The Iron Curtain - Do we now have a modern day version?

To me the iron curtain is an absolute myth. We conceded no fewer goals during that period than we have at any time in our history. Whenever my late grandfather used to mention it I would be desperate to tell him to stop talking pish.

If this Rangers team make it to the end of the season conceding goals at the same rate we have been it will be our best ever defence by far. Shove your iron curtain up your fucking arse.

To me the iron curtain is an absolute myth. We conceded no fewer goals during that period than we have at any time in our history. Whenever my late grandfather used to mention it I would be desperate to tell him to stop talking pish.

If this Rangers team make it to the end of the season conceding goals at the same rate we have been it will be our best ever defence by far. Shove your iron curtain up your fucking arse.
WTF ????

A proper wanky reply mate.. well done you

Not sure about the Iron curtain, but i bet Baresi and Maldini will be showing their grandchildren videos of Goldson and Helander

You seem to be very angry about something your late grandad said about how good the Iron Curtain defence of the late 1940’s were but did not have the courage to disagree with him. I am not old enough to have seen the Iron Curtain defence but was happy to listen and learn from those family members who did. The last sentence of your post is just bizarre particularly coming from a Rangers supporter. As @Bluebearjim said, just be happy that we had the Iron Curtain defence then and a decent defence, so far, this season.

A myth that racked up 3169 Rangers appearances. I'd get a ban if I said what I think of your last sentence.

I have been watching professional football since the late seventies and in general I would say defenders now are not as good at defending. Could be many reasons for this as nowadays defenders are asked to do more than defend, possibly the defence are used to getting more protection from the midfielders and the forwards tracking back nowadays, also it's more difficult for defenders nowadays as any touch on a forward can be a foul.

The Iron curtain were all legends that played a huge number of games and won many trophies. Never saw any of them playing but from the way football has evolved since I've been watching it then I would expect defenders in those days didn't earn legendary status without earning it.

The defence are doing great this year but we need to consider the level of opposition and how often they attack. When we played a good team like Benfica we lost plenty goals.

Different days, different training methods, diet, different ball even
Brown, Young, Shaw. McColl, Woodburn and Cox. Now we have Greegs, Tav, Goldson, Helander?Balogun and Borna.
Lets be happy both played for THE Rangers.
WATP
As one who watched that team, which set the standard I judged all that followed, you could also throw in stronger level of opposition. As you say let’s be happy to have memories of so many great teams who have graced The Jersey over the years.

Ancient Loyal

That last comment is terrible, the players are from two completely different eras and I, unlike you, am proud of the fact that we are fortunate to have such fantastic players wearing the blue jersey of our famous club. Yes, our defence this season have been excellent , but you can't compare them with players that have played for us in the past. I actually find your comments rather disrespectful to the boys who were known as the iron curtain

I only saw some individuals of that era play out their careers , I listened then to fabled stories of those teams, from 1953 to 1969 I had the honour of watching our men in blue play for my beloved Rangers, to tell someone of my age that they can stick their " Iron Curtain up their arse " sorry I wont express my feelings on your comment, since I came to Canada I do not comment on a lot as most of my games are on t.v. or streamed thanks to my sons and grand daughter but I am as proud of this team as past ones , I will follow on till my last days, we have been through a lot but Rangers will go on even without me, Loud and Proud to the end rant over

I do not think shoving an iron curtain up our arses is a sensible thing to do unless you enjoy sadomasochistic activities

I only saw some individuals of that era play out their careers , I listened then to fabled stories of those teams, from 1953 to 1969 I had the honour of watching our men in blue play for my beloved Rangers, to tell someone of my age that they can stick their " Iron Curtain up their arse " sorry I wont express my feelings on your comment, since I came to Canada I do not comment on a lot as most of my games are on t.v. or streamed thanks to my sons and grand daughter but I am as proud of this team as past ones , I will follow on till my last days, we have been through a lot but Rangers will go on even without me, Loud and Proud to the end rant over
Well said Sir.

I believe the term 'Iron Curtain ' originated after the Moscow Dynamo game as the visitors had scored more goals against the other teams and for maybe the next five seasons we lost the least amount of goals in the League even when we never won it.
We also had a very settled defence that hardly ever changed
Apart from that, Who knows.

it Should be pointed out that the standard of the Scottish League was a lot higher back then. Scotland produced many top players and teams could hang on to them easier.

Just look at when European football started, Scottish teams regularly reached the latter stages (not just us and them).

I think Milan’s best goals against record in the 1990s (with Baresi and Maldini etc) was in 1993/94 when they conceded 15 goals in 34 games (0.44 goals per game). We have so far conceded 7 in 25 (0.28 goals per game). It does bear repeating that we are witnessing something extraordinary this season.

Your late grandfather wasn't on your christmas card list was he?
Calm it Janet. Only a wee discussion!

Any rebuke to the stats claim that they were no more defensively solid than sides of other eras?
In the 4 seasons after WW2 ended, Rangers had the lowest goals conceded every season. In those seasons the 6 great Rangers players who made up the Iron Curtain played the vast majority of the games. That defensive platform meant Rangers won 3 titles, 3 Scottish Cups and 2 League Cups at a time when there were several excellent teams in the league, including the best Hibs team ever. And this ignores their similar outstanding record during the War years when again they were the meanest defence, and again we won almost everything.
There were more goals scored in general back then, not just in Scotland but everywhere. We had a defence that conceded less than a goal a game consistently for years and years in a really competitive and high scoring era, and won many trophies.

You can use stats to suit all you like, maybe they would tell us Tavernier is better than Davie Cooper if we just use goals and assists. I look forward to someone trying to make that argument and calling Cooper a "myth".

This season is brilliant, our defence has been truly exceptional. No need to disrespect or rubbish the past though.

In the 4 seasons after WW2 ended, Rangers had the lowest goals conceded every season. In those seasons the 6 great Rangers players who made up the Iron Curtain played the vast majority of the games. That defensive platform meant Rangers won 3 titles, 3 Scottish Cups and 2 League Cups at a time when there were several excellent teams in the league, including the best Hibs team ever. And this ignores their similar outstanding record during the War years when again they were the meanest defence, and again we won almost everything.
There were more goals scored in general back then, not just in Scotland but everywhere. We had a defence that conceded less than a goal a game consistently for years and years in a really competitive and high scoring era, and won many trophies.

You can use stats to suit all you like, maybe they would tell us Tavernier is better than Davie Cooper if we just use goals and assists. I look forward to someone trying to make that argument and calling Cooper a "myth".

This season is brilliant, our defence has been truly exceptional. No need to disrespect or rubbish the past though.
Cooper wasn't that good for us, Neal Cooper that is

When I need a question in life answered I reach for my copy of Rangers The New Era. For a completely random selection of years I have gone for four great sides in our history.

For my grandfather I have taken 5 seasons, 1927-1928 to 1931-1932 when we won the League 4 times and were second once. In 190 League games, we lost 171 goals which is 0.90 goal per game.

For my Dad I have taken 5 seasons, 1946-47 to 1950-51 which covers the Iron Curtain side when we won the League 3 times and were second twice. In 150 League games, we lost 149 goals which is almost 1 goal per game.

For me as a nipper I have taken 1959-1960 to 1963-64 when we won the League 3 times, were second once and third once. In 170 League games, we lost 174 goals which is 1.04 goals per game.

If anyone is still awake, for me as a prematurely grey haired man, from Wiki, between 1986-87 to 1990-1991 when we won the League 4 times and were third once, in 196 League games, we lost only 125 goals which is 0.64 goals per game. In 1989-1990 we only lost 19 goals in 36 games but also managed to score only 48 League goals that year.

I suspect @Robert Marshall is correct re the Iron Curtain name being linked to the Moscow Dynamo game in 1945. Anyway, four great sides from the past and hopefully today’s players can emulate these and other great Rangers teams of the past.

The Iron Curtain had Six Scottish internationalist, when winning a cap meant something.

They also played against a far higher class of player on a weekly basis.

They are legends, and rightly so, to tell fans they should stick them up their a**** is disgraceful. Our present defence is doing a magnificent job, and rightly deserves all the praise it is getting, and long may it continue. They might be legends in our history in years to come, and will have earned our respect.

These players are Rangers legends for decades and yet you show a disrespectful attitude to everything they achieved for the club. You're actually a disgrace to call yourself a Rangers fan

Need a song for big Goldson:

He is the heart of our back four, Goldson, Goldson
The opposition score no more, Goldson, Goldson
He's 6 foot 3, he walks the talk
For 55, a defensive rock
Connor Goldson, the Rangers centre half

Last edited:

That’s extremely disrespectful and to be honest I doubt you are a rangers fan

The game has changed so much,I can go as far back as the 60s and if Tav and Borna were playing then the management would have chased them down Copland Road for crossing the half way line.No one even played it out from the back the ball was booted as far up the park as possible from either the goalie or full backs.
What the full backs could do is put in a decent tackle which is the weakest part of the modern full back
The first Rangers full back that ventured forward was the late great Sandy Jardine who started out as an attacking midfielder before becoming a world class fullback.

I think Milan’s best goals against record in the 1990s (with Baresi and Maldini etc) was in 1993/94 when they conceded 15 goals in 34 games (0.44 goals per game). We have so far conceded 7 in 25 (0.28 goals per game). It does bear repeating that we are witnessing something extraordinary this season.
Chelsea 04/05 was tremendous too
15 in 38 (I think).

Jesus Christ. Did Sammy Cox blast your grannie's hoop or something?

These players are Rangers legends for decades and yet you show a disrespectful attitude to everything they achieved for the club. You're actually a disgrace to call yourself a Rangers fan

We're all entitled to our opinions mate. In my eyes the defence of today would run all over the top of the so called "iron curtain", regardless of whether you think that opinion is disrespectful or not.

7 goals conceded in 25 matches. Do I need to say more? This type of defensive record domestically is virtually unheard of before. The only thing they're lacking right now is trophies. Once Tav gets his hands on 55 this season they will rightfully write their name into the history books as our greatest ever defence.

McGregor
McLaughlin
Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Balogun
Barisic

Legends in the making for this club. Live in the past all you want, but your fabled iron curtain is a myth. These boys are the only iron curtain in town. They've turned Ibrox into a modern day impenetrable fortress. 1 goal conceded at home all season. Remember the names.

We're all entitled to our opinions mate. In my eyes the defence of today would run all over the top of the so called "iron curtain", regardless of whether you think that opinion is disrespectful or not.

7 goals conceded in 25 matches. Do I need to say more? This type of defensive record domestically is virtually unheard of before. The only thing they're lacking right now is trophies. Once Tav gets his hands on 55 this season they will rightfully write their name into the history books as our greatest ever defence.

McGregor
McLaughlin
Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Balogun
Barisic

Legends in the making for this club. Live in the past all you want, but your fabled iron curtain is a myth. These boys are the only iron curtain in town. They've turned Ibrox into a modern day impenetrable fortress. 1 goal conceded at home all season. Remember the names.
It's not about living in the past because quite simply those players are part of our history as legends of the club and should be respected as such. For any bluenose to come out and say " shove your iron curtain up your arse", tells me that you're not much of a Rangers man, no matter how good the present defence is.

Also you don't need tell me to remember the players of this squad, I'm well informed of them as a Rangers fan that respects and has a healthy interest in the history of the club, shame the same can't be said of you.

Last edited:

McGregor
McLaughlin
Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Balogun
Barisic

Just as a comparison, since Gerrard arrived we have played 92 League games and have lost 53 goals or 0.58 goals per game which is just better than the ratio in the first part of the Mr. Souness / Sir Walter Era. Hopefully that ratio continues or, preferably, is bettered in the years to come. The difficult part is winning silverware which the Iron Curtain side did against an arguably stronger opponents. The current side are legends in the making : they now need to win silverware and do it consistently in the future.

I would be surprised if anyone on here lives in the past but we should all appreciate the success that was brought to this club. A lot of us know how to be respectful to teams and players of yesteryear and particularly those who were successful in winning silverware. You can disagree with the term Iron Curtain but reasons for this has been explained in this thread. A little respect goes a long way particularly to players who played and were successful for The Rangers.

McGregor
McLaughlin
Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Balogun
Barisic

Comparing less than a full season to virtually an entire decade isn't fair though, is it?

Using that kind of logic, Marco Negri was much better than the mythical Ally McCoist based on goals per game. :rolleyes:

This season's defensive record is incredible. I just don't get why you need to use it to criticise and downplay genuine club legends.

McGregor
McLaughlin
Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Balogun
Barisic

There is a big difference between how the game is played now and how it was.The Iron Curtain defence would be facing the W system every week.Two wingers left 11 and right 7,Two inside forwards,right 8,left 10 both would be technically gifted and a centre forward 9.All capable of scoring and setting up goals.Our current defence usually has to defend against a lone striker or in Motherwell case no strikers.
Teams were more evenly matched and all the sides were entirely Scottish in the main.Teams came to Ibrox to win and games were end to end.
Thats not to say our current defence is not good,just different where the emphasis is playing out from the back and pushing full backs up.So the stats comparing the two defences are invalid.
So a wee bit of respect for former heros and fellow posters would not go amiss.

The idiot in the second post would have done well to listen to his grandfather in noting that the Iron Curtain was the best defence in a country which at the time had some seriously world class players in attacking options. The Hibs and Hearts forward lines (Famous Five and Terrible Trio) of that time were of genuine quality.

It's a bit different to today where barely any teams come across the half way line against us.

Last edited:
It's facts mate. Look at the goals conceded column during that period and tell me our current defence isn't absolutely miles ahead of that complete myth of a defence.
The game in general was played in a completely different manner back then.
You basically had a back three, two full backs and a CH. Wingers had never heard of, or been asked to, track back. We had five forwards, on both sides.
That particular Rangers side was among the most successful we've had and contained real Rangers legends.
Your curt dismissal of them does you no favours as a supposed Rangers supporter.

Back