The Ibrox Pitch

ThePieWasNiceAndTender

Official Ticketer
Given the poor weather with heavy rain and periods of snow and ice over the last couple of months the pitch looks to have been affected.

Does anyone know what the plans are for this going forward, i think i remember hearing talk of it being renewed at somepoint with part of the grass being artificial to prevent heavy wearing?

Anyone got further info on this?

Think there has to be proper investment/thought towards the pitch in the summer. This team deserves a better home surface than what we've had over the last couple of years.

No surprise to me that guys like Kent play better on the surfaces in Europe and Scottish surfaces pre-winter.

Is there any point investing money into the pitch if we’re considering digging down to increase capacity?

Is there any point investing money into the pitch if we’re considering digging down to increase capacity?

Was there not supposed to be an announcement with regards to increasing capacity at the beginning of this year? Im sure that was mentioned at the last AGM

Was there not supposed to be an announcement with regards to increasing capacity at the beginning of this year? Im sure that was mentioned at the last AGM

I thought the chat was it would be done for 2022?

Tbh, I think it would be silly spending £1m+ on a pitch if we’re then going to tear it up

It didn't look great yesterday, but the ball appeared to be running better and the players didn't seem as bogged down in it compared to the last couple of games.

Pitches appear to be a problem for a lot of teams just now, even some of the EPL ones aren't great.

This mild patch we are having plus only few home games between now and April should see it repair I would hope.

But yes, it needs sorted this summer, granted the weather has been torture but it can and needs to be better.

Not sure if any fixes I the summer will be anything other than temporary. There is no point spending several million on a pitch that is likely to be torn up to add more seats in a few years.

Is there enough time between our end of season and the first qualifier to allow for the required work to be done on it?

@HumpZ

This is the man in the know.

The current pitch; barely fit for amateur football.

Gerrard should be rightly raging with whatever investment decision led to us selecting the current option.

It is embarrassing.

Like building a top class F1 car and sticking remoulds on the wheels.

I think the pitch state over winter has had a huge effect on our performance level. Our fast one touch stuff is affected disproportionately compared to the hammer throw style of other teams. Also encourages teams to high press us because it takes longer to control the ball on a poor pitch levelling things with players of less ability. If we can spend money on our pitch to sort out this winter effect it would help us significantly. Of course nothing alas we can do about away fixtures.

There were plenty posters in the thread about Livis pitch telling us how junior clubs had fantastic grass pitches. Maybe need to hire their groundsman

There were plenty posters in the thread about Livis pitch telling us how junior clubs had fantastic grass pitches. Maybe need to hire them
It’s actually nothing to do with the staff, the pitch is 4 years past it’s expiry date seemingly & is built on top of the old one.

Board haven’t provided proper funding to fix it properly, merely a short term fix every year it seems which tends to go tits up.

The poster I tagged above, his post history outlines it all pretty well.

There were plenty posters in the thread about Livis pitch telling us how junior clubs had fantastic grass pitches. Maybe need to hire their groundsman
Best groundsmen in the world couldn't improve our pitch any better.

Fundamentally it is f.ucked and the whole structure underneath the soil needs a complete overhaul.

Sheer lack of investment is the issue.

That HAS to change as the pitch is an absolute embarrassment and does nothing to help our style of football.

I am no groundskeeping expert at all, I cut grass in my garden that's it but my question would be what can we actually do with the pitch - does anyone know?
Is it just a case of it succumbing to the cold wet winters that we have here or is it a drainage issue or something like that? I wouldn't suggest for a second it's anything to do with the staff but you know the old saying you can only piss with the c.ock you were given. Maybe with where we are in the world it's an impossible task getting a perfect surface in the winter months.

We seem to invest lots of money in the pitch and it's still rubbish.
That's the thing mate. Not a lot has been spent.

Yes, we have relaid turf each season but that's not overly expensive. It's the structure underneath which requires the investment in order to prevent the actual playing surface hitting problems after only a dozen or do games each season.

I am no groundskeeping expert at all, I cut grass in my garden that's it but my question would be what can we actually do with the pitch - does anyone know?
Is it just a case of it succumbing to the cold wet winters that we have here or is it a drainage issue or something like that? I wouldn't suggest for a second it's anything to do with the staff but you know the old saying you can only piss with the c.ock you were given. Maybe with where we are in the world it's an impossible task getting a perfect surface in the winter months.

Some of the pitches in the English Prem look considerably better, granted they will have far superior budgets over the last however many years.

I have noticed that we seemed to have acquired these heat lamp machines which get pulled out at the end of a game, not sure how much of a difference they make though

Best groundsmen in the world couldn't improve our pitch any better.

Fundamentally it is f.ucked and the whole structure underneath the soil needs a complete overhaul.

Sheer lack of investment is the issue.

That HAS to change as the pitch is an absolute embarrassment and does nothing to help our style of football.
But the FF experts insist just one guy and a lawnmower can have a pitch befitting top-flight football

(My tongue is firmly in my cheek here)

Some of the pitches in the English Prem look considerably better, granted they will have far superior budgets over the last however many years.

I have noticed that we seemed to have acquired these heat lamp machines which get pulled out at the end of a game, not sure how much of a difference they make though
We have had them for nearly a decade have we not, if not longer

Looked a bit better yesterday. I’m assuming the slightly milder weather coupled with the heat lamps have helped. Probably been over-seeded or the likes recently too, hence all the pigeons that were lurking about treating it like a buffet yesterday.

Aye I usually walk past those lamps outside the stadium going to and from games, when going to football existed.

I would imagine we are using state of the art equipment and from what I've heard the groundskeeping team are superb so I don't think there's any blame there. Maybe it is just the prolonged s.hite weather.

I can remember going in the early 90s when I was a kid and the pitch was a totty field at this time of year, far worse than anything I see nowadays.
There's far more traffic on the pitch the last couple of years in particular with the domestic and European games, maybe that's got something to do with it as well.

Looking back at the Braga highlights this time last year the pitch was worse then than it is now. The pitch doesn't look great at all but in general the weather since November hasn't been great been very wet. Its no coincidence the worst part of the pitch is the section that never gets natural sunlight due to the main stand. The lights can only do so much don't think we have many of them think we have 5 or 6.

Not sure if any fixes I the summer will be anything other than temporary. There is no point spending several million on a pitch that is likely to be torn up to add more seats in a few years.
I would argue that there is.

We spend millions on players every season.

A million pound on a pitch is nothing compared to that. Especially after the state its been in.

With the rain forecast for Glasgow this week, I dread to think the state of it on Thursday night.

Our pitch is poor but I don’t see us spending a million on it when we are going to dig down again to increase capacity ? best to wait then do it all at once surely

I
I would argue that there is.

We spend millions on players every season.

A million pound on a pitch is nothing compared to that. Especially after the state its been in.
I agree mate.

I know we haven't got billions kicking about, but there has to be far more priority on the level of investment for our playing surface. It's a fundamental part of the football process and key to success.

Unlike most clubs in Scotland we actually try to play football the proper way. We need the board to step up and acknowledge that the pitch needs to have the attention it deserves.

And going into the CL next season we simply can't have a pitch like we have.

I'm sure someone said the plans are to put a new pitch in this summer and I hope it is true because we absolutely can't go into another season with the same one. It is shocking at the minute.

I thought we got a new pitch less than a year ago?

As others in the thread have noted, an improved pitch would benefit the type of football Gerrard wants the team to play.

A good quality pitch, all season round (and not merely at the start of the campaign), would be a big competative advantage. (i.e., if the team have the right pitch all year round, in my opinion, there is no other team that can live with us domestically.)

I hope funding is made available for improvements in this area.

Perhaps it will be after the league is secured, and the club can think about European income.

Think there has to be proper investment/thought towards the pitch in the summer. This team deserves a better home surface than what we've had over the last couple of years.

No surprise to me that guys like Kent play better on the surfaces in Europe and Scottish surfaces pre-winter.
It affects how we play, can’t expect a passing and dribbling game to work properly on surfaces like that. Braga last season was the worst ive ever seen it in recent memory.
Would be as good as a new signing to get it relaid with partial artificial turf which should keep the feel of a grass surface.

It looked loaded with sand and feed but instead of a new pitch we should maybe hire some eagles they love a pigeon

Back