The letter from Rev Stuart MacQuarrie which prompted me to stand for Club 1872

Malcom Murray fronted up for the horrible crew who were running our club into the ground. He was happy to strut about as Chairman and helped prop up the regime.
Graham Wallace was another guy who appeared lifted about £350k for a years work and contributed eff all. Then there was Mather the slick salesman who would give ye the boak.
thank God for our current board!
I'll give Malcolm his due, he paid £100K out his own pocket for an eletricity Bill at the beginning
He also has a ticket for Bar72 and is 100% one of us
Just got a using like a lot of people including Walter, both were in it for the right reasons

PERSONAL STATEMENT

I believe I can help grow the membership, cashflow and install high levels of corporate governance and transparency, which will be a beacon for other clubs to follow and for FAs to admire. I have spent a lot of the last nine years trying to bring the people that hurt Rangers to justice. This has been both costly and dangerous. I have the highest level of referees available and influential contacts in finance, football, media and politics- which will be used to Club 72’s advantage.

I think the highlighted part speaks volumes.
Was there not rumours at the time of him receiving threats ?
Never worry about the people that threaten you, let them worry about the repurcussions if said threat is carried out

I'll give Malcolm his due, he paid £100K out his own pocket for an eletricity Bill at the beginning
He also has a ticket for Bar72 and is 100% one of us
Just got a using like a lot of people including Walter, both were in it for the right reasons
He was a best naive but his behaviour after they were ousted and DK and the new directors took over wasn’t exactly supportive. I believe he is close to that destructive wannabe politician from Ayrshire and bad mouthed the club because because they were not invited on to the Board.
Walter stepped away as soon as he realised what was going on. Others like MM enjoyed the blazer.

Just read this whole thread and as a C1872 member since it's formation, it depresses the life out of me.

The treatment of Rev MacQuarrie is disgusting, as is the behaviour of the 3 directors.

I really don't want to cancel my DD, but it's not the organisation I signed up to in it's infancy.

Just read this whole thread and as a C1872 member since it's formation, it depresses the life out of me.

The treatment of Rev MacQuarrie is disgusting, as is the behaviour of the 3 directors.

I really don't want to cancel my DD, but it's not the organisation I signed up to in it's infancy.
That’s how I feel MU. It would be easy to cancel, but what then? It’s a significant shareholding in RIFC and the more people that walk away as members then the less representative it becomes of the fans as a whole. Equally, right now I’m putting money (albeit each month is less than the price of a single days‘ train ticket into London) an organisation that is failing, is broken and isn't representative of the body we all signs up for.

Its an awful choice.

It has been good to read some discussion about the three candidates on here though. It is depressing that the Kevin Muscat threads get significantly more comments, but at least there is some discussion on the relative merits of the three guys the C1872 Directors have allowed to be put forward.

That’s how I feel MU. It would be easy to cancel, but what then? It’s a significant shareholding in RIFC and the more people that walk away as members then the less representative it becomes of the fans as a whole. Equally, right now I’m putting money (albeit each month is less than the price of a single days‘ train ticket into London) an organisation that is failing, is broken and isn't representative of the body we all signs up for.

Its an awful choice.

It has been good to read some discussion about the three candidates on here though. It is depressing that the Kevin Muscat threads get significantly more comments, but at least there is some discussion on the relative merits of the three guys the C1872 Directors have allowed to be put forward.
I'm going to invest in the new share issue mate, which is fresh money for the club.

I have far more trust and confidence in the current board of our football club, than those of C1872.

I think I'll cancel my C1872 subscription, if and when I get my new shares.

Small point of clarification received from the Rev.

Dear Mark,

May I clarify a part of my original email to you. In the email I referred to Laura Fawkes who had earlier discussed the matter as presenting the paper relating to allegation that had arisen with one candidate, during the election process. If I may take the opportunity to correct this as in fact it was Euan MacFarlane who presented these allegations from the chair. The substantive point remains that these serious allegations of “breaches of election rules and other unacceptable conduct” were made against a member of Club 1872. The member was not informed of these allegations let alone given sight of them in order that she may respond and it was determined that any future application to stand as a candidate for election would be rejected.
Kind regards,

Stuart

Dear Mark,

May I clarify a part of my original email to you. In the email I referred to Laura Fawkes who had earlier discussed the matter as presenting the paper relating to allegation that had arisen with one candidate, during the election process. If I may take the opportunity to correct this as in fact it was Euan MacFarlane who presented these allegations from the chair. The substantive point remains that these serious allegations of “breaches of election rules and other unacceptable conduct” were made against a member of Club 1872. The member was not informed of these allegations let alone given sight of them in order that she may respond and it was determined that any future application to stand as a candidate for election would be rejected.
Kind regards,

Stuart
I did e-mail them on 27th May seeking clarification on this but, you guessed it, no response has been received.

Dear Mark,

May I clarify a part of my original email to you. In the email I referred to Laura Fawkes who had earlier discussed the matter as presenting the paper relating to allegation that had arisen with one candidate, during the election process. If I may take the opportunity to correct this as in fact it was Euan MacFarlane who presented these allegations from the chair. The substantive point remains that these serious allegations of “breaches of election rules and other unacceptable conduct” were made against a member of Club 1872.
The member was not informed of these allegations let alone given sight of them in order that she may respond and it was determined that any future application to stand as a candidate for election would be rejected.
Kind regards,

Stuart

That alone strikes me as a breach of at least the principles of a fair hearing

Club 1872 key goal is to give the fans a say on the board but based on anecdotes in this thread it acts in a highly centralised manner which is incompatible. It needs a total refresh of people running it and to reappraise it’s understanding of what it really wants to do and can do with any power (25%+) it gets in shares. Given the benign nature of the current board I’m struggling to make sense of it and in terms of combating any malign future board it just doesn’t seem to have the leadership to get enough fans behind it. Best thing they could do is dissolve themselves whilst setting up a new model with new ideas and transferring funds to that as it seems to be there to perpetuate the status quo which a large number of folk don’t like and won’t buy into.

Club 1872 key goal is to give the fans a say on the board but based on anecdotes in this thread it acts in a highly centralised manner which is incompatible. It needs a total refresh of people running it and to reappraise it’s understanding of what it really wants to do and can do with any power (25%+) it gets in shares. Given the benign nature of the current board I’m struggling to make sense of it and in terms of combating any malign future board it just doesn’t seem to have the leadership to get enough fans behind it. Best thing they could do is dissolve themselves whilst setting up a new model with new ideas and transferring funds to that as it seems to be there to perpetuate the status quo which a large number of folk don’t like and won’t buy into.
And then the whole thing would repeat with the new setup. It’s depressing, so many groups - all with good intentions and all with well-meaning people - and yet it inevitably turns into a mess. I‘m not convinced it’s all down to the organisations or even the folk running them. Many on here supported the RST, many didn’t. Similar with Rangers First. Good folk, good intentions. As a collective body though the Rangers support seems to hate the whole concept of coming together and having someone ‘speak’ for them.

Last edited:
The club 1872 model is fine with independent, skilled directors. The problem is a lot of professional people avoid it because it can be a bit of a poison chalice. Also the "clique" of the current directors means they control the agenda through majority which is where the current problems are coming from.

I'm going to invest in the new share issue mate, which is fresh money for the club.

I have far more trust and confidence in the current board of our football club, than those of C1872.

I think I'll cancel my C1872 subscription, if and when I get my new shares.
Yeah, I am doing likewise in the share issue. Always nice to add to my own, direct shareholding but I really wanted C1872 to work. As individual shareholders, it is nice to have a stake. As part of a significant shareholding we have power. Such a shame that is not being properly managed today.

I've taken the time to read through a lot of this thread and if even one per cent of the allegations are true it is absolutely disgraceful. This mess needs sorting out and quickly. Shame on anyone who takes the rangers support for granted.

Can't disagree with you, there. There is no reason at all to believe that the current board is talking closely with C1872, never mind coming close to offering it a seat on the board.

Even worse, I fear, is that this proposed share offer seems aimed at Club1872 and, for whatever reason, its relationship with Dave King. The Board must know that a fan offer such as this, with the money going to the football club, would result in a goodly number of fans switching from C1872 shares to direct shares. Also, that it would reduce significantly the number of shares they could buy from Dave King. Like most on here, I really appreciate what DK has done for the club, it's not too much to suggest that without him we may not have a club at all now given what went on before. But something has changed and I don't know what.

The club 1872 model is fine with independent, skilled directors. The problem is a lot of professional people avoid it because it can be a bit of a poison chalice. Also the "clique" of the current directors means they control the agenda through majority which is where the current problems are coming from.
The model is there to protect the club and its fan base from rogues so it can’t be perceived to behave in a non consensual manner. I think you get commercial and technical leadership from the football club board and they can have strong individual and collective voices in their own directorates but what is missing is the ‘fans view’ (I get that some of the current board are massive fans). An organisation like 1872 exists to represent the fans not themselves therefore they have to appeal in a more consensual way and get broader representation. We can all get behind safe standing, we can all get behind improving disabled facilities, improving policing or whatever it is that is non commercial that matter to fans. Perhaps it’s input to how mygers points are calculated or better toilet facilities for wifies. There’s loads of things but it needs to be a fans group and not 3 people, however well meaning they are and in fact it’s not just the 1500 or so who have been described as legacy members that they should be serving but the whole fan base. That’s where it comes to leadership and I’d say the majority on here seem to be saying that it’s not what they want. I honestly don’t think it matters who leads it if it doesn’t have a vision and it seems to be a bit of a mess as the Dave King share issue demonstrated.

Can't disagree with you, there. There is no reason at all to believe that the current board is talking closely with C1872, never mind coming close to offering it a seat on the board.

Even worse, I fear, is that this proposed share offer seems aimed at Club1872 and, for whatever reason, its relationship with Dave King. The Board must know that a fan offer such as this, with the money going to the football club, would result in a goodly number of fans switching from C1872 shares to direct shares. Also, that it would reduce significantly the number of shares they could buy from Dave King. Like most on here, I really appreciate what DK has done for the club, it's not too much to suggest that without him we may not have a club at all now given what went on before. But something has changed and I don't know what.
It looks exactly like that mate.

Precisely my thoughts. I’ll be investing £ in the share issue and at that point I’ll stop donating to C1872

If those 3 on the board lose power and are replaced by transparent board members, I’ll restart my membership and invest in C1872 in the future

I’ll no longer fund their vanity project, nor do I want my £ going towards a paid consultant

The Club1872 model (donations rather than investment, members' cash going to the ex-chairman instead of the club) is no longer credible. Rangers know this and that's why they've offered fans the opportunity to bypass C1872 and invest their funds directly.

Club1872 previously provided an excellent way to get cash into the club but it's served its purpose. Membership of C1872 will inevitably dwindle now.

I’m torn on this one.

I’m planning to invest in the new share issue, a low level contribution but I’m keen to play a part and own a few shares in my name. I‘m also contributing to the Club1872 legacy scheme as it does support their primary objective of raising the supporter ownership stake in Rangers and it is also buying via this share issue as well as via DK. So it’s still driving that main aim of increasing its shareholding. However, the governance and transparency issues concern me. The whole affair around such a respected individual as Rev Stuart MacQuarrie concerns me. And the candidates putting themselves forward for election to the board are not jumping out to me as agents for change. I’d have thought there would be more candidates to be honest. Overall I am once again considering whether or not I want to continue donating money to Club 1872, it’s getting harder and harder to justify even though I support the main principle which is why I’m currently still hanging on in there.

I find it baffling that following on from the release of Rev. MaQuarrie’s letter that there appears to have been no response far less a rebuttal (unless I’ve missed it?) from the current Club 1872 directors. I have absolutely no trust in them now hence why I cancelled my direct debit and cannot envisage restarting it unless wholesale changes take place. I can’t believe I’m the only one who has taken that view and therefore it’s hard for me to see how they can significantly grow their current percentage of the total shareholding. Also with their website currently stating they have 1,528 legacy donations, down from 1,571 at the beginning of the month, the target of 20,000 seems pie in the sky and begs the question what are they actually doing to try and increase the numbers?

I cannot get my head around now these clowns are still in office.

Serious question, what constitutes/qualifies someone to be of the director/representative quality? Can anyone apply? It sounds like any one of us could do a better job.

What a damning letter in every sense of the word.

When certain people think they can act within their own jurisdiction without consulting the other board members, or it's membership then it really is time to have a complete rethink as to why these people are in the position they are.

Reading that letter from the Rev Stuart MacQuarrie and the contents within, leaves you with no other conclusion than to think. The actions of certain members of the board and their behaviour towards him, tells you all you need to know in relation to how his position within Club1872 became unattainable.

Club1872 should never have been used as a platform to initiate ones own goals, that's up to the membership to decide and I would go further and say, the bullying tactics that have been shown to have taken place have no place whatsoever, within the framework of Club1872.

How ridiculous a thing to say is that, but that is most certainly the case here.

Club1872, it really has to get it's act together or it will get diluted into the back ground and all it would've achieved is a total lack of trust and respect from within our support and that would be a travesty for all concerned.

Last edited:
I’m a club 1872 member. Can anybody point me to the Stuart MacQuarrie letter as it seems to have been deleted from the link on the first page.

He was a best naive but his behaviour after they were ousted and DK and the new directors took over wasn’t exactly supportive. I believe he is close to that destructive wannabe politician from Ayrshire and bad mouthed the club because because they were not invited on to the Board.
Walter stepped away as soon as he realised what was going on. Others like MM enjoyed the blazer.
He wasn't wearing a blazer when I was in his company in a London Pub watching Airdrie v Rangers in August 2013 along with a few members of the London Loyal.

If everybody who worked at Ibrox during the spiv years were "wrong uns" Walter and Ally would be getting a right roasting on here for evermore.

He wasn't wearing a blazer when I was in his company in a London Pub watching Airdrie v Rangers in August 2013 along with a few members of the London Loyal.

If everybody who worked at Ibrox during the spiv years were "wrong uns" Walter and Ally would be getting a right roasting on here for evermore.
Correct. It's high time Bears moved on and dropped the self-righteous fury. No-one has any right to insult Rangers employees who happened to be at the club when it was run by a shower of crooks. How would MM's critics like to be judged on the actions of their employers?

Thought I was on your ignore list. :D
In light of the seriousness of this thread, it's good that we can have a wee bit of a distraction.

And with that, I'm just surprised this thread is so long, as I thought you were on everybody's ignore list. :rolleyes:;)

I'll admit being unusually late to the party on these issues, but I have been very confused in recent days and by recent events.

From my reading, would this be a fair reflection of where things stand?

1. There is an obvious divide between Dave King and current Rangers Board, and has been since DK stepped down.

2. King supports the current Club 1872 Board and Chris Graham, and there may be some animosity between the King-backed CG, Club 1872 and the Rangers Boardroom, with one bone of contention the appointment and role of David Graham as Head of Communication, perhaps a role that CG may have fancied?

3. 3 x Members of the Club 1872 Board have taken control of the whole group, and use their voting majority to retain full autonomy, and as such proper governance may or may not be being eroded? (Strangely eerily similar to how Ashley / Easdale's Llambias etc controlled the Rangers Boardroom up until 2015?)
Based on this control, Rangers have become uneasy with some of the actions of Club 1872, a communication from 1872 to Castore being a prime example?

4. Based on point 3 (above) the Club 1872 Board wish to retain control, and only want their own approved candidates available for any selection. As such, previous members have been barred, and our very own Mark Dingwall has also been "black-balled" as he would be unlikely to support practices that prevent transparency and good governance.

5. The alliance between Dave King and Club 1872 sees King get some money back for his shares if 1872 can summon the readies from the membership.

6. The Club have countered this with their own direct share offering in an attempt to prevent Club 1872 wielding more influence.

7. Malcolm Murray and perhaps one other "independent" put themselves up for election at the recent C1872 polling, and who like Mr Dingwall would present a threat to the 1872 Board, and Dave King took to print just before the elections to do a hatchet job on Malcolm Murray to try and sway the vote.

8. This is a civil war shit-show that can and will only hamper the fantastic resurgence of our club, and risks letting our rivals back in the game if we are not careful.

I can’t believe DK had any interest in C1872 other than they are the only party which will buy his shares off him.
He’s always wanted his money back and he deserves it after what he has done for us but I reckon that’s what his thing with 1872 is. Tidy sale to Rangers fans. Nothing wrong with that but not necessarily the best thing for the club.

We can all draw on our own conclusions regarding Mr Kings shares, the bigger picture at the moment is. Club1872 and the trust we have with the present board and the damage it is inflicting on our club, at what should be a time of strength.

Clear and true transparency is certainly being abused and that has to be addressed by all concerned, for the greater good of Club1872 and Rangers Football Club as a whole.

I'll admit being unusually late to the party on these issues, but I have been very confused in recent days and by recent events.

From my reading, would this be a fair reflection of where things stand?

8. This is a civil war shit-show that can and will only hamper the fantastic resurgence of our club, and risks letting our rivals back in the game if we are not careful.
The rest of the post seems reasonably accurate as far as anyone can gather from what people involved have been saying publicly.

I don't agree that point 8 is accurate though. The running of C1872 has absolutely no bearing on the operations of RFC (company or club). All C1872 can do is invest money by buying shares, which is good. It does not have supporter influence and isn't 'activist' in any way (unlike say the UB are).

This will not affect us as we head for Champions League and a domestic season against a rival who require root and branch rebuild under a manager with next to no knowledge of the league. We are in a damn good place and as much as this may be a 'civil war shit-show' (which is a bit hyperbolic I see it more as petulant adults chucking the proverbial rattle out the pram) it is not going to hamper anything.

The rest of the post seems reasonably accurate as far as anyone can gather from what people involved have been saying publicly.

I don't agree that point 8 is accurate though. The running of C1872 has absolutely no bearing on the operations of RFC (company or club). All C1872 can do is invest money by buying shares, which is good. It does not have supporter influence and isn't 'activist' in any way (unlike say the UB are).

This will not affect us as we head for Champions League and a domestic season against a rival who require root and branch rebuild under a manager with next to no knowledge of the league. We are in a damn good place and as much as this may be a 'civil war shit-show' (which is a bit hyperbolic I see it more as petulant adults chucking the proverbial rattle out the pram) it is not going to hamper anything.
I disagree.

A substantial shareholder (C1872) that is disenfranchised could become a problem.

It becomes a further problem when such a shareholder is competing with the RFC Board to the tune of £6.75m, at a time when the club is still losing money every year.

And in general, a civil war between stakeholders is not good for any business, healthy and challenging debate is.

Aftet all the club has been through, most people should know better, and realise our strength is in unity and solidarity.

I’d like to think it’s more a case of DK wanting the shares in the ‘right’ hands. I’m sure he could sell them off piecemeal to various investors/institutions if he chose to do so.
If that was the primary focus he could gift them to C1872.

He wan'ts paid - fair enough - no need for the C1872 spin.

I can’t believe DK had any interest in C1872 other than they are the only party which will buy his shares off him.
I'm still a contributing member of C1872 and will continue to support it, even through this utter but hopefully temporarily, mess is over. I've offered Robert Marshall my membership number to call a GM, i'm not favouring any side other than original ethos and concept of c1872. Although i believe C1872 does need to change, or it will stagnate and decline.

I never though the prospect of buying Dave King's shareholding was ever a real possibility, now it looks like to me anyway, DK's shares are simply a pot of gold waiting at the end of the rainbow for the C1872 membership. We'll never get to the end of this particular rainbow, in the meantime it gives DK an interest in C1872, but it stagnates with the infighting. We need new blood, new ideas and get C1872 back on track, although i'm getting confused to where that tracks is heading, but I'll continue to stick with it for a while yet, see where its heading and any new ideas to get it there.

Correct. It's high time Bears moved on and dropped the self-righteous fury. No-one has any right to insult Rangers employees who happened to be at the club when it was run by a shower of crooks. How would MM's critics like to be judged on the actions of their employers?
They weren’t his Employers. He was Chairman because he wanted to be. It wasn’t his day job.

The Club1872 model (donations rather than investment, members' cash going to the ex-chairman instead of the club) is no longer credible. Rangers know this and that's why they've offered fans the opportunity to bypass C1872 and invest their funds directly.

Club1872 previously provided an excellent way to get cash into the club but it's served its purpose. Membership of C1872 will inevitably dwindle now.
100% but that will leave quite a significant stake of club in the hands of a few individuals who nobody elected. This is all our money and our shares.

We should fold the whole organisation and disperse the shares to current investors with the aim that the cost of shares goes directly into the club.

I don't see any future whatsoever for C1872

100% but that will leave quite a significant stake of club in the hands of a few individuals who nobody elected. This is all our money and our shares.

We should fold the whole organisation and disperse the shares to current investors with the aim that the cost of shares goes directly into the club.

I don't see any future whatsoever for C1872
I agree. C1872 has a business model which has outlived its shelf life. The C1872 board members have shown their inability to respond to the need for change. I can't see where they go from here.

Back