The Iron Curtain: 6 great Rangers players, 3169 appearances

dh1963

The treble has now been won 13 times, Rangers still lead Celtic 7-6.

Our first treble, back in season 1948/49, is probably the least celebrated of those record 7 trebles we have won.

A last-day dramatic title win at Albion Rovers in the league, on a day the prolific Willie Thornton scored a hat-trick, saw the title regained from the great Hibs team of the time.

The League Cup was only in its third season, and Rangers won it for the second time, beating Raith Rovers 2-0 in the final.

The Scottish Cup was retained in front of 120,162 at Hampden as Clyde were beaten 4-1.

Rangers played a total of 44 games that season, and although the magnificent Thornton played a huge part in the clean sweep by scoring 34 goals, the triumph was built on the most famous defence in the history of the club, and of Scottish football.

In the days of the 3-2-5 formations Rangers line-up for virtually the whole season saw Bobby Brown in goal, full backs George Young and Jock Shaw either side of centre half Willie Woodburn, behind Ian McColl and Sammy Cox at half back.

This was the great Iron Curtain.

In that season of 44 games, Bobby Brown played in all 44. George Young in 42. Jock Shaw captained the side and appeared 41 times. Willie Woodburn played in 42 games. Ian McColl in 41 matches. And Sammy Cox made 43 appearances.

The rocks on which Mr Struth built his latest great Rangers team were virtually ever-present, and such was their combination of ability, determination, dedication and organisation, they are remembered to this day. All 6 players gave Rangers at least a decade of service, and in total they played an almost unbelievable 3169 times for the club.

All 6 players are in the Hall of Fame, and they all deserve a place at the top table in among that company.

Their names, and the Iron Curtain nickname, will live on forever as part of the great history of The Rangers Football Club.

Amongst the countless medals and trophies they collected, they were the biggest reason why the first treble in the history of Scottish football was won.

I doubt there will ever be a defensive unit to rival them in terms of longevity, consistency and success. Anywhere.

Our first treble, back in season 1948/49, is probably the least celebrated of those record 7 trebles we have won.

A last-day dramatic title win at Albion Rovers in the league, on a day the prolific Willie Thornton scored a hat-trick, saw the title regained from the great Hibs team of the time.

The League Cup was only in its third season, and Rangers won it for the second time, beating Raith Rovers 2-0 in the final.

The Scottish Cup was retained in front of 120,162 at Hampden as Clyde were beaten 4-1.

Rangers played a total of 44 games that season, and although the magnificent Thornton played a huge part in the clean sweep by scoring 34 goals, the triumph was built on the most famous defence in the history of the club, and of Scottish football.

In the days of the 3-2-5 formations Rangers line-up for virtually the whole season saw Bobby Brown in goal, full backs George Young and Jock Shaw either side of centre half Willie Woodburn, behind Ian McColl and Sammy Cox at half back.

In that season of 44 games, Bobby Brown played in all 44. George Young in 42. Jock Shaw captained the side and appeared 41 times. Willie Woodburn played in 42 games. Ian McColl in 41 matches. And Sammy Cox made 43 appearances.

The rocks on which Mr Struth built his latest great Rangers team were virtually ever-present, and such was their combination of ability, determination, dedication and organisation, they are remembered to this day. All 6 players gave Rangers at least a decade of service, and in total they played an almost unbelievable 3169 times for the club.

All 6 players are in the Hall of Fame, and they all deserve a place at the top table in among that company.

Their names, and the Iron Curtain nickname, will live on forever as part of the great history of The Rangers Football Club.

Amongst the countless medals and trophies they collected, they were the biggest reason why the first treble in the history of Scottish football was won.

I doubt there will ever be a defensive unit to rival them in terms of longevity, consistency and success. Anywhere.

Terrific read mate.

Memories of my late grandpa come flooding back reading that.

That was his team and he never tired of telling the rest of the family about them.

Never tired of hearing about the iron curtain from my dad,was working one day,when a complete stranger from the gow stopped by my van ,to ask directions,he noticed my wee rangers badge and the conversation turned to the famous,told him about my dad and our second name being Italian (gip)I was called at school,glaswegian Italian Protestant,didnae worry says he,in Glasgow in the late 40's their was an Italian chipshop owner another Rangers man (gip) who everynight on closing would pull down his metal grill to cover the windows of his shop and always say'thats the iron curtain down' shops safe now!thanks for the post matebri gs back happy memories of me late dad!

Watched them many times. In later years I befriended Sammy Cox, he had some great stories. It always amused me that he was only twelve years older than me. He seemed so much wiser and worldly than me. He was in the end very unhappy and a prisoner in his own skin. Very sad.

Great post OP. Incredible statistics, but they were incredible men and athletes, they had to be to continually satisfy the demands made upon them by Mr. Struth. I envy all those who saw them play in that era.

My first Rangers team, Brown, Young and Shaw, McColl, Woodburn and Cox in defence still trips off the tongue 70 years later, also managed to meet a few of them in adulthood. Great memories of great players.

Not suggesting for a moment that our current defenders could match those legends but I’m wondering about how we’re going to line up especially at center half. Two with two backups on the bench, three with one maybe ?
Gerrard seems to have beefed this position up as a priority without any left back cover being signed as of yet so maybe a new formation is afoot.

The players would know each others games so well that the cover they would provide for each other would be telepathic.
In a similar era I think Spurs only used 14 or 15 players over an entire championship winning season.

Must have been 1951 or 1961 as they haven’t been prolific when it comes to titles.

Iron curtain made up of iron men.
Maybe we’re going to have an iron curtain lite this season. Those are 4 solid central defenders we have now.

The players would know each others games so well that the cover they would provide for each other would be telepathic.
In a similar era I think Spurs only used 14 or 15 players over an entire championship winning season.
believe villa done the same at some point late 70s early 80s , before my time tyho so dont quote me

There are many, including myself that consider George Young was a better centre half.

I am not trying start an argument, I was lucky enough to see them both, they were both great players, great Rangers icons, we were fortunate to have them in our famous Iron Curtain.

Both were in my old dad's Greatest team, he told me it often enough.

Goram
Young
Caldow
Greig
Woodburn
Baxter
Waddell
McMillan
Thornton
McCoist
Laudrup

Back