The list of managers Mccinnes topped is scary

Anyone who had McInnes at the top of a list for anything should never make a decision again regarding football at Rangers.
Let’s not forget Pedro, and the flirtation with Murty, as well

I wonder sometimes how we went from Caixinha and McInnes to Gerrard, but whoever was responsible, it was a masterstroke.

With the benefit of hindsight that sure is a scary list of contenders.
It's also a reflection of the rudderless ship we were at that time.
As for Ally McCoist's role in all of this,I would argue that he was the only anchor we had at the club when we were in crisis.
Apologies in advance if anyone takes issue with the nautical references.

McInnes would have taken is forward, we would be comfortable second, 10 points of the top

Gerrard was a master stroke.. he had literally raised the standards of the club from top to bottom.

He'll be very hard to replace and I hope we are putting plans in place now because I don't think he'll be here beyond this season

Mcinnes certainly was not King's preferred candidate
Correct Bro. The book ‘55’ quotes DK “I was surprised at the level of interest in McInnes from within the boardroom, I was standing alone from the board”. He went on to say “SG is a winner who knew 2nd best was not good enough”, my take from that was DM is NOT a winner.

The more you think about it the more obvious it becomes how perfect Gerrard was for the job. Someone who had experience of putting a team on his back, getting back up and going again with the same mentality when things didn’t work out. Simply driven to win.
McInnes turning the job down to stay in a relatively comfortable but mediocre job tells you he was never right for Rangers, especially at that time.
Let’s not forget that Gerrard was a gamble and one that paid off handsomely

Anyone who had McInnes at the top of a list for anything should never make a decision again regarding football at Rangers.
I did!
I was that desperate for change
I remember seeing Steven Gerrard 66/1 as next manager
No I never stuck a pound on it
His name just suck out that night

and sadly I can remember Jim shite breaking the news that Derek and Thimmy didn’t want to come

Walter thought Ally would be a good manager.

Sometimes Walter, love him as I do, is more loyal than thoughtful.
I dont think so, hence he has never got another job and likely doesnt want or need one.
McCoist was brought back to Rangers by Walter as part of the Coaching setup, he had a role to play then and did it nicely but he was never a Manager.

Even presented with the cake walk of the Scottish Lower Leagues he mad hard work of it while squandering a fortune on poor players and developing none of his own. As much as hes a top man, as a Rangers manager he was a total disaster.

DM may be a better Manager than his recent record suggests. He had done well previously but clearly stayed at Aberdeen way too long and regressed very badly. The poor performances badly affected him and he would have brought that negativity to Rangers at a time when we need a huge boost. Had he become manager we would be in a colossal mess and perhaps irreparably so.

We had reached the point where everything required a change on and off the pitch, it needed a very special personality with a bow lined with strings of gold. It only happened with Gerrard.

As for DM hed do well to take a job outside of Scotland and make a fresh start, anything else and its Aberdeen II.

never thought
McInnes would have taken is forward, we would be comfortable second, 10 points of the top
always felt this. If anything he would’ve been a stepping to steady the ship but thankfully we got SG

Maybe mcinnes knew Rangers needed better then him and put his love for the club before his own career. I know I’m being naive

Were we not something like 10 points clear of celtic before administration hit he was obviously doing a good before everything weng tits up

15 points clear of Them early November, but that had evaporated to 4 points behind by the time administration and the points deduction hit mid-February.

The fabled ‘new manager bounce’ perhaps or maybe that lot were just abysmal early doors.

Let’s not forget that Gerrard was a gamble and one that paid off handsomely
He was a massive gamble.A rookie manager at a massive club which was having major problems.
Thankfully it has worked and a big part of that is who he brought with him.
Can always remember plenty angry words spoken on here about him though when we were on that dreadful run of form a couple of years back.

I’ve said this before but I could totally see why they went for Mcinnes at the time. He was rumoured after Warburton and I didn’t want him. After Caixinha though I could see why in lieu of any other real candidates why they went for him. I think he would have steadied the ship a bit…possibly even have one a cup in the first two seasons.
It wouldn’t have come even close to the shape we are in now. SG was a gamble but it’s been terrific. The set up of the club now means that even though I dread the time when SG leaves (next summer IMO) im confident they’ll have someone good lined up in his place.
I’ll always be grateful to McInnes for turning us down.

Half of Follow Follow thought he'd do a good job and were all in favour of the shitebags appointment.

There again three quarters thought Charlie Green would be good for us at the time of him arriving and anyone who suggested otherwise was quickly shot down in flames or even banned.

I was right about both these two from the very start but must admit I was 50/50 at best about Stevie G! Oh well 2 out of 3 ain't bad as Meat Loaf would say! B-D

Duck sake that’s horrific, from the same group that brought us pedro I suspect

I don't think he'll be here beyond this season

What makes you think that? He's contracted till 2024 and I deem him to be a loyal guy. His Liverpool career is evidence of that. If the Liverpool job were offered he would take it but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Correct Bro. The book ‘55’ quotes DK “I was surprised at the level of interest in McInnes from within the boardroom, I was standing alone from the board”. He went on to say “SG is a winner who knew 2nd best was not good enough”, my take from that was DM is NOT a winner.
Mcinnes was not DK’s choice but his quote is rewriting history. Only one of the Directors at that time was championing Derek McInnes and all of the others including DK reluctantly accepted that McInnes was the best of a bad bunch and we then offered him the job. One of the reasons he turned it down was he sensed he wasn’t everyone’s choice. The 6 managers on the list were Allardyce, Pardew, McLaren, Moyes, Dyche and Warnock. Some of them were ruled out very quickly as we couldn’t afford them.

Back