The Juniors - 9th November 2019

West of Scotland Cup - 1st Round.

Largs Thistle 5-1 Lugar Boswell Thistle

A cold day, only 5c and although there was little wind it felt colder.

In the distance there were streaks of blue sky but above Barrfields Stadium the high, dark clouds gave a menacing atmosphere which could be seen through the rust edged holes in the corrugated iron shed roof.

The Largs Thistle flag was flown at half mast and there was a minute’s silence before the match to acknowledge Armistice Day and the sacrifice made by all casualties of war everywhere.

Largs Thistle started the match as 1/100 odds-on favourites against Lugar Boswell Thistle who are three leagues below them and have only accumulated six league points out of a possible thirty three. They are currently 13th in the West Region League Two out of 15 teams.

Lugar turned the teams round for the start and Largs played the first half hitting towards the tea bar and strips of blue sky far away to the east.

The downbeat feeling was quickly dissipated by both teams as the match started brightly with attacks at both ends.

The immaculate 3G pitch allowed a free flowing game and Largs went ahead in the 14th minute through Scott Adam.

Largs stepped up the pace and started to overwhelm the Lugar team, who, although they were well organised could not stop Largs scoring through Faulds in the 29th minute.

Largs started the second half brightly and scored in the 48th and 53rd minutes which gave Scott Adam his hat trick and a penalty put away by McKenna in the 68th minute.

Coasting at 5-0 and looking to add to the total, the Largs goalie had a brain storm and Lugar scored. They celebrated like it was the winner!

Largs continued to press and the Lugar keeper had two great saves. The metalwork of the goalposts was also rattled twice.

An entertaining match in front of a small crowd and through to the next round.

The draw for the second round will be made on Sunday, 10th November after the Greenock v Gartcairn match.

The lentil soup was very good and the special today was chilli and rice which was a popular choice today to ward off the winter chill.

Mon the Theesel!

PS On a personal level, your correspondent, with yellow ticket number 155, won the half time draw! I have, however, asked for no publicity as I believe Mr and Mrs Weir, the £161,000,000 lottery winners from Largs still get begging letters and I couldn’t be bothered with all that.

My first prize got me a used and crumpled £20 note. New Jade Chinese here I come!

Last edited:
Vics halted Lie's league form at Victoria Park in a fractious evening defeat which included hiding balls to slow play. So, today's WoS Cup 1st round match at Dunterlie had potential to be spicy. Just as well the ref was superb. 100mph from KO, with 'lie going 2 up quickly, then gifting Vics an easy net, before streaking 3-1 ahead. Both teams worked as hard in the 2nd half but despite the chances, mostly for 'lie, there were no more goals. Danny Mackay had his best game for a while, watched by his dad & Barrie. Lee Roulston cemented his return from a cranial fracture with 90 mins of energy & endeavour. Tam McGaughey was my MoTM. With injuries & suspensions settling, 'lie travel to Kilsyth next in better spirits. Vics can take pride in their efforts.

Last edited:
St Anthony’s 3 - 4 Hurlford Utd

Hurlford 3-0 up after 40 minutes and could have been couple more if wasn’t for the Ants Keeper , who it looked like played with an injured leg and couldn’t kick at all , St Anthony’s got a goal right on half time to make it 1-3 to the away side at the break.

2nd half started end to end , again the Home sides keeper making a superb stop from it going 4-1 , St Anthony’s got it to 2-3 with 25 to play then equalised with 15 to go.

at 93 mins ford got a penalty for Handball and after a long delay it was given and at 96 mins ford made it 3-4. Match ended on a very sour note as an apparent racist remark towards a home player Sparked madness, the lad was going mental , seen on Twitter the lad was told to go back to his own country or something , reckon Hurlford could be on bother and put a dampener on the best game I’ve seen for a while

Talbot 4 Forth Wanderers 0

A brutal first half ended goalless thanks to piss poor finishing and Forth sitting deep (along with a much changed starting Talbot 11)

Second half wasn't much better but the introduction of 3 subs made Talbot more potent upfront. Last week we scored two in two minutes this week we did that in the second half to kill the tie. Fair play to Forth who didn't resort to any physical stuff as they kept plugging away

On to Glenafton next week and I'll be thinking of @BeakerB who will be laid to rest on Monday afternoon :(

Watched Pollok v Ashfield at Newlandsfield today.

Pollok knocked it about well and they created the majority of the first half chances, with their opener coming from a random mistake by the ashfield RB, in the middle of the 6 yard box. Pollok keeper lucky not to be sent off for wiping out Ashfield striker after about 30 mins and Ashfield grew into the game.

Ashfield had a couple of half chances early in the 2nd half, but a freak goal put pollok 2-0 up. Ashfield rallied and got back to 2-1, but a cracking free kick from pollok no 10 put the game to bed. Penalty for their 4th.

Was bloody Baltic, but enjoyed watching, with the added benefit of some of my former springburn academy pupils playing on both sides!

Another laboured performance from Pollok at Newlandsfield today against a plucky Ashfield.

Pollok were so ordinary that the supposed gulf between the Premiership side and the League Two outfit was barely evident and the 4-1 scoreline certainly flattered the Southsiders. All that matters is being in the draw for the next round though and I'm thankful that no slip up was suffered. A tidy free kick from Adam Forde for Lok's third midway through the second half settled any nerves after a spirited effort from the Saracen Park men had brought the score back to 2-1. Jordan Longmuir can count himself fortunate not to have seen red during the opening period having wiped out an Ashfield attacker after a Paul Gallacher misplaced pass back looked to have potentially gifted a goalscoring opportunity. A glorious headed chance from six yards out was then spurned which would've seen the visitors head to the dressing rooms level at the break.

Butch Young made his second debut with less than fifteen minutes to play after signing a short-term deal to come out of retirement, no doubt to plug a gap in the squad due to David Barron's long term lay-off. An eyebrow raiser indeed!

Back to league business next weekend with a visit to Bellsdale Park to visit Beith in the first of this season's winter 13:45 kick-offs.

Heard from someone at the Petershill game...

Minutes silence before the game for remembrance.

20 seconds into it, Petershill's new signing (from a certain SPFL club in Glasgow who have an aversion to remembrance) strolls onto the pitch, doesn't even attempt to come into the centre circle. He started playing keepie up behind his teammates then made his way across to the bench as he was a sub. When the ref blew the whistle after the silence ended, he was told to go to the dressing room, get changed and go home.

Not sure who he is or his allegiances but credit to Petershill for taking action so swiftly.

Cumnock accept the resignation of manager Paul Burns. On the face of it a good move as he's a *** but, as they've been so shit this season I had hoped he'd stay until he relegated them

West of Scotland cup 2nd round drawn today

Buffs v Talbot
Rossvale v Beith
Dalry v Lok
Bankies v Ford
Glenafton v Largs
Medda v Arthurlie
Royal Albert v Blasties

that's as many as I know so far

Blantyre v Muirkirk

Lanark v St Roch's

Rossvale v Beith

Meadow v Arthurlie

Ardrossan v Troon

Kilwinning v Talbot

Benburb v K Rob Roy

Glenafton v Largs

Wishaw/Johnstone Burgh v Renfrew

Cambuslang v Maybole

Clydebank v Hurlford

Dalry v Pollok

Kilsyth v Neilston

Girvan v Newmains

Greenock v Vale of Clyde

Royal Albert v Kilbirnie

Another away day in north Ayrshire - wahay! Looking forward to it already.

Some tidy draws in there: Buffs v Talbot, Glenafton v Largs and Rossvale v Beith look like exciting games. Bankies v 'Ford and Medda v Arthurlie look tasty too. Can 'Lie find some form and do the business?

Heard from someone at the Petershill game...

Minutes silence before the game for remembrance.

20 seconds into it, Petershill's new signing (from a certain SPFL club in Glasgow who have an aversion to remembrance) strolls onto the pitch, doesn't even attempt to come into the centre circle. He started playing keepie up behind his teammates then made his way across to the bench as he was a sub. When the ref blew the whistle after the silence ended, he was told to go to the dressing room, get changed and go home.

Not sure who he is or his allegiances but credit to Petershill for taking action so swiftly.

Who was the c*nt? Absolute pond life scumbag

Johnstone Burgh absolutely flying this season. Took a chance appointing such a young manager considering how tough the Junior game can be but it's definitely worked.

West cup second round games to be played on 11th January. Unless we somehow beat Arbroath in the senior cup as, I think, round 4 is scheduled for that day.

Tony McInally - ex-pollok manager - takes over at Cumnock :eek: ooooooft

Back