The Ibrox Pitch

Can I ask where there is so much secrecy over the pitch? Just seems a tad weird.
Myself and others look after a bowling green and everyone who walks in the gate is an expert and in reality know next to fuck all about it. Better to just stay quiet or you'd never get anything done.
Grass doesn't grow much in the Winter due to lack of heat and a reduction in photosynthesis. (darkness) Who knew? Hence the lamps.
The roots will be weak due to chemical fertilizing which means the roots don't extend due to not having to search for nutrients. They'll be thrown on from the top.
Our green is 150 years old never been replaced.
Modern football pitches are as near to artificial surfaces as it's possible to get without being artificial.
Lay new pitch - force feed - artificial heat and light - grass becomes weak and cuts up easily - repeat.
Seems to me, after having gone down this route it becomes a never ending cycle,

Surely there are plenty of experts in the Glasgow area with vast experience of getting “green” things to grow under artificial light. I mean they can do it in their loft so I don’t see the height of the stands being a problem. :D

Is there any point investing money into the pitch if we’re considering digging down to increase capacity?

We have replaced the pitch a few times in recent years and is the previous "Digging Down" not causing the problem? It looked like a swamp on Sunday, much worse than what you see at other Clubs, with Grass pitches.

We seem to be having to relay the pitch every summer at the moment and it has been poor from november to march for at least the last couple of years, the climate in glasgow isn't that much worse if any than northern england clubs so there must be a fundamental issue with the setup or maintenance through the season
I have written this in another thread the likes of Man Utd Newcastle and Liverpool have spent millions on drainage underground heating and hybrid pitches, I noticed on the RTV highlights from Sunday that prior to the match starting the pitch was being watered perhaps somebody who is an expert in pitch maintenance could explain why the pitch is watered when it’s in the state it’s in?

The installtion isn't the issue cost wise, the required power, maintenace and upkeep costs is. Gleneagles turned it off for years as they couldnt keep up with the costs.

Great idea if you have huge pockets

What kind of cost are you talking for a completely new pitch rather than just doing the repair job that’s happened recently?

The installtion isn't the issue cost wise, the required power, maintenace and upkeep costs is. Gleneagles turned it off for years as they couldnt keep up with the costs.

Great idea if you have huge pockets
I'd happily have £20 or so added to the cost of my ST each year if it meant we got a decent pitch all season to watch our player play on.

Anywhere from 1Million to 1.5Million. If you go down the route of lowering the pitch and putting in a sub air system, you're talking 2.5 million plus about a 6 fold increase in maintenace costs yearly.

In your opinion then, would increasing the capacity be worthless then? Sounds as if any increased revenue would be offset on maintaining the new lowered pitch?

Would it make economic sense to spend millions increasing capacity?

My old man's company have designed some drawings for the club with the increased capacity.
I think there was 3 different options but the capacity will only increase by just under 5k.

Back