The 'House of cards' comment

Northampton_Loyalist

I think people are perhaps misunderstanding things a little and confusing what is happening now with their house of cards collapsing. It is not. That fun has yet to arrive.

What Dave King meant was clear; He meant that ONCE they lose a league title THEN their house of cards will come tumbling down.

Their entire budget is based around either a CL win or selling a player for big money. Removing the CL income chance reduces the value of their players, reduces their pulling power and ability to bring in players with a view to profit, it reduces their sponsorship, it reduces their match day revenue, it reduces their corporate sales etc etc etc. Their entire foundations are built on sand and 55 knocks over the house. They are utterly unsustainable financially as anything other than champions and our title win this season, when it comes, will kick start a period of downsizing that will look like Eck's tenure without the trebles.

What is happening now is the warm-up act. The tribute you watch before the main event. the main players are preparing themselves for the scenes to come by serving up a tragedy/comedy (depending on which seats you are in) which is a stand alone event.

As bad as things are now for those mutants, and they are bad, things are about to get a whole lot worse.

Nearly all their sellable assets out of contract next year means they will struggle to get the money they’ll want. Can see a french hissy fit and I wouldn’t count out Ajer throwing a tantrum either.
This season, we win the league and enjoy the ride. We can dominate for a few years. All we need to do is finish this campaign as champions.

ZuJ6lOR.gif

I think people are perhaps misunderstanding things a little and confusing what is happening now with their house of cards collapsing. It is not. That fun has yet to arrive.

What Dave King meant was clear; He meant that ONCE they lose a league title THEN their house of cards will come tumbling down.

Their entire budget is based around either a CL win or selling a player for big money. Removing the CL income chance reduces the value of their players, reduces their pulling power and ability to bring in players with a view to profit, it reduces their sponsorship, it reduces their match day revenue, it reduces their corporate sales etc etc etc. Their entire foundations are built on sand and 55 knocks over the house. They are utterly unsustainable financially as anything other than champions and our title win this season, when it comes, will kick start a period of downsizing that will look like Eck's tenure without the trebles.

What is happening now is the warm-up act. The tribute you watch before the main event. the main players are preparing themselves for the scenes to come by serving up a tragedy/comedy (depending on which seats you are in) which is a stand alone event.

As bad as things are now for those mutants, and they are bad, things are about to get a whole lot worse.
One area you’ve also forgot is hopefully millions to go out to Victims of Septic Boys Club as well, to go on top of their losses.

Their fickle fans are already stating they’re not renewing for next season so expect a pretty empty ground next season.

Best case scenario...

• Rangers qualify for Champions League Group Stage
  • Celtic fail in Champions League Qualifying Round 2 and drop to Europa Conference League where they lose in qualifiers. Out of Europe completely.
  • 3rd placed team or cup winners are already guaranteed group stage football as a result of entering the Europa League in the playoff round. So they will either progress to Europa League groups or drop to Europa Conference League group stage if they lose
  • 4th and 5th placed teams will also be in the Europa Conference League qualifiers. Would be amusing if they somehow managed to qualify

I genuinely hope your spot on

Given the way the Champions League Qualifying goes now (I.e. the Champions Route for teams that win their national league but aren’t automatically in the Champions League and then the other Route for teams coming 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc) it would take a miracle for the mentally challengeds to qualify given they would be facing teams coming 3rd in the likes of Spain, Italy, England etc.

We can but hope.

I certainly understood what he meant, that’s the whole meaning of the phrase “house of cards”, it’s the crumbling of an empire in a sense.

I think King was ridiculed a bit for that but it’s starting to look like he was absolutely right.

What's the likelihood of Ajar, Christie, Édouard and Ntcham being there next season?

At a guess... No chance.

Without knowing anything.

Ajer, best of a bad bunch in defence... could easily see a bid come in.

Christie, could do okay lower end down south.

French guys want away

NL, I like your thought process.

Given the way the Champions League Qualifying goes now (I.e. the Champions Route for teams that win their national league but aren’t automatically in the Champions League and then the other Route for teams coming 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc) it would take a miracle for the mentally challengeds to qualify given they would be facing teams coming 3rd in the likes of Spain, Italy, England etc.
That route has changed since the last time Scottish teams were in it. Spain, Germany, England, Italy and probably France will have all their teams straight in the group stage.

So it will be 3rd place in Portugal, 2nd in Russia, Belgium, Ukraine, Holland, Turkey, Austria, Denmark and Czechs in that route.

I think it’s going better than DK anticipated. On top of losing the league and all that means, Lawwell has wrecked their business model by re-employing TLB, who has devalued all their players.
Tierney’s sale bailed out their last set of Accounts, who’s it going to be this time? It’ll have to be at least two or three of their top players to match what will be bigger losses this year. Then they have to be replaced.
Thats before the “House of Cards” scenario kicks in.

They've only made the Champions League group stages twice in seven years. It is a dismal record for a club who have had a clear run at it for years and considering the standard of opposition who eliminated them each time.

The Scottish media have repeatedly let them off the hook for that particular stat, while they glorified Piggery duds hoovering up worthless baubles in a domestic one-horse race. That they lost 1 - 13 to PSG during their " golden era " says it all.

How many of the faithful fru and fru are gonna ask their credit card company’s for a refund on this years season tickets seeing as they’ve not been able to get to a single game? They’re fucked and by god is it gonna be glorious!

I’m not really that surprised that they’re folding like a deck of cards. It’s the first time they’ve been in a real battle for a long time and they’ve melted. They haven’t done any hard yards to get them through the tough times. The knock on effect off the park can’t be underestimated.

Their success was only ever built on the very flimsy foundations of Rangers not being a realistic challenge. Which is why I don’t really think that a lot of their success in recent years can be taken too seriously.

The real and genuine surprise comes from their friends in the media, who are far too numerous and partisan to the point of delusion.

I’m sure there’s large numbers of their support that knew, in their quiet moments and to their horror, that this day was coming and regardless of what the media say, in a few weeks time, all their fake titles and trophies are going to count for f*ck all.

That route has changed since the last time Scottish teams were in it. Spain, Germany, England, Italy and probably France will have all their teams straight in the group stage.

So it will be 3rd place in Portugal, 2nd in Russia, Belgium, Ukraine, Holland, Turkey, Austria, Denmark and Czechs in that route.
Ah really. That is significantly easier than before....unfortunately.

I just hope lawell is still there. He's been a smug prick since the days of Martin Bain & to see him have to announce a firesale & them languishing will be a sight to behold.

That today was a glimpse of his pain but as you say, it's not a patch on things to come.

Let's hope we make the CL proper and they get fucked in the Qualifiers and drop to the Europa. What a financial advantage that would be for us. Also they'd be playing catch up in the league playing most Sundays while we're Saturday, More pressure put upon them.

winning 55 is a metaphor of us knocking down the first domino, the effect it'll have on the tims will be like the video below

I love it how the tide has turned and still remember the sleekit bastards boast "We are not a selling club, we are a buying club" when we had to downsize during Alex McLeish's time. We still ran over the top of them then.

Get it right fùcking up the lot of them.

UCL qualification will see us with our foot on their throats.

Absolutely mental when you consider where they could have been if run properly

Think about it; Could Dave King have had any idea that they would implode so spectacularly this season? He was clearly referencing what would happen with a single title win for us. I think he actually specifically said exactly that too.
That's always what I assumed he meant too

Ajer, Christie, Ntcham and Eduoard all go into the final 12 months of their contracts in the summer as well.

They’ll likely sell all four for some decent cash but they’ll be lucky to get half of what they really want.

Back