The hunt for the new Morelos

We can start with giving the stats and Xs, whatever they mean, a wide berth.

Unless we are extremely lucky, we will not be getting another Morelos ever again in our lifetime.

Mols, for that four months before injury might be my main man. Maybe. This Columbian, wonderful, one of ours has me wondering?

Mols could take a defender out with that shimmy.
Alfie wants to take every defender on with a gimme, gimme, gimme. (Apol JCC)

We have never seen a Rangers centre forward, who makes chances all on his own like this boy.

WE, as a club, will be all the poorer when this boy steps up to a bigger stage. (Never a bigger club)

Its not exactly set in stone that he will leave the club need to receive a bid that they are happy with and im sure Morelos and his Agent will be aware of that

I think we should be prepared to spend up to 50% of any fee on replacing Alfie.

Whether that is on one or two players is the question

Good article. Feel we need a direct replacement but a player thats still developing but can be used if needed, but like Edmunson at CH

I remain convinced that the player we should be going after is Jakub Świerczok from Ludogorets Razgrad.

The data scouting I done on him is impressive.

Interesting article. But what we bring will always depend on what get, and how much of that the board allows to spend

I know nothing about him other than him appearing on that graph. The amount of money seems high still though.

Remember the parameters I used only include players who have played Europa League this season or currently play in Scandinavia/Balkans. For the amount of money spent you'd be wanting him to be a bit higher up those charts in my opinion, but I haven't looked into him in any detail or even seen a clip to say much else.
Really insightful analysis. Thanks for all this.

Will be interesting to see who the club identify when he finally goes. Hopefully not before the summer and even then later is better.

If or when Alfie does leave we will need not one but 2 new strikers, or at least 1 and a goal scoring midfielder. I hope we bring one in before the transfer window shuts, providing its not a panic buy. Need a decent one for the longterm

Excellent read but almost an impossible task Wilson faces as a lot of punters forget how raw Morelos was when he came to us and he wasn't heralded as a big signing, but when he does move on the demands on his replacement will be instant.

Fantastic research , well done OP.
Sadly I think Alfie is 1 in a million, never to be found again....
But, never say never.

As an aside, check the photo at the top of the article and the utter disdain shown by that cop towards Alfie

That was a good read. Once Alfie goes I think we will probably change how we play slightly, like we do when Defoe plays. We will never get a like for like replacement for Alfie. Out the players mentioned Weissman sounds the most interesting to me

Finds like Alfie are few and far between. It takes a whole load of stars to align, plenty of great players have struggled in leagues they should have excelled in.

With how we work now if fully assume we would have targets in mind so I do wonder if those names listed are on the clubs list.
Nice work!

Was going to say Ragnar Ache at Sparta Rotterdam, but see he's signed a pre contract at Eintract Frankfurt.

Good article. Liked the attention to detail & analysis.

Straight onto FM to see if i can hoover any of these up!

I'm glad your calling out we shouldn't go anywhere near Cosgrove!

I don't think we'll be able to get another forward as good as Morelos. I would take a chance on Paul Glatzel and Lawrence Shankland both are young and both are tremendous goalscorers although neither is as good as Morelos.

Quite the understatement - Shankland is an average SPL player, at best.

Imagine the mainstream media did analysis and articles like this, instead of regurgitating the usual crap and looking for sensational headlines!

Excellent read. Just shows how well Alfie is doing and also how difficult it would be to replace him. The FCSB player sounds like a real prospect. I suppose if we sell Alfie we get big money and hopefully that allows us to get a player in at £5m+.

Cracking read, thanks OP. Weissman sounds like a player. Its actually amazing to see the Morelos stats and how favourably he stacks up against the competition!

Given it was JJ who unearthed our gem that is Alfie, get him on board and make him Scandinavian scout. Also we look at the Croatian market that has served us well, bar one mishap, just avoid the over inflated over rated English leagues
Yes.
Keep away from England as the prices are crazy
Unless it's a pre contract signing

Thank you! He was my favourite too, yeah. Not quite sure how much he would be going for mind you.
He looks the real deal I've been following him since the early part of season when there was an artical about him and morelos being in some top 10 scorers in Europe for minute to goals. My only worry is RB Salzburg maybe being interested in him to replace halland. Theres a lad in Switzerland playing for St Gallen called Cedric Itten he's been attracting interest from other clubs in europ he's only 23 and has 2 goals on 3 appearances for Switzerland as well as a good record domestically can you crunch the numbers on him mate?

Thats a very good article. It must have taken a while to compile those statistics. The arguments are fair as well.

Brilliant article mate. Also thoroughly enjoyed the pod with Ally as well on the topic.

I believe that preferably we go after a similar style to Morelos, however I don't think we will be in a position to get anyone as good even though there may be players with some similarities.

What I do think however also is that we are going to have to re adapt and develop a different system in some aspects like what we done eventually with Morelos.

I’ve written an article on the Heart & Hand site looking at possible replacements for Morelos should he leave in the summer.

Apologies in advance for using any words/numbers that sound made up and/or people hate :D
Listened to the excellent H&H pod last night.
Keep doing this stuff guys, your leaving the mainstream media for dead.

Back