The Internet And The Effects It Has On Supporting Rangers..Or Any Team

hammer17

Official Ticketer
Im in my late 30s and my first proper memories of football was the first game I attended v Bordeaux under the lights in a friendly, ive spoke about it many times on here when I walked up the stairs in the govan rear to see the pitch and main stand in front of me, its something that will stay with me forever. Also the 5-1 game with Wilkins volley I remember listening to the game with my dad and waiting patiently for the highlights that night, coupled with Italia 90 and the Champions League run of 92/93 these are my most prominent memories from my younger days.

Supporting rangers in my late teens was phenomenal, 9 in a row then the Advocaat era where we played some of the finest football ive ever seen coupled with some unbelievable talent, but these times we relied solely on the printed press, news bulletins on TV and radio and the weekly walk to the newsagents for the Rangers News..and hopefully a decent poster.

Fast forward to now and I literally think about Rangers 24/7, it consumes me. When we aren't playing I am counting the days until the next game, spending stupid amounts of time on Follow Follow, Facebook and Instagram watching videos and seeing what the players are doing on a day to day basis, its literally a full time job supporting Rangers now to a almost unhealthy status :))

Now when I park the car just off shieldhall rd and walk the mile to my seat I know pretty much to the second when I can check Instagram and see the team line up, 25 years ago we waited for the team to be announced over the tannoy or if we were lucky someone next to us had a wireless.

I know I have kinda went off on a tangent but thinking about how we support our team now and say 20 years ago its a phenomenal difference, Rangers literally are my life now, they always were but in much small doses

Good or bad?

Seriously though I’m much the same. When I was a wean I could focus on other things between games. But having access to the forum, heart and hand etc means I think about it far more. I enjoy it though so it’s certainly not a bad thing.

Seriously though I’m much the same. When I was a wean I could focus on other things between games. But having access to the forum, heart and hand etc means I think about it far more. I enjoy it though so it’s certainly not a bad thing.

this is the main point I am getting at, I think it makes loses and defeats even harder to take as every single game has a massive build up...purely made by yourself. Theres just no switching off from it

Internet has certainly got us taking up 99% of days as said it was match day, highlights, papers, Rangers news years ago now everything is at your finger tips 24/7

Last edited:
The magnitude of this season also has made it more crazy... took well over a day to get over that sheep result last week although vs the unwashed It confirmed man fir man we are better than them and it was just one of those games that happen. Was still gutted bigtime but I want our trophy back in April , it will be like no other and I want to see the pain in those bad.tards , players fans and media

Totally all consuming. On here all throughout the day, every morning I download the Rangers Radio show from the night before to listen to on my way to work, listen to heart and hand daily update on the way home everyday. It's an obsession.

Match threads on FF; roll calls for each game; previews on H&H; pre-match press conferences on RTV; my son following various twitter and Instagram feeds for news.

It’s all very different from when I first started going to games regularly, and it’s all on the internet. Maybe it’s because everything is much more quickly and easily available now, it’s occupying more of our thoughts.

I think what you describe with relying on newspapers, radio and tannoy announcements is still the norm for most fans. Only a tiny percentage of the support use forums or use social media to the extent most people on forums do.

I think what you describe with relying on newspapers, radio and tannoy announcements is still the norm for most fans. Only a tiny percentage of the support use forums or use social media to the extent most people on forums do.

im not sure the exact demographic of say a 50k full house at Ibrox but id be happy to wager its far more than a 'tiny percentage'

theres no way that its the norm for the majority of fans to rely on newspapers and radio, hell even my granddad is internet savvy, both on his phone and in the house

Im in my late 30s and my first proper memories of football was the first game I attended v Bordeaux under the lights in a friendly, ive spoke about it many times on here when I walked up the stairs in the govan rear to see the pitch and main stand in front of me, its something that will stay with me forever. Also the 5-1 game with Wilkins volley I remember listening to the game with my dad and waiting patiently for the highlights that night, coupled with Italia 90 and the Champions League run of 92/93 these are my most prominent memories from my younger days.

Supporting rangers in my late teens was phenomenal, 9 in a row then the Advocaat era where we played some of the finest football ive ever seen coupled with some unbelievable talent, but these times we relied solely on the printed press, news bulletins on TV and radio and the weekly walk to the newsagents for the Rangers News..and hopefully a decent poster.

Fast forward to now and I literally think about Rangers 24/7, it consumes me. When we aren't playing I am counting the days until the next game, spending stupid amounts of time on Follow Follow, Facebook and Instagram watching videos and seeing what the players are doing on a day to day basis, its literally a full time job supporting Rangers now to a almost unhealthy status :))

Now when I park the car just off shieldhall rd and walk the mile to my seat I know pretty much to the second when I can check Instagram and see the team line up, 25 years ago we waited for the team to be announced over the tannoy or if we were lucky someone next to us had a wireless.

I know I have kinda went off on a tangent but thinking about how we support our team now and say 20 years ago its a phenomenal difference, Rangers literally are my life now, they always were but in much small doses

Good or bad?

The 5-1 highlights were the following day on Scotsport, not that night on sportscene

Every sneeze kick and piss is under the microscope when it comes to our club, it’s difficult to imagine how our support would develop without technology especially after what happened a few years ago. Then again, every club, group, band, company and political movement are in the same boat.

One thing I know for sure, Flump n BoJo wouldn’t be in power

Back