The Journey

ABBear1872

Should we win the title this season, the 'journey' will be complete. Looking back there were some very, very low points and some absolute smashers of games to watch. Few which really stand out for me outside of Old firm wins:

1) Rangers v Motherwell when in Division 3. I think it was Jig and Dean Shiels who scored for us that evening. If memory serves me correct, motherwell were top of the league at this point albeit early in the season. Despite not being full, Ibrox was absolutely rocking that evening. We started at a real high tempo.

2) Rangers v Hibs at Ibrox just after Christmas which ended 4-2. Again, Ibrox was buzzing and wee Jason holt had a smasher that day. I think we conceded early that game too which made it all the nicer winning that day.

3) Rangers v rapid Vienna in the Europe league - Rapid Vienna took the lead and we hit back instantly. Then finished off with a last minute goal from buff to put the game to bed at 3-1. Ibrox was bouncing that night, and the rapid fans kept the atmosphere going the full evening.

Any others which stand out? Im sure there are plenty but the above are three games i look back upon fondly.

Should WHEN we win the title this season, the 'journey' will be complete. Looking back there were some very, very low points and some absolute smashers of games to watch. Few which really stand out for me outside of Old firm wins:

1) Rangers v Motherwell when in Division 3. I think it was Jig and Dean Shiels who scored for us that evening. If memory serves me correct, motherwell were top of the league at this point albeit early in the season. Despite not being full, Ibrox was absolutely rocking that evening. We started at a real high tempo.

2) Rangers v Hibs at Ibrox just after Christmas which ended 4-2. Again, Ibrox was buzzing and wee Jason holt had a smasher that day. I think we conceded early that game too which made it all the nicer winning that day.

3) Rangers v rapid Vienna in the Europe league - Rapid Vienna took the lead and we hit back instantly. Then finished off with a last minute goal from buff to put the game to bed at 3-1. Ibrox was bouncing that night, and the rapid fans kept the atmosphere going the full evening.

Any others which stand out? Im sure there are plenty but the above are three games i look back upon fondly.

Fixed that first bit for you OP :))

When we beat Dundee.

Was it Harry Forrester maybe who scored? Was a good performance.

I have scrubbed a lot of it and romanticised some parts. So I may not even have that one correct :)
Is that the last minute glancing header? Infront of the Copeland Road?

561306-10151994192550323-1888562122-n.jpg

Last edited:
6-2 game against Hibs in the wee cup was a great day out.

McKay long ranger at Hampden then the skied penalty got to be on the high points - then the low point of the defensive shambles that cost us the final.

Clint Hill equalisers and the ugly duckling screaming her head off behind the goal.

90th minute goal against Legia Warsaw after their bonfire halted the game.

I remember the global media interest that followed our club especially during that first season. Many a media company filming and interviewing fans on our travels around the basement grounds.

It will be interesting to watch them all, and I'm sure there will be many, the documentaries on our fall from grace and subsequent rising to the pinnacle.

My one wish is that we do get to have a full stadium day before the season's end to come together and celebrate our Journey, and to reflect on those who have not been able to Still be with us to revel in its fulfilment.

If its the cup game youre thinking of, he scored after 15 seconds. We spanked them 4-0. That was a good day

I managed to get a seat in the Govan about halfway between 18 yard line and centre line. Had a perfect view of that run and goal, whilst some people were still trickling into the stadium.

Can’t remember if it was Ally or Dave King who said it, but their opinion was that winning the title wasn’t the end of the journey - it wouldn’t be complete until they heard the Champions League theme playing at Ibrox again.

Someone suggested on twitter with all amazons tweets about rangers they mightve been recording a "all or nothing" series like they have other clubs. Im almost certain thats total bollocks, but a documentary from the day of administration to us lifting 55 would be up there with the best sports documentaries ever imo, may be a biased opinion right enough. :D

Painfully, I remember the two leg play-off affair against Motherwell to get back into the SPL in 2015. Sitting in the Copland Rear that day when they beat us 3-1 I vividly remember watching a Rangers team look absolutely devoid of ideas, creativity, movement and ultimately quality.

Was one of the most painful Rangers games I've ever attended.

So, whilst things are rosier now I think it's worth also reminding ourselves how far we've come in a fairly short space of time.

Can’t remember if it was Ally or Dave King who said it, but their opinion was that winning the title wasn’t the end of the journey - it wouldn’t be complete until they heard the Champions League theme playing at Ibrox again.

To an extent that night with Rapid Vienna was a real moment for me, and the little video done be one of our own ( Rob - Forget his whole FF name ) for BT Sport was very emotional for that night.

A packed & vibrant Ibrox, with Morelos in destruction mode.

Someone suggested on twitter with all amazons tweets about Rangers they mightve been recording a "all or nothing" series like they have other clubs. Im almost certain thats total bollocks, but a documentary from the day of administration to us lifting 55 would be up there with the best sports documentaries ever imo, may be a biased opinion right enough. :D
RTV should do this. I would happily pay ÂŁ9.99 or whatever it may cost.

I absolutely respect the sentiment OP. The journey will ultimately never be completed but will be sufficiently progressed when we are regularly the dominant force in Scotland. Winning the league will be a major milestone when we land it. Like hundreds of thousands of us l cannot wait.

There's so many key dates and games. Looking back to the summer of 2012 and we lost Papac, Aluko, Whittaker, Naismith, Lafferty, McGregor, Davis, Fleck, McCabe, Bedoya, Edu, Bocanegra and replaced them with Shiels, Black, Sandaza, Cribari, Kyle, et al. What an uncertain, daunting time and the start of a hell of a journey.

Some key dates for me :

29 July 2012 - Challenge Cup - Brechin City (a) - 2-1 win - the first game of the journey.
18 August 2012 - Third Division - East Stirling - 5-1 win - first game in the bottom division at Ibrox and a sell-out. A game that really showed our togetherness and which gave us hope for the journey ahead
26 September 2012 - League Cup - Motherwell (h) - 2-0 win - a result that maybe gave us false hope as to the difficulties we'd face on the journey.
6 October 2012 - Third Division - Stirling Albion (a) - 1-2 loss - a result that really hit home where we were at after a relatively positive start (results wise) to the season.
29 December 2012 - Third Division - Queens Park (a) - 1-0 win - think Hampden was close to a sell out that day and all bears!!
30 March 2013 - Third Division - Montrose (a) - 0-0 draw - Third Division title won and stage one complete.

12 March 2014 - League One - Airdrie (h) - 3-0 win - League One title won and stage 2 complete.
6 April 2014 - Challenge Cup final - Raith Rovers - 1-0 loss (AET) - a massive blow at the time and a result that caused some to have doubts about Ally.

2014/15 - We lost our first two league games against Hearts, and our first three league games against Hibs. These results really were the tone of that season in which we finished third. We also had a run of 5 draws in the middle of the season against Falkirk, Cowdenbeath, Queen of the South, Livingston and Alloa. This - after a Scottish Cup exit to Raith Rovers - was probably the catalyst for McDowell to step down as caretaker.
3 December 2014 - Challenge Cup semi final - Alloa Athletic (a) - 3-0 loss - another kick in the balls in a shocker of a season.
12 December 2014 - Championship - Queen of the South (a) - 2-0 loss - another poor result and a result which (couple with off-field issues) led Ally to resign.
1 February 2015 - League Cup semi-final - Celtic - 0-2 loss - the first OF game since 2012.
28 May 2015 - Premiership Play off - Motherwell (h) - 1-3 loss - McCall tactically outdone. The defeat some days later, the Mohsni sending off and the Bell howler probably stand out more, but the home game is where we messed up.

23 August 2015 - Championship - Hibs (h) - 1-0 win - the first 'big' win under Warburton and a result that really gave us hope that we were heading in the right direction. Also a cracker of a free-kick from Tav if I recall correct.
5 April 2016 - Championship - Dumbarton (h) - 1-0 win - the league clinched and Rangers return to the top flight. Stage 3 complete.
17 April 2016 - Scottish Cup semi final - Celtic - 2-2 (5-4 win on pens) - what a day and what a result. But one that arguably hurt us long term as Celtic realised the threat and spent big - bringing in Rodgers.
21 May 2016 -Scottish Cup final - Hibs - 2-3 loss - a shambolic display in the final.

20 September 2016 - Premiership - Celtic (a) - 1-5 loss - a result that emphasised the progress we still had to make. One of five losses to them that season with the only shred of light a 1-1 draw away in the second league game at the piggery.

4 July 2017 - Europa League - Progres (a) - 0-2 loss - a result that gave early signs of the debacle we'd face under Pedro.
28 October 2017 - Premiership - Hearts (a) - 3-1 win - Graeme Murty's first game in what would prove to be a long spell as caretaker.
29 April 2018 - Premiership - Celtic (a) - 0-5 loss - another result that emphasised the gap at the time- and one which say Murty step down after losing 4-0 and 5-0 to Celtic in the space of two weeks.
13 May 2018 - Premiership - Hibs (a) - 5-5 draw - Jimmy Nicholl's last game in charge (he had 3 total) and a bit of a crazy game.

30 August 2018 - Europa League - Ufa (a) - 1-1 draw - the Stevie G express really takes off as 9 man Rangers secure a spot in the group stage. What a result!!
20 September 2018 - Europa League - Villarreal (a) - 2-2 - our first group stage game in around a decade, and one that I believe made a lot of people down south and elsewhere sit up and take notice.
29 December 2018 - Premiership - Celtic (h) - 1-0 win - our first league win over them since our return.

29 December 2019 - Premiership - Celtic (a) - 2-1 win - our first win at theirs in a long time, and a result which put us in a great position for the second half of the season.
26 January 2020 - Premiership - Hearts (a) - 1-2 loss - a defeat which signalled the start of a poor run of form. Which put us behind in the league and allowed the blazers to award Celtic a title they hadn't won.
20 February 2020 - Europa League - Braga (h) - 3-2 win - our first knock out game in over a decade, and a fantastic comeback win.

2 January 2021 - Premiership - Celtic (h) - 1-0 win - a game which I believe truly knocked the stuffing out of them. And one which started the Countdown to 55.
Others this season - too many to mention!! Let's see where we are at come the end of the season.

Last edited:
Hate the term "the journey" (no offence to the OP).

For me it'll end when we're back in the CL.
For me, that's when we've "arrived" at the first stage of the "journey" ;)

The real journey starts then....maintaining that position and progressing further.

First game at Ibrox with us in the bottom league , place packed total sell out

1 st minute Penalty to East Stirlingshire , from which they score

Couldn't believe the scoteboard
0-1

We won in the end but my goodness what a start

There's so many key dates and games. Looking back to the summer of 2012 and we lost Papac, Aluko, Whittaker, Naismith, Lafferty, McGregor, Davis, Fleck, McCabe, Bedoya, Edu, Bocanegra and replaced them with Shiels, Black, Sandaza, Cribari, Kyle, et al. What an uncertain, daunting time and the start of a hell of a journey.

Some key dates for me :

29 July 2012 - Challenge Cup - Brechin City (a) - 2-1 win - the first game of the journey.
26 September 2012 - League Cup - Motherwell (h) - 2-0 win - a result that maybe gave us false hope as to the difficulties we'd face on the journey.
6 October 2012 - Third Division - Stirling Albion (a) - 1-2 loss - a result that really hit home where we were at.
29 December 2012 - Third Division - Queens Park (a) - 1-0 win - think Hampden was close to a sell out that day and all bears!!
30 March 2013 - Third Division - Montrose (a) - 0-0 draw - Third Division title won and stage one complete.

12 March 2014 - League One - Airdrie (h) - 3-0 win - League One title won and stage 2 complete.
6 April 2014 - Challenge Cup final - Raith Rovers - 1-0 loss (AET) - a massive blow at the time and a result that caused some to have doubts about Ally.

2014/15 - We lost our first two league games against Hearts, and our first three league games against Hibs. These results really were the tone of that season in which we finished third. We also had a run of 5 draws in the middle of the season against Falkirk, Cowdenbeath, Queen of the South, Livingston and Alloa. This - after a Scottish Cup exit to Raith Rovers - was probably the catalyst for McDowell to step down as caretaker.
3 December 2014 - Challenge Cup semi final - Alloa Athletic (a) - 3-0 loss - another kick in the balls in a shocker of a season.
12 December 2014 - Championship - Queen of the South (a) - 2-0 loss - another poor result and a result which (couple with off-field issues) led Ally to resign.
1 February 2015 - League Cup semi-final - Celtic - 0-2 loss - the first OF game since 2012.
28 May 2015 - Premiership Play off - Motherwell (h) - 1-3 loss - Ally tactically outdone. The defeat some days later, the Mohsni sending off and the Bell howler probably stand out more, but the home game is where we messed up.

23 August 2015 - Championship - Hibs (h) - 1-0 win - the first 'big' win under Warburton and a result that really gave us hope that we were heading in the right direction.
5 April 2016 - Championship - Dumbarton (h) - 1-0 win - the league clinched and Rangers return to the top flight. Stage 3 complete.
17 April 2016 - Scottish Cup semi final - Celtic - 2-2 (5-4 win on pens) - what a day and what a result. But one that arguably hurt us long term as Celtic realised the threat and spent big - bringing in Rodgers.
21 May 2016 -Scottish Cup final - Hibs - 2-3 loss - a shambolic display in the final.

20 September 2016 - Premiership - Celtic (a) - 1-5 loss - a result that emphasised the progress we still had to make. One of five losses to them that season with the only shred of light a 1-1 draw away in the second league game at the piggery.

4 July 2017 - Europa League - Progres (a) - 0-2 loss - a result that gave early signs of the debacle we'd face under Pedro.
28 October 2017 - Premiership - Hearts (a) - 3-1 win - Graeme Murty's first game in what would prove to be a long spell as caretaker.
29 April 2018 - Premiership - Celtic (a) - 0-5 loss - another result that emphasised the gap at the time- and one which say Murty step down after losing 4-0 and 5-0 to Celtic in the space of two weeks.
13 May 2018 - Premiership - Hibs (a) - 5-5 draw - Jimmy Nicholl's last game in charge (he had 3 total) and a bit of a crazy game.

30 August 2018 - Europa League - Ufa (a) - 1-1 draw - the Stevie G express really takes off as 9 man Rangers secure a spot in the group stage. What a result!!
20 September 2018 - Europa League - Villarreal (a) - 2-2 - our first group stage game in around a decade, and one that I believe made a lot of people down south and elsewhere sit up and take notice.
29 December 2018 - Premiership - Celtic (h) - 1-0 win - our first league win over them since our return.

29 December 2019 - Premiership - Celtic (a) - 2-1 win - our first win at theirs in a long time, and a result which put us in a great position for the second half of the season.
26 January 2020 - Premiership - Hearts (a) - 1-2 loss - a defeat which signalled the start of a poor run of form. Which put us behind in the league and allowed the blazers to award Celtic a title they hadn't won.
20 February 2020 - Europa League - Braga (h) - 3-2 win - our first knock out game in over a decade, and a fantastic comeback win.

2 January 2021 - Premiership - Celtic (h) - 1-0 win - a game which I believe truly knocked the stuffing out of them. And one which started the Countdown to 55.
Others this season - too many to mention!! Let's see where we are at come the end of the season.

Bigy, wasn’t Stuart McCall in charge v Motherwell in the Premiership Play Off & not Ally mate ?

Was that not Charles "big hands" Green in the early days who said that? (shudder)

I recall, as if it were yesterday, that 1st game back at Ibrox after demotion.
An evening game in the cup against Durie's Raith Rovers, seated in the Copland Rear with shades on staring into the August sunset.

I remember the heart strings being pulled at that evening, when we all sang Three Little Birds for that first time...sad times, but the start of our fightback.

When the Champions League theme starts blaring out the speakers at Ibrox will be the EXACT moment when "The Journey" will finally come to a close and the beginning of a new era.

Let's hope fans are back at that point.

Just looking at it - over the last 10 seasons we've had McCoist, McDowell, McCall, Warburton, Murty, Caixinha and Nicholl in charge before Gerrard. As soon as we're allowed in to celebrate 55 it'd be a nice touch to have all these guys back - to show our appreciate for the part they played (even Pedro).

Charles Green :oops:

I can't deny this journey has been dismal at times
But just like many hardships in all areas of life - we should be stronger because of it

Without wanting to mis-quote too many cliches - the journey for me isn't over when we reach the first destination

When that first trophy is on our shelf - where it belongs - that's the start of the next part of the journey -
We compete as trophy winners to win more trophies to keep the first one company

That's the ethic the late great Bill Struth wisely adopted & that's the basis of all our aims going forward - as far as I'm concerned

We strive to be Simply the Best at all times - wherever the journey took us in the past, wherever it is in the present & wherever it goes in the future

To an extent that night with Rapid Vienna was a real moment for me, and the little video done be one of our own ( Rob - Forget his whole FF name ) for BT Sport was very emotional for that night.

A packed & vibrant Ibrox, with Morelos in destruction mode.

Link to the pre match feature, one of my favourite clips, somebody posted it on here after the YouTube video was taken down. I've only got the link to the video and not the thread itself.

Goosebumps every time I watch that clip, hopefully we get similar before our first Champions League home game!

Link to the pre match feature, one of my favourite clips, somebody posted it on here after the YouTube video was taken down. I've only got the link to the video and not the thread itself.

Goosebumps every time I watch that clip, hopefully we get similar before our first Champions League home game!

Thanks very much FFATW.

That was a moment for me ( video & match ).

That video is brilliant. Never seen it before, awww got Goosebumps watching that.

The only time I really see my dad is for European Games (work) and it was in Gerrard's first season when we both truly felt this one was different.

I missed the Brechin game but I remember going up to Peterhead on my own and feeling a sense of unreality about what I was doing.

It has all been a bit of a blur, some things pop into my fading memory from time to time.

I remember one game at Ibrox - can't remember who we were playing and Zelalem and Udowa were absolutely ripping the pish out our opponents and a roar of approval spread around the stadium amid a wave of optimism.

I remember Ally McCoist's speech on the pitch at Ibrox where he told the fans we were the ones who saved Rangers. Always feel he was making it clear to the spivs in the stand who Rangers really were.

For me this has been a journey - no matter now difficult it has been and how much we hate it.

After all the shite that happened and we never even knew if we would have enough players to make a team, Key Stage 1 was the long road back to the top league.

Key Stage 2 was getting into a challenging position and making an impact in Europe - Key Stage 3 is winning the league and returning to our rightful place as the top team in the country - almost complete. Stage 4 is cementing our place at the top and continuing to make an impact in Europe.

Back