The Josh McPake ratings Diary

Gio#56

Will update where and when

22-01-21 v Salford - Away
Josh McPake 8 - Looked lively from the very first minute. Backed his ability on the ball and tried to take the game to City down the left at every opportunity. On this evidence, Town have a very exciting talent on their hands. Came close to a late goal before Francis did eventually make it 2-2.

26-01-21 v Tranmere Rovers - Away
Josh McPake 8 - ADVERTISER STAR MAN. A danger every time he touched the ball. Must have recorded at least three nutmegs during the game and took his first goal for the club very well. Also not afraid to put a defensive shift in for the benefit of the team.

30-01-21 v Newport - Home
Josh McPake 8 - Ought to have done better with a good first-half opening when he cut back inside and into traffic after Josh March played him in on goal at 1-0. But, he caused County all sorts of problems with his dazzling footwork and willingness to run at defenders down the left. Tracked back to good effect, too.

06-02-21 v Crawley - Away
Josh McPake 7 - Was the victim of a number of early fouls that seemed to slow the Glasgow Rangers loanee's progress, but he never gave up the cause. Booked for dissent before being replaced on 69 minutes due to Smith’s red card.

23-02-21 v Mansfield - Home
Josh McPake 5 - The first period did not go well for the Glasgow Rangers loanee as he lost the ball almost every time he got it. He did however stick to his task and made a bit more of an impression down the left wing after half-time.

27-02-21 v Grimsby - Home
Josh McPake 6 - A bit of a hit-and-miss performance. Showed his undoubted quality with the ball at his feet on a few occasions, but didn't always make the right decisions when in possession. Kept going and kept asking for the ball, however. Such a bobbly playing surface can't make life easy for wingers who want to run at defenders.

02-03-21 v Barrow - Away
Josh McPake 8 - ADVERTISER STAR MAN - Town's biggest attacking threat. Every time he got on the ball he was willing to run at and, more often than not, beat his man. Was however guilty of not getting his head up and looking for a team-mate when in good positions.

06-03-21 v Stevenage- Away
Josh McPake 6 - Had his moments and caused the home defence problems, including a cheeky nutmeg that won a dangerous free-kick. Ultimately, however, he couldn't find a chink in the Stevenage armour.

09-03-21 v Colchester - Home
Josh McPake 7 - Goal was a reward for his perseverance having missed a very similar chance just three minutes before he did eventually make it 3-0. Needed to look after the ball better at times, but a decent enough showing on the whole.

13-03-21 v Forest Green - Away
Josh McPake 6 - Didn’t have a great impact on the match at all and was perhaps guilty of spurning Town’s best opportunity. Also, like Falkingham, could possibly have stuck tighter to Kane Wilson in the build-up to Rovers' second goal.

27-03-21 v Southend - Home
Josh McPake 7 (Yorkshire post ratings) – Town's best player, he forced a couple of really good saves from Mark Oxley in the first half

02-04-21 v Walsall - Away
Josh McPake (on for Martin, 46) 7 - Another who made a good impression from the bench. Ran at defenders with confidence and drove Harrogate up the pitch. Delivered two useful crosses, though overall his end product could still have been a bit better.

05-04-21 v Port Vale - Home
Josh McPake 6 - A really promising first-half display. He looked very much in the mood and saw one decent effort saved by Scott Brown. Even drifted infield in search of the ball to try and make something happen, but Town just couldn't get him into the match after the interval.

10-04-21 v Bolton - Away
Josh McPake 6 - Started the afternoon superbly on the left wing and laid on two early chances for Thomson and Jack Muldoon. But, just as was the case against Port Vale last time out, he hardly touched the ball as the game wore on and faded out of the contest.

13-04-21 v Leyton Orient - Home
Josh McPake 8 - ADVERTISER STAR MAN. Probably his finest outing in a Harrogate shirt. A decent first 45 then proved a constant menace down the left flank during the second. Caused Orient a lot of problems with his willingness to run at defenders and kept his composure to slot home a 74th-minute equaliser that both he and Town deserved. Also won five tackles.

17-04-21 v Bradford City - Home
Josh McPake 8 - Has been getting better with each appearance since Easter. Danced past defenders time after time and, for the second match running, he came up with a late goal to earn his team a result. His curling, edge-of-the-box winner was worthy of deciding any game.

24-04-21 v Carlisle - Away
Josh McPake 8 - Another impressive outing for the Glasgow Ranger loanee. His recent goals look to have done him a world of good, his work-rate has improved as has decision-making in and around the box. Perhaps unfortunate not to have won his side a penalty on two occasions.

Last edited:
Good lad....seems to have had a good start and working hard by the sounds of it. Keep it up young man

Thanks for this HB. Josh certainly appears to have the talent. Playing week in week out in that league will do him the world of good.

How good would it be in a few years to have Patterson, McPake and Kennedy strolling it for us at Ibrox.

Good to see, really hope he keeps that up .... I remember the same reports coming out of Rotherham for Jake Hastie's first couple of games

Thanks for this HB. Josh certainly appears to have the talent. Playing week in week out in that league will do him the world of good.

How good would it be in a few years to have Patterson, McPake and Kennedy strolling it for us at Ibrox.
Add Leon King in to the mix.

Future is looking very bright indeed

They need games to progress.

I hope once the league is done Patterson can get a run of starts give tav a two week holiday he deserves it

Think Josh is needing a good loan to kick on again. Last 2 haven't worked for whatever reason.
Dundee didn’t work out, he was one of Morton’s better players though.

Not sure why he got called back, unless the development team want him competing for promotion.

Sound. Bow to superior knowledge. Just looking at the fact he only played 6 times for Morton and was recalled thought there must've been an issue.
Yeah, seemingly the development team felt League 2 was a higher level & challenging for promotion would be better for him.

Not sure I agree, but hey-ho :))

I was thinking about who we could play when the league is won as we have so many out on loan.
I can see Leon being one of the few that go straight from the academy to the first team with no loan.
High hopes, still a long way to go in physical development though & I think that’s why he played RB against Falkirk.

Only turned 17 last week I’m sure, I think he may be out on loan to help him acclimatise to the roughness of Scottish pro football :))

Reactions: LD5

I’d add Dickson to that list, was impressed with his use of the ball when he came on against Falkirk and although the game was already done he looked like a young (very young!) Davis

I watched their game two weeks ago. The general quality was awful. Barely 5 passes strung together in a row. Josh is playing left midfield in a 4-4-2 which doesn’t look like it suits him.

I watched their game two weeks ago. The general quality was awful. Barely 5 passes strung together in a row. Josh is playing left midfield in a 4-4-2 which doesn’t look like it suits him.

I watch league two often and I rate as good as the scottish championship if not better in all honesty.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but how do we have three players on loan at QOTS? I thought the maximum was two.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but how do we have three players on loan at QOTS? I thought the maximum was two.

I think it's two if it's the same league - I could be wrong about that though

Good. Was tipped early for success but still remains to be seen. The only issue is every year the standard of the first team increases therefore making it harder to progress. For better or worse

I think they extended the numbers permitted as part of the Covid measures. @rangeral is the man for certainty on that though.
@LD5 @Valley Bluenose

(i) a maximum of 6 players on loan at any one time plus any approved emergency goalkeeper (increased from 4);

(ii) a maximum of 2 players on loan at any one time from another club in the same SPFL division (increased from 1); and

(iii) a maximum of 4 players on loan at any one time from another club in a different SPFL division (increased from 2).

Back