The humble throw-in

PunkScott

We probably see a throw in hundreds of times a match and unless I'm missing something, apart for the occasional use of a towel for a long throw, nothing about it has changed...ever!

It isn't just us, teams get a throw-in, the taker points about and then nobody wants it and possession is lost so easily.

Even the RTV commented on Wed that Ejaria looked uncomfortable taking one! A professional footballer being uncomfortable taking probably the most commonly occurring events in a match! my 2-year-old can take one!

We've seen over the years than a team can get "Marginal gains" by working on something that others clubs don't. Could a throw-in ever be one of them? Is there more you can do with it?

(Before anyone says it, this isn't my solution to Mr Gerrard's problems, it's just a general observation :p )

The thing attacking teams should do 30-40 yards out is switch on quickly to take a longer throw behind the defence when you can't be offside. The amount of opportunities wasted amazes me. That and the amount of foul throws which should be given and aren't.

The thing attacking teams should do 30-40 yards out is switch on quickly to take a longer throw behind the defence when you can't be offside. The amount of opportunities wasted amazes me. That and the amount of foul throws which should be given and aren't.
This, all day. You virtually never see a foul throw given nowadays regardless of how it is taken. And nearly every so called 'long thrower' is over the line and on the pitch when releasing the ball. Like that Hearts prick for example.

There's not to much you can do with it, IMO.

Short one you need space for player to pass it back before 'thrower' gets closed down.

Play it down the line, hope it gets headed on or headed out for further throw, but with more yards gained.

Catapult style thrown right into the box hoping for something.

Each have their own high chance of losing possession I reckon. I'm surprised it hasn't evolved to kick ins, as that would make the game flow more and teams would be more reluctant to boot the ball out.

It's frustrating and annoying the number of times we lose possession from a throw because we simply fail to get the ball on the ground control it and make an effective pass. And more often than not we seem to throw backwards into defence

Don't know if you saw Lewis McLeods goal for Brentford the other night but it came from one of the most obvious foul throws ever

Every other team seems to steal 10yds from every throw in. We don’t.

We should start doing so.

General observation but it's amazing the number of times a player has the ball in his hands with the opportunity of taking a quick throw in, but waits and gives the ball to the "designated" throw in taker as if he is some sort of expert at the art. By which time everyone is marked.

This, all day. You virtually never see a foul throw given nowadays regardless of how it is taken. And nearly every so called 'long thrower' is over the line and on the pitch when releasing the ball. Like that Hearts prick for example.
I think the last professional I seen being done for a foul throw was Broadfoot for us, and not just once!

Johan Cruyff said that he always tried to take throw-ins, because he'd tell his teammate to dink the ball back to him, at which point he'd probably be the only player not closely marked by a defender.

I agree that our throw-ins are dreadful - and also that nowadays, foul throws are commonplace, and are never punished.

I heard on the radio a couple of weeks ago that one of the EPL clubs uses separate coaching sessions specifically for throw-ins. Might seem a bit excessive but it shows how much detail and preparation some of their clubs go into.

Johan Cruyff said that he always tried to take throw-ins, because he'd tell his teammate to dink the ball back to him, at which point he'd probably be the only player not closely marked by a defender.

I agree that our throw-ins are dreadful - and also that nowadays, foul throws are commonplace, and are never punished.

It's the easiest option to create time on the ball and keep possession. What the thrower has to do is make sure that the person (and his teammates) receiving the ball is far enough away to give the thrower time to control the return. The thrower should always hit feet instead of baws, stomach, shoulder, knee or neck, stuff we've endured since Gary Stevens and Tam Cowan left :)

At shies we are a disgrace. We don't take quick throws. We take too long. Nobody moves. We can't pass the ball back to thrower first-time. We can't take a long throw ( Wallace excepted). We are slow to mark
and mark tightly at opposition shies. And SG and G McA call themselves 'coaches'.

It usually becomes a 50/50 because everyone is marked or it’s tapped back to the taker who is hemmed in on the line and being closed down. It needs somebody who can get out of tight positions and movement but I don’t really see them as an advantage unless it stops a cross which goes for a throw rather than a corner.

The first training session I got at secondary school was how to take a shy & the PE teacher made us all line up & hit targets around 3 - 10 - & 15 yard distances -
15 yards could be a tall order for a 12 year old
All those who'se feet crossed the bye line or didn't make the throw from fully behind their head were made to start the whole exercise again
I don't remember ever having too much problem with throw-ins again after that

We probably see a throw in hundreds of times a match and unless I'm missing something, apart for the occasional use of a towel for a long throw, nothing about it has changed...ever!

It isn't just us, teams get a throw-in, the taker points about and then nobody wants it and possession is lost so easily.

Even the RTV commented on Wed that Ejaria looked uncomfortable taking one! A professional footballer being uncomfortable taking probably the most commonly occurring events in a match! my 2-year-old can take one!

We've seen over the years than a team can get "Marginal gains" by working on something that others clubs don't. Could a throw-in ever be one of them? Is there more you can do with it?

(Before anyone says it, this isn't my solution to Mr Gerrard's problems, it's just a general observation :p )

Yes absolutely,apart from the obvious one of taking it quickly,before the other team is set up,there are loads of different lay offs, flick ons,decoy runs etc we can use.It is something we should practice in training.

I heard on the radio a couple of weeks ago that one of the EPL clubs uses separate coaching sessions specifically for throw-ins. Might seem a bit excessive but it shows how much detail and preparation some of their clubs go into.
It's Liverpool who do that

At shies we are a disgrace. We don't take quick throws. We take too long. Nobody moves. We can't pass the ball back to thrower first-time. We can't take a long throw ( Wallace excepted). We are slow to mark
and mark tightly at opposition shies. And SG and G McA call themselves 'coaches'.
th

Your 2 year old.. can he play left back by any chance? :)

We don't because we take about 30 seconds to throw it in by which time every body is marked. We do it every game does my head in.

Yup drives me bonkers too.

Even more frustrating is that we allow opposition players to take an east throw constantly and don't put the same pressure on them we have put on us

Never understood why, in the game of football, the thrown in became a thing.

The game would be better, in an attacking sense imo, if it were kicked back in. Every ‘throw’ in the opponents half could then become a decent attacking opportunity.

I must say we are utterly hopeless at throw ins. As has been said it’s never a quick throw, we dally around then either throw it high up the line only for the opposition to win the header or we play it short in a tight space and we try pass it back to the thrower and more often than not concede a throw. We’ve not been good at throw ins for a long long time.

Anyone else remember (our) Davie Provan taking a throw-in hitting his opponent players back & collecting the rebound ?
If I recall correctly he used to do it quite often & he probably wasn't the only one of our players who used the same trick
I can't say I've seen that or anything similar in a long time

It annoys the shit out of me why more often than not we wait for the fullback to take a thrown in instead of whoever is closest so we can counter.

I also detest teams that constantly use the long throw. Sign of a diddy team.

Never understood why, in the game of football, the thrown in became a thing.

The game would be better, in an attacking sense imo, if it were kicked back in. Every ‘throw’ in the opponents half could then become a decent attacking opportunity.
I like that idea. Pele suggested it some years ago.

Yup drives me bonkers too.

Even more frustrating is that we allow opposition players to take an east throw constantly and don't put the same pressure on them we have put on us
This nails it imo. Facing throw ins we make it simple for the opposition, and it's been the same way for years. Taking a throw and the opposition are right in our players faces, harassing us and forcing a mistake or nicking the ball. Bugs the bejeezus out of me.

I remember years back a mate expounding over a pint or two on how the team that takes the throw-in is at the disadvantage.
That the man throwing the ball in has usually nine fellow outfield players he's got to throw towards, who are being marked by ten opposition outfield players.

Because it's not a kick-in, the range is generally limited, and as soon as you start hoying it long it becomes a coin-toss to see which giant will get to it first.
Throwing it short means that you generally get the ball given back to you, with your back to the touchline, and two or three opponents hacking into you.

As others mention, contrast that with a kick-in.
Opponents having to be back a certain distance.
A choice of quick kick or studied set-piece, a choice of short or long.

It would change the game slightly for the better, with refs certainly being more attentive to the position of where the kick-in is taken.

I'd go for kick-ins too, with the exception that I'd make it it must be along the ground and defenders must back off ten yards. Leaving it open to big hoofs up the park through the air would change the game for the worse in my opinion.

The other thing (be it kick ins or throw ins) we MUST do up here is have multi ball for games. Its embarrassing that we don't. Multiball has the potential to significantly speed the game up rather than some donkey hoofing it into the stand and everyone standing around waiting for ten minutes for the same ball to be returned to play. No good reason why we can't be like most other leagues and have balls dotted all around the perimeter of the pitch. Its crazy we have it in Europa league games but not spfl. Its hardly some crazy rocket science development that would cost millions to introduce, is it?

It's the easiest option to create time on the ball and keep possession. What the thrower has to do is make sure that the person (and his teammates) receiving the ball is far enough away to give the thrower time to control the return. The thrower should always hit feet instead of baws, stomach, shoulder, knee or neck, stuff we've endured since Gary Stevens and Tam Cowan left :)

Pull closer to the taker and create space behind themselves for another team mate is a school boy tactic, but still not utilized enough.

There are countless moves to be made with a throw.

Thrower delivers to team mate who returns the ball pulls further infield calling for the ball and opening up the channel down the line.

Set pieces, master them.

That astounds me, too. Surely you must be aware you can't be offside from a throw in, or a goal kick.

Forget the thrower, I am of the opinion the most important people at a throw in are those other players manoeuvring to take advantage of it and press the game forward.
What pisses me off is those who aren't brave or competent enough to show for it.

There's not to much you can do with it, IMO.

Short one you need space for player to pass it back before 'thrower' gets closed down.

Play it down the line, hope it gets headed on or headed out for further throw, but with more yards gained.

Catapult style thrown right into the box hoping for something.

Each have their own high chance of losing possession I reckon. I'm surprised it hasn't evolved to kick ins, as that would make the game flow more and teams would be more reluctant to boot the ball out.

There you go again. A poster starts a thread highlighting a problem we have that needs addressed and in you go with "there's not too much you can do with it".

Time to move on timmy.

Many many moons ago when I played it was always the closest player to the ball when it went out took the throw.

And us players made space to receive the ball with ins and outs, decoy runs etc .

Pro’s most of the time look static at throw ins

There you go again. A poster starts a thread highlighting a problem we have that needs addressed and in you go with "there's not too much you can do with it".

Time to move on timmy.

Geez peace.

I'm opening up the debate with my opinion, if you can't cope with differing opinions then why are you on the forum?

Also, 'timmy'? Has to be the shiteist attempt at a put down to grace FF.o_O

Last edited:
Back