The importance of Sunday coming

I don’t really buy into stuff like that , the way I see it To win the league we need to go and win at these places and prove we are good enough , we shouldn’t fear going to Aberdeen etc , but can see your point.
Totally agree....just seems very suspect! But.......doing it the hard way is the only way to shut people up!

The problem is you just can't know where you'll drop the points. We could drop points at Killie and still win the league.

I understand though it's about this team progressing but unless they collapse-which they are flirting with-it's going to a long tough road.

It’s more than that though. If we drop points with a similar performance and strategy as the games in 2018 & 2019 then lessons have not been learned and this season will likely end the same way as the last two.

Like you said, it’s about progression and we need to show we can find a way to score and get results in this type of game.

A weeks a long time in football I’m just taking it 1 game at a time.

I do however expect us to win but it will be a close game on that shocking carpet of pitch.

again any win will do me in games till next internationals.

The K’nock game on their artificial pitch will be the final test before I believe our team has turned a corner. I suspect we have but this game will provide the proof. We can expect a parked bus, a pitch that is a leveller and their usual suspects to try and kick and elbow us off the park. If we can rip them apart and manage to play our fast one touch attacking game (as I know we would on a grass pitch) and if we can go on relentlessly attacking and NOT letting them back into the game, then I’ll believe 100% 55 is on.

For me the corner will only be turned if we don’t collapse in the 2nd half of the season.

The K’nock game on their artificial pitch will be the final test before I believe our team has turned a corner. I suspect we have but this game will provide the proof. We can expect a parked bus, a pitch that is a leveller and their usual suspects to try and kick and elbow us off the park. If we can rip them apart and manage to play our fast one touch attacking game (as I know we would on a grass pitch) and if we can go on relentlessly attacking and NOT letting them back into the game, then I’ll believe 100% 55 is on.
Nonsense the only corner will be turned is when Tav is lifting the league title, nothing more and nothing less, one last chance.

We are going into the Killie game a much much better team that we were last season. In terms of depth and in terms of quality, we should be too much for them to handle over 90 mins.

Whilst I was delighted at the victory over Livi, we seemed to take the foot off the accelerator in the 2nd half and eased up. I don't think that we have yet developed that 'killer instinct', that desire to really crush our opponents - it's a quality that we need to cultivate.

I’m ignoring the old ‘one game at a time’ adage and looking ahead to Killie next Sunday. There’s so little margin for error it means every game is crucial but this one really stands out for me.

We’ve struggled there in the recent past and even at our best last season we only managed 5 league wins in a row a couple of times - we have 4 just now.

We won’t win every game this season but if we can win every game from now until the end of the year (including the 2nd of Jan) it’s looking like there’s a good chance the league might be beyond them and Lennon gone.

Nothing is won yet, we’re (realistically) 3 points ahead, if they were to hire a sober, semi-competent manager who could get edourd to turn up they’d likely go on a run of beating all the rest. So before they do that we really need to apply the pressure on.

Sunday is probably the toughest game left this calendar year for us (on paper at least) if we can win that the pressure might be too much for Lennon to deal with.
Sense at last.We have a long long way to go if we are indeed to win anything.Win each game as it comes,nothing else matters.

The fact that a midweek euro game barely merits my attention speaks volumes. Never hungered for a title so much since the nine in a row season.

Every game is going to be a challenge. Some more than others. I’d prefer to start with the team that beat the mentally challengeds and have Aribo, Hagi & Roofe to come on 2nd half if need be. Maybe Jones for Barker. That’s our strongest team so far. Stick with it.

I'm quietly terrified.....

Joking aside its a worry. As much as we have clearly gotten better, and Kilmarnock worse. We have been awful there recently, and also have a terrible record of putting pressure on Celtic when the opportunity arises.

Take a scrappy 1-0 now

There's an element of comfort to take from having a bigger and more talented squad at our disposal this year. Would really hope that thursdays team is rotated slightly to keep the team fresh for the energy we're going to need against killie.

It's a huge day, not only for the 3 points, but even more so mentally.

We need to treat it as we did the tims away.

May not be the worst thing for us if the tims beat the sheep later on that day as it gives them an extra game and might keep Lennon in a job longer.

Tin hat on.

Too much importance being lumped onto this game imo. It's just another game that we need to go and win. Killie aren't the same side as they were under Clarke. They have been a bogey team for us in recent seasons but we have also battered them on a couple of occasions as well when we have turned up.

The pitch is an issue when it's dry but the weather looks like it will be wet all week so this should make the pitch a little bit slicker and suit us.

It's crucial in the sense that we need to win to put the pressure on Celtic but this game isn't anymore crucial than if it were another team we were away to. Hibs and Sheep away are tougher assingments this season and Dundee Utd look like being a stuffy team to beat as well.

I fully expect to go here and win on Sunday but nothing will be decided on Sunday no matter what the result is.

Sad state of affairs when you dread us going to Rugby Park. I'd imagine we've dropped more points there than any other venue since we came back to the top flight.

The way we have been playing with the rotation of the squad and players coming back to fitness there is nothing to say we can't win both Thursday and Sunday's games. A tricky game yesterday was made routine with our 4th striker scoring one of the goals of the season. Rugby Park is a bit of a bogey ground but if we make the right selections in the middle of the park, hopefully Davis and Kamara (although I thought Jack was very good vs Livi) alongside one of Aribo or Arfield as the more attacking of the 3 is good enough to deal with they animals Power and Dicker who will just try and boot lumps out of everything

I reckon we can afford to drop another 10 points all season and that would give us 100 points, we might not even need as much as that but a win over Killie would be huge as we do seem struggle there.

It won't be pretty so ill take any win now even if we play pish and nick it at the end.

I'm confident though we will go there and turn it on and show everyone that we are ready this season and nobody will stop us.

Had a look at our league record against Kilmarnock from 2016 to date.

Home: Played 8 / Won: 1 / Draw: 6 / Loss:1
Away: Played 8 / Won: 1/ Draw: 4 / Loss: 3

Big game next week.
League games since season 16/17 I make it:

Home: Played 10 / Won: 3 / Draw: 6 / Loss:1
Away: Played 9 / Won: 1 / Draw: 4 / Loss: 4

Its appalling.

Edited to include this seasons win. One comfort is that although it’s only 4 wins from 19, we’ve beaten them 3 out of the last 4, twice at Ibrox and once down there (Goldson late winner).

Last edited:
League games since season 16/17 I make it:

Home: Played 9 / Won: 2 / Draw: 6 / Loss:1
Away: Played 9 / Won: 1 / Draw: 4 / Loss: 4

Its appalling.

That is grim. The away stats I can believe, but I had no idea the home ones were as bad. The saving grace maybe being that one of those wins was this season, and we look a lot more capable of cracking ten-man defences.

I’m ignoring the old ‘one game at a time’ adage and looking ahead to Killie next Sunday. There’s so little margin for error it means every game is crucial but this one really stands out for me.

We’ve struggled there in the recent past and even at our best last season we only managed 5 league wins in a row a couple of times - we have 4 just now.

We won’t win every game this season but if we can win every game from now until the end of the year (including the 2nd of Jan) it’s looking like there’s a good chance the league might be beyond them and Lennon gone.

Nothing is won yet, we’re (realistically) 3 points ahead, if they were to hire a sober, semi-competent manager who could get edourd to turn up they’d likely go on a run of beating all the rest. So before they do that we really need to apply the pressure on.

Sunday is probably the toughest game left this calendar year for us (on paper at least) if we can win that the pressure might be too much for Lennon to deal with.
Obviously not looking too far ahead, however what I would like to see is a run of 8+ league wins in a row. You’re right in highlighting this team hasn’t done it yet and imo it’s a must for a potential title winning Rangers team.

Every game is as important as the next. We have to keep winning and put pressure on that lot. We keep winning the gap stays the same or better still grows. Come the final whistle at Ibrox at the next OF game I’d love us to be clear of these bastards.

That is grim. The away stats I can believe, but I had no idea the home ones were as bad. The saving grace maybe being that one of those wins was this season, and we look a lot more capable of cracking ten-man defences.
Actually I had missed this seasons win. Edited my post now, but it remains horrific.

I agree.

I'm also a bit concerned about the over confidence I must admit. Don't get me wrong, we're playing fantastic and the tims are going through a rough patch, but they've shown they can go on a run when it matters, we havent, yet.

Kilmarnock is massive, if we draw or lose then all that hard work is out the window and it gives the tims a huge boost and they'll just think we're bottlers again.

We know we can get in front in the league, we know that in OF games we have their number, but it's staying ahead and being consistent that is our next huge huge hurdle.

Too much importance being lumped onto this game imo. It's just another game that we need to go and win. Killie aren't the same side as they were under Clarke. They have been a bogey team for us in recent seasons but we have also battered them on a couple of occasions as well when we have turned up.

The pitch is an issue when it's dry but the weather looks like it will be wet all week so this should make the pitch a little bit slicker and suit us.

It's crucial in the sense that we need to win to put the pressure on Celtic but this game isn't anymore crucial than if it were another team we were away to. Hibs and Sheep away are tougher assingments this season and Dundee Utd look like being a stuffy team to beat as well.

I fully expect to go here and win on Sunday but nothing will be decided on Sunday no matter what the result is.
All this may be true but the unavoidable fact is we have a bloody terrible recent record at Kilmarnock . The huns have already drawn there this season where they should’ve had edourd sent off , they will kick us off the park as usual . I think we can win yes but I’d say this is a major test of how far we have come , if we go there and get a win confidence levels will soar . It’s a massive game mentally be in no doubt .

I get people saying it’s a massive game, but the biggest of the season? The three Euro qualifiers, the league opener at Sheepland and the first OF were bigger. I’d rank it the 6th most vital we’ve played.

Great opportunity for us to go 9 clear. Kilmarnock have been somewhat of a bogey team for us since returning to the top flight so this will be a good test for us to see if we have the bottle for the title fight.

I get people saying it’s a massive game, but the biggest of the season? The three Euro qualifiers, the league opener at Sheepland and the first OF were bigger. I’d rank it the 6th most vital we’ve played.
I don’t have the knowledge but someone will know how many wins we have had in our last ten visits to Kilmarnock . At a guess I’d say maybe 2 wins from 10 ? That’s why it’s seen as such a massive hurdle for us . Two seasons in a row the wheels came off our season on that plastic abberation . Sunday needs to be different .

I don’t have the knowledge but someone will know how many wins we have had in our last ten visits to Kilmarnock . At a guess I’d say maybe 2 wins from 10 ? That’s why it’s seen as such a massive hurdle for us . Two seasons in a row the wheels came off our season on that plastic abberation . Sunday needs to be different .
Post #126 mate. We’ve won just once in our last 9 League visits - and that was last season.

From a glance since Gerrard came in we’ve won/drawn/lost against Killie 6/3/3. Versus the sheep it’s 4/5/3, mentally challengeds 4/4/0, so statistically the sheep have taken more points from us under Gerrard. Understand the game is massive just surprised so many are describing it as the biggest so far.

It is a massive game, especially with Celtic not playing in the league this weekend. It is another opportunity to add pressure on to them by racking up points. It will be very difficult, we always struggle down there, the plus side is at least we don't have travel days from Europe this week.

I would expect the squad to be used again massively over the next two games.

From a glance since Gerrard came in we’ve won/drawn/lost against Killie 6/3/3. Versus the sheep it’s 4/5/3, mentally challengeds 4/4/0, so statistically the sheep have taken more points from us under Gerrard. Understand the game is massive just surprised so many are describing it as the biggest so far.
It is the ground we have the worst record at is why , one win from nine , I find it incredible . It needs to change .

It's the same 3 points you get for beating anyone else but the timing, opponent and ground make it more significant for me.

Because of our record there in recent years cel'ic will know there is a decent chance of us dropping points. If we do then they will view it as 'see, their bottle crashes when they have a chance to take the lead', if we get full points then it will deflate them and ramp the pressure right up.

I expect that they'll get beat midweek, that'll be 3 defeats in 4 games with 1 draw. If we continue to win they'll be under real pressure for probably the first time since pre-2012.

If we drop anything then it's either 0/1 point difference in reality. They would be delighted with that given how horrific they've been.

If we win all our games up to and including the 2nd of JAN something will crack over there, either their board, lennon or their fans.

It's just another 3 points but psychologically it's much, much bigger than that.

It's the same 3 points you get for beating anyone else but the timing, opponent and ground make it more significant for me.

Because of our record there in recent years cel'ic will know there is a decent chance of us dropping points. If we do then they will view it as 'see, their bottle crashes when they have a chance to take the lead', if we get full points then it will deflate them and ramp the pressure right up.

I expect that they'll get beat midweek, that'll be 3 defeats in 4 games with 1 draw. If we continue to win they'll be under real pressure for probably the first time since pre-2012.

If we drop anything then it's either 0/1 point difference in reality. They would be delighted with that given how horrific they've been.

If we win all our games up to and including the 2nd of JAN something will crack over there, either their board, lennon or their fans.

It's just another 3 points but psychologically it's much, much bigger than that.
Majestically put .

I understand what you're saying. It's crucial in the sense of putting the pressure on them, no more than that for me. If we win on Sunday I'm not suddenly thinking the league is in the bag or it's a huge psychological boost for our squad because we've won down a Killie. It will be just another 3 points for me, and I am sure the players are looking at it that way as well. It's not anymore important than yesterday was.

Aberdeen were a bit of a bogey team for us as well under Gerrard, we went to Pittodrie first game of the season and won then we dropped points at Livi a couple of games later.

I hope the players have the same mindset I have looking at Sunday because if we start looking ahead that's when points get dropped. One game at a time, just dust them all off one by one and stick the 3 points in the bag.

All this may be true but the unavoidable fact is we have a bloody terrible recent record at Kilmarnock . The huns have already drawn there this season where they should’ve had edourd sent off , they will kick us off the park as usual . I think we can win yes but I’d say this is a major test of how far we have come , if we go there and get a win confidence levels will soar . It’s a massive game mentally be in no doubt .

Eh? You on the right forum?

This is our results at Rugby park since we came back up (most recent first)

2-1

1-2

2-1

0-0 (cup)

2-1

1-3

2-1

0-0

1-1

2 wins in 9. Really doesn't make good reading at all. So, the game will tell us a LOT about this team

All this talk of we have in the past struggled at Kilmarnock- yes we have but look more closely at why we struggled and you will see why this game now becomes another fixture.
Last season we had a good starting 11 but when injuries and suspensions came calling we had to rely on inferior journeymen to step up - Barasic out, Jack out, Morelos suspended, Helander injured, Jones injured chopping and changing from Early December - who came in from the bench Halliday, Polster, Edmundo, Flanagan, ojo, Murphy.and Lafferty all of whom fail to improve our team performance and are not considered first choice players
Now look at our current bench and each one is a first team pick waiting to come on when injuries or suspensions come the quality and team performance does not drop it improves and this is our strength in depth that has been lacking since we came back up, all the wrongs of the past are about to be rectified starting with Kilmarnock who preyed on our weaknesses and lack of cover

Back