The likely background to the Times story on the Taxman and the Tax bill

Albertz Loyal

10 out of 11 clubs in the SPFL voted to relegate us to the Championship, Killie abstained. It was then up to the SFL who voted we start at the bottom because they all wanted a piece of the Rangers pie.
Sfl,spfl didn't exist at the time.
That was only formed when the spl realised their tv deal was fckd... Was all about the money

Midfield General

My belief is Whyte always planned to put the business into administration shed the debt and sell the Club to a preferred buyer (ie him or one of his cronies)At a knock down price via a pre pack arrangement.
He could then milk the debt free club for a couple of years them sell it on at a massive profit and disappear into the sunset with his millions and in his head a hero for"saving"the club.It all blew up when HMRC blocked the administration attempt.

johnnybravo

Looking forward to someone from the board going on the attack,

they will, won’t they, or should I not hold my breath?

dapper dado

Nobody gonna comment on how amazing Gillian Anderson looks on the front page of the times?

No?

I'm guessing the yahoos will find some more use for their intimate knowledge of tax accountancy and ill Phil will be doing some furious one handed typing as more funds roll in from the gullible masses. Manna for these fannies. Can't wait for all the 'informed' yahoos coming up to me to me in work to 'inform' me of what this actually means.

HandsomeHead

People calling for investigations and litigation and reparations on here..

In reality it will all quietly go away

Rangers won’t see a penny and the perpetrators of this crime will never be punished
I'm not sure about quietly, but you'd imagine it will rumble on for years if it does reach the courts and any compensation will be to the oldco assuming they manage to pull the brakes on liquidation.

Bknowe

I think they would have had the necessary amount to block a CVA whatever - there’s the “wee tax case” debt as well and it’s only 25% that’s required to block.

The real issue here I would think is that the exaggerated figures created a situation where the only sort of person Murray could sell to was someone like Whyte.
I agree to a point Marty.

HMRC mayve could have still blocked it, but had they done so for a much smaller amount, then there would have been an outcry.

Blocking a CVA with £94m is a lot easier to justify than blocking with £15m. I get it was their policy to vote against CVAs in England due to the football creditors rule. But given that their vote was essentially the only one that mattered due to them over-egging a bill, is an utter sham & I hope BDO now dispute every bloody penny of their remaining claim.

warfieldranger

10 out of 11 clubs in the SPFL voted to relegate us to the Championship, Killie abstained. It was then up to the SFL who voted we start at the bottom because they all wanted a piece of the Rangers pie.
They actually voted to expel us from the SPL. If the SFL hadn't then voted to let us join their league we'd have been left to find some other league to play in.

In the end it wasn't quite that simple, as an agreement was probably in place for the SFL to accept us at the time of the SPL vote.

LetsGo

Didn’t Dave King mention a while back about doing something with the oldco?

BDO will take a massive cut in fees from what they ingather, so millions more from hmrc is millions more from them in fees first and foremost.

Apparently a company can come out of liquidation:

"Administrative Restoration"

bert

Does anyone have contact details for BDO. Surely a shareholder can make contact and demand an answer?

47blue

Surely there must be "tax lawyer's" salivating at the thought of getting their teeth into this? Could this be taken on on a "No win, no fee" basis. Whilst it would be nice to get money back, I want those responsible exposed and jailed.

Super A

So if we sue HMRC then any money raised goes to oldco and is used to pay the debts, MOST OF THE DEBT IS TO HMRC

Sorry if this has been covered.

millar2318

Looking forward to someone from the board going on the attack,

they will, won’t they, or should I not hold my breath?
In reality it's nothing to do with the current board though is it? It related to the previous holding company, so the current board im not sure have a stake in this at all. Yes it affects us as supporters of the club and we've all been through hell, but the current board rescued us from that. If events hadn't transpired the way they had due to liquidation, it might not even be the same people in charge now

Charing

From a purely football perspective the question now seems to be this- would the Scottish football authorities have had any justification for throwing Rangers out solely for having used EBTs?

williewoodburn

Dont forget Mhanks Chairman John Reid was still a high flyer at Westminster when HMRC set the ball rolling on this whole mess. Then we had the Dermot Desmond/Mike Ashley Bahamas link. Still plenty background to be properly uncovered on the whole carry on. I firmly believe the Mhanks were the instigators but didnt expect us to go to the lowest division. They would've been happy to see us financially hamstrung for a couple years, redirect a few titles, and have us demoted for just one year. They ended up getting more but at least McCoist saved the titles. Cunts.

Its astonishing that not just HMRC and other official parties involved screwed us over royally but the national press did so as well. There were y few who gave credence to statements about the figures being vastly inflated. The press sensationalised things to a degree that if you tried to question what was going on then you were branded as a lunatic. BBC were very prevalent in us being assumed guilty. Will we see justice for those who lost their jobs, for us who have been through years or torment at the way our club has been treated? I doubt it as though who sought to bury us will turn to shadows and we will still be left with the question of what might have been.

Turrabear

Interesting that nonce fc suddenly changed it’s stance a few weeks back and decided to tell it’s fans to vote down resolution 12 after 7 years?

No smoke without fire, I suspect they know this story is about to blow up big time and they will be implicated.
Wasn,th that just due to the fact that they didn,t have a leg to stand on.

Dont forget Mhanks Chairman John Reid was still a high flyer at Westminster when HMRC set the ball rolling on this whole mess. Then we had the Dermot Desmond/Mike Ashley Bahamas link. Still plenty background to be properly uncovered on the whole carry on. I firmly believe the Mhanks were the instigators but didnt expect us to go to the lowest division. They would've been happy to see us financially hamstrung for a couple years, redirect a few titles, and have us demoted for just one year. They ended up getting more but at least McCoist saved the titles. Cunts.
He very much was however there are darker forces than him at large as governments have come and gone since then so the perpetrators were still pulling strings and covering their tracks.

Coisty09

Official Ticketer
I’m sure that info about the reduction was in the last BDO report. That must have come out at least a couple of months ago now.

Surely hasn’t taken them this long to work it up into a story?

I’ve no doubt that is at the root of the story but there must be more to it surely?
The reduction was in the last BDO report.
This is old news in a lot of ways.
However I’m not sure if the news that people are not to be pursued for penalties has come yet.

1Hamburg

Sir Alex said a couple of years ago
that nobody has ever been able
to give him a reason what Rangers
were punished for.

Dougie Gray

The reduction was in the last BDO report.
This is old news in a lot of ways.
However I’m not sure if the news that people are not to be pursued for penalties has come yet.
The last reported also stated that BDO were working to further reduce liability

RWL12

This makes me feel sick, its bad enough what we wnet to but to think it could have been avoided is just sickening
I might be misunderstanding here, but is "avoided" the word. Avoided, yes, if it was a mistake. But if there was something more sinister at play, and people wanted Rangers put down at all means, then we couldn't have avoided it. They would have found a way.

Will happily delete this if Im wrong, and do still agree with the sickening part.

Grigo Yossarian

This is a thoroughly important point and one that is often overlooked. HMRF could have been £10M to the good, ended up with nothing but spunked away untold millions in flogging a dead horse.

They have to be held to account for this.
I’m pretty sure that they accepted a similar amount from Arsenal.

I’d like to understand why the different approach from them for us ?