The Juniors during the lockdown

Restart Update
July 8, 2020
The Lowland/East/South/West Pyramid Restart group had its first online meeting last week.
The meeting was very worthwhile and progress has been made in our joint preparations for the expected restart of training and playing. The headlines are:

TRAINING AND PLAYING
We are hoping to restart training in August and playing from last Saturday in September or first Saturday in October. These are only indicative dates for now, they will be confirmed or otherwise in line with Scottish Government/ Scottish FA instructions. You will hear as soon as we have anything definite to tell you.
FIXTURES
Outline plans are being drawn up and all Clubs will be asked to complete a Facility Survey to inform the schedule and capacity number for spectators, if and when these are allowed at games. We expect the survey to be ready by next weekend.
PROTOCOLS
These are being worked on for both training and playing and will be modified as the lockdown phases progress. They will be available as restrictions are modified, based on the information we receive.
SCOTTISH FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION
We have been in discussions and expressed our disappointment at the lack of information and practical support, including finance, for our semi-professional level of the game. We have a meeting scheduled with the Scottish FA and will keep you posted on the outcome of those discussions.
WHAT HAPPENS RIGHT NOW?
In the meantime, all clubs will continue to observe Scottish Government guidelines which means no training or matches can take place until formally advised.
To do otherwise would be illegal, contravene a Scottish FA Board directive, not be covered by insurance and could result in disciplinary action, and result in the restart at semi-professional level being further delayed.

Maryhill FC on rise as senior set-up beckons for ex-juniors
Interest in Maryhill FC is on the rise as the club prepares for its first senior season - with fans from Milngavie and Bearsden to the fore, writes Ian MacLean
6 hours ago
Maryhill FC in action
Maryhill FC in action
The 136-year-old club has joined the exodus from the junior ranks to the pyramid system and will compete in the new West of Scotland League.
The close season has already seen them sell more than double the number of season tickets as they sold last season in its entirety.
And around 40 per cent of those who have purchased season tickets are from the Bearsden and Milngavie areas.

“We’ve always traditionally had a good support from the area,” admitted club secretary Jeff Holmes.
“It’s strange, but we probably draw just as many supporters from Bearsden and Milngavie as we do from Maryhill!”

Manager Ross Wilson has rung the changes ahead of the new campaign. The former Irvine Meadow and Kello Rovers boss has signed eight new players, with five departing.

In come goalkeeper, Mark McRoberts, a former Motherwell and Airdrie youth, and defender Craig McEwan, who joins from Pollok United. Central defender Tony Etherson is a new recruit from Arthurlie.
Wilson has also strengthened the midfield area, introducing Ryan Wallace, Ross Lyden, Cammy O’Neil and Darren Kennedy.

Wallace was a youth team player at Morton, while Lyden has played for Clydebank, Dumbarton, Clyde and Vale of Leven.
Kennedy, who is 24, saw active service with Greenock Juniors and St Anthony’s. 23-year-old O’Neil was formerly with Barrhead Boys Club.

Jamie Henderson, who plays up front, has signed from amateur side Law Parish, but has previous junior experience with Lanark United and Fauldhouse United.
And then there are Paul O’Donnell, Michael Browne and Ewan McGuinness, who signed last season but didn’t get a chance to shine competitively due to the coronavirus.

Out go Joe Beckley, who has retired, Morgan Smith, Sam McNee, Scott Walker and Johnathon Kavanagh, the latter trio being on loan from Airdrie.

Wilson said: “The close season is a time of upheaval at many clubs, but has probably affected us most as this is my first pre-season in the job at Maryhill.
“The players who remain from last season along with the players who have joined all have something to prove so there is much needed competition around the place.
Maryhill haven’t played a competitive game of football since the first week in February, so it’s little wonder that there is a real appetite for the game in all four corners of Lochburn Park.
Wilson said: “You can do all the planning in the world but there really is no substitute for training and match days.”

Not sure what will evolve from the Juniors after the pyramid move & lock-down. A lucky few (Darvel etc) will be ok, but I fear many formerly great names will fold.

Talbot is a well run, sustainable, successful community-based club. You'll be fine, bud. But, who'll be left to play? The pyramid means you'll move up. What happens if the great rivals end up in different levels? Rivalry generates the passion & the revenue.

I would be delighted if we never gain promotion to the lowland league. I really hope all the teams survive. Teams like (and no offence to fans of ones I name) Lugar, Muirkirk, Kello and Craigmark have always amazed me by keeping going when they don’t have a pot to piss in. Maybe that survival instinct will help them in these times.
You are right in that Talbot are lucky with the committee they have. We have one guy who helps out who isn’t on the committee. We have another guy who’s raised £20000 by selling memorabilia. We have over 100 fans who donate £100 a season to help the club out. Senior cup runs including two ties at Tynecastle and a televised game v Ayr have kept us on a solid financial footing. But you’re right - it won’t matter a hot if we don’t have anyone to play against.

I will always be a “juniors” man no matter what they’re now called.

Maryhill FC
6h
·

The closing date for ordering the current batch of Maryhill FC shirts is Sunday evening at 8pm. Anyone in the UK wanting them posted out should add £2 for postage, giving a total cost of £32.

For those who want to pick them up in person, the plan is for to open Lochburn one weekend in order to pick them up.

Thanks once again to everyone who has ordered them...the response so far has been remarkable...and remember, this is just the first batch!

East of Scotland league have agreed to start on schedule this weekend.

Talbot is a well run, sustainable, successful community-based club. You'll be fine, bud. But, who'll be left to play? The pyramid means you'll move up. What happens if the great rivals end up in different levels? Rivalry generates the passion & the revenue.
You think the ‘Lie will be ok? I know there have been troubled times recently but haven’t heard much over the last couple of weeks.

East of Scotland league have agreed to start on schedule this weekend.

Sounds a bit of a shambles with the new league setup with teams not wanting to play due to no fans being allowed in. Was it this weekend the league was due to start?

Sounds a bit of a shambles with the new league setup with teams not wanting to play due to no fans being allowed in. Was it this weekend the league was due to start?

Sorry, typed that and went out

Yes, they were down to start this weekend

Supposed to be a decision on the West of Scotland League this week

From what I've been told there will be no punishment for clubs who can't complete the season. Most clubs have said they'll struggle to finish the league without fans and if they fail to fulfil fixtures they won't be sanctioned, including relegation.

Sorry, typed that and went out

Yes, they were down to start this weekend

Supposed to be a decision on the West of Scotland League this week

What have you heard about the likely outcome of the vote? A boy I know that’s involved with Beith thinks the season could be scrapped if current conditions are kept in place. A lot of the smaller teams will be struggling to keep their head above water.

What have you heard about the likely outcome of the vote? A boy I know that’s involved with Beith thinks the season could be scrapped if current conditions are kept in place. A lot of the smaller teams will be struggling to keep their head above water.

From what I gather there are several teams desperate to start. Christ knows why if no fans are allowed in. No income yet they'll have outgoings? Doesn't make much sense to me. But I'm only a fan :D

If I could get to games I would go, but I don't see the sense of having games without fans. I could be wrong but I don't think any side i the top division is fully licensed so couldn't get into the LL even if they won our league and a playoff, and I don't agree with relegation either especially as you won't be playing every other side in the league on a home and away basis.

I heard Beith players got changed after the game in the stands beside the pitch

Talbot's game v Rossvale was off as one of the Rossvale players tested positive - that's how easy it would be to spread it. And these guys aren't full-time. 2 weeks off their work could ruin some of the self-employed players

At least one Whitletts player has it and a member of the Medda committee.

I'm just glad I don't have to make the decision :(

I'm not privy to 'Lie's finances, MB. They've lost a fortune I'd have spent in the pie shop. Seriously though, money has been tight in the Junior game for years, a privileged elite excepted. The pyramid move looks like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic for many.

From what I gather there are several teams desperate to start. Christ knows why if no fans are allowed in. No income yet they'll have outgoings? Doesn't make much sense to me. But I'm only a fan :D

If I could get to games I would go, but I don't see the sense of having games without fans. I could be wrong but I don't think any side i the top division is fully licensed so couldn't get into the LL even if they won our league and a playoff, and I don't agree with relegation either especially as you won't be playing every other side in the league on a home and away basis.

I heard Beith players got changed after the game in the stands beside the pitch

Talbot's game v Rossvale was off as one of the Rossvale players tested positive - that's how easy it would be to spread it. And these guys aren't full-time. 2 weeks off their work could ruin some of the self-employed players

At least one Whitletts player has it and a member of the Medda committee.

I'm just glad I don't have to make the decision :(

It’s a shit situation all round. You would think that most clubs could easily accommodate a couple of hundred fans with social distancing, there must be around that number at senior games with all the players, officials and media in attendance.
As you say, clubs have zero income but will still have a lot of expenses. That isn’t sustainable for most clubs, something will have to give.

Back