The Louden: Elsewhere

Alcudia in Mallorca would be brilliant. Opposite end of the island from Santa Provo, decent number of bears visit in the summer and indeed have property over there.
Plus there is a ready made premises that is currently a very successful sports bar over there potentially about to be made available….

Alcudia in Mallorca would be brilliant. Opposite end of the island from Santa Provo, decent number of bears visit in the summer and indeed have property over there.
Plus there is a ready made premises that is currently a very successful sports bar over there potentially about to be made available….
Majorca is seasonal.
Not many people go from October onwards.

Thanks for the information Robert.
Good news about the OSP depending how it reopens.
May be different Greyhound?
The one that was on FPR was latterly Southern Belle and been closed for years.
Currently showing as available to rent POA.

Interestingly when it made its name as the Greyhound in 70s/80s as a live venue with famous bands when they were upcoming it was run by a great Rangers fan Duncan Ferguson who is sadly no longer with us.
Can you tell me where it is to rent, might be able to buy freehold

Thanks for the information Robert.
Good news about the OSP depending how it reopens.
May be different Greyhound?
The one that was on FPR was latterly Southern Belle and been closed for years.
Currently showing as available to rent POA.

Interestingly when it made its name as the Greyhound in 70s/80s as a live venue with famous bands when they were upcoming it was run by a great Rangers fan Duncan Ferguson who is sadly no longer with us.
Duncan's stories about the Greyhound were legendary.
Sorry to go off topic.

Talking about this in July when we where there.
But it’s a April-October resort.

That’s why Tenerife is perfect and get all the games over the winter plus the holiday peak season.
Wouldn’t like to think he would try to cut Geordie Mac’s grass out there. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You need a market pool of at least ten thousand Rangers fans, I think London would be the only place in England hat would have that anmount

Across the whole of the north west you might not be that far off it. Build a base and they'll come!

If it was a decent location you would also just get locals coming in to watch other games as well. Many have Rangers as their 2nd team.

Also the number of Scottish Rangers fans that are working during the week down here or are down for a weekend is huge.

I have been doing a wee bit of digging this week into most of the places people have put forward
London, 100% it would work but costs are prohibitive, nearly £300K a year for rent alone. I spoke to people I know about the other sites with Malaga being the only other one with a realistic chance of being a success, difficulty would be getting a venue big enough with a freehold
Looked at a Place in Tenerife and they were asking£1m for a place with a space of 200m
Might be better to look for a snack bar lol
If I had the opportunity, I’d definitely take up the Malaga option. Look into it mate. Malaga bar will be forever, a lot of places will be for few year only.

London is a must have, cost will be a lot. Bring folk in on a couple year partnership to test the waters on that one.

The issue is getting to buy freehold, you obviously know that’s what you’d want, rent can be a pain in the arse, especially if you make venue become successful, owners will just rip rental away.

Cyprus, Paphos. Gap in the market there? Regularly see people posting on here for somewhere to watch Rangers games there.

Wouldn’t bother with Belfast. Enough Rangers clubs / pubs to cover the market. Would no doubt do well on big games and on the 12th with visitors over, but apart from that most of the Prods are armchair Liverpool and Man U fans.

Superb especially the Bob Marley one.
He is also infamous in some of the other pubs round here from the old Greyhound days.

If I had the opportunity, I’d definitely take up the Malaga option. Look into it mate. Malaga bar will be forever, a lot of places will be for few year only.

London is a must have, cost will be a lot. Bring folk in on a couple year partnership to test the waters on that one.

The issue is getting to buy freehold, you obviously know that’s what you’d want, rent can be a pain in the arse, especially if you make venue become successful, owners will just rip rental away.
There are a lot of pubs for sale in Malaga, one or two are really cheap if you fancy it
My idea would cost between£800K and £1m, so I would need to be totally convinced it would work

My first thought outwith the UK was Tenerife or other Canary Islands.
Pretty much guaranteed all year round decent weather and holidaymakers.
Also Germany comes to mind... love their pubs, football and from what I've seen and heard have a good overall understanding of what Rangers are all about.

Somewhere in the Canary Islands, where you're guaranteed 12 months of the year regular custom.

I'm sure you would do your research and find the most suitable location.

Not much winter trade though.

London - good sports bar culture and plenty of resident and weekly visiting bears looking for somewhere to go during week, mostly on expenses, especially in The City

In London, you need to be near the rail termini, Waterloo, Victoria, Liverpool St, all 150m pax in a normal year, maybe Euston/Kings X-STP, (bear in mind that the Elizabeth Line is changing the footfall of everything), and you’ll need to attract the fans of all teams barring the green and shite, so I’d do a football themed bar in red white and blue. That way you can be flexible. If you have a museum type theme eg Temple of Football, or something, you may be able to attract the foreign tourist fan too.

Anyway, lots of market research would be necessary, find out where fans generally drink en route to the stadiums, and afterwards, (same whether you aim for NYC, LAX, or the old smoke).

For all year round tourist footfall, lack of competition if want to keep it mega themed & just for a class place to be based from your families point of view got to be Orlando.
The worst £/$ exchange rate in 30 odd years added to a living crisis where long haul holidays will be a luxury beyond most families is a leveller though.

Across the whole of the north west you might not be that far off it. Build a base and they'll come!

If it was a decent location you would also just get locals coming in to watch other games as well. Many have Rangers as their 2nd team.

Also the number of Scottish Rangers fans that are working during the week down here or are down for a weekend is huge.

Believe me there’s no where near those numbers in the north west, that’s what we have done at The Gallant Pioneer and it would be great to see some more bears from the region for live matches, People also think that Blackpool is like it was in the 70s and 80s as regards with how many Scots live here couldn’t be further from the truth these days sadly. We have around 30 “regulars” and of that 2/3 come to watch most games from Bradford and a woman and her kid from Wigan for every game so we rely on the bears down on holiday for our trade and in the summer and we ever grateful for the support we get from the Rangers family

Believe me there’s no where near those numbers in the north west, that’s what we have done at The Gallant Pioneer and it would be great to see some more bears from the region for live matches, People also think that Blackpool is like it was in the 70s and 80s as regards with how many Scots live here couldn’t be further from the truth these days sadly. We have around 30 “regulars” and of that 2/3 come to watch most games from Bradford and a woman and her kid from Wigan for every game so we rely on the bears down on holiday for our trade and in the summer and we ever grateful for the support we get from the Rangers family
See you on Wednesday

There are a lot of pubs for sale in Malaga, one or two are really cheap if you fancy it
My idea would cost between£800K and £1m, so I would need to be totally convinced it would work
A Freehold on a pub abroad is way too risky now IMO...

With the economy nosediving and the Net Zero Agenda can we be sure there will be the same level of foreign travel going forward?

Would you not consider a Leasehold or such like?

Back