule out the goal.

It has been a disaster and isn't even needed.

Officials need to man up and enforce the 'clear and obvious error' law. That handball in the Man City game was far from a clear and obvious error by the ref.
They are 2 different things.

If handball is detected by the attacking team whether deliberate or not, the goal won’t count, “clear and obvious” doesn’t come into it

The hand ball rule is pish, they have adapted it for VAR, and because they don’t, and never think things through, it’s a disaster.
VAR can be useful if used properly, but the way they have tried to change rules to suit VAR is morally and practically flawed.
I thought the EPL said they were not implementing the hand ball rule after the Women’s World Cup?
It will either be refined to an acceptable standard or kicked out in 18 months, depending on how much money is to be made or lost!

They are 2 different things.

If handball is detected by the attacking team whether deliberate or not, the goal won’t count, “clear and obvious” doesn’t come into it

Aren't decisions supposed to only be reversed if it's clear and obvious and been missed by the ref though? In real time there was absolutely no dubiety about the goal, no appeals from the Spurs players or anything.

They were talking about it on the Sunday supplement yesterday

VAR is designed for the armchair fan, the paying customer who actually goes to games is kept in the dark and has no real clue what is going on and it's even worse in places like old Trafford which don't have big screens

Never mind the hand ball Aquero (using VAR) was offside for the second goal,i'm surprised nobody called for it to ne replayed.

Also how can any rule be taken seriously when the SAME handball incident is only a foul if you're attacking and not defending. Ludicrous.

Try and see the 'goal' denied RB Leipzig yesterday...brushed soooo lightly off a hand, invisible in real time, and the hand was not raised or an 'unusual shape' yet VAR rule out the goal.

Football has always been this way.
A brush against a keeper? Always a free kick.
A keeper flying through a crowd of players? Never a penalty.

Deliberate obstruction by a defender to win a goal kick? Nothing given, goal kick.
Deliberate obstruction by a forward to let the ball run out for a corner? Free kick for obstruction funnily enough.

I don't agree with the handball at one end of the pitch, but this isn't new.

It is a farce of a rule not sure about VAR either,alright for rugby where there is breaks in play but it ruins the flow of the game. Just seen the ref "expert" on sky trying to justify a ridiculous rule and failing miserably.

VAR missed a stonewall penalty to City.
The problem with it is that those manning the screen are actually highlighting whether the ref has a good or bad game. If they give too many var decisions, the ref could be demoted by his employers for not being up to the standard required.

VAR lives and dies with a) common sense and b) the quality of the guys sitting in front of the cameras.

The latter is the reason why in Scotland it has shambles written all over it before it even starts, given the results the CO and her three referees have come to these past few seasons - despite having various sources and camera angles and slow mos. For these same refs will be sitting behind the screens and cast their verdict ...

Since I only watch Rangers I've never watched a game involving these technologies and rules. Sounds like a total clusterfuck.

Problem being the new laws regarding handball mean that ANY contact, deliberate or otherwise, that results in a goal is then penalised.

VAR is ruining the game. The handball incident in the Man C game saw a perfectly good goal ruled out. The ball may have brushed a city attackers arm, but it wasn't deflected onto the eventual scorer, the arm had no influence on the direction of the ball whatsoever.

Flawed logic I’m afraid.

If a defender commits the same foul on an attacker in the box, that an attacker commits on a defender, the first results in a penalty, whereas the second would only be a free kick. The rules are clear.

Why do we only ever seem to hear a rumpus when it’s Man City and not other clubs. Despite being given every advantage going and breaking every rule in the book, they still bitch like Celtc when they don’t get their way.

Man City drew the game because they had thirty efforts and only scored two goals, the same as spurs, who had about three.

I didn’t hear Guardiola whingeing when Anthony Taylor failed to send off Vincent Kompany against Liverpool last season. No, the officials were fine then.

S
Flawed logic I’m afraid.

If a defender commits the same foul on an attacker in the box, that an attacker commits on a defender, the first results in a penalty, whereas the second would only be a free kick. The rules are clear.

Why do we only ever seem to hear a rumpus when it’s Man City and not other clubs. Despite being given every advantage going and breaking every rule in the book, they still bitch like Celtc when they don’t get their way.

Man City drew the game because they had thirty efforts and only scored two goals, the same as spurs, who had about three.

I didn’t hear Guardiola whingeing when Anthony Taylor failed to send off Vincent Kompany against Liverpool last season. No, the officials were fine then.

In the instance you quote both incidents are fouls. Under the new handball rule one handball is a foul the other is not. Your point is not illogical it makes no sense. Your point about Man City is drivel as there have been many VAR controversies since it was introduced.

S

In the instance you quote both incidents are fouls. Under the new handball rule one handball is a foul the other is not. Your point is not illogical it makes no sense. Your point about Man City is drivel as there have been many VAR controversies since it was introduced.
I haven’t noticed such a consistent media furore about any other incidents and all of a sudden there is a hullabaloo because it’s Man City and Guardiola bumps his gums about it.

I haven’t noticed such a consistent media furore about any other incidents and all of a sudden there is a hullabaloo because it’s Man City and Guardiola bumps his gums about it.

The PSG penalty against Man U. Springs to mind as a massive furore.

Your obsession with City is bad for your health.

Back