The League Cup becoming a Nations Cup

Would certainly make the fixtures more interesting even if the English teams weren't playing full strength teams

Remember Coca Cola talking about doing something like this when they sponsored the league cups in Scotland and England.

Never got off the ground then and I doubt very much it would now.

A side point, I noticed a poster talking about the Anglo-Scottish Cup, I’m too young to remember that but I do remember the Anglo-Italian Cup, only thanks to Champ Manager Italia.

In theory it would be brilliant but in reality the big guns down there would disregard it and then winning it wouldn’t be as high as you’d like to think

Although the big guns would disregard it to some extent - its not that far removed from their current attitude to the league cup (both in England and to an extent here) that it serves as a distraction, so a slightly different format would still be an improvement at least.

And lets face it, most premier league 2nd tier squads are still of a high standard and getting into the Semis or the Final would still be a big deal.

Perhaps winning it could be a qualifier to the new format Uefa Cup group stages giving Scottish teams and mid tier english teams a second door into what looks like an increasingly closed shop.

If it was taken from the last 16 in each competition and setup so and English team play a Scottish team at that stage then it would be more interesting. From each stage after that you could make sure any Scottish teams that are left play English teams.

Here's the last 16 from both cups this season.

English
Burton Albion
Leicester
Crawley
Colchester
Everton
Watford
Man City
Southampton
Oxford
Sunderland
Liverpool
Arsenal
Aston Villa
Wolves
Chelsea
Man Utd

Scottish
Motherwell
Hearts
Hibs
Morton
Partick Thistle
Ross County
Celtic
Dunfermline
Forfar
Livingston
Kilmarnock
Hamilton
Dundee
Aberdeen
East Fife
Rangers

Imagine Liverpool v East Fife!

It would be great, but I don’t see English Premier League teams being particularly keen for trips to Ross County or St Johnstone.

Although the big guns would disregard it to some extent - its not that far removed from their current attitude to the league cup (both in England and to an extent here) that it serves as a distraction, so a slightly different format would still be an improvement at least.

And lets face it, most premier league 2nd tier squads are still of a high standard and getting into the Semis or the Final would still be a big deal.

Perhaps winning it could be a qualifier to the new format Uefa Cup group stages giving Scottish teams and mid tier english teams a second door into what looks like an increasingly closed shop.
Yeah true and by the time you get to the semis and finals we would probably be coming up against full strength sides. Also might be demanded by fans worried about us Scots coming down and beating them

Could be a decent competition if there's a European spot on offer for the winners. Even some mid-table EPL teams would want to enter.

I think i may have missed the initial report - but did Gerrard propose that making the League Cup into a Nations Cup where teams from the whole of the UK would play each other - much in the way that the Tunnock's Cup was this year.

I think it would be a great idea - interest in the cup is waining both here and in England and this would be a great way to mix it up and energise the competition. Im sure it would bring up some more interesting a juicy ties than St Johnstone V Hearts for the umpteen-thousandth time. Plus Rangers and them v the Big Premier League teams would be an attractive prospect to sponsers without merging the leagues.

The main moans seem to be that there would be potential travel involved - but in truth its as easy to get to most anywhere in England or even Northern Ireland as it is to get to Aberdeen or Inverness. Plus The smaller teams could qualify through local pyramids in the earlier rounds.

Sam Cosgrove on Off the Ball hated the idea, which is enough to make me think it would be great!
I still think most of the big teams would play a second eleven. I think it would be ideal for the youth teams,given it would be a proper competition and not a second rate cup competition,could be interesting though.

It's one of those ideas that people would look back on and say "what were they thinking?!" Most of the games would be midweek and attendances would generally be pitiful. If most of our SPL "neighbours" can only bring a few hundred to Ibrox, they'd be lucky to get a few dozen traveling down south.

English clubs don't think much of their league cup as it it, the thought of playing hearts would be enough for them to fight for it to be scrapped.

Fukk aye please. Would rather watch the Bears against Liverpool reserves than Hamilton.
With apologies to Accademical on here. :cool:

Would be a fantastic change to the current set up really dont care about the LC in etheir country as things stand.

It would be great. But perhaps we should play all rounds in Scotland up until the quarters. Then those 8 sides join at a stage in the English League cup. That would maybe lessen the chance of some horrific match ups like Alloa Vs Man City or something like that

We would end up playing Chelsea under 23s or something.

In saying that it would still be better than playing the likes of St Mirren.

Always thought it would be a decent idea if the winner of the English league cup was awarded an extra 3-5 points in the league. Would give it more significance and you’d hopefully see the bigger teams actually caring about it

Texico Cup/Anglo Scottish Cup springs to mind, don't think the big boys down south will be interested, tbh.

Top English teams have no interest in League cup as it is. Don’t really think being drawn against Ross county , Falkirk etc is going to change that.

They couldn't care less about their own cups. They would rather finish 12th in the league than 13th with two cups.

I don't think introducing English reserve teams to our cup will not make it anymore interesting and will just end up with more games to play.

Back