The High Performance Podcast "Steven Gerrard" (out Monday)

Got it on the now, going to go full Gerrard & watch his movie later also. He’s a good example of the exceptionally gifted having to work just as hard or the importance of mentality in sport.

Super interesting: thanks for the link. Not that it's at all surprising, but he's remarkably self-possessed and won't be pushed around - the presenter needled him a little by insisting he knew Gerrard's feelings on event better than he did - but he controlled him without getting overly aggressive. He's a complex fella, and an exceptional one.

Found that really interesting. He’s an extremely interesting individual and has both street smarts as well as a strategic outlook. That combined with his drive for perfection is quite a serious combo. Lot to be learnt from his take on life and football.

Not usually one for podcasts but gave that a listen and thoroughly enjoyed it. An insight into Gerrard, what drives him and what his ‘non-negotiables’ are when it comes to his players. Well worth a listen.

Last edited:
Halfway through it. Great insight into the man, acknowledging because he had a top career he is levels behind the likes of Mourinho and Rodgers who have had time to nurture their experience and become the managers they are today.

Also when asked if he is tempted to draw on experiences as a player and relay certain scenarios he went through to his players, says he only probably references the negatives and how he used them to better himself.

Looking forward to the rest of it.

A fascinating listen, I really enjoyed listening to this. Cheers to the OP for the heads up. SG is so assured and determined. A worthwhile listen for all bears.

Super interesting: thanks for the link. Not that it's at all surprising, but he's remarkably self-possessed and won't be pushed around - the presenter needled him a little by insisting he knew Gerrard's feelings on event better than he did - but he controlled him without getting overly aggressive. He's a complex fella, and an exceptional one.
I think the interviewer got the wrong end of the stick when Gerrard was talking about the effect of the chelsea game had on him, I don't think it bothered the gaffer as profoundly as the interviewer thinks, but he kept going on about it.

Where can you find the video version of this?.. doesn't seem to be on youtube.

Back