The increasing prominence of woman's football - A dilemma!

I don't think it's 'women can do it too!', it's that woman can do it and want to do it.

If football was only about people wanting to watch the best football and best footballers, explain how 99.9% of clubs in Scotland exist and why we've got 40,000 turning up to watch us play Stranraer.

The best women will never beat the best men due to the physicality, but no cünt can tell me that if there was enough money invested in Women's football for it to be a viable career path for folk that it wouldn't produce better technical players than the likes of Stranraer.
Better 'technical' players not just better players?

'Technically' I'm every woman's dream date...until they see my coupon.Unfortunately it''s the complete package that counts.

I might just be closed minded but I've never got into it. My cousin used to play for Arsenal ladies and I seen a couple of games which was good but just felt too flat and slow. Not seen a game in the last few years so may be better quality now

Um, rules?

(not sure if this applies but anyway)

Sarah%203.png
FFS.

Burn the OP alongside his witch.

The standard of women's golf has improved dramatically over the last few years. Maybe football will follow but I'm not convinced,

Genuine question- How does women's golf compare to men's now it has improved? Are they still miles apart? I'm not familiar with golf, but as it isn't as physically demanding, I would think that women could get closer to men, but there could still be a difference in skill or distance they can drive.

Women's football will undoubtedly improve, I doubt it will ever reach even U-19's level though, as they get better, so do men and the gap just continues or grows.

I might just be closed minded but I've never got into it. My cousin used to play for Arsenal ladies and I seen a couple of games which was good but just felt too flat and slow. Not seen a game in the last few years so may be better quality now

I knew a girl that was capped a few times by the Scotland senior side and even she has no time for watching it, says it is basically a different sport for spectators.

I knew a girl that was capped a few times by the Scotland senior side and even she has no time for watching it, says it is basically a different sport for spectators.

That's what I'm getting at. Maybe they should just stick to beach volleyball and tennis?

That's what I'm getting at. Maybe they should just stick to beach volleyball and tennis?

They can play the game, football is a great game to play regardless of your sex. There is no need for it being forced on supporters though and being shamed cause you say it is pish.

Reactions: tam
I think we're wise to invest in the women's game, given that more than 50% of the population is female. Regarding the question in the OP, I would have to say no.

Liked the world cup but not into club football.
I genuinely watched some Women's World Cup games with an open mind but I just couldn't get into it. I'd heard that what it maybe lacked in full on blood and snotters, it was full of skill and excitement to rival the men's game. Instead the keepers were of a quality that even Zaire circa 1974 would have laughed at.

Even if the standard improved I dont think I would be able to fully enjoy it the way I do mens football. There is no history there and I haven't grown up with it so no emotional attachment. Even watching other teams other than rangers there is a back story and history there. Just because a womens team share the same name it's not the same club.

Im in no way a sexist, but there are too many sports out there that are better to watch than women’s football. Good luck to the Rangers Ladies team and all that but I doubt I’ll be watching.

I just can’t get into womens football. Maybe it’s the slower pace and atrocious defending but it’s just a different game.

Dare I ask why beach volleyball and tennis? Although I cant say I disagree with you. Definitely 2 sports where I prefer the female game due to its competitive nature.

I genuinely watched some Women's World Cup games with an open mind but I just couldn't get into it. I'd heard that what it maybe lacked in full on blood and snotters, it was full of skill and excitement to rival the men's game. Instead the keepers were of a quality that even Zaire circa 1974 would have laughed at.
Best bits were the VAR decisions and the meltdowns after them. I genuinely thought the Cameroonians (think it was them) were going to walk off.

With the female game getting more and more coverage, and our own attempts, as well as the scums, at making a serious go of this, I see a great dilemma on the horizon.

I see they have just signed one Sarah Teegarden, an attractive specimen by all accounts (google her, can't seem to post pics just now).

Now fellow bears, where do we stand in this? Is a ham shank acceptable if the filly has adorned the green and grey?
That would be a no from me.

Hopefully it takes off and all the stunners realise they get can get more famous playing fitba instead of love island. Then we can press ahead with our plans for the lingerie cup. :p
The Americans tried this with women’s NFL, the Lingerie League I think it was called.
Surprisingly it didn’t really take off.

Why do they all have female pundits have haircuts like Something About Mary?

Kidding aside, Glasgow City are doing well but, so are the Bears with the new signing.
Still can't see how she can play with those puppies. Im going just for research purposes.

Good luck to the woman footballers but any time I’ve watched the standards are low so give it 5 minutes before I start something else (normally rubbing one out)

'Techincal' referring to technique — better at playing football.
Only one element though isn't it. There are loads of ball juggling wankers (not in the sexual sense) that appear as TV circus acts doing keepy up as they climb Ben Nevis. They do unbelievable things to their balls, but they ain't footballers. Ample skill but no stamina, slow, lacking physicality, no positional sense (how many women can read a map?), nae team ethic. So technique on its own isn't enough.
If you were right, which your not, women's teams should be replacing men's teams. In other words it's spectacularly daft.

Most people agree that women's football is generally of a lower standard but the bigger dilemma is that recently the Australian women's team won the right to equal pay! Who's going to pay for all that?
PS green and grey hoops are proven to melt bone.

There’s too much football on the tele as it is, you could literally watch it every day if you wanted to. Shoving substandard women’s football down our throats wont help anything.

I’m not interested in it at all and wish the media would stop sticking it in our faces. The attendances are up, but I’m sure the SFA hand out thousands of free tickets....although they do that for the men’s national team now too.

Had no interest at all previously. The World Cup was decent enough to watch but the fact our club are investing heavily has me actively interested. I think once our women’s team start winning trophies more fans will get involved.

Women arent athletic enough to play football worth watching, with the lady goalies being particularly woeful.

Only one element though isn't it. There are loads of ball juggling wankers (not in the sexual sense) that appear as TV circus acts doing keepy up as they climb Ben Nevis. They do unbelievable things to their balls, but they ain't footballers. Ample skill but no stamina, slow, lacking physicality, no positional sense (how many women can read a map?), nae team ethic. So technique on its own isn't enough.
If you were right, which your not, women's teams should be replacing men's teams. In other words it's spectacularly daft.

You’re making up stuff that I haven’t even said. Why would women’s team replace men’s teams?

My point is simply that women’s football is poor because of lack of investment and proper coaching. Unfortunately the female coaches now most likely weren’t very good because of the same reasons, so poor footballers and coaches are coaching them.

With time and proper investment the standard of football would shoot right up. That includes technique, positional sense, stamina, pace (despite what you might think, women can learn to read maps and you don’t need a map to play football).

They’d never match the physicality of men so wouldn’t be able to compete with the top teams but that doesn’t mean every men’s team could beat ever woman’s team simply because of physicality (e.g. Stranraer vs Barca Women’s 2030). They wouldn’t compete anyway so it doesn’t matter, my point is simply that the standard could get to a level that it would draw interest and that it’s a valid endeavour.

Watched 10 mins of a game in the world cup and it was enough to convince me never to watch again. Awful

You’re making up stuff that I haven’t even said. Why would women’s team replace men’s teams?

My point is simply that women’s football is poor because of lack of investment and proper coaching. Unfortunately the female coaches now most likely weren’t very good because of the same reasons, so poor footballers and coaches are coaching them.

With time and proper investment the standard of football would shoot right up. That includes technique, positional sense, stamina, pace (despite what you might think, women can learn to read maps and you don’t need a map to play football).

They’d never match the physicality of men so wouldn’t be able to compete with the top teams but that doesn’t mean every men’s team could beat ever woman’s team simply because of physicality (e.g. Stranraer vs Barca Women’s 2030). They wouldn’t compete anyway so it doesn’t matter, my point is simply that the standard could get to a level that it would draw interest and that it’s a valid endeavour.
So by your own admission they will never compete against the better mens teams, yet people will choose (in numbets) to watch this second rate product?

Never going to happen mate.

Top level mens and top level womens football are different games, and it's not just down to quality. I'm sure we've all seen some great lower league, junior or even amateur games where the quality isn't great but the commitment and passion are what make them a great watch. Does the women's game maybe lack the aggression of the men's game (aggression = commitment + passion????). Is that aggression being fuelled by the genetic difference in men with regards testosterone levels??
My wee niece plays for Rangers and while I'm super-chuffed for her, I've had this type of argument with family members numerous times. Their argument being that the Rangers women's youths teams are more technically gifted than boys as they are playing (and gubbing) boys teams an age group above them. This is true, but the teams they are playing are nowhere near the standard of proper football academy's hence the advantage. I ask them what the score would be if they played their same age group boy's team at Rangers???
I hope that women's football prospers and becomes a success on its own right, but it should never be gauged against men's football. It isn't a fair comparison.

So by your own admission they will never compete against the better mens teams, yet people will choose (in numbets) to watch this second rate product?

Never going to happen mate.

People watch your Motherwell’s, Hamilton’s, Scotland in general, all the lower league English teams etc. etc.

Very few people watch football to see the best football available

Genuine question- How does women's golf compare to men's now it has improved? Are they still miles apart? I'm not familiar with golf, but as it isn't as physically demanding, I would think that women could get closer to men, but there could still be a difference in skill or distance they can drive.

Women's football will undoubtedly improve, I doubt it will ever reach even U-19's level though, as they get better, so do men and the gap just continues or grows.
Men drive longer distance and it appears to me that they are also better putters but they are no longer miles apart. Asian women golfers for instance are trained in golf full time from an early age. As a bonus women golfers are generally much better looking than they were many years ago and makes their game an enjoyable spectator sport.

Women arent athletic enough to play football worth watching, with the lady goalies being particularly woeful.
The standard is definitely rising, thanks to Hope Solo especially.

Watched an Aussie W league match recently on some odd sports channel and was pleasantly surprised. However, it's a long way from the likes of the Irish League let alone the Premier League.

With the female game getting more and more coverage, and our own attempts, as well as the scums, at making a serious go of this, I see a great dilemma on the horizon.

I see they have just signed one Sarah Teegarden, an attractive specimen by all accounts (google her, can't seem to post pics just now).

Now fellow bears, where do we stand in this? Is a ham shank acceptable if the filly has adorned the green and grey?
If I were @DocStone i would revoke your lounge access for that

Cant get into it tbh, in saying that, when the women's world cup was on, my 2 girls were outside every night kicking the ball in the park.

I also wouldn’t really say women’s football is being “shoved” down people’s throats as some say. If it’s on and you like it, watch it. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it? It’s not as if it’s being broadcast ahead of premier league or first team Rangers matches

Feels like it’s being rammed down our throats. BBC especially. It’s sheidt and will never ever be anything close to the men’s game.

Back