The Kenny Miller Rangers return with a difference that could help heal old wounds

TibbsyBear

The Kenny Miller Rangers return with a difference that could help heal old wounds

Gavin Berry reckons Steven Gerrard should consider moving for the man he name-checked upon his Rangers arrival.

The ink was barely dry on Kenny Miller’s Partick Thistle release papers when the jokes about a return to Rangers for a FOURTH spell started.

As soon as news of the veteran striker’s Firhill departure was announced, a section of the Ibrox support claimed in jest that he would become Steven Gerrard’s first January signing.

It’s a standing joke yet for some it isn’t such a ridiculous prospect, with Miller scoring 10 goals in half a season with the Championship strugglers.

Alfredo Morelos is still suspended and Gerrard could do with a third-choice striker. Morelos’ back-up frontman Jermain Defoecould even lean on 40-year-old Miller!

The former Scotland striker is still keen on extending his playing career but the Ibrox legions who refuse even to contemplate the thought of him pulling on the light blue jersey again reckon Cove Rangers is a more realistic destination.

When it comes to Rangers fans, rarely has a player divided opinion so much as Miller due to the season spent at Celtic and the manner of his last Ibrox exit.

But even if being part of Gerrard’s squad for the second half of the season might seem far-fetched then maybe a return to the Hummel Training Centre in some capacity isn’t.

Gerrard hasn’t hidden his admiration for Miller, praising the character and mentality of a player who won seven trophies, including three titles in a row, in his time at Ibrox.

Speaking of the surgery he needed to perform on his squad when he arrived, the former Liverpool captain said: “The team needed a spine, a lot of change, it needed big players who weren’t scared of the big
occasion.

It had some and it had a few that were coming to the end that I wished were 10 years younger, like your Kenny Millers.”

That type of mentality and experience could be useful around the Hummell Training Centre, with Nathan Patterson and Kai Kennedy the latest two youngsters to make their first-team debuts.

Former Gers stars Peter Lovenkrands and Kevin Thomson have already made a big impact as coaches along with Brian Gilmour, albeit he never played for the first team.

The next generation of stars couldn’t fail to learn from the experience of Miller who made the absolute most of his talent with a winning mentality that probably proved his downfall at times.]

That attitude played a role in his exit from Ibrox and the fact Graeme Murty still holds a key position in the youth department could be a big hurdle to Miller’s return.

The striker’s third spell at Ibrox came to a controversial end after that infamous Old Firm Scottish Cup semi in 2018 and the alleged post-match rammy that followed the 4-0 defeat.

Miller and Lee Wallace were fined and suspended by the club for a rumoured bust-up with caretaker boss Murty, although the duo later won an SPFL appeal over the club’s punishment.

It still isn’t clear what Miller and Wallace did wrong that day with mixed reports over how much the pair stepped out of line, if at all.

But three years prior to that controversy, Miller started taking his first steps towards a career on the other side of the white line by joining the Under-20 coaching staff, then headed by Ian Durrant.

He wasn’t ready to make that move on a permanent basis back then but admitted: “I am looking to get involved in coaching further down the line. The good thing has been that I’ve been able to do a bit with Durranty with the Under-20s over the last couple of months.

“It’s obviously a step I want to make in a few years’ time – not just quite yet!”

Maybe now Miller’s time has arrived.

Slow news day!! Rangers play tomorrow!! I wonder what malice appears tomorrow morning??

I know he does some punditry,what's he like? Could we have a miller/boyd 'no fecks given' double act. :))

Imagine handing that crap into your editor

"That's me finished boss, a 300 word piece on how Rangers should sign Kenny Miller for a 4th time"

Don't think Gavin will be getting a call from The Athletic any time soon.

%^*& me. No thanks, and what a dreadful piece. The guy had two extra spells at Rangers he shouldn’t have had after his badge slapping exploits across the city. Never again now please, in any capacity.

Tongue firmly in cheek I would say so gave up half way.
Pretending it's a serious article, someone should let Gavin Berry know Rangers signed Jermaine Defoe on loan last year and are looking at potential player/coaching roles for him to extend his stay.

I have a large collection of butt-plugs!
He’d score goals for fun up here!
Jeezus Christ ! Must be a slow new day right enough.

you would wonder at some point these guys that write this drivel would take a moment out ,and just contemplate what they have written,and then they should cringe with embarrassment, really poor stuff this

Isn’t the general consensus on Miller these days that he was a mole for the press, was disruptive in the dressing room and after the stuff with Lee Wallace (that we still don’t know the full story) Rangers were happy he went?

I like Miller for the stuff he did on the pitch but his notion that he was Mr Rangers kind of put me off him a bit

Let’s sign a 40 year old to ensure 55! These people actually get paid for writing this stuff. Crazy.

Kenny would still do a job, for a Championship side, would be surprised if a team like Morton doesn’t snap him up.

Such an obvious story to write for a journo.

I don’t see this happening at all tho but then again, stranger things have happened

Gavin Berry reckons Steven Gerrard should consider moving for the man he name-checked upon his Rangers arrival.

The ink was barely dry on Kenny Miller’s Partick Thistle release papers when the jokes about a return to Rangers for a FOURTH spell started.

As soon as news of the veteran striker’s Firhill departure was announced, a section of the Ibrox support claimed in jest that he would become Steven Gerrard’s first January signing.

It’s a standing joke yet for some it isn’t such a ridiculous prospect, with Miller scoring 10 goals in half a season with the Championship strugglers.

Alfredo Morelos is still suspended and Gerrard could do with a third-choice striker. Morelos’ back-up frontman Jermain Defoecould even lean on 40-year-old Miller!

The former Scotland striker is still keen on extending his playing career but the Ibrox legions who refuse even to contemplate the thought of him pulling on the light blue jersey again reckon Cove Rangers is a more realistic destination.

When it comes to Rangers fans, rarely has a player divided opinion so much as Miller due to the season spent at Celtic and the manner of his last Ibrox exit.

But even if being part of Gerrard’s squad for the second half of the season might seem far-fetched then maybe a return to the Hummel Training Centre in some capacity isn’t.

Gerrard hasn’t hidden his admiration for Miller, praising the character and mentality of a player who won seven trophies, including three titles in a row, in his time at Ibrox.

Speaking of the surgery he needed to perform on his squad when he arrived, the former Liverpool captain said: “The team needed a spine, a lot of change, it needed big players who weren’t scared of the big
occasion.

It had some and it had a few that were coming to the end that I wished were 10 years younger, like your Kenny Millers.”

That type of mentality and experience could be useful around the Hummell Training Centre, with Nathan Patterson and Kai Kennedy the latest two youngsters to make their first-team debuts.

Former Gers stars Peter Lovenkrands and Kevin Thomson have already made a big impact as coaches along with Brian Gilmour, albeit he never played for the first team.

The next generation of stars couldn’t fail to learn from the experience of Miller who made the absolute most of his talent with a winning mentality that probably proved his downfall at times.]

That attitude played a role in his exit from Ibrox and the fact Graeme Murty still holds a key position in the youth department could be a big hurdle to Miller’s return.

The striker’s third spell at Ibrox came to a controversial end after that infamous Old Firm Scottish Cup semi in 2018 and the alleged post-match rammy that followed the 4-0 defeat.

Miller and Lee Wallace were fined and suspended by the club for a rumoured bust-up with caretaker boss Murty, although the duo later won an SPFL appeal over the club’s punishment.

It still isn’t clear what Miller and Wallace did wrong that day with mixed reports over how much the pair stepped out of line, if at all.

But three years prior to that controversy, Miller started taking his first steps towards a career on the other side of the white line by joining the Under-20 coaching staff, then headed by Ian Durrant.

He wasn’t ready to make that move on a permanent basis back then but admitted: “I am looking to get involved in coaching further down the line. The good thing has been that I’ve been able to do a bit with Durranty with the Under-20s over the last couple of months.

“It’s obviously a step I want to make in a few years’ time – not just quite yet!”

Maybe now Miller’s time has arrived.
Maybe now it’s just time we move on from this eh !

This is a joke, there is no chance Miller is coming back he is 40 years old now and well past it at our level.

Gavin Berry is no doubt putting this in the mainstream as a favour to Miller.

I liked Miller the player but get a feeling he would become toxic in what is a harmonious dressing room. He can't help himself.

Gerrard rightly praised him on the past but he won't touch him with a barge pole.

With Miller and Defoe on the books, our front line could broker a bumper sponsorship deal with Ralgex or Stenna Stairlifts.

Back