The importance of improving our European coefficient

Punt13

I was looking at our current coefficient and noticed that in the Champions League we would have been unseeded for all four rounds (unless we took over a defeated opponents seeding).

Our coefficient for next season currently stands at 7.75 which would only be good enough for QR1 seeding in the CL and QR1 and QR2 for the EL.

It definitely shows us how important the games against Legia and getting into the group stages are for our future seeding and progress.

The damage done to our club on and off the park the past seven years has been horrific .

We are still in recovery mode on all fronts . We just need patience .
Sadly I think a lot of people forget this part when looking at seedings etc.

Whilst the current feel good factor is welcome, we have a long way to go to be back where we were. So patience has to be shown, without question.

Can we please worry about next years seeding - next year?

Qualification for the Europa League this year - with the significant additional income (together with enhanced reputation and player experience) must be the only concern regards Europe.

CL seeding only an issue when we win the league and when we accomplish that feat - who will care about seeding?

We will get there and it will be even sweeter when we do. We’ve lost a decade in reality. It will be another couple of years until we can get back all that we lost.

We have a very inexperienced team regarding Europe. Most of the team hadn't played in Europe it was a good learning curve last season. The new players this season is a first for them so far we have done well.

Sadly I think a lot of people forget this part when looking at seedings etc.

Whilst the current feel good factor is welcome, we have a long way to go to be back where we were. So patience has to be shown, without question.

I totally agree and it will take time and patience and we will get back to where we were.

I know what has happened over the last several years has set us back immeasurably but it was just to show where we are and how far we have to go :)

I think it would be a big struggle to qualify for the CL groups if we won the league. We'd be unseeded in all but the first round which would make it tough. Hopefully we could at least get to the playoff round to guarantee European group stage football.

Thinking a bit too far ahead though...

The damage done by the spivs could take another five years to undo in European terms. I think Legia have a coefficient rating of 24.000 which tells how far behind we are. We must be the lowest ranked side still left in the competition.

The damage done by the spivs could take another five years to undo in European terms. I think Legia have a coefficient rating of 24.000 which tells how far behind we are. We must be the lowest ranked side still left in the competition.

Linfield surely.

Linfield surely.

Suduva (4.25) are playing Ferencvaros (3.5) in the playoff so one of them will be in the groups
Riga (1.125) are playing Copenhagen
Ararat (1.05) are playing Dudelange
Linfield (2.25) are playing Qarabag
Bnei Yehuda (3.725) are playing Malmo

From the Champions League playoffs Cluj (3.5) will drop in to Europa League Groups if they lose to Sparta Prague

We would need a huge slice of luck in the draws.
This year for example we could possibly be drawn with Ajax and Porto.

We couldn't have drawn Porto as they were in the other side of the draw, Celtic were the 2nd seed behind Ajax out of the all the teams in the 'champions' route, ignoring Ajax the rest of the seeded teams were the champions of Denmark, Croatia, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Slovenia, Serbia, Norway & Azerbaijan,

2 points for a win, 1 for a draw.

Guaranteed 3 points just by being there so the points only increase from 3 after 2 wins for example.

I'm not sure this is right - last season we only got 5 points in total, from qualifying and the group stage. We won 1, drew 3 and lost 2. Based on this that would have given us 8 points from the group stage alone.

My understanding was that points are now based more on how far you progress rather than your results once you're there.

ps - UEFA changed how they calculated the points a year or two back to base more emphasis on progression. Used the excuse of clubs dropping from one competition to the next.

I may be understanding this wrong. From 2018/19 you get a minimum 3 points for qualifying to the Europa League group stage, and are guaranteed at least a further 2 points for being in the group.

This was the total number of points we earned last year - 3 for qualifying plus 2 for being in the group stage.

You can also earn 2 points for a win, 1 point for a draw. But for these to count you need to earn more than the minimum number of points you've earned to that point.

So from the group we got 1 win (2 points) plus 3 draws (3 points), a total of 5 points. As this is the same as the minimum guaranteed points we don't get any more.

ie - had we won 2 and drawn 2 (6 points) that would have been the total points earned last season, but had we won 0 and drawn 4 (4 points) we'd have still got the minimum guaranteed points (5 points).

Seems a bit messed up - think it's actually to stop clubs massing up points through qualifying when the 'big' countries aren't participating.

You only get club points during qualifying when you are eliminated. Points are accumulated for match wins and draws (1 point for a win and 0.5 point for a draw) which go towards the national co-efficient.

Then it is a minimum of 3 points in the group stage before points start accumulating. So after 2 wins or 4 draws it would be 4 points.

I may be understanding this wrong. From 2018/19 you get a minimum 3 points for qualifying to the Europa League group stage, and are guaranteed at least a further 2 points for being in the group.

This was the total number of points we earned last year - 3 for qualifying plus 2 for being in the group stage.

You can also earn 2 points for a win, 1 point for a draw. But for these to count you need to earn more than the minimum number of points you've earned to that point.

So from the group we got 1 win (2 points) plus 3 draws (3 points), a total of 5 points. As this is the same as the minimum guaranteed points we don't get any more.

ie - had we won 2 and drawn 2 (6 points) that would have been the total points earned last season, but had we won 0 and drawn 4 (4 points) we'd have still got the minimum guaranteed points (5 points).

Seems a bit messed up - think it's actually to stop clubs massing up points through qualifying when the 'big' countries aren't participating.
I believe your last paragraph is right, yet they still have the totting up of booking in qualifying that can lead to a player suspension in a later qualifying round, which also benefits the bigger countries as their sides enter qualifying later. A sham.

Indeed. I reckon we'd get through the Champions League qualifiers with the current squad.

We'd be favourites in every game if we were seeded. Not sure that would be the case if we were unseeded. But even being favourites doesn't mean it isn't possible to fuck it up.

I'm not sure this is right - last season we only got 5 points in total, from qualifying and the group stage. We won 1, drew 3 and lost 2. Based on this that would have given us 8 points from the group stage alone.

My understanding was that points are now based more on how far you progress rather than your results once you're there.

ps - UEFA changed how they calculated the points a year or two back to base more emphasis on progression. Used the excuse of clubs dropping from one competition to the next.

Yes you can basically win a game (2 points) and draw a game (1 point) in the group stage and at that point you break even with what you have already accumulated (minimum of 3 points for reaching the group stage). What Ter was saying above was that you need to win 2 games (4 points) before you increase start to increase your coefficient.

Ideally we'd be looking to get to the group and win 2 games and draw a game (5 points). If we can do that this season and next season, we would be on 15.25 points which is probably just about enough to be seeded for the 4th qualifying round of the Europa League.

Yes you can basically win a game (2 points) and draw a game (1 point) in the group stage and at that point you break even with what you have already accumulated (minimum of 3 points for reaching the group stage). What Ter was saying above was that you need to win 2 games (4 points) before you increase start to increase your coefficient.

Ideally we'd be looking to get to the group and win 2 games and draw a game (5 points). If we can do that this season and next season, we would be on 15.25 points which is probably just about enough to be seeded for the 4th qualifying round of the Europa League.

Going off this year's seedings, that wouldn't be enough to have us seeded in the 4th round.

Can we please worry about next years seeding - next year?

Qualification for the Europa League this year - with the significant additional income (together with enhanced reputation and player experience) must be the only concern regards Europe.

CL seeding only an issue when we win the league and when we accomplish that feat - who will care about seeding?
It’s not something that needs separating. Wins, or draws, this year help the seeding for next year.

Even if we only picked up 3 points per season for the next 3 we would still roughly be ranked around where Legia Warsaw are now which would be decent for seeding. Qualifying for the groups or maybe even further would see us shoot straight up

Back