The Iron Curtain - Do we now have a modern day version?

We're all entitled to our opinions mate. In my eyes the defence of today would run all over the top of the so called "iron curtain", regardless of whether you think that opinion is disrespectful or not.

7 goals conceded in 25 matches. Do I need to say more? This type of defensive record domestically is virtually unheard of before. The only thing they're lacking right now is trophies. Once Tav gets his hands on 55 this season they will rightfully write their name into the history books as our greatest ever defence.

McGregor
McLaughlin
Tavernier
Goldson
Helander
Balogun
Barisic

Legends in the making for this club. Live in the past all you want, but your fabled iron curtain is a myth. These boys are the only iron curtain in town. They've turned Ibrox into a modern day impenetrable fortress. 1 goal conceded at home all season. Remember the names.
Edited, Not taking a ban for you.

To me the iron curtain is an absolute myth. We conceded no fewer goals during that period than we have at any time in our history. Whenever my late grandfather used to mention it I would be desperate to tell him to stop talking pish.

If this Rangers team make it to the end of the season conceding goals at the same rate we have been it will be our best ever defence by far. Shove your iron curtain up your fucking arse.
So legends like Brown, Young, Shaw, McColl, Woodburn and Cox were dumplings?

You are never a Rangers fan.

You seem to be very angry about something your late grandad said about how good the Iron Curtain defence of the late 1940’s were but did not have the courage to disagree with him. I am not old enough to have seen the Iron Curtain defence but was happy to listen and learn from those family members who did. The last sentence of your post is just bizarre particularly coming from a Rangers supporter. As @Bluebearjim said, just be happy that we had the Iron Curtain defence then and a decent defence, so far, this season.
Spot on.

it Should be pointed out that the standard of the Scottish League was a lot higher back then. Scotland produced many top players and teams could hang on to them easier.

Just look at when European football started, Scottish teams regularly reached the latter stages (not just us and them).
Excellent point.

The game has changed so much,I can go as far back as the 60s and if Tav and Borna were playing then the management would have chased them down Copland Road for crossing the half way line.No one even played it out from the back the ball was booted as far up the park as possible from either the goalie or full backs.
What the full backs could do is put in a decent tackle which is the weakest part of the modern full back
The first Rangers full back that ventured forward was the late great Sandy Jardine who started out as an attacking midfielder before becoming a world class fullback.

A lot of what you say is true, but Sandy in Royal Blue, came after Eric Caldow, our first attacking full back. His unbelievable pace ensured he was always in the correct place at the correct time.

What lucky supporters we are that we have had so many legends that are fondly remembered after such a long time.

To me the iron curtain is an absolute myth. We conceded no fewer goals during that period than we have at any time in our history. Whenever my late grandfather used to mention it I would be desperate to tell him to stop talking pish.

If this Rangers team make it to the end of the season conceding goals at the same rate we have been it will be our best ever defence by far. Shove your iron curtain up your fucking arse.
Hopefully your grandkids will have the courage to tell you to stop talking pish when you tell them of former players that have worn the famous blue jersey

If this Rangers team make it to the end of the season conceding goals at the same rate we have been it will be our best ever defence by far. Shove your i

A lot of what you say is true, but Sandy in Royal Blue, came after Eric Caldow, our first attacking full back. His unbelievable pace ensured he was always in the correct place at the correct time.

What lucky supporters we are that we have had so many legends that are fondly remembered after such a long time.
I stand corrected Eric was just before my time,I can just about remember Davie Provan at left back .

It's facts mate. Look at the goals conceded column during that period and tell me our current defence isn't absolutely miles ahead of that complete myth of a defence.
You sir, might consider sticking your ill manners, or perhaps your 19th Century Terrorist banners, up your own arse.
The Iron Curtain defence faced 5 Forwards on a regular basis, as was the formations back in the day.
The quality of forwards they faced, were of a much higher standard, than we are faced with today.
The current Defence we have, have been excellent this season, but they are faced with opponents who mostly operate with 1 forward only, sometimes 2 at the most, and occasionally 0 (Motherwell, a few weeks past).

You sir, might consider sticking your ill manners, or perhaps your 19th Century Terrorist banners, up your own arse.
The Iron Curtain defence faced 5 Forwards on a regular basis, as was the formations back in the day.
The quality of forwards they faced, were of a much higher standard, than we are faced with today.
The current Defence we have, have been excellent this season, but they are faced with opponents who mostly operate with 1 forward only, sometimes 2 at the most, and occasionally 0 (Motherwell, a few weeks past).

38563220-9194797-image-a-39-1611785214588.jpg

As one who watched that team, which set the standard I judged all that followed, you could also throw in stronger level of opposition. As you say let’s be happy to have memories of so many great teams who have graced The Jersey over the years.

Ancient Loyal
beat me to it Trevor. just as ancient, the iron curtain was up against some heelluva players then. cheers

Certainly didn't expect to come on this thread and read what I have. Our club has been around for a long, long time. We can be proud of different groups of players from different periods of time, past to present. We can celebrate the current crop without insulting the past achievements of others, such as the Iron Curtain. I'm just thankful we have had the legends we have done and are currently watching the next group of legends in the making.

Back