The key questions that no journo in the land is asking

ifu01334

Did the SPFL ever consider restarting the season?

Was any work or feasibility study carried out into the logistics, costs and art of the possible around restarting in June?

Given the EPL has project restart, the danish league (similar to ours) is restarting, League of Ireland, could Doncaster & Co not have liaised with their neighbours and European counterparts and at least looked into the possibilities?

We already know the answers to all of these questions are NO, which is an absolute scandal. Why is no-one chasing this story down and taking them to task and holding the SPFL to account?

If there is a latent £10m liability to SKY and BT, we need to know how the SPFL is going to deal with this. Simply handing SKY free sponsorship rights is not a good solution, neither is taking a bite out the new deal.

Surely it would have been better to try and restart, incur additional costs (testing, health & safety etc) but overall save on the refund to broadcasters? Ie spend £3m to save paying back £10m?

Final question for SFA - what’s the plan for the Scottish cup? Hearts have been unfairly relegated and forced to cut budgets, release players and cut their cloth.where is the sporting integrity in trying to complete a cup competition where they are so unfairly handicapped? Surely the cup has to be called and declared null and void?

Answers on a postcard.....

TBF I think most clubs said very early they wouldn’t play behind closed doors.

Also Scotland doesn’t have anything close to the money required for the testing that the German and English leagues are doing.

Also Scotland doesn’t have anything close to the money required for the testing that the German and English leagues are doing.
It looks as though the SPFL will start next season behind closed doors and paying for testing. Not sure I see what would be different about doing it for the last 8 or 9 games of this season.

I get tht, but is Denmark any different?

And if someone said you could spend £30 to save repaying £100, would you not at least consider that as it could be a more financially beneficial option?

Was any work or feasibility study carried out into the logistics, costs and art of the possible around restarting in June?

Given the EPL has project restart, the danish league (similar to ours) is restarting, League of Ireland, could Doncaster & Co not have liaised with their neighbours and European counterparts and at least looked into the possibilities?

We already know the answers to all of these questions are NO, which is an absolute scandal. Why is no-one chasing this story down and taking them to task and holding the SPFL to account?

If there is a latent £10m liability to SKY and BT, we need to know how the SPFL is going to deal with this. Simply handing SKY free sponsorship rights is not a good solution, neither is taking a bite out the new deal.

Surely it would have been better to try and restart, incur additional costs (testing, health & safety etc) but overall save on the refund to broadcasters? Ie spend £3m to save paying back £10m?

Final question for SFA - what’s the plan for the Scottish cup? Hearts have been unfairly relegated and forced to cut budgets, release players and cut their cloth.where is the sporting integrity in trying to complete a cup competition where they are so unfairly handicapped? Surely the cup has to be called and declared null and void?

You could get the answers on a stamp

Reactions: o7o
Most journalists and pundits are too busy asking how Rangers can afford to buy a player than bothering with the most corrupt decision ever taken by our national football authority.
I assume " Did the SPFL ever consider restarting the season?" was a rhetorical question, but this reply just about covers it.

Add in the fact the Scottish Government prevented anything happen before 10th June didn't help either

No surprise yesterday 11th June was revealed as the date for clubs to start training again
If there really was a will to get it done, could we not have had, say, 3 weeks training from 11 June and then 2 games per week in July? That would have got it wrapped up by end July / early August would it not? The truth is, there never was a will on the part of the SPFL executive to get it done. The outcome was pre-determined long ago. And sporting integrity sure as heck had nothing to do with it.

The title of your post has you stymied at the get go.

There is no journalist in Scotland, certainly not in football circles, deserving of the name.

The missing Dundee vote is as corrupt as you will ever see, and not one of the sleezebags went after it. It is the most corrupt-scandalous incident you will ever encounter and not a word from these vermin.

Tell you what, Richard Nixon was unlucky. He got Woodward and Bernstein. We get Spiers and Leckie.

Or maybe it is us who are unlucky?

Last edited:
Most journalists and pundits are too busy asking how Rangers can afford to buy a player than bothering with the most corrupt decision ever taken by our national football authority.

It was taken by the club's, was it not?

Clubs and the PFA said they wouldn't play behind closed doors. IIRC Wishart said something along the lines of if fans aren't allowed into grounds then they'll tell their members not they shouldn't.

There was also the issue of players contracts ending tomorrow while clubs couldn't even train until June 10th. (EPL deals typically end June 30th).

Many clubs can't afford to bring players off furlough without gate receipts, which is why the lower leagues will likely get mothballed in fans aren't allowed in any time soon.

Rangers included in that, I think in March we said as such. I think the main point is that is now fact every club could have received the same payment regardless of the vote, no better of and no worse off as of 30th May, the leagues would still have a £10m liability held over its throat either way, BCD is now the only feasible option and Rangers would amend their original standpoint but the difference in all this and football starting back up is with no need absolutely NO NEED we have tainted promotions and relegations, corruption enforced titles handed out and clubs on the brink. Blood on their hands! Some of the blood I'm happy with ;) but there was no need for any of this

If there really was a will to get it done, could we not have had, say, 3 weeks training from 11 June and then 2 games per week in July? That would have got it wrapped up by end July / early August would it not? The truth is, there never was a will on the part of the SPFL executive to get it done. The outcome was pre-determined long ago. And sporting integrity sure as heck had nothing to do with it.

They did say it would take around 5/6 weeks with certain restrictions along the way to get to a fitness level which seems to be case in other countries

I doubt any team could play Saturday-Wednesday-Saturday to get it done it would take it toll on the player hence why this 5 subs was introduced temporarily

Do agree it was pre-determined that we never going to attempt to finish the League season

They are all complicit

Why arent they going mental about the authorities wanting to get the game going again soon after saying that wasnt possible and that corrupt vote.

They are not to he trusted, corrupt and in a fat Tim's back pocket. That's aimed at journalists and the league and governing body.

If we had one single paper or respected journo out there, doing an impartial job, highlighting the lies and corruption of the SPFL, Doncaster and Shifty would already be gone for their complicity in this affair, and Lawwell would be on a sticky wicket.
The propaganda and lies that pass as journalism in Scotland today is a disgrace to that profession. The standard is better suited to Nazi Germany in the 30s than the country our ancestors built.

Hopefully a judge will be asking all these questions soon.

The testing costs could be funded from the Sky down payment, assuming the corrupt feckers haven’t given that away too.

The sky payment is already money most clubs rely on to pay the bills. With no gate money, it's even more critical for them now.

They did say it would take around 5/6 weeks with certain restrictions along the way to get to a fitness level which seems to be case in other countries

I doubt any team could play Saturday-Wednesday-Saturday to get it done it would take it toll on the player hence why this 5 subs was introduced temporarily

Do agree it was pre-determined that we never going to attempt to finish the League season
I get that to a point - I certainly recognise that it is far from perfect from a player fitness perspective. But we are so far from a normal / perfect world at the moment and, in a purely football context, calling a league early is massive. I guess I just think that 3 rather than 6 weeks training and asking players to play twice a week might well have been the “least bad” option.

Even if we had to extend the season through to the end of August, could we not have cut a deal with Sky to start the new deal a month later?

I just don’t think there was ever any interest from Doncaster and co in doing anything other than awarding Celtic a title as early as possible.

Re your Scottish Cup question, is it not the case that players had to be registered for the competition and so Hearts and probably to a lesser extent Hibs and Aberdeen, will be disadvantaged as they will release registered players, possibly sell some of their better players and not be able to play any new signings. Whilst the other lot may do the same it won’t be to the same extent and so they will be advantaged.

Surely the SFA wouldn’t look to run a competition for the benefit of one team? What about Sporting Integrity I hear you all cry.

This season should forever be called the gifted one and have a huge asterisk against it as they will have been gifted a “treble” by the football authorities, the SFA, SPFL and Referees.

Re your Scottish Cup question, is it not the case that players had to be registered for the competition and so Hearts and probably to a lesser extent Hibs and Aberdeen, will be disadvantaged as they will release registered players, possibly sell some of their better players and not be able to play any new signings. Whilst the other lot may do the same it won’t be to the same extent and so they will be advantaged.

Surely the SFA wouldn’t look to run a competition for the benefit of one team? What about Sporting Integrity I hear you all cry.

This season should forever be called the gifted one and have a huge asterisk against it as they will have been gifted a “treble” by the football authorities, the SFA, SPFL and Referees.

Players are registered for the Scottish Cup no differently than they are for the league - although if a game is postponed or goes to a replay, players need to have been eligible to play in the original fixture. The SFA have got discretion in their rules to waive this though and it's almost certainly what will happen given it could be 2021 before the games actually get played and two full transfer windows could have passed.

The only question that was asked was :

How do we get Celtic the title ?

All other questions remain unasked.

I get that to a point - I certainly recognise that it is far from perfect from a player fitness perspective. But we are so far from a normal / perfect world at the moment and, in a purely football context, calling a league early is massive. I guess I just think that 3 rather than 6 weeks training and asking players to play twice a week might well have been the “least bad” option.

Even if we had to extend the season through to the end of August, could we not have cut a deal with Sky to start the new deal a month later?

I just don’t think there was ever any interest from Doncaster and co in doing anything other than awarding Celtic a title as early as possible.

If you follow the English approach we could played mid June to end of July without to much pressure on the players fitness but at the end of the day it need Government approval to start playing again and the cost involved as well

Yes there would have been some talks involving Sky to agreed to a delay in the new contract

I think your last point is closer to the truth and that the SPFL put a mandate in place to allow it happen

If you follow the English approach we could played mid June to end of July without to much pressure on the players fitness but at the end of the day it need Government approval to start playing again and the cost involved as well

Yes there would have been some talks involving Sky to agreed to a delay in the new contract

I think your last point is closer to the truth and that the SPFL put a mandate in place to allow it happen

Do you think the lower division clubs voted for it to happen just to give Celtic the title despite the financial problems it's causing for their own clubs?

Other than the big 4 leagues the following will be back playing Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Norway, Poland, Portugal and Romania.

Rangers should be going mental right now

Do you think the lower division clubs voted for it to happen just to give Celtic the title despite the financial problems it's causing for their own clubs?

I don't think any of them would have done it other than for financial reasons

Championship, League 1 & 2 could really never have waited for a restart IMO

I don't any of them would have done it other than for financial reasons

Championship, League 1 & 2 could really never have waited for a restart IMO
I think that is absolutely right. If we are honest, the interests and business models of 30 or so of the 42 SPL clubs is so different from the other 12 or so that it is absurd that the lower league clubs have so much influence on the top league clubs and vice versa. The recent voting has really shone a light on that.

Not that I am normally a fan of Strachan, but he did make some valid points recently as to the enormous differences between full time clubs and more “community” type part time clubs.

The honest answer, not that you’ll ever hear it. Celtc were worried UEFA would declare null and void. Celtc wanted bonus money from their sponsors. Celtc demanded the tainted title. It is not about participation in CL qualifiers in my opinion since with a N & V decision they would have been put forward anyway.

This.

Quite the opposite in fact Ald.

No, but I personally think they were coerced into it with SPFL lies & misinformation Dude.

And that includes the ‘feed’ to the SMSM months ago that null & void was not acceptable financially whereby the reality exposed by Rangers Football Club was that null &
Void & what ultimately happened was the same financial outcome.

Corrupt to the core.

Answers on the back of a Stamp !

Other than the big 4 leagues the following will be back playing Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Norway, Poland, Portugal and Romania.

Rangers should be going mental right now

Absolutely damning evidence on the SPFL.

And this notion of the 750m hit in England ? The 10m up here was our equivalent. As another poster said, were we to spend 3m to save 10m why the hell not do it ? In the same calendar year it’s very clear this would be the right business decision.

No, but I personally think they were coerced into it with SPFL lies & misinformation Dude.

And that includes the ‘feed’ to the SMSM months ago that null & void was not acceptable financially whereby the reality exposed by Rangers Football Club was that null &
Void & what ultimately happened was the same financial outcome.

Corrupt to the core.

I was told directly by one club's chairman as early as mid-March that void was more harmful than ending it. And they've been continually critical of the SPFL after being denied a playoff spot despite being a point or two off top.

It's difficult to ask when the executive are doing Q&As with themselves and only doing interviews with pre-determined questions.

Incidentally, the BBC were a disgrace in allowing Doncaster to dictate their interview.

I was told directly by one club's chairman as early as mid-March that void was more harmful than ending it. And they've been continually critical of the SPFL after being denied a playoff spot despite being a point or two off top.

They were lied to, as you have illustrated here mate.

I couldn’t understand the basis of their claims given that the same amount of matches would not be televised under each option.

Was that Falkirk who told you that or are you not allowed to say ?

It's difficult to ask when the executive are doing Q&As with themselves and only doing interviews with pre-determined questions.

Incidentally, the BBC were a disgrace in allowing Doncaster to dictate their interview.

Agree BB. And given that organisation had been lied to by Doncaster just two/three weeks before makes it even more sinister.

They were lied to, as you have illustrated here mate.

I couldn’t understand the basis of their claims given that the same amount of matches would not be televised under each option.

Was that Falkirk who told you that or are you not allowed to say ?
The chairman wasn't told it by the SPFL, he was saying it based on their own contracts with various partners.
Aye, it was the bairns.

But are they not going to be doing in regards to testing etc the same as the Germans and English when the new season starts ?

Yep, and the refereeing in the LC Final, as you allude to, should not be forgotten.

But are they not going to be doing in regards to testing etc the same as the Germans and English when the new season starts ?

I think Mancbear’s post 29 pretty much highlights a much more justifiable basis for our league Stevie.

Are we ANY different to these countries ?

The SPFL finished the season as quickly as possible incurring a £10M penalty from broadcasters, so that Celtic could be free of the threat of current sponsors New Balance insisting that their deal would be valid for another season. I believe they saw nine in a row as a major advertising opportunity.
This would have scuppered Cetlics new multi million deal with Adidas.
This story has been doing the rounds for weeks, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's pretty near the mark.
Our games has to be the most corrupt in world football.

I think Mancbear’s post 29 pretty much highlights a much more justifiable basis for our league Stevie.

Are we ANY different to these countries ?
How many players in those leagues will be free agents as if midnight tomorrow? It's around 110 in the Scottish Premiership

How many players in those leagues will be free agents as if midnight tomorrow? It's around 110 in the Scottish Premiership
Surely there has to be a practical solution? Clubs will need players from 11th anyway to start training. Very few clubs in Europe are signing anyone right now. I’m sure players could have unilaterally agreed to a 2month contract extension on same terms to complete the season? These guys have families and would welcome some certainty also re salaries etc.
as another poster said, we are in unprecedented times and pragmatic solutions are being put in place all across the world. The Prem has same issue down south and will have a ready made solution, as will all other leagues restarting. Using this as the reason not to is a cop out imho

Back