The kids are alright !

Q11

Several excellent performances from the young team today. Played football in the right way. Lowry a joy to behold and McCann ready to play a part also. Solid defending and confidence by Devine all game.

I thought they all done excellently against a Hearts team that should have been playing for a start next week. Lowry should start every week, the boy has it all ahead of him. His goal was superb, and again, against a top goalie.
The thing that impressed me most was how they all played like they were playing another B team, not overawed by the crowd or the occasion.
With Gio and Vos these kids could make the grade, and in a Rangers jersey!

Todays game at Tynecastle saw debuts handed to some of the young players we’ve been hearing good things about. I don’t know about anyone else, but I thought the more youngsters we brought on the better we looked. Sure some will argue Hearts players will have had an eye on the final and the match was irrelevant as far as any league standings went, but I thought some of the football played was excellent. Talk of extending loans for players and getting others in on similar deals, Billy Gilmour apart, might not be the best idea given the young talent we have in our own club.

Lowry, King, McCann and Devine can and should all be a part of the rotation next season.

Tav is rarely unavailable and Devine showed more than enough that he could easily be our back up RB.

McCann showed he is capable of being our 4th choice CM. Great technique, passing and showed nice attacking intent.

Lowry no need to go into any detail about his ability. It speaks for itself. Will hopefully have a big role next season

King had a good solid game playing out of position. Fantastic technique and is probably our 4th choice CB next season. Also has great versatility and cover at RB and LB.

I thought McKinnon and McAussland came on and solid games.

McAussland had good technique and wasn't afraid to take on his man. McAussland was also defensively quite aware and did well in that sense.

McKinnon had a good solid game and seems well rounded. Scored a lovely goal and hopefully kicks on. He loves Rangers and has an eye for goal, that's something we want in our midfield in the future.

Weston wasn't really involved but showed a great deal of work rate. My worry is his height and weight will make it difficult for him to come through as a ST.

Lowry with a goal and an assist for today. Not bad return, had some lovely touches.

McCann played like he had been for years.

Devine, solid, not phased at all.

King, probably the quietest of them all, but didnt look out of place, he most likely stopped a goal by tracking back McKay.

Cole MacKinnon, lovely goal against a top keeper.

Next season I wouldnt have a problem with any of them playing and think Lowry and McCann will be 1st team players proper.

I thought they all done excellently against a Hearts team that should have been playing for a start next week. Lowry should start every week, the boy has it all ahead of him. His goal was superb, and again, against a top goalie.
The thing that impressed me most was how they all played like they were playing another B team, not overawed by the crowd or the occasion.
Maybe not in the blood & thunder of the 1st couple of OF games, but seeing that today now gives me no fear of 3 or 4 of these young Bears in matchday squads.
Very composed on & off the ball.

You mention Gilmour there. I wonder if there’s any part of him wishing he stayed the course a few years. Without doubt he would be in that team on Wed night and then gone on to a big club south making us a fortune and probably ending up on more money than he is now wherever he went. I get the Chelsea move was life changing but that was always going to be the case if he stayed or not. Obviously with the caveat that he didn’t get a career ending injury. Still gonna be a top top player. Just got me thinking.

I know there was nothing really to play for and no I'm not getting carried away but what a satisfying work out that was for the club.

Devine I thought started quite poor but got better as the game went on and had a right steady performance. Nothing fancy but done everything what was needed.

Lowry is a superb player. A little bit of decision-making perhaps to improve but that will 100% come (and soon) - his development is coming on leaps.

Great finish from McKinnon at the end too. As good as the Hearts opener.

and above all else the top hitters and guaranteed starters were all kept fresh for the European final. Perfect.

Well done all round to everyone.
I posted during the week that this kid plays like he’s played a hundred games.
Maybe not much competition but, the best kid since Ferguson.

Reactions: TQ3
Excellent from the young lads today and they all look so comfortable on the ball. Lowry is the standout and will definitely make the step up. Needs to work on the defensive side of the game but that will come with time.

Thought Devine and King wer outstanding today and Lowry even tho he hasn't played that many games your expecting him to have these performances. Outstanding talent out there.

After Lowry the two full backs stood out for me. They were tested at times, but came through with flying colours. McCanns howed up well the time he was on, and the McKinnon/McAusland combination for the third was a thing of beauty

Thought the young guns were terrific. At times Hearts couldn't get a hold of the ball. For years now Rangers have been adding bang average squad players when on reflection from today's performance these kids are more than ready. Wasted money on Simpson ittens Middletons Jones ohalloran the list goes on. Yes we have to protect these young prodigies but they have never let us down when called upon.

Because of this talented group our transfer budget won’t have to be spread across the team on medium priced players. Instead we’ll be able to concentrate on a few higher quality players in key positions with these young men capable of backing up and challenging for places. It’s all good.

Because of this talented group our transfer budget won’t have to be spread across the team on medium priced players. Instead we’ll be able to concentrate on a few higher quality players in key positions with these young men capable of backing up and challenging for places. It’s all good.
This 100%, my thoughts exactly.

It was excellent viewing today.

We've come to expect great showings from Lowry but the last 3 games getting to see the other emerging youngsters has been very encouraging.

Thats another Lowry goal i have seen and some of them were passing the ball into the net he is a cross of Bobby Russell and Ian Durrant imo

Much of the second half was our current B team versus our B team from 10 years ago.

It was like the 80s and 90s again, with a Hearts team full of ex-Gers.

Devine and King looked solid and mature, Lowry did what we now almost routinely expect Lowry to do. The others still look like they need another year or two of physical development but the ability is there.

Thrilled with that display from the young guys. Hard not to get carried away - Hearts clearly playing with a focus on the final - but everybody impressed to some extent. I thought King struggled a bit at left-back at times, from what I've seen so far he seems far better at centre-half but I'll defer to people who have seen more of him than I have. Even so, he was very good for the most part despite the occasional difficulty.

McCann and Lowry were sublime and Devine really impressed. I think the Polish fella could be moved on this summer because with the little amount of time Tav spends out the side, we'd be absolutely grand using Devine and bringing him along.

Loved what I saw from McAusland and McKinnon too, the latter's goal was a cracking finish.

Lowry and King will be around the first XI next season and I'd hope we see Devine and McCann brought through over the year too.

Not a youth player but I thought Sands had a great game for the most part too. Bullied a bit for their goal but otherwise really solid.

They all done well, but Hearts were barely going 100 miles an hour in a typical end of season game. Might be a different story if it's the first game of the new season at Tynecastle with tackles flying in everywhere.

The young lads played superb today and didn't look out of place compared to the senior players, was a cracking team performance overall!

Side note: how did Juan Alegria do at Thistle? Will he be B-Team next year or on loan again?

think a season as 3rd or 4th choice would be good for him as long as he gets plenty game time
I sense he has ambition which we would do well to match.

Think he needs plenty opportunities next season and assuming he develops the way many expect, he may look to be a first pick by the following season.

Back