The Hits and Misses of Ross Wilson's time at Rangers

I don't know how many times it has to be said that the manager chooses the players we sign

Wilson provides lists of players per position and scaling on budgets available. He will do the admin of a transfer but he doesn't do anything the manager doesn't want

Any hits or misses are on Gio and Gerrard

Incidently where is the article asking about
Bernabei, Scales, Starfelt, Mccarthy, Ideguchi, Siegrist, abildgaard and let's not forget the re-signing of Griffiths. Thats 8 misses from the media darling

And if Beale proves to be a good manager he will have changed your mind.
No, that gives him a 50% rate.

Under the present circumstances, and the need to replace an entire first team in the next two transfer windows, Beale will need to be a miracle worker.

He has walked (willingly it has to be said) into a complete and total shambles.

No, that gives him a 50% rate.

Under the present circumstances, and the need to replace an entire first team in the next two transfer windows, Beale will need to be a miracle worker.

He has walked (willingly it has to be said) into a complete and total shambles.
He has walked into an injury crisis, a team with some key players low on confidence, and with players coming to the end of their time here. If the first two improve soon enough, then he may be able to improve things rather quickly.

Context: Not a Ross Wilson praise post.​

To be honest, it goes beyond 'was the signing a successful player for Rangers'... and should take into consideration both value and profit.

The question really is: Which of Ross Wilson's signings were good for the business?

My opinion:
Hits​
Misses​
50/50​
Too early to tell​
Hagi
Bassey
McLaughlin
Defo
Balogun
Lundstram
Bacuna*
Colak
Lawrence**​
Kamberi
Itten
Zungu
Simpson
Zukowski
Ramsey
Souttar​
Roofe**
Diallo***
Sands
Wright***
Sakala***​
Matondo
Tillman
Yilmaz
Davies
Oforboh​
* Shite player but made a profit?
** Only if they remain injury free (or injured at a normal rate)
*** Value for money signing. If high wages would be a miss, but could still move to Hit.

If Wilson is to be judged on first-team signings, should we also be judging him on academy players such as:

Charlie Lindsay
Tony Weston
Charlie McCann
Juan Alegria
Zak Lovelace

As well as considering transfers away from Rangers (transfers only, not contract expiry or loan returns):

Correct decisionCorrect decision, poor dealWrong decision
Grezda
Herrera
Holt
Polster
Docherty
McCrorie
Edmundson
Jones
Patterson
Bacuna
Itten
Hastie
Bassey
Middleton
Simpson
Katic​
Dire Mebude*
Dapo Mebude*
Barker**​
Aribo***​
* Should have got more money
** Was leaving on a free best?
*** Should have sold earlier to get a higher fee

Finally, contracts:

Good managementBad managementNeither good nor bad
Patterson*
Davis
McGregor
Tavernier
Balogun
Defoe
Kamara
McLaughlin
Lowry
Arfield​
Balogun**
Goldson***
Aribo****
Kent****
Morelos****​
Firth​
* Got us a good fee
** Should have stayed
*** Took far too long to sort
**** Should have sold them earlier, for bigger profit
So, you've mentioned players being injured, such as Lawrence, but you'd have kept Balogun?

I don't know how many times it has to be said that the manager chooses the players we sign

Wilson provides lists of players per position and scaling on budgets available. He will do the admin of a transfer but he doesn't do anything the manager doesn't want

Any hits or misses are on Gio and Gerrard

Incidently where is the article asking about
Bernabei, Scales, Starfelt, Mccarthy, Ideguchi, Siegrist, abildgaard and let's not forget the re-signing of Griffiths. Thats 8 misses from the media darling
Well it's about time he produces a better list then because up until now they have been atrocious.

He has walked into an injury crisis, a team with some key players low on confidence, and with players coming to the end of their time here. If the first two improve soon enough, then he may be able to improve things rather quickly.
On that I have my doubts as I truly believe this team and especially the core are finished, and on that we agree, although maybe not to the extent.

Obviously I hope your argument wins, I just don't see it.

I'm being upfront, I believe the league is gone. Therefore it is imperative we are in the draw for the CL stages next September. We simply cannot allow them the luxury of another two automatic CL entries and the monies that go with it, over us, without us clawing some of it back.

He simply has to win the title next season. No ifs or buts.

And if Beale proves to be a good manager he will have changed your mind.
Beale has a lot to prove he's very inexperienced in management and when he talks about this team only being broken that worries me as I get what he means to an extent but we really need serious investment in the squad that's not won enough.

Balogun, who was available for 80% of our games over the two seasons here was here, that Balogun?

Keeping Balogun, is a damn sight better than signing Souttar.
Think soutar has gone the way we thought it would but the amount of revisionism on here around Balogun is staggering.

Think soutar has gone the way we thought it would but the amount of revisionism on here around Balogun is staggering.

No revisionism. He's a good squad player who did well for us and would be a much better CB option than Sands.

21/22 Rangers played 65 games
20/21 Rangers played 56 games

Balogun missed 20 games through injury. Circa 20%.

Meanwhile, this season's CB availability:
Helander - 0%
Souttar - 3.7%
Davies - 67%
Goldson - 70%
King - 100% (but now injured)

id rather balogun was re-signed for another year then pay 4m for davies and souttar

wilsons signing policy is shocking, we were playing bassey at cb last year, fast athlete and could get the ball up the pitch

he signed davies who's like a beanpole and always injured

needed a replacement for aribo and signed a slow and lethargic tillman and a winger in matondo )

so much for a ready made replacement list for managers and every position in the team

giving him credit for unearthing bassey is just playing bonkers

id rather balogun was re-signed for another year then pay 4m for davies and souttar

wilsons signing policy is shocking, we were playing bassey at cb last year, fast athlete and could get the ball up the pitch

needed a replacement for aribo and signed a slow and lethargic tillman and a winger in matondo )

so much for a ready made replacement list for managers and every position in the team

Gio didn't want to keep Balogun though and tbh used him sparingly after the winter break. He wanted bring in his own guys.

Tillman may look slow/lethargic but he leads the team in pressing and ball recovery stats. Matondo I'll concede he's been poor thus far but he's evidently not a right winger.

Gio didn't want to keep Balogun though and tbh used him sparingly after the winter break. He wanted bring in his own guys.

Tillman may look slow/lethargic but he leads the team in pressing and ball recovery stats. Matondo I'll concede he's been poor thus far but he's evidently not a right winger.
tillman has shown flashes of what he can do
stats can be made out to be in any ones favour

Bassey was nothing to do with Ross Wilson. Agree.

Tillman recorded the fastest speed of any of our players in the CL.

Hes actually not slow when he gets going

Wilson is a charlatan and should have been sacked with Gio. He is useless and out of his depth in this role

That's enough of the rational, factual perspective. We need more from the FF "absolutely everybody is shite" scatter-gun approach.

When you read Real Madrid are signing a 16 year old for £70 million you realise we can't even afford the raw materials never mind the finished article
That's a poor example. Real Madrid are after someone considered exceptional, which is nothing new in football.

I don’t agree with these articles and the categorising of players by hit or miss. It doesn’t work that way. Certain players didn’t work out fair enough, some need to improve such as Scott Wright who remember was the player who scored in the Scottish cup final and sealed the trophy ensuring Hearts couldn’t come back. Some have been successful but also have poor periods like Lundstram and some look promising but need time to settle in as they are just in the door like Tom Lawrence.

The only players I’d say are / were unqualified successes from that list (excluding Defoe whose arrival clearly had nothing to do with Wilson) are Bassey, Lundstram, Colak and to some extent Hagi.

Roofe has talent and was great during the 55 campaign, but his injury issues - which we knew about prior to signing him - meant that he just hasn’t contributed enough in his time at the club to be considered an out and out hit for the circa £4m we paid.

Others like Sands, Tillman, McLaughlin, etc haven’t really done enough to merit a gold star.

The first two are loans and have often played that way while McLaughlin was so bad after being given his chance at the start of the season that he was unceremoniously dropped for a 40 year-old veteran.

The yardstick for me is how many players Wilson has added that have actually improved our starting eleven.

It’s scant few for my money.

That's a poor example. Real Madrid are after someone considered exceptional, which is nothing new in football.
It's a fucking crazy fee even for them. Seems more big clubs are going down the Chelsea route of hoovering up all the young potential they can & thinking its worth it if even 1 pays off. And they still want a fortune for their cast offs (Liverpool selling Williams for £16million for example).

The gap between the big countries and small is only getting bigger. When I was a boy we had half the England team. Now we struggle to match the money offered by English Championship clubs.

We used to pick up bargains from Scottish clubs like Goram, Davie Robertson, Neil McCann, Kris Boyd. Now clubs have cast their scouting networks so wide you have Italian clubs spending what is crazy money to us, but is a cheap gamble to them, signing Aberdeen & Hearts players.

Not saying Ross Wilson is perfect, but his job is tougher than most fans recognise & our success rate is always going to be lower as we just don't have the money needed to make high percentage signings.

It's a fucking crazy fee even for them. Seems more big clubs are going down the Chelsea route of hoovering up all the young potential they can & thinking its worth it if even 1 pays off. And they still want a fortune for their cast offs (Liverpool selling Williams for £16million for example).

The gap between the big countries and small is only getting bigger. When I was a boy we had half the England team. Now we struggle to match the money offered by English Championship clubs.

We used to pick up bargains from Scottish clubs like Goram, Davie Robertson, Neil McCann, Kris Boyd. Now clubs have cast their scouting networks so wide you have Italian clubs spending what is crazy money to us, but is a cheap gamble to them, signing Aberdeen & Hearts players.

Not saying Ross Wilson is perfect, but his job is tougher than most fans recognise & our success rate is always going to be lower as we just don't have the money needed to make high percentage signings.
Something well overlooked, especially on this thread. Many good points there, but there will be a "correction" when it comes to football finances; when that will be is anyone's guess.

Pretty sure Balogun said himself Wilson was trying hard to keep him but Gio didn’t fancy him. Don’t disagree with a lot of your post but Balogun leaving was 100% on Gio.

Conversely we seem like we are about to lose another highly rated youngsters to an English side for buttons.

Gilmour, Wilson, Wylie. All gone for peanuts. Its a struggle for us to even develop our own youth to get into the first team never mind sign youth from elsewhere

Tillman and Sands are being very generous. And don’t get me started on Roofe, all that money for his contribution is NOT a hit. A hit is what we’ll have to take to get rid of him.

And jury’s out on Souttar? Nah it’s not, he’s a miss. Wilson is about the only man in Scotland who thought signing the hospital patient was a good idea. I must admit I enjoyed watching him squirm at the AGM, even though he still got off light in my opinion.
What's the score with John Park as well,I don't think I've seen him interviewed and better at spotting a player than Wilson.

Pretty sure Balogun said himself Wilson was trying hard to keep him but Gio didn’t fancy him. Don’t disagree with a lot of your post but Balogun leaving was 100% on Gio.

He did say that... but any good business has it's directors overrule stupid decisions.

Gio won't have known anything about Davies or Souttar... so it comes down to who convinced Gio that they're better options than Balogun?

Balogun, who was available for 80% of our games over the two seasons here was here, that Balogun?

Keeping Balogun, is a damn sight better than signing Souttar.
signing Souttar was completely wrong but letting Balogun go was correct.

He did say that... but any good business has it's directors overrule stupid decisions.

Gio won't have known anything about Davies or Souttar... so it comes down to who convinced Gio that they're better options than Balogun?
The manager has the final say on players, if Wilson was pushing hard to re-sign Balogun and Gio ruled it out that’s on Gio tbh. Souttar I agree was a bad signing and Davies was very expensive for what we’ve seen so far I agree with those points, but Wilson obviously can’t sign players against the managers wishes ie Balogun. I think Gio had already decided Balogun wasn’t getting renewed last season, regardless of who else was coming in.

His worst mistakes are Kent and Morelos.

Kent our most expensive signing since Flo going for feck all, Morelos who we’ve had 20 million on the table before leaving for feck all.

If your a club like Chelsea you can afford to eat that, we can’t and it’s going to cost us in the long run.

I think this squad is the poorest I have seen in years. I can't find any reason to be positive about Wilson. Gio paid for it with his job, incredibly Wilson survived.

The rebuilding job we have on our hands over the next 6-8 months is probably similar to what Steven Gerrard had in his first season because of Wilson.

All those years of gradually building the quality of the squad back up have been flushed away because of him.

Potentially losing Kamara, Kent and Morelos also in January with little money to replace them because of Wilson's arrogance is criminal.

Back