The letter from Rev Stuart MacQuarrie which prompted me to stand for Club 1872

Right am I being sceptical here but Malcolm Murray being up for election looks very suspicious that these are hand picked.

Always seems to be people with some former connection that gets put forward. Would’ve been good to see someone without any prior connection being put forward

If that guys previously been connected with C1872 I’d have zero faith him questioning the status quo

Murray is tainted after his last involvement in the club as far as I’m concerned, want him no where near C1872

Poor Hoggan is tainted by association with the current board, whether that's fair or not.

Stockbridge filmed Malcolm Murray being helped out some place drunk by Jim Park.

Malcolm Murray certainly has proper experience.

Surely that’s not the Malcolm Murray from Charles Green’s board? The Malcolm Murray who signed off the Sports Direct contract?

Will be interesting to see who backs him.

Surely every member of C1872 have been informed directly of these elections & the candidates?
They will have been but doesnt mean @mdingwall should be deliberately hiding the discussion in here.

The thread title makes no mention of the elections, people coming to the forum will not know its being discussed.

I was under the impression anyone with a enough proposers can stand for election to the board?

Are these the only 3 people that out themselves forward? Excluding MD, of course.

I have to be honest, and I recognise this makes me a bit of a hypocrite because I didn’t put myself forward, but I am underwhelmed by the options.

Malcolm Murray has a strong background, the sort that should be involved with C1872...but his association with the spivs and the onerous contracts taint him for me. Yes, he saw the light, but he was part of the darkness and was close enough to it that he should have seen it earlier. That may be unfair of me, but he’s too closely associated with some awful memories for me to have whole hearted trust in him.

Hoggan has obviously been in the C1872 “tent” for a while and so I’m a little sceptical of how much he will challenge the existing, highly unsatisfactory status quo. That may, again, be unfair of me to judge him for that, but I’m just thoroughly dissatisfied with the incumbents and perhaps damning him by association only.

Irvine is an interesting option. I know he worked with the RST previously, and I think was well regarded and respected, but I also seem to remember him bumping his gums in the press about legal action against the spivs...which seemed empty words as nothing ever happened.

Others may know these guys and it would be great to see some kind of debate on their merits and qualities. It would help those of us who don’t know them make up our minds.

I was under the impression anyone with a enough proposers can stand for election to the board?

Are these the only 3 people that out themselves forward? Excluding MD, of course.
I believe there was at least one other candidate who applied but was rejected because 1 or more of his proposers was “ineligible “. The candidate wasn’t told who the ineligible proposer(s) were though.

Malcolm Murray will definitely be getting my vote.

One of the few good guys that sat on the board during the Spiv era and an allied of Paul Murray when the pair of them along with Scott Murdoch & Alex Wilson stood as the requisitioners at the 2013 AGM.

Green,Ahmad & Stockbridge set him up with the drink video footage because they needed to get rid of him off the board to continue their financial raping of our club.

As for someone a few posts back blaming him for the Sports Direct deal,it was Charles Green and he never let MM see the contract.MM got inside info out to the likes of Paul Murray & Keith Jackson trying to expose what was going on behind the scenes.

Against my better judgment I did join a while ago when we were in the middle of trying to wrestle control back of the club. But there were some shenanigans and infighting within the board there shortly after and I just pulled my membership straight away, inevitable internal politics and nonsense and I am not going to be funding people having bunfights and ego trips.

PERSONAL STATEMENT

I believe I can help grow the membership, cashflow and install high levels of corporate governance and transparency, which will be a beacon for other clubs to follow and for FAs to admire. I have spent a lot of the last nine years trying to bring the people that hurt Rangers to justice. This has been both costly and dangerous. I have the highest level of referees available and influential contacts in finance, football, media and politics- which will be used to Club 72’s advantage.

I think the highlighted part speaks volumes.
Was there not rumours at the time of him receiving threats ?

Against my better judgment I did join a while ago when we were in the middle of trying to wrestle control back of the club. But there were some shenanigans and infighting within the board there shortly after and I just pulled my membership straight away, inevitable internal politics and nonsense and I am not going to be funding people having bunfights and ego trips.
Club1872 was formed 14 months after King & co had wrestled control of the club back mate.

PERSONAL STATEMENT

I believe I can help grow the membership, cashflow and install high levels of corporate governance and transparency, which will be a beacon for other clubs to follow and for FAs to admire. I have spent a lot of the last nine years trying to bring the people that hurt Rangers to justice. This has been both costly and dangerous. I have the highest level of referees available and influential contacts in finance, football, media and politics- which will be used to Club 72’s advantage.

I think the highlighted part speaks volumes.
Was there not rumours at the time of him receiving threats ?
Quite a few did.

A quote from Tinker, Tailor . . .

"The art of being Gerald is to be one with a crowd."
I’ve got to admit, I’m totally obsessed with Le Carré’s Smiley novels- in particular the Carla ones. Alec Guinness in the BBC adaptations was superb as were the rest of that cast. The more recent film with Gary Oldman was poor by comparison imo ( even though I enjoyed that too)

I believe there was at least one other candidate who applied but was rejected because 1 or more of his proposers was “ineligible “. The candidate wasn’t told who the ineligible proposer(s) were though.
No, his tweet history was deemed unsatisfactory.

I'll speak for myself. Like me or loath me, you will never find anything anywhere that I have done anything against the Rangers Support, quite the opposite

I have emailed Club 1872 various times and never had a reply, I have asked how many members have we lost since the present board took over. No reply
I would like to know why 3 individuals took the decision to agree pay an individual shareholder £13m without public consultation with the members ( no matter how much I admire that individual )
If we have £13m it should be going direct to Rangers
These 3 Board Members position is untenable and should resign.

I have no doubt they will have changed the rules to make this difficult, I have also no doubt, with my experience of CIC's they will have broken various rules while doing so.

As for Stuart McQuarrie, it was me that proposed him and I can say without one shred of doubt that he is one of the most principled and honest people you would ever have the good fortune to meet
I would bet my life his account is 100% accurate.
It's not if they should resign, it's when they should resign and that time is now

The saddest thing for me Robert, reading this thread in its entirety, is the clearl loss of the ethos of a "members led fan organisation"

The power to make some of the decisions you have alluded to should rest with the members and that clearly has not and is not happening.

The culture of how the organisation is run has to change - with members, where practically possible, deciding the route the organsiation should go. The power of this organisation needs to rest with the members - no-one else.

I keep hoping (but not expecting) that C1872 will get it's act together and become a transparent, well governed organisation, where people can be expected to do their best for all its members. Each time, I am disappointed and now enough is enough. I have cancelled my direct debits (I have two) and am standing down as a member. I believed in C1872 and fan ownership but I no longer believe in C1872. So, I have registered my interest in the pending share issue on the basis that if they are in my name, then I don't have worry about those who would look after them.

It seems as though the RIFC board feel the same way. If it goes ahead, the new share offer will dilute C1872 from 5.1% to around 4.7% and leave it well down on the 7.9% "holding" this new fan share offer represents - all assuming the price is 20p. Finally, after all the debate about the rights or wrongs of C1872 trying to buy a major part of Dave King's shares, this offer almost certainly derails that because most fans can't afford to "buy" shares both directly and through C1872. In any event, most fans would wish the proceeds to go to the Club, not a reflection on Dave King, to whom we all owe a huge debt of gratitude, just the need to look to the future not the past.

I contributed £20 a month to Rangers First then club 1872 for almost 6 years before stopping my DD. Am I a member still of club 1872 or did membership lapse when I cancelled my DD?

I contributed £20 a month to Rangers First then club 1872 for almost 6 years before stopping my DD. Am I a member still of club 1872 or did membership lapse when I cancelled my DD?
It’s lapsed. You are no longer a member. However, if you sign up in the future again, which I hope you do, then you have the exact same day as you had before. 1 member = 1 vote.

No, his tweet history was deemed unsatisfactory.
Sham
The saddest thing for me Robert, reading this thread in its entirety, is the clearl loss of the ethos of a "members led fan organisation"

The power to make some of the decisions you have alluded to should rest with the members and that clearly has not and is not happening.

The culture of how the organisation is run has to change - with members, where practically possible, deciding the route the organsiation should go. The power of this organisation needs to rest with the members - no-one else.

It's true, but I'm afraid as I keep saying the membership is largely passive and will positively vote for the majority of resolutions. This has contributed largely to the board driving and dominating decision making, not sure how you ever change that.

Stockbridge filmed Malcolm Murray being helped out some place drunk by Jim Park.

Malcolm Murray certainly has proper experience.
Malcom Murray fronted up for the horrible crew who were running our club into the ground. He was happy to strut about as Chairman and helped prop up the regime.
Graham Wallace was another guy who appeared lifted about £350k for a years work and contributed eff all. Then there was Mather the slick salesman who would give ye the boak.
thank God for our current board!

Back