The last time you wanted a Scottish team to do well in Europe?

I was mildly pleased when Aberdeen drew 2-2 with Bayern Munich once, but that was only because it showed that a Scottish team could at least trade goals with a top class side. I still laughed at them like f#ck when they got horsed into another dimension in the 2nd leg.

Loved the way Dundee Utd played in Europe.
They had some brilliant results against some top teams.

To think they took a 2-0 lead to Italy in the semi final of the European cup.
Was absolutely gutted they never made it to the final against Liverpool.

Absolutely detest them now and wish them nothing but pain.
Do you actually see Dundee Utd; how you`ve become ?
Never again there.

I was okay with the sheep getting past Xmas in 07-08. Didn’t cheer them on, right enough.
Actively wanting others to win - Aberdeen v Real Madrid, Dun Utd v Gothenburg and Barcelona. And Raith Rovers.
Yeah I was quite happy for them to make it past Christmas in 07/08. Tbh I don’t mind any Scottish team getting past Christmas with the exception of the mob from the east end. As long as we go further of course.

Dundee United were tremendous in the 80s. I have an abiding memory of me and my best mate slipping out of School early to meet his dad and head up to tannadice to see a quarter final v bohemians Prague.

A 0-0 shitter of a game, the terraces were packed under the lights but it still left a huge impression on me as a young lad and until recent times I had always looked fondly on United.

The hatred in Scottish football is crap now and killing our game. %^*& Celtic, they are evil and destroy the value in everything with their one club policy.

QOS in 08 my hometown club and the only time they have ever been in Europe, if the league got played to a finish and a Motherwell qualified I wouldn’t be adverse to them doing well!

As a kid I cheered on Dundee United in 86/87 and Hearts in 88/89 during their UEFA Cup runs.

Being honest though (and taking everything else into account) which other Scottish team apart from us and them have had such a run that you could get behind them ?

Aberdeen in 07/08 and that was never ever a starter for me.

Iain Ferguson was excellent in both runs.

Scored against Barcelona in the Camp Nou and against Bayern at Tynecastle.

In my formative years, the sixties and seventies, I generally would want a British team to beat a foreign team. Apart from SepCo of course who don’t qualify as British in any case. Now, after years of unwavering hatred directed towards us, I take great delight in watching other Scottish sides get stuffed by European opposition.

I still reserve a special place in my heart for every SepCo defeat.

To improve the brand of Scottish football and to bring wealth to more clubs it’s healthy for all Scottish teams to do well in Europe. It improves our domestic league and affords clubs better players making our league better. I’d rather we had the situation as in England where all our qualified clubs progress. I’d rather be slagging off an Aberdeen fan for getting knocked out in the quaters of a euro competition and us making the final than slagging them off for not getting past a qualifying round. When Scottish clubs don’t even get past a qualifying round it’s a stark reminder of how shit a league we are in.

To be honest I would like Killie, Aberdeen ect to put a better performance in Europe.

They are not going to get far enough that they could upstage us, but it will get the league some coefficient points and build up a bit of credibility.

Dundee Utd in 86/87, especially against the cheating, filthy scum of Borussia Moenchengladbach.

Nowadays I celebrate whenever any other Scottish team loses in Europe. F**k the coefficient and f**k them.

Although I have no affinity to them, ICT a few years ago. Only because I live near them.

many on here will have known gary lynch, his user name was rememberthewink.
a few years ago he was on ssb phone -in. i can;t remember the subject but the call ended with the ssb guy saying" thanks for the call, i'm sure you wish all scotland's teams well in europe"
gary replied "no chance, i hope thay all get beat except rangers"
spoken like a true rangers fan.

I remember Dunfermline playing West Brom away in 1968/69. The pars fans came out with a rendition of Derry’s Walls, and I therefore immediately wanted them to win.
Anybody else remember this?

Raith Rovers vs Bayern Munich
Motherwell vs Borussia Dortmund

Those are the genuinely the only ones I can think of.

Apart from celtc, I don't actively want other Scottish teams to lose, I just don't care much one way or the other, regardless of co-efficient benefits. In the past, I wanted them to win, apart from celtc.

Iain Ferguson was excellent in both runs.

Scored against Barcelona in the Camp Nou and against Bayern at Tynecastle.

Goal against Bayern was a belter.

I'm sure him and Redford got the goals in the SF against Gladbach as well.

Not many Scottish players can say they've scored against Inter Milan, Barcelona and Bayern Munich but he can.

I tend to hope all the Scottish teams , except septic do well in Europe , it’s been a bit of a waste of time recently .

Goal against Bayern was a belter.

I'm sure him and Redford got the goals in the SF against Gladbach as well.

Not many Scottish players can say they've scored against Inter Milan, Barcelona and Bayern Munich but he can.

Yip, a top player was Fergie. Proved it every where he played.

Ferguson scored in Mönchengladbach and Redford did indeed seal it in injury time to give Utd a 2:0 victory over two legs having played out a 0:0 bore fest at Tannadice.

Mönchengladbach had put us out in an earlier round in the competition that very year.

Reactions: SDF
In the past I never really bothered what other Scottish teams (except the mentally challengeds) did in Europe - if they had a good result that was fine.
Now I view them all as mentally challenged-lite and would have them all in every match thrashed to within an inch of their footballing life.

I don’t think I’ve ever wished any other club to do well in Europe. Especially in recent years when I enjoy each and everyone of them get humped.

Like so many on hear cheers when the sheep won it, backed Dundee Utd to the hilt however must have got worse in my old age as cant even bring myself to want Kilmarnock to draw in Europe now. The one constant since birth is wanting the bheggers humped even at Ludo

Ferguson scored in Mönchengladbach and Redford did indeed seal it in injury time to give Utd a 2:0 victory over two legs having played out a 0:0 bore fest at Tannadice.

Mönchengladbach had put us out in an earlier round in the competition that very year.

Aye, away goals in round 3. With a little help from the ref mind you.

I watched the whole 90 minutes of the Rangers/Inter game the other night from that footballia.net site and his goals that night were excellent, this after Ally's horrendous missed header in the first leg. Who would have guessed how their Ibrox careers were to unfold.
I was in the East Enclosure that night and like most round about me thought that Fergie would eventually be a huge star for us.

Probably Dundee Utd in Eufa cup final , now I wanted Killie battered by those part time sheep shaggers didn’t matter how bad it made Scottish football look.

The tramps apart I was always content to see Scottish clubs prosper in Europe. Can remember the arabs, sheep, Dundee, Raith & Dunfermline have some good results.

Nowadays I don’t subscribe to the camp that wants to see them burn but I honestly couldn’t give a Donald Duck what they do.

Before 2012 I used to route for every Scottish club in Europe bar Celtic.

Wouldn't go about my way to watch it but quite liked seeing them do well.

Back