The last penalty shoot out we lost?

Pvt. Hudson

Just watched highlights of the youngsters winning the cup, Absolutely amazing achievement, congratulations to them all.

It got me thinking about us in penalty shootouts, if I remember we have had quite a a good record, obviously Florence and the semi win against them. When and who did we lose to?

Not answering the question, but the first one I remember us losing was the Dryborough Cup at Hampden v Celtic. Round about 1974?

In my time we haven’t lost many that I can think of. The ones mentioned above and against Dortmund in 1999. Before my time, but our most famous penalty shootout ‘loss’ must be against Sporting Lisbon on the way to Barcelona in 1972. We lost on penalties but should have gone through on away goals, I think it was a member of the press that pointed this out, Rangers went through after the referee was told. The away goals rule had just been introduced I think.

In my time we haven’t lost many that I can think of. The ones mentioned above and against Dortmund in 1999. Before my time, but our most famous penalty shootout ‘loss’ must be against Sporting Lisbon on the way to Barcelona in 1972. We lost on penalties but should have gone through on away goals, I think it was a member of the press that pointed this out, Rangers went through after the referee was told. The away goals rule had just been introduced I think.
I can't imagine that the Scottish press corps would be so quick to assist these days...

Just watched highlights of the youngsters winning the cup, Absolutely amazing achievement, congratulations to them all.

It got me thinking about us in penalty shootouts, if I remember we have had quite a a good record, obviously Florence and the semi win against them. When and who did we lose to?

Where did you see highlights mate ?

I’ve been gagging for footage all day . Hoping Julie on here can put it together in a package

Appropriate thread to post

The tradition of ‘No Surrender’ and winning a shoot out was continued. From about 4th set onwards

Dortmund away in 1999 was a massive kick in the balls. That team should really have went on to win the UEFA Cup. We got complacent home and away in the tie. It should have been over in the first leg.

Dortmund away in 1999 was a massive kick in the balls. That team should really have went on to win the UEFA Cup. We got complacent home and away in the tie. It should have been over in the first leg.
I’d say that 1st leg is arguably Rangers best performance ever

If we lose on penalties in the cup next week then it’s the op’s fault.

We've been relatively lucky with them in my.lifetime . Similarly with last day / last minute winners in games / leagues

I've a fear thats gonna hit me hard st some point

That was my first thought but QotS would be correct.
We lost a Euro tie under Advocaat, around the same time, I think, so I’d need to check this.
All in all though, we seem to have a pretty decent penalty shoot out record.

Edit: oops, been a clown.
Intended editing previous post but replied to in error.

In my time we haven’t lost many that I can think of. The ones mentioned above and against Dortmund in 1999. Before my time, but our most famous penalty shootout ‘loss’ must be against Sporting Lisbon on the way to Barcelona in 1972. We lost on penalties but should have gone through on away goals, I think it was a member of the press that pointed this out, Rangers went through after the referee was told. The away goals rule had just been introduced I think.[/QUOTE]
Not the away goals rule in itself, it was that the goal we got in extra time should have counted as well.
That was the new rule.

That dud keeper we had in the 2nd led played a big part.

Remember Neil McCann missing a virtual open goal in extra time too.

Was one of 12,000 bears in Paris that night absolutely phenomenal atmosphere. PSG had some team including Ronaldinho Arteta Anelka Jay Jay Okocha and Spurs boss Pochetino.

I was in the PSG end that night. Interesting night.

That dud keeper we had in the 2nd led played a big part.

Remember Neil McCann missing a virtual open goal in extra time too.

Did that game kick of at a daft time in the afternoon for German TV, or is that another game I’m getting mixed up with?

Think that was Kaiserslautern away.

Was it the Dortmund game their keeper came up and played a part in the goal right at the death that took the game into extra time? My memory is terrible at times.

Was it the Dortmund game their keeper came up and played a part in the goal right at the death that took the game into extra time? My memory is terrible at times.

It was mate yeah. It was Jens Lehmann who went on to play for Arsenal. Awful defending from us.

He also saved about 3 penalties in the shoot out the big fucker

Did that game kick of at a daft time in the afternoon for German TV, or is that another game I’m getting mixed up with?

Yes it was an early KO, I missed extra time because I was playing football that evening :(

It was mate yeah. It was Jens Lehmann who went on to play for Arsenal. Awful defending from us.

I never realised it was Lehmann, I just remember being gutted at the time.

My recollection of this is that he made mess of our defenders at the corner but the ball just happened to drop at their best strikers’ feet.
Funny how that keeps happening to good strikers!

Agreed. We played them off the park, but as happened against Parma and both games against Bayern, we didn’t make our superiority count.

You could see Dortmund’s equaliser in the second leg coming a mile off, and the second it went in, I knew we’d lose.

That fucking Queen of the South game was horrific. Wore a tshirt to the game which was alright at 7.30 but into extra time and then penalties to then get beat - I was fucking freezing.

Back