The imperious Connor Goldson and his contract.

LoganBear

Official Ticketer
Top centre back who seems to have improved year on year for us.

This season he just seems to have came back after the break meaning business.

Very vocal and a leader for us on the park.

Solid defensively, can ping the long diagonal to kenty etc very well and seems to have added goals against the opposition to his game.

Only 27 years old so is coming into his prime years.

Under contract until the summer of 2022.

There hasnt been anything in media etc about his deal/contract. He was signed from EPL albeit he wasnt getting a game and was not long back from heart surgery but do we think he is one of highest earners?

I really hope we are having discussions in private to try to extend his deal and even offer him an increase if their is scope.

Wouldnt surprise me if wanted another crack at the EPL being english but for me it would be a massive statement of intent if we could get him to sign on until 2023.

thoughts?

Top centre back who seems to have improved year on year for us.

This season he just seems to have came back after the break meaning business.

Very vocal and a leader for us on the park.

Solid defensively, can ping the long diagonal to kenty etc very well and seems to have added goals against the opposition to his game.

Only 27 years old so is coming into his prime years.

Under contract until the summer of 2022.

There hasnt been anything in media etc about his deal/contract. He was signed from EPL albeit he wasnt getting a game and was not long back from heart surgery but do we think he is one of highest earners?

I really hope we are having discussions in private to try to extend his deal and even offer him an increase if their is scope.

Wouldnt surprise me if wanted another crack at the EPL being english but for me it would be a massive statement of intent if we could get him to sign on until 2023.

thoughts?
For all he wasn’t getting a game at Brighton he came in for matches in the EPL and was picking up MOTM awards.

I remember vividly watching on MOTD one of the times and Alan Shearer was gushing over him because he had played so well.

Just so happened at the time Dunk was playing out his shell, guarantee Graham Potter would love a CG in his team the now. The money we paid for him (and Fil) is robbery.

I’ve been a fan since he signed and think it’s of critical importance we get him on a new deal.

That said I would like him rested occasionally because Balogun has the same attributes to a lesser extent and could help him.

Although I think he's been an excellent signing, I'm wary of dishing out improved contracts until we win something. Otherwise, good though his performances have been, we'd be rewarding failure. It's different if he was one of our lowest earners, but I'd guess he's in our 2nd top tier of earners. Do we bump him into the top tier without a trophy to show?

I doubt Kamara earns as much as Goldson so there's more of an argument to be had to improve and extend Kamaras deal.

When we do get a trophy this year, extending Goldson contract should be top of the agenda. I think he might well want a crack at the EPL but I think he loves it here and just wait til he sees the reaction to 55. That will be so huge and hard to resist staying for more.

Although I think he's been an excellent signing, I'm wary of dishing out improved contracts until we win something. Otherwise, good though his performances have been, we'd be rewarding failure. It's different if he was one of our lowest earners, but I'd guess he's in our 2nd top tier of earners. Do we bump him into the top tier without a trophy to show?

I doubt Kamara earns as much as Goldson so there's more of an argument to be had to improve and extend Kamaras deal.

When we do get a trophy this year, extending Goldson contract should be top of the agenda. I think he might well want a crack at the EPL but I think he loves it here and just wait til he sees the reaction to 55. That will be so huge and hard to resist staying for more.

I am huge connor goldson fan and a lot of what you say is fair.

the problem being is if he gets into the last year of his contract the likliehood is we will sell him.

Last edited:
This is going to be a theme for us the better we do in the coming 12-18 months , players like goldson , kamara , Kent etc it is a must we reward them and protect the club by getting them on the best possible contracts

Hopefully goldson and the likes will see the lure of becoming a legend and playing in the champs league with us , rather than playing at a Mid table prem side ...

That’s a nonsense and if we genuinely had that approach then we’d probably never win said trophy.

If we win the league this year, then I think he might fancy and deserve a shot at the EPL.

Burnley/Southampton type.

He’s been a brilliant signing.
if we win the league I wouldnt grudge him a move to the EPL and all the riches that would entail, it will mostly likely be his last contract and his most lucrative.

Obviously would be gutted to see him go and would love him to extend his stay for hopefully a crack at the champions league.

I am huge connor goldson fan and a lot of what you say is fair.

the problem being is if he gets into the last year of his contract the likliehood is we well him.

his rising stock might make a move back to the EPL inevitable
hence the purchase & careful nuturing of Edmundson & Katic

As far as him going back to the epl. Unless he’s thinking about one last big earner before retiring....

Don't you think it will depend on whether Gerrard sticks around and how much these boys enjoy playing Europe?

New 4 year deal £15m release clause with him entitled to % off fee.

Because if we don't he could run down his contract and pick up a large signing on fee in England and we get £0.

Not that I know anything about the fine details of contracts release clauses etc.

I know that Goldson is an asset and better than most if not all central defenders in the bottom 10 EPL teams

An extension has got be in the minds of the management, our best CB and a leader - would be hard to replace without millions

It’s a good question from the OP

This season he has been very good and he deserves the praise after Saturday and his goals

Im sure discussions will be going on behind the scenes re a contract extension

Hopefully he helps us win the league this season and he fancies a crack at CL qualifiers then extends for a year or two

Don’t want him to run his contract down and get no return sale wise

Hardly rewarding failure.
It's called protecting your Investment.

Contract aren't all about rewarding a player. They are about keeping them tied to us and making sure a decent sell on value is maintained.

Agreed but to have any chance at all of getting goldson to extend his deal with us, we would 100% need to offer him an improved contract on better terms.

Agreed but to have any chance at all of getting goldson to extend his deal with us, we would 100% need to offer him an improved contract on better terms.
It's the way of the world mate. Just down to Gerrard to evaluate his worth to us.

An extension has got be in the minds of the management, our best CB and a leader - would be hard to replace without millions
I think big Herlander is our best CB, but Goldson is definitely due an extension. He will be attracting interest and rightfully so. It would be folly to let him enter the last year of his contract. We need to protect our assets and the value we get for them.

He may just fancy seeing out his contract with us and getting a big payday by signing on a free for somebody regardless, it's not really worth speculating on at this point.

If that's the case, you'd imagine that we will either look to sell him in the summer or we replace him with someone younger when the time comes. That's the model we should be operating by anyway.

As good as he is, he'll be almost 30 by then and we may well need to freshen things up.

I agree he's due an increase in wages if he signs a new deal (it's kind of what you expect unless you're coming to the end of your contract). As our vice captain and one of the first names on the team sheet I don't think anyone would grudge him that if we can afford it.

I also don't think any Rangers fan would grudge any of our players testing themselves in the EPL if we win the league.

over a chance to play in the Champions League?! No chance!

I hope your right mate but playing regularly against the likes of liverpool, man united, man city etc on more than double the wages we can offer when its his last contract? Its not a stick on that he would choose the champions league unfortunately.

I've got to confess - I've been critical of him in the past
But being honest & with a bit of hindsight - I was being a bit too picky

He has had mistakes in the past - but I'm unsure if part of that was playing alongside Katic (no direspect meant to Katic by the way) but Goldson seems more steady alongside Helander or Balogen

With the possible exception of the hiv's game - he's looked greatly improved this season & I hope it continues

I'm not sure about his ambitions but I can't see him being too tempted by a bottom half of the table EPL team who walk a relegation tightrope every other season - especially when he could stay where he is with hopefully much more chance of trophies & continued European football- ought to be a no-brainer (but then I am biased)

If anyone does come calling for him - we should behave like we've done recently with Alfie & Kent - we should only be interested in top top dollar

Hope we can get agreement on a new deal. Probably depend on what interest, if any, his agent is aware of.

He is good but I dont see him at EPL level tbh.

ouch.

bang goes the wage increase then if true.
An extra £20k a week gives him £1m. When he goes it will be for a shit load of money. More than pay us back. And if he doesn’t go, then he is a cracking defender that would be great to have around.

Tbh I wasn't his biggest fan up until this season. I always thought he was a poor man's Amoruso (good siege defender but don't give him time to think) and some of the attempts on goal from headers, I thought he had corners on his head, big hexagon heid. But this season he's been outstanding, came back with a confidence, as a leader and has improved on all aspects of his game. He's a goal threat and can ping a pass with accuracy over 40/50 yards no problem. Still has a couple of errors in him like 2 on Saturday (felt he mistimed his run from deep the play thumb offside) but I'm a fan of his now. Hopefully he keeps it up and even improve

Hopefully can extend on similar terms, he’s worth the wage. A leader and a gent.

I feel like he’d have loyalty to us and to Gerrard, who effectively gave him the platform to reignite his career. He’s a leader and a rock at the back. We have players in waiting who would take over but I’d hate to lose the big man.

I like him, but I thought he was at fault for their two big chances on Saturday
He made an error for the first one but was unlucky with the bounce of the ball (of him) the second assuming you mean the griffiths chance was Helander sleeping. If that is your major takeaway from his performance on Saturday then there truly is no pleaseing some people

It’s quite amusing how everyone is suddenly a big Goldson fan when he was being slated a few weeks ago. 2 goals against them can do that I guess.
He’s been our best defender since the day he signed. Changed our defence from a bomb scare into one that was very hard to beat. Even against top European sides. He’s made mistakes that have led to goals yes, but there’s not many CH in world football who haven’t.
His organisational skills were, and are obvious. And every player who has played with him have said this to be the case.
I was delighted for him on Saturday.

What first team squad players are in the last year of their contract?

He may just fancy seeing out his contract with us and getting a big payday by signing on a free for somebody regardless, it's not really worth speculating on at this point.

If that's the case, you'd imagine that we will either look to sell him in the summer or we replace him with someone younger when the time comes. That's the model we should be operating by anyway.

As good as he is, he'll be almost 30 by then and we may well need to freshen things up.
I know what your saying but 30 for a centre half is nothing these days and Rangers have a history of 30 something centre halves.

Back